News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

SidB's Repaints - Revisiting the Past

Started by SidB, January 30, 2021, 01:32:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidB

Thanks, avatar_Pliosaurking @Pliosaurking , it took some while to decide to go in that direction. It's good to get some feedback confirming that the scheme is effective.

SidB

I was originally inspired by the repaint/ resculpt done by avatar_Dobber @Dobber as detailed in his thread back in 2016 on this board. Decided not to employ white and to make the pattern more complex and to work towards a visual flow from back to front. So it ended up rather different, but I think that the element of inspiration is still visible.

Stegotyranno420

I love this "skull"(?) design, like those depicted on the Merkit tribe(I'm not sure if they are historically accurate, but still super cool) in Mongol: Rise of Genghis Khan on Tyrannosaurs, it kind of reflects their Eurasian origins and brutality.
Great repaint you have here :)

ceratopsian

Wow!  That is superb, love the colours and the pattern. What a difference from the original!

SidB

SidB

One thing about this 2015 feathered T-rex figure - I am surprised at how quickly CollectA deleted it from production. It is very difficult to find on eBay, at least during my occasional searches for it. it was replaced by the partially feathered rex of which I'll be showing our repaint shortly. The latter, in my estimation, is a less impressive piece, though more accurate, likely, and is still readily available. They do make a neat pair together, and blend well with the other three smaller releases. CollectA took a very different approach in deleting this figure, in comparison with Safari, who have kept their terrific feathered rex and even supplemented it with the soon to be available Dino Dana repaint (waiting for mine from Dan's).

SidB

Now, by contrast, here's the 2018 version of CollectA's T-rex. This one, being only somewhat feathered, mostly scaly, posed a different challenge, since I wanted it to still co-ordinate with the 2015 feathered version. What do you think:

And, the original:

Pliosaurking

Another fantastic repaint S @SidB
I prefer the paint scheme on this new repaint, but something about the other Rex makes it look more intimidating and fearsome. I think it's the eyes
All in all, Great job!

SidB

Quote from: Pliosaurking on July 20, 2022, 04:40:00 PMAnother fantastic repaint S @SidB
I prefer the paint scheme on this new repaint, but something about the other Rex makes it look more intimidating and fearsome. I think it's the eyes
All in all, Great job!
Thanks. Personally, I think that the 2015 is a better sculpt, especially with most of the seams covered over, but, yes, the 2018's paint scheme is striking (which it was intended to be). Glad you liked them

SidB

I should mention that the crest was left on the 2018 one as it is meant to be the male.

SidB

Here are the remaining members of the CollectA feathered rex family:

SidB

I'm adding some previous repaints displayed in the Battat re-issue thread to this one. First up are those repaints of the classic Dan Lorusso / Greg Wenzel Battat series from 1994-98 that Dan intended for release before his untimely death, but were never made available by the enigmatic Battat company. In painting these figures, we followed his coloration schema as closely as possible. All were from duplicates (or triplicates) in my collection. Enjoy.

These are my tribute to a great paleoartist, whose whose work for the community was greatly admired and appreciated. Since these particular repaints would have never otherwise have seen the light of day, here they can be perused and seen for what might have been.

JohannesB

Those are some of the loveliest repaints/original paint schemes I have ever seen for these figures, they fit them so very well.

SidB

It's more than a bit melancholy to view them - so beautiful, but also now consigned to the past.

Pliosaurking

Beautiful work, they are spot on to those prototype images!

Concavenator

Congratulations for those Battats, S @SidB , that's probably as close as someone can get to own those unreleased reissues.

Halichoeres

Wonderful to see these, if a bit wistful. Please congratulate the artist on my behalf.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

TooOldForDinosaurs

Beautiful repaints! My favorite are the Maiasaura and the Styracosaurus.
Quote from: SidB on August 18, 2022, 12:13:02 PMAll were from duplicates (or triplicates) in my collection.
... :o  :'(

SidB

Quote from: JohannesB on August 18, 2022, 02:26:41 PMThose are some of the loveliest repaints/original paint schemes I have ever seen for these figures, they fit them so very well.
Yes, Dan had selected some striking combinations - shelf appeal for sure!

SidB

Thanks, avatar_Pliosaurking @Pliosaurking , avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator  and avatar_TooOldForDinosaurs @TooOldForDinosaurs , appreciate these positive comments. Very pleased that you enjoyed them.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: