News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

POLL: Top ten figures of 2022

Started by Halichoeres, January 04, 2023, 07:34:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What were your favorite releases of 2022? Vote for up to ten.

Ancestors Edmontosaurus annectens
CollectA Cooperoceras
CollectA Edmontosaurus
CollectA Geosternbergia/Pteranodon sternbergi
CollectA Paraceratherium
CollectA Smok
CollectA Spinosaurus
CollectA Triceratops
Creative Beast Dromaeosaurus 1/18
Creative Beast Linheraptor 1/18
Creative Beast Medusaceratops Fans' Choice repaint
Creative Beast Protoceratops andrewsi 1/18
Creative Beast Protoceratops hellenikorhinus 1/18
Creative Beast Psittacosaurus 1/18
Creative Beast Tyrannosaurus 1/18
Creative Beast Tyrannosaurus 1/35
Creative Beast Velociraptor 1/18
EoFauna Diplodocus
EoFauna Konobelodon
F-Toys Anomalocaris
F-Toys Hallucigenia
Kaiyodo Dakotaraptor
Kaiyodo Hydrodamalis (Steller's sea cow)
Kaiyodo Megatherium
Kaiyodo Ornithomimus
Kaiyodo Platybelodon
Kaiyodo Thylacosmilus
Kaiyodo Triceratops
Kaiyodo Tyrannosaurus
Kaiyodo Urile (spectacled cormorant)
Mattel Allosaurus Extreme Damage
Mattel Ceratosaurus Hammond Collection
Mattel Dilophosaurus Hammond Collection
Mattel Dreadnoughtus
Mattel Lystrosaurus (Maisie/raptor set)
Mattel Therizinosaurus
Mattel Triceratops Hammond Collection
Mattel Tyrannosaurus Hammond Collection
Mojö Fun Mammuthus (woolly mammoth)
Nanmu Brachiosaurus JP3
Nanmu Carnotaurus "Ranger" 2.0
Nanmu Spinosaurus "Supplanter"
PNSO Acrocanthosaurus
PNSO Centrosaurus
PNSO Deinocheirus
PNSO Lingwulong
PNSO Sinopliosaurus (Spinosauridae indet.)
PNSO Sinraptor
PNSO Styracosaurus
PNSO Suchomimus
PNSO Therizinosaurus
PNSO Torosaurus
PNSO Tsintaosaurus
PNSO Zhuchengtyrannus
Rebor Triceratops "Trident King"/"Horn of Doom"
Rebor Tyrannosaurus "Kiss"
Rebor Tyrannosaurus "Tusk"
Safari Ltd Albertosaurus
Safari Ltd Cryolophosaurus
Safari Ltd "Nanotyrannus" Dino Dana
Safari Ltd Patagotitan
Safari Ltd Stygimoloch Dino Dana
Safari Ltd Zuul Dino Dana
Schleich Amargasaurus
Schleich Majungasaurus
Schleich Nothosaurus
Schleich Parasaurolophus
Schleich Styracosaurus
write in (please comment!)

Stegotyranno420

I voted for PNSO Acrocanthosaurus for my main, alongside others.

Pliosaurking

I voted Nanmu's Spinosaurus as my number 1. Alongside a few others (that PNSO Deinocheirus is a very close second!).

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Can you keep this poll open at least until Everything Dinosaur get the Safari Ltd Zuul, Nanotyrannus, ALbertosaurus, Dracorex and Cryolophosaurus and the PNSO Suchomimus and Therizinosaurus, unless I'm allowed to call them 2023 figures on here, like I do in real life as they are.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

SidB

Six PNSO for me (it was a great year), the two Eofaunas, one Rebor (Kiss) and the Mojo. Tough to leave out a half dozen or so other choices that easily could have been selected. Again, an outstanding year.

Pachyrhinosaurus

The Safari Cryolophosaurus was my favorite from last year's lineup. I also voted for their albertosaurus, patagotitan, zuul, nanotyrannus, and stygimoloch. Voted for the Hammond Collection tyrannosaurus, triceratops, and dilophosaurus, too.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Primeval12

Quote from: Lynx on January 18, 2023, 08:29:18 PMI am determined to get a Schleich figure in the top twenty, we can do it, dear Styracosaurus

Possibly the Gastonia but CollectA may fill the 2023 poll hahah

Lynx

Two votes for the Schleich Styracosaurus, I consider this an absolute win
An oversized house cat.

SidB

Quote from: Lynx on January 19, 2023, 01:46:02 AMTwo votes for the Schleich Styracosaurus, I consider this an absolute win
Hey, I like it too - it was my first acquisition of 2022, though it did get crowded out when I voted. The competition was fierce!

Thialfi

What a year in collecting. What a time to be a collector. Blessed we are in this hobby that each and every year the quality of the figures available to us gets better - better sculpts, better paintwork. And a near endless pool of species to choose from, expanding constantly.

So hereby my top 10. Sometimes with heavy heart and continuous doubt, but choices have to be made and in the end it's a wealth indeed to get to choose from so many amazing figures. In no particular order:

CollectA Cooperoceras
CollectA Paraceratherium
CollectA Smok
EoFauna Diplodocus
EoFauna Konobelodon
Mojö Fun Mammuthus
PNSO Centrosaurus
PNSO Deinocheirus
PNSO Lingwulong
Rebor Tyrannosaurus 'Kiss'

All the figures I have chosen are figures I personally own. That's a simple rule I laid out for myself. They're not the very best figures per se, from a technical standpoint at least. But they are the figures that enticed me the most, sometimes for rather abstract reasons. For example, I think technically the CollectA Edmontosaurus is a better figure than their Smok. But Smok scores points for being unique, for being a Triassic critter, and such points weigh heavier for me.

Anyway, enough babble. Can't wait to see y'all's lists and the eventual winners!

edit: one final thing, no Safari Ltd. on my list, unfortunately. Living in Europe I haven't been able to obtain any of their 2022 figures so far. I hope 2023 will make up for that!

SRF

I don't own all the figures I've voted for yet, but my top ten was quite easy to make. My votes went to:

• Eofauna Diplodocus
  • PNSO Deinocheirus
  • PNSO Therizinosaurus
  • PNSO Torosaurus
  • PNSO Suchomimus
  • PNSO Zhuchengtyrannus
  • Rebor Triceratops
  • Rebor T. rex Kiss
  • Rebor T. rex Tusk
  • Safari Albertosaurus

The Safari Albertosaurus still isn't available where I live, but this is the only chance I get to vote for it. Since I am waiting for an Albertosaurus for quite a while now, I definitely wanted to include it in my list.

But today, I'm just being father

ceratopsian

I didn't consider models not available yet where I live, which ruled out all the Safari bar the Patagotitan (but probably wouldn't have voted for these anyway, with possible exception of Zuul).  It also ruled out the PNSO Therizinosaurus and Suchomimus.   The former would almost certainly have made my top ten, the latter might well have done.

I came up with the following, in rough order (hazier order as you go down the list).

1. PNSO Deinocheirus: for me, the clear standout of the year.

2. PNSO Lingwulong: when it was released, I thought this would be my winner - until the Deinocheirus came out.

3. Creative Beast Medusaceratops fan version: I'm still astonished by the paintwork.  I'm partial to PNSO's plausible colour schemes, but I'm partial to this one in a different way.

4. PNSO Tsintaosaurus: expensive, yes; small, yes.  But beautiful and it gives me pleasure every time I catch sight of it.

5. PNSO Acrocanthosaurus: aesthetically a stunner.

6. PNSO Torosaurus: sober but beautiful.

7. CollectA Edmontosaurus: a very different aesthetic from PNSO, but visually appealing.  I like its vivid pose that calls out for a background story!

8. Eofauna Konobelodon: another superb elephant from them.

9. CollectA Cooperoceras: I admire the way CollectA has the courage to give us ancient invertebrates.  And the pearly finish is superbly done.

10. PNSO Centrosaurus: sober but splendid.  Wanted one for ages.

The animal that's a personal favourite but not suitable for inclusion in the poll, as it's just a repaint - and anyway, hardly anyone else I imagine would have got hold of one:  CollectA's exclusive for Melbourne Museums of their Triceratops.  I would insert this into my list in 4th place.

And the one I would have liked to shoehorn in but ran out of votes: PNSO's Styracosaurus.

SidB

Interesting, though maybe not surprising, that the ratio of votes , so far, for Rebor's 'Kiss' versus 'Tusk', is 20 to 3. I wonder if that reflects the actual ratio of sales, respectively? If so, or even anywhere near that, Rebor will struggle in the short term anyways, to sell off the 'Tusk' inventory. It would certainly confirm the turn of the tide, at least around here, towards lipped theropods, especially the rex. I hope that Eofauna is aware of this for their upcoming Tyrannosaurus.

Samrukia

Quote from: SidB on January 20, 2023, 06:31:08 PMInteresting, though maybe not surprising, that the ratio of votes , so far, for Rebor's 'Kiss' versus 'Tusk', is 20 to 3. I wonder if that reflects the actual ratio of sales, respectively? If so, or even anywhere near that, Rebor will struggle in the short term anyways, to sell off the 'Tusk' inventory. It would certainly confirm the turn of the tide, at least around here, towards lipped theropods, especially the rex. I hope that Eofauna is aware of this for their upcoming Tyrannosaurus.

i think Kiss is more popular than Tusk but,
i don't think it reflects the actual ratio, the poll is limited to 10 votes

Halichoeres

Quote from: Lynx on January 18, 2023, 08:29:18 PMI am determined to get a Schleich figure in the top twenty, we can do it, dear Styracosaurus
If there is a Schleich figure that deserves it, it's that one. I'd rather see votes there than for Nanmu. My dislike for Nanmu is so strong that I have stopped visiting the Recent Acquisitions thread because it bums me out when I see a photo of one there.

avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi I agree that the Schleich Nothosaurus is a huge disappointment. I saw one in a shop recently, and its left limbs, pointed forward, have darker paint on the upper surface. So far so good. The right limbs, pointed backward, have darker paint on their upper surface, in other words their lower surface if they were repositioned. And overall it gives the impression of a bendy toy, except without even the novelty of posability.

To those concerned that particular figures have not reached their country, I understand the frustration, but I just think that the simplest way to do it is to include something if it was released anywhere in 2022. There are figures that are out in the UK that aren't out in the States, or out in China that aren't in the States, and I don't think I can privilege any particular country. That said, I'll try to leave ample time for the poll, but I can't promise that it will include any specific release in any specific location or from any specific retailer.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Faelrin

Top five seems to be (at the time of posting this):

-EoFauna Diplodocus (30)
-PNSO Deinocheirus (29)
-PNSO Suchomimus (21)
-EoFauna Konobelodon (20)
-Rebor Tyrannosaurus "Kiss" (20)

No surprises here, and some of these are straight up neck and neck. Next in line seems to be (again some are neck to neck):

-PNSO Acrocanthosaurus (17)
-PNSO Therizinosaurus (17)
-PNSO Tsintaosaurus (15)
-PNSO Zhuchengtyrannus (13)
-Safari Ltd Albertosaurus (13)

Potential runner up's that could change the tide:

-PNSO Lingwulong (12)
-PNSO Torosaurus (12)
-CollectA Cooperoceras (12)
-Creative Beast Tyrannosaurus 1/18 (11)
-PNSO Centrosaurus (10)

I can't recall but I think this is honestly the first year a Rebor figure takes the top ten and perhaps top 5 at that. Well deserved I think. Eofauna and PNSO continues to dominate these polls as well.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Sim

I dislike Nanmu figures too, but also Mattel figures.  I feel unhappy when I see either, like in the recent acquisitions thread or when I look for new prehistoric figure videos from the most prominent Youtubers in this hobby, or in new Dinosaur Toy Blog reviews.

SidB

With 31 votes apiece and 51 total votes in so far, it looks like it's going to be a two-way horse race between the PNSO Deinocheirus and the Eofauna Diplodocus. You could see that one coming a mile (Kilometer) off.

SidB

Quote from: Sim on January 20, 2023, 10:36:53 PMI dislike Nanmu figures too, but also Mattel figures.  I feel unhappy when I see either, like in the recent acquisitions thread or when I look for new prehistoric figure videos from the most prominent Youtubers in this hobby, or in new Dinosaur Toy Blog reviews.
If I'm honest with myself, I have to admit that I tend to be in the same boat, and not only that, but I don't care for articulated figures either, excepting a well-done jaw articulation. Still, I don't think that that's even necessary on herbivores. For instance, I display my PNSO Torosaurus and both Triceratops with the jaws closed and never open them up.

Having said all of that, I'm quite pleased for the people who do like Nanmu, Mattel and all the new articulated figures and will attempt to objectively rate the reviews of these figures on the DTB. It's nice to see folk enjoying that aspect of the hobby, even if I'm not terribly interested in it. I've discovered that there's a certain satisfaction that comes from seeing other people enjoying themselves with something good, even if I'm not heavily into it. Might be an age thing on my part.

Gwangi

Quote from: SidB on January 21, 2023, 12:11:10 PM
Quote from: Sim on January 20, 2023, 10:36:53 PMI dislike Nanmu figures too, but also Mattel figures.  I feel unhappy when I see either, like in the recent acquisitions thread or when I look for new prehistoric figure videos from the most prominent Youtubers in this hobby, or in new Dinosaur Toy Blog reviews.
If I'm honest with myself, I have to admit that I tend to be in the same boat, and not only that, but I don't care for articulated figures either, excepting a well-done jaw articulation. Still, I don't think that that's even necessary on herbivores. For instance, I display my PNSO Torosaurus and both Triceratops with the jaws closed and never open them up.

Having said all of that, I'm quite pleased for the people who do like Nanmu, Mattel and all the new articulated figures and will attempt to objectively rate the reviews of these figures on the DTB. It's nice to see folk enjoying that aspect of the hobby, even if I'm not terribly interested in it. I've discovered that there's a certain satisfaction that comes from seeing other people enjoying themselves with something good, even if I'm not heavily into it. Might be an age thing on my part.

That's how I feel too. I also think there is a lot of ugly snobbery and gatekeeping in this hobby. We all collect toy dinosaurs, no one is above anyone else in that endeavor no matter how they try to spin it. All of my life I've dealt with weird and negative reactions from the common folk that don't approve of my niche hobbies, it's sad that I have to deal with it within my own hobby too. I like seeing people happy and enjoying their hobby. Instead of judgement over what they collect I strive for empathy and understanding. Nanmu and Mattel fill their niches well, and I'm not going to shame someone for wanting to collect movie inspired dinosaurs vs. scientific reconstructions, no more than I would shame someone for collecting Transformers instead of model trucks.

bmathison1972

Tough choices; these were mine:
CollectA Cooperoceras
CollectA Smok
CollectA Paraceratherium
Safari Albertosaurus
Safari Cryolophosaurus
Safari Zuul
Safari Patagotitan
PNSO Therizinosaurus
PNSO Centrosaurus (the only figure I voted for that I didn't buy; I just love good ceratopsians)
PNSO Lingwulong

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: