You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The Papo Limited Spinosaurus has finally been retired!

Started by Lynx, January 09, 2023, 01:46:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynx

Papo has announced that the limited edition Spinosaurus will now fully retire from their line since its release. After several complaints of the limited Spinosaurus not being very limited, it has finally been withdrawn.

Source: https://blog.everythingdinosaur.com/blog/_archives/2023/01/06/a-papo-model-retirement-2023-part-2.html
An oversized house cat.

Pachyrhinosaurus

The Papo ocelot saw a more limited release than the spinosaurus did. I'm not complaining though since it gives everyone who wanted one a chance to get it.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Blade-of-the-Moon

SidB

Well. that's a signal for those who still want to get one to do so, I suppose.

Paleo Flo

A nice Figuren, but it never made it into my collection
Welcome to Florassic Park...my collection:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=10638.0

Stegotyranno420

Wait, so they are retiring it because some guys were upset that the greatest Papo figure is NOT limited? 
That is a bit bizarre to me, but I guess there's more to it

Lynx

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on January 09, 2023, 03:43:36 PMWait, so they are retiring it because some guys were upset that the greatest Papo figure is NOT limited? 
That is a bit bizarre to me, but I guess there's more to it

No, that is not the reason.
An oversized house cat.

GojiraGuy1954

Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Fembrogon

For a "limited" figure, it's had a good run; and it's a pretty good toy all things considered. I'd say this was one of Papo's better figures in the last few years.

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Halichoeres on January 10, 2023, 04:23:53 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 09, 2023, 02:58:19 PMHow many were actually made? Does anyone know?

Too many, evidently.

I bought one when it was first released. I had thought it was going to be more limited but I bought it because it was nice. Kinda thought they would continue with the line.

Over9K

"Limited" without edition numbering is vague, meaningless marketing on the level of "New & Improved", or "-Rated", especially when we have no concept of what a "non-Limited" production run looks like for Papo, numbers-wise.

What would you think a typical production run is for a Papo dinosaur? 25,000? 15,000? How would a Papo production run compare to a typical REBOR production run? I have numerous items in my collections with edition numbers in the low 1,000's, or even 100's, and they're items many, many other collectors seem to have in their collections, and they don't feel that rare.

I don't think a normal production run is as large as most people think, and I think low-number, limited runs are actually larger than some
people think.

Newt

I find artificial scarcity inherently offensive. And when it's only pretend artificial scarcity - even worse. This is the kind of nonsense that plagued comics in the 1990s and nearly tanked the whole industry, with companies trying to exploit both collectors and speculators by generating products whose only value was their supposed rarity. I'm not saying that's going to happen to dinosaur toys - our market is probably not lucrative enough for these shenanigans to take off - but it gives me the willies to see even this mild form of it.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Newt on January 10, 2023, 03:15:27 PMI find artificial scarcity inherently offensive. And when it's only pretend artificial scarcity - even worse. This is the kind of nonsense that plagued comics in the 1990s and nearly tanked the whole industry, with companies trying to exploit both collectors and speculators by generating products whose only value was their supposed rarity. I'm not saying that's going to happen to dinosaur toys - our market is probably not lucrative enough for these shenanigans to take off - but it gives me the willies to see even this mild form of it.

Yeah Dinosaur collecting isn't exactly a super competitive collectors market, even the JP/JW stuff is losing value. New collectors are more into what's new ( I blame a lot of YouTube influencers )than appreciating the older figures and finding value in them.  There are some items like those produced by individuals that are so rare there is no hope of collecting them that honestly puts me off too.

Newt

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 10, 2023, 04:16:54 PM
Quote from: Newt on January 10, 2023, 03:15:27 PMI find artificial scarcity inherently offensive. And when it's only pretend artificial scarcity - even worse. This is the kind of nonsense that plagued comics in the 1990s and nearly tanked the whole industry, with companies trying to exploit both collectors and speculators by generating products whose only value was their supposed rarity. I'm not saying that's going to happen to dinosaur toys - our market is probably not lucrative enough for these shenanigans to take off - but it gives me the willies to see even this mild form of it.

Yeah Dinosaur collecting isn't exactly a super competitive collectors market, even the JP/JW stuff is losing value. New collectors are more into what's new ( I blame a lot of YouTube influencers )than appreciating the older figures and finding value in them.  There are some items like those produced by individuals that are so rare there is no hope of collecting them that honestly puts me off too.
I'm doing my part - I just bought an Invicta Megalosaurus for $1 at an antique store. Watch for the value to skyrocket after that sudden surge in demand!  :D

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Newt on January 10, 2023, 04:33:20 PM

I'm doing my part - I just bought an Invicta Megalosaurus for $1 at an antique store. Watch for the value to skyrocket after that sudden surge in demand!  :D

We just about another 1000 of us fighting over the most mint condition ones lol

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 10, 2023, 04:34:32 PM
Quote from: Newt on January 10, 2023, 04:33:20 PM

We just about another 1000 of us fighting over the most mint condition ones lol
Me who got an almost complete set of invictas for free
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Halichoeres

Isn't artificial scarcity the entire business model of Rebor and Nanmu? I'd say the same for Mattel's SDCC exclusives, for example.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

CityRaptor

Most companies are guilty of this.
Schleich example? Their golden Tyrannosaurs.

Speaking of schleich: Their "Exclusive" red Tyrannosaurus has been around for 9 years and is not exclusive at all.

Another example: Kenner advertised the cards coming with their JP figures as Limited Edition. The only reason why those are uncommon today is because most kids apparently did not care about them, given the large amount of JP figures offered without them.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

EmperorDinobot

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: