News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

POLL: Top ten figures of 2022

Started by Halichoeres, January 04, 2023, 07:34:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What were your favorite releases of 2022? Vote for up to ten.

Ancestors Edmontosaurus annectens
CollectA Cooperoceras
CollectA Edmontosaurus
CollectA Geosternbergia/Pteranodon sternbergi
CollectA Paraceratherium
CollectA Smok
CollectA Spinosaurus
CollectA Triceratops
Creative Beast Dromaeosaurus 1/18
Creative Beast Linheraptor 1/18
Creative Beast Medusaceratops Fans' Choice repaint
Creative Beast Protoceratops andrewsi 1/18
Creative Beast Protoceratops hellenikorhinus 1/18
Creative Beast Psittacosaurus 1/18
Creative Beast Tyrannosaurus 1/18
Creative Beast Tyrannosaurus 1/35
Creative Beast Velociraptor 1/18
EoFauna Diplodocus
EoFauna Konobelodon
F-Toys Anomalocaris
F-Toys Hallucigenia
Kaiyodo Dakotaraptor
Kaiyodo Hydrodamalis (Steller's sea cow)
Kaiyodo Megatherium
Kaiyodo Ornithomimus
Kaiyodo Platybelodon
Kaiyodo Thylacosmilus
Kaiyodo Triceratops
Kaiyodo Tyrannosaurus
Kaiyodo Urile (spectacled cormorant)
Mattel Allosaurus Extreme Damage
Mattel Ceratosaurus Hammond Collection
Mattel Dilophosaurus Hammond Collection
Mattel Dreadnoughtus
Mattel Lystrosaurus (Maisie/raptor set)
Mattel Therizinosaurus
Mattel Triceratops Hammond Collection
Mattel Tyrannosaurus Hammond Collection
Mojö Fun Mammuthus (woolly mammoth)
Nanmu Brachiosaurus JP3
Nanmu Carnotaurus "Ranger" 2.0
Nanmu Spinosaurus "Supplanter"
PNSO Acrocanthosaurus
PNSO Centrosaurus
PNSO Deinocheirus
PNSO Lingwulong
PNSO Sinopliosaurus (Spinosauridae indet.)
PNSO Sinraptor
PNSO Styracosaurus
PNSO Suchomimus
PNSO Therizinosaurus
PNSO Torosaurus
PNSO Tsintaosaurus
PNSO Zhuchengtyrannus
Rebor Triceratops "Trident King"/"Horn of Doom"
Rebor Tyrannosaurus "Kiss"
Rebor Tyrannosaurus "Tusk"
Safari Ltd Albertosaurus
Safari Ltd Cryolophosaurus
Safari Ltd "Nanotyrannus" Dino Dana
Safari Ltd Patagotitan
Safari Ltd Stygimoloch Dino Dana
Safari Ltd Zuul Dino Dana
Schleich Amargasaurus
Schleich Majungasaurus
Schleich Nothosaurus
Schleich Parasaurolophus
Schleich Styracosaurus
write in (please comment!)

Halichoeres

It's 2023, so I think we can now start nominating our favorite 2022 figures. I want to be sure I don't miss anything, so please comment with figures you'd like to vote for. I'll start with a few that I think are likely to get a lot of votes.

