News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Fembrogon's Bestiary (post-2020)

Started by Fembrogon, January 06, 2022, 10:04:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fembrogon

SAFARI LTD (WILD SAFARI) - fall 2022

Safari Ltd. is where it all started for me; through the Carnegie Collection and the Wild Safari series, this was the brand which stood out from the crowd as a higher standard of toy. Today the industry has probably triple and even quadruple the competition, Safari remains one of the champions for combined quality and affordability in their line. They might have their quirks from time to time (like any brand inevitably will), but unless something truly drastic happens in their future (I certainly hope not), Safari Ltd. remains my favorite producer of prehistoric animal toys.

Figures by year:

Brachiosaurus - my sole "pre-renaissance" Wild Safari figure that's not in storage. I think this is one of Wild Safari's best early efforts; it's got great form and a strong sense of charisma to it. I also greatly prefer this color scheme to the newer all-green scheme (ironically), if only for the application.

Liopleurodon - the quintessential pliosaur post 1999. In some ways I actually prefer Collecta's version over Safari's, but Safari is definitely the finer-made of the two.

Acrocanthosaurus - a decent model that gets overshadowed by other companies' takes (the Battat Terra was my preference before). I'd be interested to see a slightly retooled version of this model in the future, maybe with more bulk to the tail and more modestly-sized feet.

Ceratosaurus - another decent model that might benefit from a little retooling. Oddly, as much as I remember wanting a "good" Cerato in my collection as a kid, once I got one (the earlier Wild Safari version) I wasn't really in a rush to add any more. Now that both the prior Wild and my Battat Terra versions are in storage, though, this one suffices well.

Vagaceratops - a genus I had never heard of until this figure was released. I'm guilty of having glossed over it in the past, but it really is a fine model that illustrates Doug Watson's sculpting skill and talent with herbivorous dinosaurs.

Monolophosaurus - I recall being somewhat excited by this release since it was a more novel theropod choice at the time; but it sure took me long enough to actually acquire it! It's a bit odd-looking in the skull, but otherwise decent.

Anzu - I've long been aware of, and fond of, the oviraptorosaur Chriostenotes, so I was pleasantly surprised to learn it had a much larger cousin also in North America. The green & red/blue patterns are a welcome color palette.

Daeodon - a hog from hell! A bit different from the Walking With Beasts entelodonts I grew up with.

Hyaenodon - I was taken aback by how big this figure is! It's the dominant mammal figure in my collection right now, save for my Carnegie mammoth.

Macrauchenia - the "prey" animal for the predators (sorry). It's my understanding that this animal's appearance has been revised in recent years; I'd be curious what an updated toy would look like.

Regaliceratops - another fine Doug Watson ceratopsian, although I really think "Hellboy" would benefit from more color or patterning on the frill at least.

Carnotaurus - another theropod I've actually been slow to represent in my collection much; I was satisfied with the Battat Terra and never bothered with any other versions. This is a fine model all the same, however - arguably better made than the older Battat mold, even.

Coelodonta - the classic woolly rhino has scarcely looked better in plastic. I'm a little surprised there aren't more woolly rhinos currently in production.

Megacerops - I've never been great with prehistoric mammals, but "Brontotherium/Brontops" is one I definitely grew up familiar with. While Collecta's version is more dynamic, it's a bit larger than I prefer, so I appreciate Safari's edition.

Prestosuchus - the 2009 Postosuchus is one of my all-time favorite Safari models, and while the Presto isn't quite as excellent-looking this is still a splendid figure of a Mesozoic non-dinosaur predator.

Spinosaurus - the controversial giant. Honestly this isn't one of my favorites, as well-made as it is; the color scheme and crocodile skin feel rather stereotypical. I also finally realized why the hind limbs have looked so odd to me: it's hard to distinguish the ankles and tarsals, so the figure almost appears plantigrade.

Citipati - the "real" Oviraptor. This is certainly a genus deserving of more toys, and like the Anzu I welcome the more varied splash of colors featured. How about a Gigantoraptor or Rinchenia next, Safari?

Concavenator - honestly a solid figure in hand, to my eyes, with the thick black mouth line being the only real drawback.

Deinonychus - "Oh dear, oh dear, gorgeous". This model and the Velociraptor from 2017 outclass nearly every other static "raptor" toy on the market so absolutely it would hilarious if it wasn't so tragic. The most iconic dinosaur group of the 21st century and it's one of the most poorly represented in toys. PLEASE give us more dromaeosaurs, Safari!!

Dilophosaurus - although haplessly badly timed, this is still a solid little figure and probably the best representation of the genus out there, until the BotM releases (or if someone like PNSO surprises us). The Collecta is technically more up-to-date, but not as finely made.

Ichthyosaurus - I've been hearing some people say this model looks more like Opthalmosaurus...? Either way it's lovely and well-overdue for Safari's lineup.

Edmontosaurus - a hefty update from the previous Wild Safari figure (which was pretty good in its own right).

Qianzhousaurus - this model is bigger and better in-hand than in photos, although I still dislike the color scheme; the way the greens and oranges blend just look grimy or something. I suppose one of these days I could seriously consider learning to customize my figures...

Sarcosuchus - how every company making dinosaurs hasn't produced at LEAST one "supercroc" already is beyond me, but I suppose it would be hard to beat this figure if they did. The sculpt does a fine job being modest yet inherently imposing in size and stature.

Shringasaurus - we definitely need more Triassic oddities like this one from Safari and other brands.

Styracosaurus - a terrific update that was a long time coming. I think we've got a good coverage of this genus now, between Safari, Collecta, and PNSO - great options at different sizes and price ranges.

Baryonyx - another update from Safari's older days that was a long time coming. I'd hemmed and hawed about getting Collecta's or even Schleich's versions (while futilely pining for the Favorite), but then this model arrived and none of the rest mattered to me anymore. This is definitely a favorite for me from Safari's last few years.

Daspletosaurus - we can't let T. rex keep ALL of the attention, now can we? Safari has started building a nice new gallery of updated tyrants.

Spinosaurus - the dark horse of 2021. Besides being more brittle in plastic, I really think the sculpt would have benefitted from a more distinct pose; early photos had me thinking it was aiming for a bipedal stance, which would have distinguished it better from its current contemporaries. I like the color scheme, though.

Feathered Tyrannosaurus (Dino Dana) - I already have the regular version in storage, but I felt it would be good to have at least one big, high-quality rex with me; what better option for the price? The exchange of dark reds for more brown/yellows is a mixed result, but it's just copying the official design in this case.

What a curious year this turned out to be for Safari; repercussions from 2020 events are still rippling through the industry. However, Safari still managed to provide a nice variety of figures, the last of which (prehistoric-wise) has finally made it in stock. Here are my selections from this year's offerings:

Patagotitan - an exciting new addition to the Prehistoric World line, even though it's not quite as commanding in presence as some of the other sauropod models on the market. Dreadnoughtus next, maybe?

Albertosaurus - another check off the old Safari/Carnegie list, and what a striking new depiction! My only nitpick is how abruptly the aqua patterns stop behind the skull; otherwise this is a very eye-pleasing model.

Zuul - another exciting new addition. The paint apps are a bit sloppy and flat, but it's nice to have another dinosaur that isn't yellow/brown/orange!

Cryolophosaurus - The last golden egg, and possibly my favorite of the bunch. I was already pleased with my Battat Terra Cryo, but I LOVE this color scheme and it balances beautifully so far. A fine sendoff to a long collecting year.

My 2022 selections all together:

And that's it for 2022!!   ...Well, almost. Since making several of these posts I've managed to add even more items to my bestiary; but rather than compile everything all over again I'll just focus on new acquisitions from now on (and whatever else I feel like at any given time). Collecting can be a real drug, can't it?  :))

bmathison1972

With the exception of the older WS Brachio and the newer bluer Spino, this looks exactly like my dino shelves!!!! Recently noticed my Monolophosaurus doesn't want to stand anymore

Halichoeres

Great selection. Safari is outnumbered in my collection only by the extremely numerous Life game miniatures. They strike a good balance of affordability, accuracy, and artistry. I do wish they'd make prehistoric TOOBs again, though...
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Fembrogon

More Toobs would be most welcome indeed! Honestly I wish they'd at least update their main dinos Toob, as classic as some of those minifigures are. There are plenty of other opportunities for prehistoric Toobs as well, though.

Fembrogon

RECENT ACQUISITIONS (2022 Oct 26)

With the year coming swiftly to an end, I'd better finish up covering the current collection!

The following items are all Japanese-based, purchased with the good assistance of avatar_brettnj @brettnj through Mercari and other means. Sometimes one never knows what surprises will pop up online.

Favorite Soft Models (Museum exclusive): Fukuiraptor kitadaniensis
I bought this figure for a little more than I would have preferred (I'm a cheapskate sometimes), but considering it was complete in box I figured I wasn't going to get a better deal than what this one was listed for. It's a pretty nice figure overall, but honestly it suffers from most of the same issues plaguing the standard-release figures, which tempers my recommendations somewhat.

Takara Tomy: Dinosaur Colosseum (2019 reissue)
I came across one of these without a clue as to what they were at first. These models are slightly bigger (?) than the ANIA figures, and less articulated. A previous release of this set featured a Brachiosaurus, but it was the new Giga which caught my eye.

Giganotosaurus - easily the standout figure, although it still shows some dated features. The figure has a more naturalistic appearance than the other three.

Tyrannosaurus - kind of a generically ugly rendition, honestly. The difference in design between this and the Giga is almost night and day.

Raptor - yes, it's simply labeled as "Raptor". I think that says a lot. I think I'd have rather this be the figure that got axed for the reissue.

Triceratops - an even more old-fashioned design, albeit a pretty well-detailed one. I can't help thinking this figure looks rather lonely and depressed as the sole herbivore of the set.

The Access: 3D Dinosaur Picture Book

Another unexpected discovery from Mercari; this one was followed up on by brettnj and I was able to secure a complete set from the company. The "3D Picture Book" title seems to be playing on the box set style; there is no genuine book included whatsoever.
These are fairly pleasant little figures, with a decent variety of genera. They're not quite of the same caliber as, say, newer Safari Toob figurines, however; and if you're used to the likes of Kaiyodo than these won't be worth a second glance. It's another novelty for the bestiary, at least.
The figurines:
Spoiler

Tyrannosaurus

Triceratops

Spinosaurus

Stegosaurus

Deinocheirus

Kamuysaurus

Amargasaurus
[close]

Fembrogon

RECENT ACQUISITIONS - PNSO PREHISTORIC ANIMAL SERIES

I have to admit: PNSO is a hard brand to say no to sometimes. Their models may be on the more expensive side, but I've not yet regretted a purchase from them. Mind you, I always wait for a sale, so that helps a lot. I ended up acquiring a few more models from the main line than I expected to this late into the year, but some of these have quickly become favorites.

Chuanzi the Tarbosaurus (no. 051, acq 22/11/10)
This is perhaps the best-balanced model in my entire bestiary. Even some of the figures that comes with stands aren't as stable as this one. While Tarbosaurus isn't specifically a favored genus of mine, I've been interested for a while now in seeing one or more of the reputable brands take a shot at the Asian tyrant, if only as a departure from a billionth T. rex figure. Chuanzi fills that void nicely; my only criticism is that the articulated jaw doesn't appear engineered right, resulting in stress on hinge when opened. At least one other person mentioned that here before too; hopefully it's not a widespread issue.

Xiaoqin the Tsintaosaurus (Museum line, acq 22/11/14)
Here's a figure I never would have acquired without a good sale (my thanks to whomever alerted me to the flash sale at Happy Hen). Don't get me wrong: this is a lovely figure, and another welcome upgrade for a genus with little representation. However, the figure is smaller than their Lambeosaurus, while costing three times as much. I felt like I was buying the BOX more than the figure. PNSO could have easily shrunk the packaging by half with plenty of room still for the model, the base, and the supplemental paper materials stored inside.

Lu-Xiong the Zhuchengtyrannus (no. 058, acq 22/11/14)
This was another flash sale acquisition, and boy am I glad I grabbed this one. I wasn't particularly invested in gaining this model at first, being a fragmentary genus that's basically another T. rex; but now that I have it, I must say this is one of my favorite theropod figures possibly ever. It's, just, gorgeous! I don't know how else to put it! PNSO has produced a tyrannosaur that feels nearly perfect in science and aesthetics. My copy isn't as solidly balanced as the Tarbo, but it still stands just fine in most cases. The articulated jaw is also unexpectedly addicting: it blends so well and opens so smoothly I'm constantly playing with it when I have the model out. This is probably the best tyrannosaur on the market, for my money, and it's not even a T. rex proper!

Jacques the Deinocheirus (no. 064, acq 22/11/17)
Deinocheirus is a genus I'll happily watch get made into a toy again and again; it's such a delightfully bizarre (and amazingly complete!) dinosaur that it deserves to be represented in every toy line and collection. Having said that, part of me wonders if any future releases will be able to step up; PNSO's is surely the best version of the animal to date, and that's on top of two already-good figures from Safari and Collecta. I am sorry to report that my Jacques started tipping over a while ago, but it balanced perfectly for a good couple of weeks at least. I appreciate PNSO including an unobtrusive stand for so many of their models.

Qingge the Therizinosaurus (no. 065, acq 22/11/17)
Therizinosaurus has been one of my favorite dinosaurs for a long time, once again due to how very strange it was; so I was always excited to see a new theri toy on the market. Now that I'm more discerning about my toys, however, I've gotten pickier about representing this animal. PNSO's rendition is pretty much the ideal version I've been longing for, capturing the creature's inherent weirdness without exaggerating or understating the natural anatomy. I hope we see more maniraptorans and feathered dinosaurs from PNSO in the near future.

Big Asia beasts group shot

SidB

That's a splendid sweep of terrific acquisitions. Yes, it's really tough to say no to these PNSO's, especially when they come up on sale. I don't regret getting any of these either, avatar_Fembrogon @Fembrogon . These Asian beasts have been a real treat.

Halichoeres

Thanks for the close-up shots of the Access figures. That's an interesting little set. A step up from the Hayakawa dinosaurs sold in a similar format.

Obviously the PNSO figures are very nice too!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Fembrogon

RECENT ACQUISITIONS (2022, November 11)

I've been a bit tight with funds recently, but I've been bad and keep allowing myself "just one more" purchase. This was my final haul from AliExpress for the year, with some discount perks.

Vitae Giganotosaurus (repaint)
I'm almost always game for more carcharodontosaur models if they're good, but the original Vitae release was well beyond my price range. The newer, "standard" repaint is much more agreeable, although the model still has some quirks that have me rating it lower overall than Eofauna's or Safari's renditions. It's a BIG figure, though, and that's cool for display; I underestimated the size of the thing.

Vitae Tiantaisaurus (standard)
It's nice to have another quality therizinosaur on the market. although I understand this particular genus might be dubious. My model is ALMOST capable of standing on its own, if only one or two toes were aligned better. It's a nice model otherwise, albeit still a tad pricey in my opinion.

PNSO Prehistoric Animals, no. 022 (med size ver) - Gaoyuang the Microraptor
I haven't bought myself a Microraptor since the Carnegie model, despite significant changes in the animal's known appearance; I was having trouble picking one that appealed just right to me. PNSO's smaller-scale figure fits the bill nicely, however.

PNSO Small Model assortment
Along with the Micro, I added a few more small models to the bestiary, focusing on the smaller & more unique genera. I definitely hope to see more small animals/models from PNSO in the future.

Individual models:
Spoiler

no. 032 Yi-yi the Yi

no. 028 Luffy the Anchiornis

no. 039 Yuyan the Sinosauropteryx

no. 027 Ricky the Keichosaurus

no. 035 Xiaoyou the Tianyulong

no. 036 Finch the Atopodentatus
[close]

Fembrogon

RECENT ACQUISTIONS - Beasts of the Mesozoic (2022 November 30)

Happy new year! Here's the second-to-last (belated) post to cover everything from 2022:

Ceratopsian Series no. 1: Zuniceratops
It took nearly 20 years after When Dinosaurs Roamed America for this genus to get a toy, but this certainly a fine first figure to introduce the genus to the market (let's just ignore the Geoworld version). There are a couple of qualms I have with articulation, but overall I can get a very nice range of natural motion; I also think the skink patterns work very nicely. This is probably one of my favorite BotM figures so far - although I don't have many other ceratopsians to compare with yet.

Ceratopsian Series no. 9: Psittacosaurus
In contrast to Zuni, the parrot lizard actually underwhelms me a little. Don't get me wrong: this is a beautifully-sculpted and painted model, and I get out of just handling the pebbly scale texture. However, the articulation really falls short in the hind limbs; there's very little range to the knees and feet, and that puts a damper on the range of convincing poses the figure is capable of. I'd say the 1/18 version is actually the superior figure of the two, for having alternate back legs and a base to pose with.

Environment Pack: Wetlands with Buitreraptor
This little "gonzo" raptor is another genus overdue for more figures, and this is a pretty solid start. Although the articulation is a bit limited (and sometimes self-impeding, like with the arms), the overall design and color scheme are very attractive; although it's a bit hard to keep stable. Sadly, this set as a whole is proving frustrating. While each and every piece of the set is exquisitely detailed and painted, getting the pieces to actually assemble securely is a pain in the butt. The ball joints simply don't secure properly in most of the sockets, and the raptor itself is very unstable. I ended up putting most of the set away again after displaying it for little more than a day. I really appreciate the ideas behind these sets, but for me this one just isn't functioning right.

The Buitreraptor is still neat, at least.

Fembrogon

RECENT ACQUISIONS (2022 FINAL) - Takara Tomy ANIA

Alright, finishing up the final scraps of last year's collection!

ANIA AL-06 Pteranodon (acquired 2022/12/06)
I've been meaning to get this little fella for a few years now, to fill in some of the blanks I had in my ANIA collection; but I kept missing the chance to do so when it was in stock at various sites. Now, of course, most of my Tomy figures are in storage, so I've got the reverse issue (sigh). Anyway, this is a pretty decent, if generic, P. ingens figure, and the mini coelacanth is a nice touch, albeit another generic choice I wish the figure came with its own display stand, though.

ANIA AL-17 Styracosaurus (acquired 2022/12/06)
Another figure to fill in the blanks. This is a pretty decent Styracosaurus, I think - nicer looking than the Triceratops from the same series.

ANIA AL-18 Parasaurolophus (acquired 2022/11/30)
Tomy taking a page from Favorite's old book of colorful hadrosaurs, looks like. I'm not complaining, it's a pretty decent figure, and much more eye-catching than the dull browns and greens seen in some the series older figures. I do hope to display all my ANIA figures together again someday in the near future.

And that's it for 2022! I had intended to cover everything before the new year, but no big deal. By a rough count, I added around 254 unique figures figures to the bestiary. Of those new acquisitions, PNSO was the biggest contributor, with 44 new figures (mostly those Small Model Series figures). Second place goes to Kid Galaxy (of all brands) with 31 figures, with Safari ltd. in third with 26. Had I been counting duplicates, however, MPC and Boley/Gosnell would probably be vying for those two spots. It's been an interesting year for the bestiary, that's for sure.
Here's to a new year and onward of collecting!

Fembrogon

Let the new year collecting begin!

Favorite co. - Cambrian Creatures Mini Model Set

I find myself standing firmly in the camp of Favorite's best extinct animal toys currently being their non-dinosaurs. This is a lovely set with splendid design and presentation, which offers a very nice variety of genera from the Burgess Shale formation. It's extraordinary to behold the absolute weirdness that exists in Earth's biological history.

Anomalocaris - blue and yellow variants
Probably the most plain figures of the set, although that may say more about how strange the rest are. The overall shape and sculpt is reminiscent of the standard soft model.

Canadaspis
This is one of my favorites of the set; a family member said it looks like a cross between a millipede and an armadillo, and I can see what he means!

Hallucigenia
I consider this one of the more "classic" genera from the formation, so it's a shame there aren't more toys of this abstract creature. The tiny beaded eyes and mouth on this figure are pretty cute, if you ask me.

Marella
As a kid, I think I tended to mistake this for a kind of trilobite; and apparently paleontologists used to as well! this critter would be a pretty stylized take on a trilobite, though; it almost looks like something you could blow up in size and refit into a sci-program's spaceship. This is one of the best-painted figures in the set.

Olenoides
Gotta get an actual trilobite in there, right? I admit I'm pretty lacking in knowledge of trilobite diversity, so I'll be memorizing this genus name. The figure has some very nice detailing and paint decals; the legs are caught the ripple-like motion of walking, which is pretty cool.

Opabinia
Another classic Cambrian genus, and probably one of my personal favorite extinct animals. I think this figure is a little less striking than some of the others in this set, but there's no understating how weird this creature was.

Pikaia
the sole vertebrate of the set, and another staple genus I remember always seeing in books. The paint job does excellent work in capturing a fishy gloss to the figure.

Wiwaxia
This thing reminds me a little of some of the earliest illustrations done for exotic wildlife: "okay, let me describe a sea urchin for you, and you try to interpret this as best as you can." If Star Trek tribbles had armor maybe they'd end up looking like this!

All in all, this is a beautiful set which I would highly recommend to any paleo-fan. I just wish Favorite had wider distribution beyond Japan.

Flaffy

The Cambrian Set is easily one of Favorite Co.'s most interesting releases thus far.
A shame they never really expanded on this subline of minis.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Flaffy on January 09, 2023, 01:42:59 PMThe Cambrian Set is easily one of Favorite Co.'s most interesting releases thus far.
A shame they never really expanded on this subline of minis.

Absolutely. Between these and the Redondasaurus/Coelophysis set, 2016 was their best year ever. They've never even come close since.

Paleo Flo

Nice Anomalo indeed. I also own that figure
Welcome to Florassic Park...my collection:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=10638.0

Fembrogon

Either I goofed yesterday or the Forum ate my post.  >:(  Anyway...

HAPPINET: GREAT DINOSAUR AGE (acquired (2023/01/10)
I don't know much about Happinet as a company or the breadth of their output, but I do find their line of dinosaurs from 2005 to be charming. These aren't terribly accurate figures, but they're just detailed enough to balance the line between quality collectible and cheap toy. The hollow vinyl make also reminds me of Bandai's kaiju toys, so that's a plus.

Fukuiraptor (no. 07)
Admittedly one of the weaker figures I've seen in the line, although I think it might have the honor of being the first toy of this genus. The bright coloration is handled quite well, but the physical features are so nondescript I could probably label this as any number of theropods without knowing the difference.

Supersaurus (no. 17)
Super-sized but also super-shrinkwrapped; it's nice to have another big sauropod toy (nearly as long as some older Invicta and Carnegie sauropods), but it's definitely one rooted in the early 2000s. I don't see Supersaurus referenced much anymore, though, so I'll take this toy as a win. The posture of the legs is a bit peculiar; I can't tell if this figure is just warped or if it was meant to balance this way.

Giganotosaurus (no. 22)
It's hard for me to say no to Giga, usually; although this figure looks more like a Carcharodontosaurus in skull shape to my eyes. There's a certain amount of uniformity between Happinet's theropods, which I assume is a result of brand consistency and mold efficiency.

Smilodon (no. 24)
Oh yeah, Happinet did one mammal for the series too. Honestly, although the overall pose and design are pretty unremarkable, there's so much personality in this figure's wide-eyed, bloodshot expression that it's probably one of the most striking figures in the series.

Fembrogon

A couple more items that arrived last week with the Happinets...

Dinosaur King (SEGA, LG series) no. 20 - Therizinosaurus
I completely missed the boat on Dinosaur King as a kid, so it's kind of fascinating to have learned of this franchise in just the last few years. I would have been all over these toys in my childhood, especially ones like this Theri. I honestly think this is one of the better Theri toys out there even today, despite being a little dated; I just really like the aesthetics of the figure and the Luis Rey-esque color scheme.

PNSO Prehistoric Animal Models no. 067 - Thabo the Suchomimus
PNSO threw us a last-minute curveball for the end of the year, and boy did they score with it. This is an all-around excellent reconstruction of the African theropod, with only a few nitpicks I could find against it. As much as I wish PNSO models averaged $5-10 less, I'd be lying if I said I didn't think I got my money's worth with this purchase.
(and thanks again to avatar_Dan @Dan for that limited-time discount; that certainly helped!)

SidB

Yes, avatar_Fembrogon @Fembrogon , you didn't get shortchanged, despite the price tag (me too).

Fembrogon

I'm riding a Creative Beast wave of glee this week!

Beasts of the Mesozoic, Ceratopsian Series no.03 - Triceratops subadult (acq 23/01/23)

With my WWD rex looming on the horizon, I found myself craving a display partner; so I caved and got this big fella. This is one beautiful hunk of dinosaur, and I'm pretty pleased with the articulation so far. One note on scale: as a substitute adult, this figure appears closer to 1/33 than 1/35, at least by my rough estimates. However, the same appears to be true for the 1/35 T. rex, so they should pair up just fine.

Beasts of the Mesozoic, Ceratopsian Series no.08 - Protoceratops (acq 23/01/23)

I didn't feel like ordering just one figure, though. Protoceratops is even bigger than the Trike; it's probably the biggest BotM figure I own so far. This figure is a little more flexible than the Trike overall, and it looks great alongside the Velociraptor.

Beasts of the Mesozoic, Raptor Series no.E1 - Velociraptor osmolskae "Alpha" (acq 23/01/23)

Speaking of which, since my raptors are in storage right now, I figured I'd get a new one while it was on sale. Velociraptor osmolskae looks as beautiful as the rest; however it still displays some articulation quirks present in the raptor series from the start. I may grab a new V. mongoliensis in the near future to display them together.

In the meantime, "Alpha" will have to substitute for photo ops:
Spoiler

Sorry bud, it comes with the job!
[close]

Fembrogon

Beasts of the Mesozoic, Tyrannosaur series no.1B - Tyrannosaurus (1/35 WWD ver. - acq 2023/01/24)

There was a time in my childhood when I actively dismissed T. rex - it's an overexposed, "mainstream" dinosaur that crowds out too many other dinosaurs. Renditions like this one, however, drive home once again how spectacular the animal really is. The Creative Beast model is simply gorgeous! No detail is left unaccounted for, and the color scheme is perfect, feeling as much like its own unique thing as it does an obvious homage to that classic documentary. The articulation is really good, too - some patience and blow dryer treating loosen up the joints enough for a variety of dynamic poses. My only qualms would be with some limitations in the head & neck, plus some minor awkwardness in the arms. I also think working the joints might have backfired on the main feet pieces, which are now a little TOO loose for balance. Nevertheless, this is a centerpiece item and an awesome addition for the bestiary. I'm excited for the following waves!

Bonus shots, since I've been having so much fun with this figure:
Spoiler

[close]

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: