News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Japanese novelties - New for 2023 (various companies)

Started by Halichoeres, November 14, 2022, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Up for preorder: a snap-together model kit from a company called Wave:

Futabasaurus with alternate head and neck pieces. Available at BBTS and probably elsewhere: https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/225425

avatar_DinoToyForum @dinotoyforum and avatar_BlueKrono @BlueKrono might find it interesting, among others
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

DinoFan2010

Very interesting, but where can I find it in the US?

___🦕 🦕 🦖_________

Faelrin

Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Halichoeres

Coming next year from Bandai, a series of snap-together model kits from Bandai ("Plannosaurus"). I mentioned this in the New for 2022 thread, but they're slated for spring release, except the Mosasaurus which will be summer.

Mosasaurus

Stegosaurus

Triceratops

and Tyrannosaurus

They come with a skeleton model...

...as well as pieces to put on as a shell. As far as I can tell these come pre-painted.

Over9K

Here's the Planosaurus T.rex. You can build it either with feathers or without, and the skeleton model is articulated.

Halichoeres

New set of Eikoh miniature dinosaurs. These might actually have come out a couple of months ago, but I only heard about them in the last week, and I imagine most people here who end up with them will get them in 2023.

Edited with names in the Latin alphabet:

Maiasaura, Quetzalcoatlus, and Tyrannosaurus have appeared in Eikoh Miniature Planet dinosaur sets before in different poses. This size format is perfect for small pterosaurs that would scale with dinosaurs from other lines, yet Eikoh has only made Quetzalcoatlus and Pteranodon, which seems like kind of a waste.

Faelrin

Hard to get a good look at it, but that Ornitholestes doesn't look half bad. It's a genus that rarely gets any figures either.

Flaffy

Waiting on better pics of the Ornitholestes and Kosmoceratops before deciding.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Faelrin on December 30, 2022, 08:05:43 PMHard to get a good look at it, but that Ornitholestes doesn't look half bad. It's a genus that rarely gets any figures either.

Yeah, I definitely plan to get it. It looks like it a) doesn't have the erroneous nose crest, and b) has the best proportions of any Ornitholestes to date. I might get the Guanlong too. I'm happy with the Favorite Co version, but I wouldn't mind having one at a small size too. This one could be around 1:35.

Another addition to the Bandai Plannosaurus line, Velociraptor:

Weird that it's transparent, but otherwise looks pretty decent.

Flaffy

Quote from: Halichoeres on January 04, 2023, 06:57:38 PM
Quote from: Faelrin on December 30, 2022, 08:05:43 PMHard to get a good look at it, but that Ornitholestes doesn't look half bad. It's a genus that rarely gets any figures either.

Yeah, I definitely plan to get it. It looks like it a) doesn't have the erroneous nose crest, and b) has the best proportions of any Ornitholestes to date. I might get the Guanlong too. I'm happy with the Favorite Co version, but I wouldn't mind having one at a small size too. This one could be around 1:35.

I think the current best one is the Mattel version? But tbh it doesn't look like Ornitholestes at all, and I'm just using it as a Coelophysis in my JP/JW collection.

Have the listings for these been put up on the Eikoh store yet? Usually they come with more angles of the figures.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Flaffy on January 04, 2023, 07:19:16 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on January 04, 2023, 06:57:38 PM

I think the current best one is the Mattel version? But tbh it doesn't look like Ornitholestes at all, and I'm just using it as a Coelophysis in my JP/JW collection.

Have the listings for these been put up on the Eikoh store yet? Usually they come with more angles of the figures.

The Mattel is my current favorite, but the competition isn't exactly fierce. If memory serves, Mattel's was released around the same time as a rumor circulated about a Segisaurus that never appeared. The sculpt would work much better as a Segisaurus, or a Coelophysis as you suggest.

I actually don't know Eikoh's web site, so I'm not sure. I haven't seen individual photos of any of them.

Faelrin

That Velociraptor almost looks like it could qualify as undead. Very interesting design choice. The skeleton looks nicely done though. I might try to pick it up sometime next year, just for that part of it, especially since these seem on the cheaper side of things (under $30). Just wish there was an affordable plastic (miniature) version of the famous Fighting Dinosaurs fossil.

JimoAi

Quote from: Halichoeres on December 25, 2022, 09:10:17 PMComing next year from Bandai, a series of snap-together model kits from Bandai ("Plannosaurus"). I mentioned this in the New for 2022 thread, but they're slated for spring release, except the Mosasaurus which will be summer.

Mosasaurus

Stegosaurus

Triceratops

and Tyrannosaurus

They come with a skeleton model...

...as well as pieces to put on as a shell. As far as I can tell these come pre-painted.

Love the bulk of the Mosasaurus and the color! Only faults holding it are the seams and the tiny bit of shrinkwrapping but other than that it's v good! This year seems to be a good year for mosasaurs!

Halichoeres

Yeah, I think the seams are impossible to avoid in a figure like this where you assemble it.

stargatedalek

Most of them look to have a lot of fun articulation, aside from that Velociraptor. Shame, it's an overall good design if it had the articulation (and some colour) it could have been pretty cool.

Sim

Does anyone know how big the Eikoh figures are?  I'm very interested in a few of them, especially the Ornitholestes and Eikoh's 2017 Archaeopteryx.  The Guanlong I'm quite interested in too but it would have been better if it hadn't been blue since it's unlikely filamentous feathers could be that colour.

Halichoeres makes a good point about how good it would be to have small pterosaurs from Eikoh.  I would love a Rhamphorhynchus!  And I would also like an accurate Velociraptor from Eikoh to replace their 2017 JP version.

Halichoeres

avatar_Sim @Sim They vary a bit, but generally about 6 or 7 centimeters. Roughly 2/3 the size of a Kaiyodo Dinotales or CapsuleQ figure.

Sim

Thanks Tim!  It looks like the Guanlong will be 1:40 scale if we're lucky, but the Ornitholestes could be around 1:35 scale.

Also, to follow on from my previous comment, I've seen that Eikoh has made one or two more Velociraptor figures that are Jurassic Park rip-offs.  I still hope they make an accurate Velociraptor one day.  Since almost all the figures I'm interested in from Eikoh are feathered I hope to do my part to send them the message I like small feathered animals and would be interested in more.

Sim

Does anyone know when the new Eikoh mini series will be available?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: