News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

SidB's Repaints - Revisiting the Past

Started by SidB, January 30, 2021, 01:32:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidB

Quote from: Halichoeres on August 18, 2022, 04:43:34 PMWonderful to see these, if a bit wistful. Please congratulate the artist on my behalf.
Yes. He's very skillful - his best work (Warhammer, 40K) is a marvel to behold. While I wouldn't call these pieces slumming, his specialty painting is a tier above.

ceratopsian

Lovely to be reminded of these pieces. Such beauties to have in your collection.

SidB

Quote from: ceratopsian on August 19, 2022, 10:33:57 AMLovely to be reminded of these pieces. Such beauties to have in your collection.
Thank you. Yes, they ARE appreciated. Even though my Battats have been displaced from my display shelves by the PNSO/Vitae/ GR, etc. and the extensive Wild Safari/Carnegies, they still have a treasured place in my collections.

Pachyrhinosaurus

It's great to see them again. The painter did a great job matching them to the prototypes. The originals are classics, but some, such as the maiasaura, are in my opinion improvements on the original color schemes.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

SidB

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on August 19, 2022, 09:13:23 PMIt's great to see them again. The painter did a great job matching them to the prototypes. The originals are classics, but some, such as the maiasaura, are in my opinion improvements on the original color schemes.
Chris, the painter,  is very painstaking in his approach to his work. That is a good match, because I'm prepared to be patient. It certainly makes finally holding the completed figure in my hands all the more satisfying, I feel. And you're right, some of these repaints are substantially better than the originals. People seem to have their own favorites, but the Maiasaura might be the most popular one. Myself, it kind of depends on my mood, I suspect, but I usually favor the Styracosaurus.

SidB

Continuing the transferring of our repaints from other threads into this central locus, I'm moving this Vitae Giganotosaurus over here. This was one of the late factory products, hastily painted with a very cheap sparkling paint that was reminiscent of sequins. Very cheap looking, but acceptable because it was retailing for 25 USD, so it was repainted as follows. I find it interesting that it was originally very well reviewed on the DTB, some even considering it superior to the Eofauna Giga, yet it seems to have disappeared from much of the general consciousness. There is such an evanescent quality to a considerable portion of the fan hype on the DTF, as elsewhere, so it seems proper to return this figure to a bit a prominence, if only for an instant.

Leyster

Quote from: SidB on August 23, 2022, 01:46:28 AMI find it interesting that it was originally very well reviewed on the DTB, some even considering it superior to the Eofauna Giga, yet it seems to have disappeared from much of the general consciousness. There is such an evanescent quality to a considerable portion of the fan hype on the DTF, as elsewhere, so it seems proper to return this figure to a bit a prominence, if only for an instant.
I agree, to me it's still the best Giganotosaurus figure around. Great repaint of it!
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

SidB

Thanks, it is a handsome piece.

SidB

The latest additions are two Mike Eischen 3-D prints from Paleo-Sculptures.  These are extinct Cenozoic mammals, in a stated scale of 1/35, originally in a dark gray resin.

Coelodonta - Wooly Rhino

and a Toxodon

They are very welcome additions to my 1/35 - 1/40 Cenozoic collection.

SidB

I've always admired the old Kinto/Favorite 'soft' dinosaurs and have gradually acquired all of the commonly available ones over the years. As fellow collectors know, unusual versions of these figures become available in Japan, but are seldom available, never being common. I have one such 2004 T-rex, but have had to buy the standard version and get it repainted in order to satisfy my desire to have an exact replica of the other unobtainable variants.

Before looking at these rexes, I'll first turn to the 2004 favorite Triceratops, with the common version below:

I find it interesting that although the front feet in this 2004 are retro, with five nailed weight-bearing toes, the jaws are cheekless, which is now becoming acceptable (preferred even) again.
Now, the 'black' version, an authentic figure of which I was able to get hold, for comparison -

Finally, a copy we made, as close as possible, to Favorite's variegated version, very distinctive from the other two, quite unique. You may be able to track down am image of the original online.

Halichoeres

I briefly owned that blotchy version of the Triceratops, although it was somewhat worn (secondhand). Yours looks a damn sight better!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

ceratopsian

I like the blotchy effect very much. I never bought the original!

SidB

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 08, 2022, 08:57:21 PMI briefly owned that blotchy version of the Triceratops, although it was somewhat worn (secondhand). Yours looks a damn sight better!
It sure helps when it's just received a fresh paint job! If on one hand it usually presents itself to my eyes as a bit outlandish, on the other, it is kind of garishly cool, in a paradoxical sort of way.

SidB

Quote from: ceratopsian on September 08, 2022, 09:23:54 PMI like the blotchy effect very much. I never bought the original!
No surprise that it never landed on your doorstep, given its relative scarcity, even back in the day, avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian . Of course, neither did it materialize in my mailbox either, but is a meticulous recreation of the 'blotchy' (good descriptive) original from the standard paintjob. It seems that I have a bit of a fascination with these type of repaints - so I'll be posting a few more today on this thread.

SidB

I've always been fascinated by the T-rex and that's a fascination (obsession?) that never abated over the years. Perhaps it's fitting that I include (for now) in this short parade of repaints the tyrant King/Queen. Apologies to those who are suffering under the glut of rexes.

Favorite produced some interesting 'soft' figures of this overdone genus in 2004 and 2013. I'm especially a fan of the 2004 version, of which I acquired the two variations below. You will immediately recognize them.

The green

And the brown

Not being willing to leave well enough alone, but desiring the more uncommon variants, long unobtainable, I commissioned Chris to repaint three standard brown ones into the variations below:

The black and blue

The blue and black

And the exotic one

SidB

To conclude the Favorite repaints, I'll share this figure that I picked up on eBay from the now inactive member avatar_thelordsgym @thelordsgym , another 2004 Tyrannosaurus, but painted by avatar_copper @copper , I do believe. I had the eyebrows repainted from the light blue that she had originally painted, but it otherwise remains the same:

I really liked her color scheme, so I had the 2013 version painted to match it. Here's two unmodified 2013's and another repainted 2013 with copper's 2004:

SidB

The latest addition to my finished collection of 1/35 Cenozoic mammals, another rhino, the  Teleoceras, painted in gray tones with a slight beige/ tan accenting around the ears, horn and nails. A Paleo-sculptures product, again.

Due to their low price, 12-15 dollars, it's a lot quicker to acquire these than to process, so I've got a bit of a bottleneck in the works. Hope and expect to have more available to show in the early new year.

Dusty Wren

That's a lovely paint job. The hints of brown around the horn, ears, eyes, and hooves really draw the eye to those details. Looking forward to seeing more of these Paleo Sculptures painted up!
Check out my customs thread!

SidB

Quote from: Dusty Wren on October 19, 2022, 01:50:54 PMThat's a lovely paint job. The hints of brown around the horn, ears, eyes, and hooves really draw the eye to those details. Looking forward to seeing more of these Paleo Sculptures painted up!
Thanks, hopefully it won't be too long. Currently I have a sauropod repaint ongoing, but then they can be tackled.

TooOldForDinosaurs

Simple but stunning. It looks very much alive!  :)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: