News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

SidB's Repaints - Revisiting the Past

Started by SidB, January 30, 2021, 01:32:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidB

Quote from: TooOldForDinosaurs on October 19, 2022, 02:07:26 PMSimple but stunning. It looks very much alive!  :)
Yes, it's a fine piece. I'd wish that they still existed, but humans would probably have hunted and butchered them anyways. Too few people who'd care.

Bokisaurus

🤣 you know I got the very same models from hi,too! Beautiful and glad they are done in the 1:35 size so they scale nicely with the PNSO dinosaur 😃
I'll post the painted version when I have the time.

SidB

Quote from: Bokisaurus on October 20, 2022, 03:50:25 AM🤣 you know I got the very same models from hi,too! Beautiful and glad they are done in the 1:35 size so they scale nicely with the PNSO dinosaur 😃
I'll post the painted version when I have the time.
I'm quite curious to see what you've done with yours, B @Bokisaurus . Looking forward to it.

SidB

I picked up this old Carnegie Safari Diplodocus of the 1989 lineage, specifically from Mold 2, version1 (see Dinoguys's classification on his Carnegie site), at a local thrift shop. Very glad to get it, but it was in mediocre condition because of numerous paint rubs and scrapes. It passed through my friend Chris' hands for a serious touch-up and finishing (not quite a total repaint), and here is the result:

Quite a massive chunk of classic plastic, isn't it! Here's a quick shot of it in comparison with the later Carnegie Safari release and the Wild Safari Diplo:

ceratopsian

A good rescue!  The comparison shot is illuminating. I hadn't realised it is so big.

SidB

Quote from: ceratopsian on October 22, 2022, 07:31:22 AMA good rescue!  The comparison shot is illuminating. I hadn't realised it is so big.
It's as heavy as one might suspect, given its size. I believe that this is the dinosaur figure on the shelf of Alan Grant's office at the opening of Jurassic Park. So it is a classic in more than one way.

Halichoeres

Looks like your friend did a good job matching the colors! Good as new.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

SidB

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 31, 2022, 06:19:28 PMLooks like your friend did a good job matching the colors! Good as new.
Usually I do my  own color matching for minor jobs. That saves time and money as well as saving his time for the more serious projects. I think that the disappointment that some people experience with minor painting flaws (price related) on Safari figures can easily be alleviated by acquiring a bit of skill in this area. Besides which, it's both satisfying and fun.

In any case, Chris did a really nice job restoring this old piece.

SidB

Today I'll trot out my CollectA Bajadasaurus repaint, which some of you may recognize as owing its inspiration to B @Bokisaurus (check out the review). If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, then this piece fits the bill, because I was quite taken with Boki's repaint and wanted one for my own. The essential difference is our enhancement of the neck spines with an incursion of the dark chocolate brown into their root bases and also used as a wash up their length, which integrates them more effectively into the overall look. Chris tells me that it was a bit of a pain brushing the color into the very flexible spines. The nails also received a similar treatment.

Again, thanks, B @Bokisaurus , for your inspiration.

Halichoeres

That's a nice effect, makes the whole thing feel a bit more alive.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

ceratopsian

That works really well - it looks so much more natural than the factory version.

Bokisaurus

S @SidB  fantastic! I'm glad you were inspired by the repaint, makes a huge difference and doesn't require much in terms of adding paint or labor.
Perhaps one day CollectA will consider giving this beautiful model something similar to break up the harsh waterline between the colors.
You guys did an amazing job with the repaint 😃

SidB

Thank you, B @Bokisaurus , though if I'm not mistaken, you've also taken the same figure and developed the paint work further- to splendid effect. Myself, I decided to keep the relative simplicity of your earlier figure to keep a visual relationship with the factory figure.

SidB

Quote from: ceratopsian on December 03, 2022, 03:22:34 PMThat works really well - it looks so much more natural than the factory version.
True- perhaps it takes the original to a more suitable conclusion. Thanks!

SidB

SidB

I was in a rather nostalgic mood, so I decided to paint up a tribute to the late paleoartist Brian Franczak, who passed away in 2020 at the age of 65. He was the one, for those who may not be familiar with his contribution to the famous Battat T-rexes (original 1990's issues), whose paint scheme adorned versions 1, 2 and 3 of these classics. For reference, here they are:

I had an extra tenth anniversary Carnegie Safari rex hanging around, so I gave it a similar treatment as a tribute. I'm quite sure that I've seen a similar repaint somewhere on the Forum, years past, but for the life of me, I don't remember where. In any case, it no doubt served as an inspiration. Here's the result:

SidB

Hey, I've picked up a few classic Invicta figures, most in very good shape, both monochrome and painted. The problem is that several of the painted figures are NOT factory paint jobs and I'd like to remove that paint. It seems to be a hard acrylic, possibly a Tamiya product. Any suggestions on what to use without damaging the underlying hard plastic? Advice would be appreciated!

Halichoeres

Franczak had a wonderful eye for color!

On paint stripping, it depends. Sometimes I've gotten paint off by just peeling it with a little help from dish soap and a toothbrush in crevices, but if they primed it that will be difficult. Alcohol might do the trick. Acetone or paint thinner definitely will but you'll want to be really careful to not let them sit too long.

SidB

Quote from: Halichoeres on December 15, 2022, 03:22:32 PMFranczak had a wonderful eye for color!

On paint stripping, it depends. Sometimes I've gotten paint off by just peeling it with a little help from dish soap and a toothbrush in crevices, but if they primed it that will be difficult. Alcohol might do the trick. Acetone or paint thinner definitely will but you'll want to be really careful to not let them sit too long.
Thanks for the advice - I'll be very careful. I'll have acetone, isopropyl alcohol and I think, Simple Green, in my arsenal.

Baryonyx

It's a great colour scheme, the yellow giving the paradoxical message of 'Danger! Stay Away!' , a bit like a toxic frog.

Interesting to see the inversion of the pattern on the legs done by paintbrush rather than airbrushed (?) stripes on the original; the sharper deliniation makes the pattern pop as a whole (if I may say so, not to say anything critical of the original). Thanks for sharing!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: