News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

X-Plus/Star Ace New For 2022

Started by Over9K, February 04, 2022, 11:09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: dragon53 on December 01, 2022, 04:40:20 PM

..usually I watch videos from this guy without audio, mainly because it's always the same "..awesome..wow..great..wonderful.." etc etc, no matter what he's showing..  ;)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on December 02, 2022, 08:36:01 AM

..usually I watch videos from this guy without audio, mainly because it's always the same "..awesome..wow..great..wonderful.." etc etc, no matter what he's showing..  ;)

lol you noticed that too?  I sometimes watch him review some of the worst figures and try to be positive about them, its very entertaining. kudos on him for trying to find the positive too.

Lynx

I prefer to watch other reviewers for that reason. If they are not covering what is wrong with the figure, I am unsure if it is worth purchasing. I like SpinoDudes reviews for the pure reason that they are actually critical of the figure. It is quite tiresome when a reviewer just covers every little detail, not pointing out anything concerning that a potential buyer of the figure might run into.

It just feels like a copy-paste every review. I apologize if it comes off as critical. I know they are on a very tight schedule.
An oversized house cat.

dragon53

I think he likes dinosaurs and sci fi creatures so much he sees everything in a more positive light. I have criticized some Star Ace's Harryhausen figures on his Youtube videos and also on this forum. He acknowledged that others have criticized the Harryhausen figures, too. He did not like Papo's recent abomination.
I still like his dinosaur videos because they are very detailed and show what the figures really look like (as opposed to some other people whose videos are too dark or too light). He also is very informative and comprehensive at covering almost every dinosaur figure that is being released and is good at showing the size of the figures by comparing them to Papo's Standing T-Rex, etc.
Spinodude's reviews may be more critical, but he doesn't review as many dinosaur figures and at a lesser frequency.

Lynx

While the reviews are fewer, they are of high quality and go into a bit more depth. I watch Andy equally as much but the comparisons are typically lackluster and just overall, while they are nice for a skim of the figure, they rarely have much helpful within.

That is just my opinion though.
An oversized house cat.

Stegotyranno420

A @Andysdinosaurreviews has the best reviews in my opinion, he essentially is the archive of all dinosaur figures and is always thorough aswell as positive. Sure it may be seen as repetive but i see it as continuity.

On the Spinosaurus, i personally am not a fan of the water coloring in the bottom part

RobinGoodfellow

It's not about to be positive/negative.
Please, let's not forget that Youtube also has a commercial side. 
Manufacturers send their products to certain youtubers for free ( before the official release date) to increase visibility and youtubers can get an economic return from their own channel based on views.
Nothing wrong with that.
All perfectly legitimate. 
But often the reviews may not be so impartial. 
That's all.
The best thing to do is a disclaimer saying if you're talking about a "sponsor" or not (as you can see on many channels on Youtube).

Andysdinosaurreviews

I always try to point out any negative that I can find. I just love dinosaurs so much that I don't look at every little thing as a negative like some others do. Some people like to nitpick just for the sake of nitpicking. Whatever I say is of course always my opinion and can't be taken as fact. However I'm not sure if you have only watched videos of figures I'm super excited about and absolutely love, or what exactly but I definitely always point out any negatives about a figure. I just don't trash talk them like others because I don't feel like there is a point in doing that. I try to point out the negatives in a way where they are obviously mentioned, but without trashing someone's hard work. I'm always open to criticism though as I've had people on here in the past make mention of my lack of comparisons, so over the last few months I have increased the comparisons in my videos drastically and always try to give enough of a comparison that you can get an idea of the size of the figure. So I do apologize if you find my videos repetitive as far as my excitement level goes, but I think you should try watching a little bit more of my videos to try to take notice to the fact that I do state the negatives consistently when there are some to be mentioned.

Sturisoma

I remember Andy's Iron Studios Dilophosaurus review was good because he was pointing out the negatives there. He wasn't as excited in his other reviews when he took it out of the box. He does point out negatives like sloppy paints and obvious seam lines. In the Nanmu Raptor Squad review, he did mention about the "dentures," but he only stated his opinion that it can be a simple paint fix with a toothpick. (Still have not bought that Denture Squad though  :)) )
In the Star Ace Concavenator review, he mentioned that Star Ace sent him a sample of the statue without a box. Not sure I have seen any sponsored review from him.
I think the charm of Andy's reviews is he reviews the figures with eyes of child-like wonder.
I like his channel as was mentioned the lighting is not too bright. I don't like bright lights as it washes the colors somehow, and I think dino figures look best in not so harsh lighting. I like the close up shots as the movements are not too jerky and you can appreciate the positives like the details and spot the negatives like seam lines. The comparison with other figures is also a very nice feature since he has a big collection, and it gives the viewers a sense of scale if they have the same figures.
I go to DinosDragons for more scientific reviews, but I watch Andy's for chill casual viewing.

Andysdinosaurreviews

Quote from: Sturisoma on January 12, 2023, 08:41:20 AMI remember Andy's Iron Studios Dilophosaurus review was good because he was pointing out the negatives there. He wasn't as excited in his other reviews when he took it out of the box. He does point out negatives like sloppy paints and obvious seam lines. In the Nanmu Raptor Squad review, he did mention about the "dentures," but he only stated his opinion that it can be a simple paint fix with a toothpick. (Still have not bought that Denture Squad though  :)) )
In the Star Ace Concavenator review, he mentioned that Star Ace sent him a sample of the statue without a box. Not sure I have seen any sponsored review from him.
I think the charm of Andy's reviews is he reviews the figures with eyes of child-like wonder.
I like his channel as was mentioned the lighting is not too bright. I don't like bright lights as it washes the colors somehow, and I think dino figures look best in not so harsh lighting. I like the close up shots as the movements are not too jerky and you can appreciate the positives like the details and spot the negatives like seam lines. The comparison with other figures is also a very nice feature since he has a big collection, and it gives the viewers a sense of scale if they have the same figures.
I go to DinosDragons for more scientific reviews, but I watch Andy's for chill casual viewing.

Thank you so much for the kind words! Also thank you for pointing out the fact that I do in fact mention the negatives. I always try to mention any obvious negative about any figure. I'm thinking the people that don't see that are the ones that only watch reviews of figures I'm very excited about. You're not going to hear me State too many negatives about a model that is really well done. If they watch some of my Mattel reviews, recent Papo reviews, etc they would absolutely see me pointing out negatives left and right. Also the iron Studios Dilophosaurus as you mentioned which was pretty much a disaster.

Dinosdragons is fantastic when it comes to very informative reviews about the accuracy of the model. I'm no paleontologist and I definitely don't have the opportunity to read up on the newest scientific findings on dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures very often. I'm insanely busy usually and barely have time to get the reviews done for my YouTube channel. I actually work two jobs, have three children and a wife so I have very little time for anything. Then of course working on my YouTube channel and making sure I have a new video up every single day is very time consuming so I too like to watch Dinosdragons for a more scientific approach to different models. He's probably the most informative on YouTube when it comes to scientific accuracy. I just wish I had more time to stay up to date on that stuff as well so I could include it in my reviews more.