Ancestors Edmontosaurus annectens
CollectA Cooperoceras
CollectA Edmontosaurus
CollectA Geosternbergia/Pteranodon sternbergi
CollectA Paraceratherium
CollectA Smok
CollectA Spinosaurus
CollectA Triceratops
Creative Beast 1/18 Dromaeosaurus
Creative Beast 1/18 Linheraptor
Creative Beast 1/18 Protoceratops andrewsi
Creative Beast 1/18 Protoceratops hellenikorhinus
Creative Beast 1/18 Psittacosaurus
Creative Beast 1/18 Velociraptor
Creative Beast Medusaceratops (Fan's Choice repaint)
Creative Beast Tyrannosaurus 1/18
Creative Beast Tyrannosaurus 1/35
EoFauna Diplodocus
EoFauna Konobelodon
F-Toys Anomalocaris (any paint scheme)
F-Toys Hallucigenia (any paint scheme)
Kaiyodo Dakotaraptor
Kaiyodo Hydrodamalis (Steller's sea cow)
Kaiyodo Megatherium
Kaiyodo Ornithomimus
Kaiyodo Platybelodon
Kaiyodo Thylacosmilus
Kaiyodo Triceratops
Kaiyodo Tyrannosaurus
Kaiyodo Urile (spectacled cormorant)
Mattel Allosaurus (Extreme Damage)
Mattel Ceratosaurus (Hammond Collection
Mattel Dilophosaurus (Hammond Collection)
Mattel Dreadnoughtus
Mattel Lystrosaurus
Mattel Therizinosaurus
Mattel Triceratops (Hammond Collection)
Mattel Tyrannosaurus (Hammond Collection)
Mojo Fun Mammuthus
Nanmu Brachiosaurus JP3
Nanmu Carnotaurus 2.0 "Ranger"
Nanmu Spinosaurus "Supplanter"
PNSO Acrocanthosaurus
PNSO Centrosaurus
PNSO Deinocheirus
PNSO Lingwulong
PNSO Sinopliosaurus (Spinosauridae indet., cf. Siamosaurus)
PNSO Sinraptor
PNSO Styracosaurus
PNSO Suchomimus
PNSO Therizinosaurus
PNSO Torosaurus
PNSO Tsintaosaurus
PNSO Zhuchengtyrannus
Rebor Triceratops "Trident King/Horn of Doom"
Rebor Tyrannosaurus "Kiss"
Rebor Tyrannosaurus "Tusk"
Safari Ltd Albertosaurus
Safari Ltd "Nanotyrannus"
Safari Ltd Patagotitan
Safari ltd "Stygimoloch"
Safari Ltd Zuul
Schleich Amargasaurus
Schleich Majungasaurus
Schleich Nothosaurus
Schleich Parasaurolophus
Schleich Styracosaurus

Please only nominate figures you might plausibly vote for, this isn't supposed to be an exhaustive list of everything released in 2022, which I count at more than 400 items.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Chasmosaurus

There was also a Creative Beast 1/18 Vélociraptor
Man is only interested in what he invents while what surrounds him is made in a much more extraordinary and complex way

Gwangi

Not much faith that Mattel toys will make the top 10? Haha, I don't blame you. I would at least like to see the Dreadnoughtus and Hammond Collection T. rex on there.

Thialfi

Rebor Smilodon populator (this was 2022 right?)
Rebor Triceratops horridus Trident King/Horn of Doom
Mojo Fun Woolly Mammoth

I think these three deserve a nomination at least. Thanks for compiling the list!

Pachyrhinosaurus

I would also like to nominate the Mattel Hammond Collection dilophosaurus and triceratops.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Dilophosaurus_8o

i'd like to nominate the hammond collection Tyrannosaurus rex, a personal favourite of mine.
I've been sleeping in a cardboard box, spending every dollar at the liquor shop, but even though I know I haven't got a lot, I'll try to give you love until the day you drop

Pliosaurking

Nanmu Supplanter 2.0 Limted edition Spinosaurus
Botm Fan's choice Medusaceratops
And Hammond Collection Trex
I think these are all deserving of a nomination from myself

Faelrin

Ah too bad the BotM tyrannosaur series didn't quite make the cutoff. Next year is going to be a doozy for them though. That said still plenty of tough competition, so that helps make it easier for me to decide. avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres FYI the Kaiyodo figure is Thylacosmilus, not Thylacoleo. I'm guessing it was a typo, but either way wanted to help point that out. It's definitely one of the figures I'll be voting for, and one that's been long overdue since the Geoworld figure retired, and has become outdated.

Also in case it may be of use to anyone (despite being incomplete, and some things need updating), if anyone needs to jog their memory, please check out this link (and optionally, sort by company).

I think the Creative Beast Fan's Choice Medusaceratops should be listed. I know it is a repaint, but is still one of the most beautiful colorations I've seen on a dinosaur figure (at least from the images and videos of it, didn't buy it yet). The sparkly iridescence probably helps.

Not sure if the F-Toys Anomalocaris and Hallucigenia figures are 2022 releases. I really liked what I saw of those too, but don't have them in hand yet. avatar_brettnj @brettnj can you confirm if those have released already? If not someone else. I think I saw someone have them already though, but forgot who it was (sorry). Currently debating on if I want to vote for any of them or not. There was four different versions of each too, which doesn't help.

I'm also debating on if I want to vote for any Mattel or Safari Ltd figures this year. It's going to be really tough for me to decide honestly. Problem with liking too much stuff I suppose.

Here's my personal shortlist that I'm having trouble trying to narrow down even further for the eventual top 10:
Spoiler
Creative Beast Medusaceratops
Eofauna Diplodocus
F-Toys Anomalocaris (any color)
F-Toys Hallucigenia (any color)
Kaiyodo Ornithomimus
Kaiyodo Thylacosmilus
PNSO Acrocanthosaurus
PNSO Deinocheirus
PNSO Suchomimus
Rebor Kiss T. rex
Mattel Lystrosaurus
Mattel HC T. rex
Mattel Therizinosaurus
Safari Ltd Albertosaurus
Safari Ltd Zuul
[close]
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Carnoking

Folks have beat me to the punch on a lot of these but I would also like to nominate Nanmu's Carnotaurus 2.0 Ranger (the Standard Variant), as well as their JP3 Brachiosaurus and standard Spinosaurus 2.0.

Not sure if limited custom made pieces are to be considered but I think Ancestors' E. annectens is deserving of a nod.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Chasmosaurus on January 04, 2023, 07:40:06 PMThere was also a Creative Beast 1/18 Vélociraptor
I knew I'd missed one, thanks!

Quote from: Gwangi on January 04, 2023, 08:36:05 PMNot much faith that Mattel toys will make the top 10? Haha, I don't blame you. I would at least like to see the Dreadnoughtus and Hammond Collection T. rex on there.
Ha ha, actually I thought about including the Dreadnoughtus, but my interaction with Mattel products is very idiosyncratic, so I figured I'd better let the fans of the line choose which to include (which they've done, thanks all!). I had completely forgotten, for example, that the HC rex even existed.

Quote from: Pliosaurking on January 04, 2023, 10:30:39 PMNanmu Supplanter 2.0 Limted edition Spinosaurus
Botm Fan's choice Medusaceratops
And Hammond Collection Trex
I think these are all deserving of a nomination from myself
I thought the Nanmu Spino was just now coming out? Shouldn't that be a 2023 nominee?

Quote from: Carnoking on January 05, 2023, 11:27:44 AMFolks have beat me to the punch on a lot of these but I would also like to nominate Nanmu's Carnotaurus 2.0 Ranger (the Standard Variant), as well as their JP3 Brachiosaurus and standard Spinosaurus 2.0.

Not sure if limited custom made pieces are to be considered but I think Ancestors' E. annectens is deserving of a nod.

I have to say it kind of pains me to add Nanmu here, since they are essentially selling ripped off designs and are pretty redundant with Prime 1 and W-Dragon.

I've looked at some past polls, and in some years resin figures and other fragile items have been excluded from contention (Rebor was excluded one year because Rebor themselves said their products don't count as toys). On the other hand, in some years, Sideshow Dinosauria figures were included. So if you think you'll vote for the Ancestors Edmontosaurus, I'll include it.

Thanks for your suggestions, everyone! I think I've added everything, except the "Supplanter" Spino until someone can clarify the release date for me. If I missed anything, please remind me. I'll leave this open for a few more days in case occasional visitors want to nominate a favorite.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Pliosaurking

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres i believe it was intended to be a 2022 figure, I think it just depends on which distributers got there's in first.
 I'm not completely sure on this but this is what I do know: I got mine from everything dinosaur in early December, and some people got there's from Lana time shop when the standard 2.0 figure came out. I think it's just that big bad toy store got theirs in a bit later. 

Carnoking

Quote from: Halichoeres on January 05, 2023, 07:42:55 PM
Quote from: Chasmosaurus on January 04, 2023, 07:40:06 PM
Quote from: Carnoking on January 05, 2023, 11:27:44 AMFolks have beat me to the punch on a lot of these but I would also like to nominate Nanmu's Carnotaurus 2.0 Ranger (the Standard Variant), as well as their JP3 Brachiosaurus and standard Spinosaurus 2.0.

I have to say it kind of pains me to add Nanmu here, since they are essentially selling ripped off designs and are pretty redundant with Prime 1 and W-Dragon.

I've looked at some past polls, and in some years resin figures and other fragile items have been excluded from contention (Rebor was excluded one year because Rebor themselves said their products don't count as toys). On the other hand, in some years, Sideshow Dinosauria figures were included. So if you think you'll vote for the Ancestors Edmontosaurus, I'll include it.

I would say your compunction towards including Nanmu are not unwarranted given the fact that they're just polished versions of other releases/designs.

That said, in an all around countdown, Nanmu's pieces are still artistically strong, even exceeding the work of the officially licensed brands in many cases.  I would be hard pressed not to acknowledge their work from the past year in regards to their technical execution, no matter how derivative.

As far as the Edmontosaurus goes, it's certainly sitting somewhere in my personal top 10 at the moment (where exactly remains to be hashed out) but I would definitely cast a vote for it!

Halichoeres

Quote from: Pliosaurking on January 05, 2023, 08:21:30 PMI got mine from everything dinosaur in early December
That's good enough for me. I'll include it.

Concavenator

My votes go for these:

Ancestors Edmontosaurus
CollectA Geosternbergia
Creative Beast Tyrannosaurus (I'll just choose the 1:35 for the sake of choosing only 1)
Creative Beast Protoceratops andrewsi
Eofauna Diplodocus
PNSO Suchomimus
PNSO Styracosaurus
PNSO Deinocheirus
PNSO Torosaurus
Safari Ltd Albertosaurus

These aren't ranked, they're just ordered alphabetically by company name. I'm only including figures of animals known from good remains and that are pretty accurate, so I'm not including figures like the PNSO Zhuchengtyrannus, Siamosaurus, Eofauna Konobelodon and forth, despite also being very nice.

Halichoeres

I have the same question on the BotM Tyrannosaurus that I had on the Nanmu Spinosaurus: Did anyone actually receive theirs in December? If so, then I'll include it.

Concavenator

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres FWIW, Plastic Prehistorica (YouTube channel) had hers by 31st December. avatar_Gothmog the Baryonyx @Gothmog the Baryonyx also shared theirs on 1st January, perhaps it got there before?

Faelrin

Come to think of it, I forgot the unpainted BotM Tyrannosaurus (both 1:18 and 1:35) shipped out this year. It's the painted ones that will be shipping out later this month (and Wave 1.5 after those). I won't be voting for those, but thought I'd mention it to remind folks in case anyone is interested in any of those particular versions. There are also a few folks that have had review samples shipped out to them, such as D @Dino Scream3232 who got the Dino Riders T. rex, but not sure if those count for something like this, since the majority are still waiting?
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Eatmycar

Surprised the Mattel Hammond Ceratosaurus isn't up here? It's widely regarded as one of the best Hammond Collection figures.

Gwangi

Quote from: Eatmycar on January 07, 2023, 04:49:45 PMSurprised the Mattel Hammond Ceratosaurus isn't up here? It's widely regarded as one of the best Hammond Collection figures.

I actually like it more than the T. rex, it's my favorite HC figure. Why didn't I suggest it? I guess because I want to limit my number of Mattel votes to two and the T. rex is just above and beyond, it's the kind of thing I've waited 30 years for. But the Ceratosaurus should probably be on the list and it might win my vote over the T. rex, in the end.

ceratopsian

It was certainly available from Everything Dinosaur in time for December delivery - but I didn't order one.

Quote from: Halichoeres on January 06, 2023, 11:19:16 PMI have the same question on the BotM Tyrannosaurus that I had on the Nanmu Spinosaurus: Did anyone actually receive theirs in December? If so, then I'll include it.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: