News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

TooOldForDinosaurs' Collection

Started by TooOldForDinosaurs, February 18, 2022, 09:43:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TooOldForDinosaurs

Quote from: Halichoeres on November 25, 2022, 02:47:01 PMThat's a great scene! I wish there had been more like it from Nanmu. Congrats on getting this (and intact despite the distance).
Thanks! Yeah, I'm really glad it survived the journey. Definitely! I would love to see more Non-JP related releases from Nanmu, because they have proven they can do both. Same with W-Dragon and their marvelous Giraffatitan.

TooOldForDinosaurs

Ding ding. Time for a new addition to my collection. Found this rather unusual piece on a flee market. Considering the size of the figure and the single fact that it is a sauropod, there was no way I would leave this one behind despite its ugly shiny gold coloration.

I'm not sure which genus the figure should depict but there are some flaws to the sculpt either way. The nostrils are huuuge and located quite far up the forehead and all toes of both the front and back feet have claws. Aside from that the sculpt is very well executed.

I'm also unsure what material the figure is made of. It is heavy but hollow. It is not metal but very hard. My guess would be some sort of hard plastic or maybe resin. Theres a felt glued to the bottom of the figure which looks very cheap and done quite poorly. The figure is definitely not a high quality production - probably a mass produced decor piece, which I have never seen before though.

Whoever made the figure and whatever material it is made of, I'm very contempt with the acquisition. For now the figure will be left untouched in its ugly coloration but who knows if it won't get a new coat of paint in the future... It is most certainly a great candidate for a repaint.

Edit: For anyone interested, I paid about 40$ and the figure is about the same size as the Nanmu Apatosaurus. Weight approx. 2kg.

SidB

Interesting. That's the first time that I've seen a gold colored dino since the Schleich T-rex repaint and, more significantly, the gold covered version of the old Invicta figures, obviously very rare. The question of identity, genus-wise is a good one - one does wonder just what this most reasonably represents, if anything in particular. Still, it has an appeal.

ceratopsian

Agreed - it has a lot of vintage appeal to my eyes.

TooOldForDinosaurs

Quote from: SidB on December 30, 2022, 01:09:30 PMThe question of identity, genus-wise is a good one - one does wonder just what this most reasonably represents, if anything in particular.

True, theres a good chance the maker didn't care too much about different characteristics of specific species and just went for the good ol' long neck dinosaur look. I'm ok with keeping him as a generic sauropod or maybe I'll just attribute him a fitting genus I don't already have represented in my collection.

avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian Exactly my thoughts. I would love to find out when this was produced but probably that will stay a mistery forever.

SidB

Quote from: TooOldForDinosaurs on December 30, 2022, 03:00:23 PM
Quote from: SidB on December 30, 2022, 01:09:30 PMThe question of identity, genus-wise is a good one - one does wonder just what this most reasonably represents, if anything in particular.

True, theres a good chance the maker didn't care too much about different characteristics of specific species and just went for the good ol' long neck dinosaur look. I'm ok with keeping him as a generic sauropod or maybe I'll just attribute him a fitting genus I don't already have represented in my collection.

avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian Exactly my thoughts. I would love to find out when this was produced but probably that will stay a mistery forever.
The search for the right peg to hang the hat on should be fun.

TooOldForDinosaurs

One of the new highlights in my collection: This is the painted part A from the SenSen river scene diorama resin kit. The diorama consists of different parts which depict a number of ceratopsians from the Judith River Formation of Montana struggling to cross a river. Part A shows a small, wonderfully sculpted and intricately painted Avaceratops family with (probably) father, mother and two cubs. I love it. The scene perfectly captures a moment out of the life of these extinct animals like it could've taken place somewhere somewhen. It is so lifelike and moving. The artist achieved to convey the terror of this moment in the eyes and facial expression of the animals. And on such a small scale...

I am very happy with the purchase and will be looking forward to see what SenSen keeps on bringing. Their (I think) newest work - the Beelzebufo scene (from PP) - already seems very promising but unfortunately again out of my price range. Maybe and hopefully we'll see pictures from another collector on here of that piece.

For 2023 I decided that I will be spending my money on fewer high quality (also resin) figures. Meaning I won't be picking up any offerings from CollectA, Safari or Schleich this year. I will keep picking up some Herbivore offerings from PNSO. Most of my Schleich figures are now sold anyways and I've started to sell off some CollectAs as well to make room and funds for new acquisitions.

Enough talk - here are the pictures.

It's quite a tight fit to place the adults next to eachother but the younglings stand kind of loose in their intended gap.

The younglings are no bigger than the tip of my smallest finger. Incredible.

The paint application is outstanding. The fading of the colors is very smooth and done with a lot of care. The animals show interesting patterns of different greens and orange and the beak and horns are fantastically weathered. All the animals show a darker coloration on the bottom to suggest a water line, up to where they would've been wet. The pupils are spot on - in general there is not one brushstroke that seems off or misplaced. Just incredible work... Same goes for the sculpting without saying. Obviously a very talented and experienced artist. I would love to get insight on their work but SenSen doesn't seem to be active on any social media platforms unfortunately.

ceratopsian

I especially like the second photo with the adults head on to viewer.  They look so individually differentiated.  I hadn't realised quite how small the youngsters are.  You're absolutely right about the water line - what an excellent observation by the artist.  I must remember to mention this to Martin when he tackles this set for me.  (He's holding A and B and I'll see what C looks like when released - we agreed better to paint all in go.)  Thanks for the tip!

TooOldForDinosaurs

Quote from: ceratopsian on January 11, 2023, 11:12:44 AMI especially like the second photo with the adults head on to viewer.  They look so individually differentiated.  I hadn't realised quite how small the youngsters are.  You're absolutely right about the water line - what an excellent observation by the artist.  I must remember to mention this to Martin when he tackles this set for me.  (He's holding A and B and I'll see what C looks like when released - we agreed better to paint all in go.)  Thanks for the tip!

That sounds very exciting! Can't wait to see your pictures of the diorama all together :)

SidB

I like your collecting strategy, avatar_TooOldForDinosaurs @TooOldForDinosaurs , and not just because it corresponds, approximately, to mine. The move to quality over quantity serves to solve several issues at once, not least are: space saved and the satisfaction derived from top quality work. May I ask what the asking price is for the SenSen diorama here?

TooOldForDinosaurs

Quote from: SidB on January 11, 2023, 04:56:53 PMI like your collecting strategy, avatar_TooOldForDinosaurs @TooOldForDinosaurs , and not just because it corresponds, approximately, to mine. The move to quality over quantity serves to solve several issues at once, not least are: space saved and the satisfaction derived from top quality work. May I ask what the asking price is for the SenSen diorama here?

Exactly! I got it on Aliexpress for right around 150$, shipping included. There were no additional import costs either. If you're interested, the seller is called ,,Jurassic Zoo Store". I've had several great experiences with them now. I think the price has risen slightly. Last I checked it was 160$ +5$ shipping (at least for me) and 1 piece left (for the painted version that is). The unpainted kit wasn't available anymore but sold for about 95$. If you get it from Lanatime, which is the only other place I found it, it is slightly more expensive.

Edit:
You also get a Collectors card made of hard plastic (like a credit card) with the name (Avaceratops), scene (A), No. of the piece (28/100), the scale (1:20) and year of production.
Spoiler

[close]

SidB

Quote from: TooOldForDinosaurs on January 11, 2023, 05:34:10 PM
Quote from: SidB on January 11, 2023, 04:56:53 PMI like your collecting strategy, avatar_TooOldForDinosaurs @TooOldForDinosaurs , and not just because it corresponds, approximately, to mine. The move to quality over quantity serves to solve several issues at once, not least are: space saved and the satisfaction derived from top quality work. May I ask what the asking price is for the SenSen diorama here?

Exactly! I got it on Aliexpress for right around 150$, shipping included. There were no additional import costs either. If you're interested, the seller is called ,,Jurassic Zoo Store". I've had several great experiences with them now. I think the price has risen slightly. Last I checked it was 160$ +5$ shipping (at least for me) and 1 piece left (for the painted version that is). The unpainted kit wasn't available anymore but sold for about 95$. If you get it from Lanatime, which is the only other place I found it, it is slightly more expensive.

Thanks, avatar_TooOldForDinosaurs @TooOldForDinosaurs, this is an outstanding piece. I'm going to have to give serious consideration to it. The price seems appropriate, though somewhat above my usual maximum. Previously, my summit was the purchases of the iconic Battat T-rexes, versions 1 and 2, for which I paid somewhat less. The low shipping cost definitely is an incentive.

TooOldForDinosaurs

Quote from: SidB on January 11, 2023, 05:45:00 PMThanks, avatar_TooOldForDinosaurs @TooOldForDinosaurs, this is an outstanding piece. I'm going to have to give serious consideration to it. The price seems appropriate, though somewhat above my usual maximum. Previously, my summit was the purchases of the iconic Battat T-rexes, versions 1 and 2, for which I paid somewhat less. The low shipping cost definitely is an incentive.

It is for me too but when it comes to already painted resin kits of this quality it's hard to find anything at all in this price range.

Pliosaurking

That looks AMAZING!
Other than Nanmu's Limted Editon Supplanter 2.0 Spinosaurus and their sick Triceratops, I don't have any resin figures. And I don't usually go out of my way to get them, but I'm seriously considering this one, I'd be a fool not to!

SidB

Quote from: TooOldForDinosaurs on January 11, 2023, 05:55:00 PM
Quote from: SidB on January 11, 2023, 05:45:00 PMThanks, avatar_TooOldForDinosaurs @TooOldForDinosaurs, this is an outstanding piece. I'm going to have to give serious consideration to it. The price seems appropriate, though somewhat above my usual maximum. Previously, my summit was the purchases of the iconic Battat T-rexes, versions 1 and 2, for which I paid somewhat less. The low shipping cost definitely is an incentive.

It is for me too but when it comes to already painted resin kits of this quality it's hard to find anything at all in this price range.
True, looking at Lanatimeshop's listings, the prices go up and up and up for resins.

TooOldForDinosaurs

Quote from: Pliosaurking on January 11, 2023, 06:55:11 PMThat looks AMAZING!
Other than Nanmu's Limted Editon Supplanter 2.0 Spinosaurus and their sick Triceratops, I don't have any resin figures. And I don't usually go out of my way to get them, but I'm seriously considering this one, I'd be a fool not to!

It is - and this is only a small part of the whole scenery  :o . This was my third resin also. The two previous ones being from Nanmu as well and one of them being the sick Trike. Not because I prefer PVC over resin but rather because most resins I really love are just way out of my price range. I would love if there were more choices for smaller, more affordable resins.

TooOldForDinosaurs

Since I haven't posted anything in here in a month, I thought I would show off a couple items of my ,,dinosaur collection" which aren't figures or  models; my books and my coins.

Two of the books don't need an introduction and have been discussed plenty on here. ,,Das Reich der Dinosaurier" by Malam and Parker on the other hand does. It was a christmas gift by my deceased grandfather when I was a little boy. It's almost the only thing that survived my early years of prehistoric fascination. All my other small booklets, drawnings and toys are somehow lost without trace. It has a lot of beautiful illustrations and despite the fact that it was flipped through by small Me countless times over and over it is still in great condition, which I'm very happy about.

Secondly my coins. A few years past I got into a rush collecting these after discovering their shiny beauty and acquiring one of them (the Stegosaurus). I know that there is a Polacanthus and a Styracosaurus but other than this I'm pretty clueless about their origin and story. So if anyone knows if there are even more and/ or has more information on their backstory please enlighten me. The front always shows a genus of dinosaur and a dating (e.g. 64 mio years ago) and the back shows the globe with the lettering ,,the dinosaurs" in three different languages.

TooOldForDinosaurs

Recently I was able to probably save this 1984 print of ,,The Open Book Of The Prehistoric World" from someone elses dumpster for almost free.

It's the fourth softcover brochure by a Hodder & Stoughton series named ,,Open Books" released in the UK. The back of the cover shows 3 other topics from this ,,Open Book" series and four future topics are named.

The brochure is still in great condition for it's age and contains beautiful drawings and a whole lot of (sometimes outdated) information. Only the first part of the brochure goes into dinosaurs and Co. Two third of it covers the evolution of mankind over the course of time.

I post about this to share some of the lovely old dinosaur drawings for more people to enjoy. :)

Diplodocus the snorkler. It is mentioned as the ,,largest animal to ever live on Earth" at 26m. Sorry buddy, turns out theres bigger fish out in the sea.

What a stomper  :))

The colours are amazing and have not suffered one bit through the years.

I really love this find and I'll try my best to keep this in good shape for at least another 40 years. :)

SidB

Splendid old pics, avatar_TooOldForDinosaurs @TooOldForDinosaurs , sure bring back memories! The three fingered rex, the submersible Diplo, oh yeah. Love the inevitable volcano, of course. I hope and trust that you get your 40 years and more.

Crackington

Agree with SidB, what a great find! Love the pictures - some real beauts there. There's something very cinematic about them, the Smilodon reminds me of Christopher Lee and I think there's a new species on the cover, Iguanodon Fonzarelli. Great stuff!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: