News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Fembrogon's Bestiary (post-2020)

Started by Fembrogon, January 06, 2022, 10:04:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwangi

Some of those Kid Galaxy toys are somewhat decent. I particularly like the Achelousaurus and Scaphonyx. I would buy those sets for those two. The Protoceratops looks more like a Vagaceratops.

The Battat Styracosaurus is a masterpiece. Still my favorite figure of the genus and one of my all time favorites in general.

Fembrogon

Alright, enough Jurassic Park knockoffs - how about some REAL JP toys?

MATTEL/KENNER - JURASSSIC PARK/WORLD (fall 2022)

It's been fun - mostly - following Mattel's releases over the past 5 years and revelling in the veritable glut of new dinosaur toys on retail shelves. Lately, however, I'm starting to feel like I've run my course with the line, only occasionally adding a new member while prioritizing other lines instead (yes, that means I chose Kid Galaxy over Mattel). I've amassed a nice little army of my own so far, though, even when being a little pickier with this line.
The above image was taken back in July, and I've honestly only acquired & kept one additional Mattel dino since then. We'll see what the future holds for me and the line overall.

Kenner

Dilophosaurus 1993

Dilophosaurus 1994

So, the vast majority of my JP bestiary is Mattel (and before storage it was Mattel/Hasbro), but I did add just a couple of classic Kenners into my collection not long ago. JP's Dilophosaurus is probably the single-most badly outdated design of the original trilogy, but take away the frills and venom and Kenner's takes are actually pretty decent. The '93 figure is nostalgic for me, although I never personally owned it; so I'm glad to have one of my own now. Despite warped legs, it stands surprisingly well (modern theropod toys take note).
The '94, on the other hand, is hopelessly imbalanced towards the back, and refuses to stand without additional support under the feet. Oh, well, you can't win them all.

Mattel - Amber Collection

Pteranodon - one of my first Mattels post-move. I picked it up alongside Echo and Delta during a sale at Target; sadly Echo had to be returned and the Pteranodon replaced for quality control issues. Overall it's a neat-looking toy, but compared to the raptors the engineering is left wanting.

Velociraptor "Delta" - while the other two Amber figures had to go back, Delta held through and is still a solid figure overall. Delta wasn't really my first preference out of the raptor squad, but I it ended up working out the best this way, as she compliments the other three raptors in my own makeshift squad nicely.

Velociraptor, original reissue - can't do without the classic! Admittedly it would have been nice if Mattel made a little extra effort to distinguish the sculpt from the JW designs, but it's still a good-looking toy.

Velociraptor, TLW-version - perhaps the most striking of the bunch, although technically just another repainted JW raptor. Mine has probably the sturdiest joints out of all my raptors, whether that's common among this release or just luck of the draw.

Velociraptor, JPIII male - my personal favorite, probably the best-looking figure out of all my Mattel dinos. Mattel finally had to resculpt parts for this one, although I wish they had managed it without sacrificing head articulation. I'm sad we didn't at least get a female before the line was terminated.

The gang all together.

Mattel - Standard figures

Sarcosuchus (Primal Attack) - I believe this was the first standard Mattel I grabbed for myself post-move (though it was the same shopping trip that brought home the Amber figures too). This toy's gimmick is more fun to play with than it has any right to be.

Plesiosaurus (Dino Escape) - I recall people saying this one was proving hard to find, so I was quite pleasantly surprised to find it in stock at one of my local stores. I'm glad Mattel has included at least a few non-dinos in their line.

Spinosaurus (Dino Escape) - the big one, the crown jewel, the top prize. This figure was my most desired out of the whole lineup, but also the main reason I almost quit the line a few years back, following frustration over the distribution fiasco. It's maybe not one of Mattel's very best, but it's easily one of my most favorites now that I've got it.

Edmontosaurus (Primal Attack) - dare I say one of the best sculpts in the entire Mattel lineup? If only some of the other Csotonyi-based figures turned out this well.

Callovosaurus (Primal Attack) - my first Mattel of a genus I hadn't heard of prior. Unassuming but aesthetically pleasing with a more naturalistic look.

Alioramus (Dino Escape) - a bit cartoony, but not as bad as many others. I'm rather fond of this one, it's got personality.

Carcharodontosaurus, blue version (Dino Escape) - arguably one of Mattel's most mundane theropod designs. The blue color scheme looks very nice, though.

Allosaurus, green ver. (Dino Escape) - one of a few whim buys I got during an in-store sale. I honestly prefer this color scheme to the official film version.

Ouranosaurus (Dino Escape) - another solid ornithopod toy, except for those janky feet. Whatever was Mattel thinking?

Kentrosaurus (Dino Escape) - Honestly a better-looking stegosaur than Mattel's Stegosaurus, in my opinion.

Mosasaurus (reissue, Dino Escape) - the recycled plastic "gimmick" was a legitimately neat idea, but it does result in a harder toy which hinders the "real feel" texture the original had. The starry-blue color is a nice look, though.

Zuniceratops (Dino Escape) - an attractive little toy. I feel like Mattel does a pretty good job with most of their ceratopsians, EXCEPT Triceratops. Weird.

Pentaceratops (Dino Escape) - see prior comments. I rest my case.

Skorpiovenator (Roar Strikers) - many of Mattel's non-film theropods end up looking kind of exagerrated, but this is a case where the monsterized style feels more tasteful, accentuating certain traits without completely obscuring some of the legitimate traits of the genus. The gimmmick is a bit odd for this one.

Quetzalcoatlus (Massive Action) - once I lamented having missed the original Mattel Quetz, but no more. This figure is easily a step-up in design. The gimmick is a bit tricky to handle, but it works pretty well.

Mattel - Hammond Collection

I haven't been quite as enthused for the Hammond series as I expected to be, so I've largely stalled on acquiring them. I have picked up a couple, though, and they're pretty pleasing for what they are.
I must say, though, I'm rather annoyed that the box becomes useless after the dinos are assembled. They're nice boxes, but when I'm short on space practically is a must; so if the figures can't fit back inside the boxes are just wasted space. A shame.

Baryonyx - very good figure, makes the most of a lackluster film design. I with the neck/head had more downward range, though.

Tyrannosaurus - my most recent Mattel addition; amazingly I managed to fit her inside my lightbox. Having held this toy in hand (and having obtained it at a major discount), it's hard to be too critical; this is a very big and cool toy to play and display with. That said, it still has issues; the glass eyes are a great idea that need much better implementation. I'm also a little underwhelmed by the neck & tail articulation - the fact that Rexy can't properly recreate her iconic pose from the finale of the first film feels like a major gaffe. Also, does anyone's else's rex figure struggle to turn its head to the right in any manner?
Hopefully Mattel will work to improve these details and others if they plan to do any more big theropods for the Hammond line. The rex is a promising start, for sure.

Mattel is currently the second or third-most represented brand in my collection, alongside PNSO. Before I get to my updated catalog of number one, however, I'll post some other miscellaneous brands and figures I've acquired over the year next.

Fembrogon

ADDITIONAL BRANDS - fall 2022

Schleich

My collection of Schleich has grown by a grand total of one since my first collection shot in this thread; obviously I've been in no rush to increase Schleich's presence in my bestiary. They do achieve some nice figures infrequently, but the majority of their content simply doesn't cut it for me, even aesthetically.

Psittacosaurus - I've seen some very nice repaints of this model before. This might not be one of the most accurate Psittacosaurus toys on the market, but it seems to be pretty close, and is stylized in a way that's at least more attractively dynamic, if that makes sense.

Giganotosaurus (juvenile) - how Schleich managed to make this version of the giant theropod head-and-shoulders better than every other iteration they've ever put out is beyond me, but I won't complain. Not the best Giga on the market, but a pretty good stand-in for an adult at a smaller scale.

Spinosaurus (2019 ver) - probably my favorite figure out of all Schleich's releases. This figure strikes somewhere in the aesthetic range between Steve Kirk and Todd Marshall early 2000s paleoart, and that's delicious for me. Again, this is a model outclassed by at least a few competitors, but with enough effort and style to hold its own as an attractive toy still.

Papo

Now here's a big brand title who was actually completely devoid from my earlier (post-2020) shots. I've only ever bought less than a handful of Papos, despite having eyed several of them for a long, long time. Once Papos were the bee's knees for their intricate detailing and JP-"inspired" appearance; now they've been outclassed in basically every manner by other, newer companies, with little indication they care about matching the competition. How the mighty have fallen, huh?

Spinosaurus (2007 ver) - man, I was so excited for this figure when it was announced. Jurassic Park III remains a nostalgic film for me, and a similar attachment goes to Stan Winston's Spino design for the film. The chance to own a "museum-quality" depiction of this design was tantalizing. Ultimately, it never entered my collection until just about this time last year - talk about a wait period! (and that's not the first time either) Looking at it now, it's still a pretty cool figure; but it's remarkable to see how much our understanding of this dinosaur has changed since then - and all the other models that have released to reflect that!
Speaking of which...

Spinosaurus (2019 ver) - I have to admit, I was a bit underwhelmed by this one. Don't get me wrong, it's a cool toy with lots of detail and strong shelf presence - but I'm glad I got mine at a discount. This model isn't that much bigger or more detailed than some of its contemporaries; the difference is mainly in the allocation of said details. This Spino has a HUGE head and stocky torso, at the cost of a properly-proportioned neck and tail. The actual skin/scale texturing isn't that much more significant than, say, Safari or PNSO, however; and the color scheme is... Ehh?? It's not offensive, but it's nothing to write home about. I still like the big thing, I don't intend to part with it; but if I'm going to take out a Spino just to gawk at I'll probably pick my PNSO or Mattel figure first.

Halichoeres

I saw somebody refer to the much-reused Schleich Giga as "their good one" the other day, and I died inside. I don't love their juvenile one, but I agree with you it's a damn sight better than their others.

And man, this gallery is reminding me how insanely prolific Mattel has been the last few years. My heart aches for the completists!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Fembrogon

Yikes; what on Earth was that person judging by? Most of their Gigas are just plain ugly, even regardless of scientific accuracy.

Mattel has indeed been going full speed ahead since acquiring the license. I've never really had a completist mindset in the first place, but aiming for that in Mattel's case particularly sounds like a nightmare!

suspsy

T. rex may be the one that keeps being portrayed badly in the films, but Triceratops is the one that keeps getting screwed in the toy department.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Faelrin

avatar_Fembrogon @Fembrogon avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres I still can't believe getting bamboozled by the limited edition thing only to have the 2020 tail study come out a few months later. Talk about an oof there. Oh well I still enjoy it for what it was then, and proudly displayed it on my bookcase.

I used to be a genera completist for the Mattel line for the first 4 years and I have no idea how I succeeded with that to this day. Well I do know I had help from some generous folks I appreciate very much to this day. I no longer am with this year and next. Some stuff just doesn't interest me and it saves me so much to go after other stuff with like all the Japanese figures with avatar_brettnj @brettnj help. Distribution has been mostly better this year then previous years. Honestly the only one that's had poor availability has been the Lystrosaurus set and thankfully I got it and plan to review after recovering (also hoping for the Nothosaurus and new Herrerasaurus). Even the Genydectes that was hard to find at first seems to be available/in stock on Walmart's website last I checked. Rest is readily available still or was for a bit of time.

A shame to hear the HC figures can't go back in the box once the tail is assembled. I rather like how these look in box just as much as out (and all the enticing articulation). At least the AC ones could for the most part. And I'm typically an OoB collector.

I also like the grey background and focusing on each figure. Kind of what Halichoeres and avatar_Loon @Loon also does, if not anyone else. I did a little of that with my Japanese haul. Kind of want to do more of it, if it helps people. I think it is helpful anyways.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Fembrogon

Thanks for those comments, avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin; I wanted to attempt a more professional style (on zero budget) for my photography, as I prefer that cleaner look when I'm cataloguing and reviewing my collection. It took a while to sort out (and it's hardly flawless now), but I've been pretty pleased with the setup so far.

ADDITIONAL BRANDS, CONT. - fall 2022

Boley/Gosnell - Poseable Dinosaur Sets

Much like Happy Kin/Kid Galaxy, this "brand" of dinosaur toys was introduced to me through the Forum community. Also like Kin/Kid Galaxy, many of these figures seem to draw suspiciously heavy influence from other brands & artists. Overall, though, I think quality control of these figures seems to be better, and the overall feel of the figures is less flimsy. While virtually all of my figures in this style were bought from the toy company Boley, there are other sellers of anonymous nature which pop up on eBay and Facebook Marketplace as well. Boley describes these sets as "Gosnell Dinosaurs", and many of the figures have a stamped-in logo featuring two paw prints in a circle, which I assume is the signature of this ambiguous "Gosnell" company. I honestly like these figures a lot, even if they're guilty of lifting from better artists.

(medium) Poseable 8-piece dinosaur set - originally this set included a very raptor-like "Ornithomimus", which I replaced with a duplicate Dilophosaurus. The Dilo and possibly the Mosa are imitations of Sideshow models, whereas the T. rex is a takeoff of the Dinosaurs in the Wild design. I haven't researched the others yet.
I'm not gonna lie, though: the Dilo is one of my favorite toys of the genus to date.

(small) 18-piece dinosaur set - includes miniature versions of (nearly?) all the "Gosnell"-brand genera, including several Boley wasn't selling in the medium size range. I have to hand it to them, all of these figurines have a solid feel to them and balance pretty well. They don't come across as junky the way the smaller Kid Galaxy toys do, for instance.

At some point I hope to review most or all of these, as they're pretty interesting and deserve a little attention - even if it's only to oust their copycatting in some cases.

Mike Eischen Paleosculptures (3D prints)

On a more... Wholesome?... tangent, this line was a surprise find on my own when getting into Marx and other vintage toys last year. Mike Eischen is an independent artist with an eBay page as well as an Etsy page, and he sells his designs in ABS plastic and/or resin. Although mine are all plastic, they're potentially brittle in nature, so they're definitely meant as adult collectors' pieces rather than kids' toys (in stark contrast to the prior brand in this post) reportedly the resin versions are a little more durable, though.

Tyrannosaurus (retro) - modeled to be a more faithful replica of the classic Charles R. Knight paintings than Marx or MPC accomplished. It's a lovely little figure.

Kannemeyeria - a classic synapsid that doesn't have nearly enough toys to its name.

Woolly & Columbian Mammoths - sold as a pair. The Columbian is another genus I'm a little surprised there aren't more toys of; it's not like big elephants aren't popular choices for toy brands. This set doesn't appear to be available on Eischen's eBay page right now, but he does cycle through his models sometimes.

My purchase experience with Mike Eischen was most satisfactory and I would certainly recommend him if you're looking for a few less-common genera, especially from the Cenozoic. Hopefully he gets a chance to expand his catalog in the future; I'd love to see more Paleozoic creatures as well.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Some interesting figures there, I like the little T. rex and Dilophosaurus.
Also like the Kannemeyeria a lot but have no intention if getting g those customs fees again.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Halichoeres

Always fun to learn about some oddball brands. Gosnell also makes some really cartoony figures. I have an Anchisaurus that looks more like a Brachiosaurus from The Flintstones
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Fembrogon

I do recall that Anchisaurus! What a hilarious contrast in style.
I've tried a little internet searching for Gosnell before, but I quickly learned that has to be done carefully; "Gosnell" can bring up some pretty NSFW results.  :o

Halichoeres

Oh my, that's news to me! Haha thanks for the heads-up.

Fembrogon

ADDITIONAL BRANDS, CONT - fall 2022

Kaiyodo

I've done little more than get my feet wet in Kaiyodo collecting, but there's no doubt in my mind as to why they have a following. Kaiyodo produces some excellent figures with remarkable detail and accuracy for their size; it's almost a shame they haven't branched out internationally.

Capsule Q: Dinosaur Excavation #07 (2021 reissue) - genera featured:
  • Borealopelta
  • Carnotaurus
  • Iguanodon
  • Quetzalcoatlus
  • Tarbosaurus (with Saurolophus carcass)
Basically all of these are reissued or revised sculpts, but all are brand-new to my bestiary. If you asked me to pick a favorite I'd be hard-pressed to choose; Borealopelta is possibly the most striking in terms of detail, but good azhdarchid toys like this Quetzalcoatlus aren't too common, and both theropods are possibly among the nicest depictions of their respective genera on the market. I guess Iguanodon is the only one that doesn't immediately pop out for me.  :P

GR Toys Haolonggood

I had initially written of GR Toys as another fancy brand that would be too expensive for me to touch; but then Quetzalcoatlus released and broke that expectation. Several months and a handy AliExpress sale later, and two more GR models have made their way into my bestiary. I don't foresee this collection growing from here for a while, as the last two figures released didn't really catch my eye; but I'll keep paying attention in case they surprise me again.
(*edit* - boy, did that statement age badly, albeit in the best way. GR Toys isn't actually the originating company, it turns out; Haolonggood is the manufacturer, and GR Toys is distributor.)

Quetzalcoatlus - my first figure from the company, and, honestly, the weakest of the three. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice model; but it doesn't show the same intricacy in design and diligence to accuracy as its predecessors. The "definitive" Quetz is still waiting for creation.

Carcharodontosaurus - a drop-dead gorgeous theropod model, no exaggeration. The orange variant doesn't seem anywhere as desired as the blue, but I guess that worked in my favor come sale time. Honestly, the orange "fire" variant looks terrific as well, so there's no loss in my opinion. My copy arrived with some foot warpage (resistant to hot water treatment, too), but even so it balances pretty well most of the time.

Dicraeosaurus - perhaps the most significant release by GR Toys yet, in spite of the hype around their theropods. This is another splendidly-designed model, and this time of a genus barely represented in toy form. Like the Carch, this color variant seems less in demand of the two released, but it still looks great and I have no complaints.

I understand GR Toys is no longer collaborating with the artist behind these particular designs, which is a shame. Hopefully they might reconcile in the future, or maybe the artist will find a new collaborator to bring us more figures of this quality.

Halichoeres

I dream of Kaiyodo returning to their early-2000s output, when they might release dozens of new sculpts in a single year. The two Capsule Q sets this year were more than we usually get from them, though. I think this Borealopelta was the first figure of the genus, beating out the CollectA by a matter of months.

Do you know the names of the artists involved with GR Toys/Haolonggood? I wasn't aware of the switch but it makes sense with the abrupt change in quality. 

Fembrogon

Sadly, I do not know the artists' names. There's been discussion about the circumstances before, but I can't seem to find those posts now. It sounded like there were disputes between GR and Haolonggood regarding mangaement, funds, rights to the designs, etc. Very messy with unclear outcomes. I think Mu See Studios (who did the Spino) might have had a stake in the conflict too.

...But yeah, the difference is noticeable. The new rex and Theri aren't bad, per se; but the base sculpts lack something in quality which made the Carch and Dicrae so striking.

Fembrogon

ADDITIONAL BRANDS, FINAL - fall 2022

Creative Beast/Beasts of the Mesozoic

It's been fun watching this line birth and develop over the past several years as we've watched from the forum; David Silva has provided a remarkable and truly unique brand in the collecting sphere. All of my deluxe raptors are in storage now, I have yet to acquire any of the main ceratopsian line - and of course I'm still awaiting release of the tyrannosaurs - but I did at least nab four of the new 1:18 minifigures while they were on sale as preorder.

1:18 A1, Velociraptor - the most obligatory genus of the lot. This is a great little replica of its 1:6 compatriot, although the neck joints don't work as well. In general this figurine also feels a little delicate, due to its build; definitely to be treated with care and patience.

1:18 A2, Psittacosaurus - a surprise favorite of mine. This is an excellently-designed little model, with good articulation and solid build. I've found myself handling this one far more than the other three; it's more fun and less risky to play with. If anyone asks which single figurine from this set they should choose, this is my vote.

1:18 A4, Protoceratops andrewsi - the "biggest" of the four, at least in body bulk. Also the least articulate, probably, due to the anatomy; but still a splendid little model. It pairs well with the Velociraptor; although one of the later raptor color variants might contrast better.

1:18 A5, Dromaeosaurus - Silva's Dromaeo design was an instant favorite of mine since the original deluxe raptors were first revealed, and this mini version is no exception. The articulation is just a mite bit better than the Velociraptor, but it's still a delicate piece to handle.

I do like these figurines very much, and will seriously have to consider buying the other two currently available. Hopefully we get to see more small-scale dinosaurs in the future.

Sega/Happinet

...So, to my knowledge, these two lines aren't technically related; but they do seem to get compared and displayed (and sold) together a lot, due to their similarities in design and style. There's a certain novelty to them I've taken a liking to, so I've just started acquiring them and hope to build their presence in the bestiary in the near future.

Happinet Tyrannosaurus - okay, so maybe not the best start on the two lines. This is a pretty generic JP-style rex, through and through - however it's decently detailed and balances very well. I rather like the hollow vinyl format of the toy(s), but maybe that's the Bandai Godzilla collector in me talking.

Sega Carnotaurus - decidedly not a Disney or Universal imitation, but a bright and unique design of its own. I don't know the formula to balancing color with naturalism in dinosaur toys, but this one manages a pretty good job, in my opinion. Purple with yellow stripes might not be realistic, but it's applied in a believable way. The toy is a bit front-heavy; some more bulk in the tail would have been wise.

Sega Spinosaurus - back to a somewhat familiar likeness. For a 2000s Spino design, it's a bit plain, but it's not too bad overall. I do wish the toymakers hadn't nerfed the theropod's hands so badly, at least.

There's one last, very big brand to cover for the bestiary, plus a few miscellaneous figures to complete covering as 2022 year's end edges closer!

Concavenator

Yeah, GR Toys really went downhill, unfortunately. When I saw their Carcharodontosaurus I was confident that if they kept that quality they would easily become one of the best companies around. Their Dicraeosaurus was a nice surprise too, and I also think it's their most important figure yet (it's their only figure I have). But ever since, they have been really overshadowed by PNSO and Eofauna (in particular their Tyrannosaurus and Therizinosaurus) especially.

Those small BotM are very nice. What do A1, A2... mean?

Fembrogon

The "A" designations are how they're marked on the back of each box, so I assume it's basically a series numbering - A1-6.

Fembrogon

MISCELLANEOUS FIGURES - fall 2022

Before getting to the last big brand in my bestiary, here's an updated summary of the remaining assorted figures since my original posts from the beginning of the year. A few additional figures have also been also been acquired since then.

Yvy Figures/Dino Hazard - Irritator*

I haven't heard much about Dino Hazard since this figure's release (and I haven't played the game itself yet), but this is a splendid model of its own. I did not expect to acquire it, admittedly, since the figure typically sells for higher than I'm comfortable. Nevertheless, this is certainly a finely-crafted figure for a small company. The articulated jaw is the only lackluster bit; the base and fish prey are functional accessories.
*Sadly, this copy is likely one of the unauthorized additional releases from the factory which was producing for Yvy. It's a fine figure regardless, but I do regret I happened to acquire it in this fashion.

Australian Age of Dinosaurs - Banjo the Australovenator

Another figure I didn't expect to be acquiring, since I missed the first run; thankfully the AAoD was able to resurrect the model this year. Once again, for what is essentially a one-off model at this time, the final product is a splendid piece that holds up fairly well. Mine isn't always entirely stable, but otherwise I consider this one of my favorites. I do hope AAoD can manage to expand this line in the near future.

Unknown company - Helicoprion

B @Bokisaurus's review for the main Blog introduced me to this figure; it's hardly a scientifically-accurate or high-quality replica, but it's a neat piece and there aren't really enough Helicoprion toys on the market. The style reminds me of Larami and Imperial toys from the 80s and 90s.

De Agostini - Dilophosaurus & Dracovenator

What can I say, except I like rubber monsters sometimes. These two have a definite charm to them, but it's one that requires a certain taste.

Blue Box - loose set of three dinos

• Tyrannosaurus
  • Triceratops
  • Velociraptor
These came in a larger eBay lot I purchased hunting for Safari Authentics (and other items). Most of the other items in the lot are intended to be sold off again, but I liked these three enough to keep. My thanks to avatar_DinoToyForum @DinoToyForum for helping identify them as loose items from a playset under the Blue Box brand; The T. rex appears based off of one of Dorling Kindersly's old models, while the raptor resembles an old JP metal minifigure.

Panini - Cynognathus

My thanks to avatar_Duna @Duna for identifying this minifigure's brand of origin back on page 3. I picked this tiny fellow up at the St. George Dinosaur Discovery Center while travelling last year, but initially assumed it was a nameless brand item that happened to pick an interesting genus name. I dare say Cynognathus is another creature due for a more up-to-date representation from one of the contemporary market brands.

Funko Pop Vinyl - Dilophosaurus (Jurassic Park)

There are a grand total of four Pop! Vinyl figures in my entire toy & model collection, and I'm not anticipating any growth there; I do admit, though, this little girl is kind of cute. I can be a bit of a sucker for Dilophosaurus sometimes, so even though I can be pretty critical of the JP depiction, this toy endeared itself enough (and was on sale enough) for me to give in and buy it. I don't display it much at all, though.

Next up: the biggest brand of all in the bestiary!

Halichoeres

That Helicoprion certainly has character! I would love to know more about its maker but info seems hard to come by.

Those rubber DeAgostini figures are occasionally interesting. I have that Dracovenator, which seems to owe its color scheme to the Schleich Dilophosaurus. I missed out on the Lariosaurus during the narrow window it was available :(

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: