You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

What are you still waiting on the definitive version of?

Started by Ravonium, January 12, 2020, 07:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

avatar_GojiraGuy1954 @GojiraGuy1954 a lot of the ones on your list I think already have excellent versions, I don't understand why they would need another, such as Baryonyx, Carcharodontosaurus, Gryposaurus, Regaliceratops...
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Lynx

Microraptor.
This is gonna be a hotter take, but I don't think any company's offerings do it right.
- BOTM: Too skinny, 7/10
- CollectA: Lacks defining plumage on the tail, too skinny 5/10
- Schleich: Small but wrong colors, too skinny 3/10
- Safari LTD: No iridescence, yes it's a good figure in its own right but just does not feel definitive. 9.5/10, so close. It doesn't ruin the figure, but I think it can be done better.
- PNSO (small): Probably the best on this list, has crest though which has not been identified nor preserved to ever be on Microraptor. 9/10
- PNSO (big): No lips, too skinny, plumage is messy for the animal but I won't count that against it. 6.5/10.

Maybe I'm being unfair or nitpicky, but I really think we have yet to see a definitive figure of the animal.
An oversized house cat.

Dusty Wren

On this forum, the word "definitive" seems to be shorthand for "meets all of my personal aesthetic/accuracy/budgetary/scale-related needs." So everyone is using a wildly different interpretation of that word in a thread like this.
Check out my customs thread!

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Halichoeres on January 11, 2023, 01:44:38 PMavatar_GojiraGuy1954 @GojiraGuy1954 a lot of the ones on your list I think already have excellent versions, I don't understand why they would need another, such as Baryonyx, Carcharodontosaurus, Gryposaurus, Regaliceratops...
Safari Baryonyx doesn't have the correct head crest for a Ceratosuchopsine, PNSO Carcharodontosaurus lacks any keratin on the crests and has no lips, Safari Gryposaurus is retired, and CollectA Regaliceratops has Psittacosaurus quills on the tail
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Pliosaurking

avatar_GojiraGuy1954 @GojiraGuy1954 The GR toys Carcharodontosaurus has lips and is fairly accurate to my knowledge, it's also gorgeous. The only issue is finding one as I've heard there scarce nowadays. Safari's Regailceratops is also pretty nice, and there's also the Botm one too if your into Articulated figures.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Pliosaurking on January 11, 2023, 06:59:13 PMavatar_GojiraGuy1954 @GojiraGuy1954 The GR toys Carcharodontosaurus has lips and is fairly accurate to my knowledge, it's also gorgeous. The only issue is finding one as I've heard there scarce nowadays. Safari's Regailceratops is also pretty nice, and there's also the Botm one too if your into Articulated figures.
GR Toys Carcharodontosaurus is practically nonexistent
Safari's Regaliceratops is good but not definitive, the brow horns are too small (I prefer the ones on the CollectA)
I'm not a fan of most pre-Tyrannosaurus series BoTM figures and most of them are way out of my price range
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Sim

Figures get retired sometimes, if an excellent version of an animal exists but is retired, then the definitive figure exists already.  I'd say that is the case for Gryposaurus (Safari) and Carcharodontosaurus (Haolonggood).  Since many people have those figures, I think it's unlikely another good version will come along soon since there's not much demand for it.

The PNSO Carcharodontosaurus is good too, and it does have keratin on its snout.  Baryonyx isn't a ceratosuchopsini and its head crest is known.  I think the teeth in the Safari 2021 Baryonyx's upper jaw being too low in number and too big is what stops it being definitive though, I'm also not convinced the nostril would be so far forward on the real animal (I've read Doug's explanation for it) and that the snout would be so short - this last detail makes it looks retro to me.  I think the Favorite Baryonyx is better and excellent.

The Safari Regaliceratops's horns look fine to me.

Sim

I forgot to say, the two most recent CollectA Baryonyx figures are excellent too.  I forget about them because they have permanent bases.

Halichoeres

avatar_GojiraGuy1954 @GojiraGuy1954 I see. You're using much more stringent criteria than I do. Anyway, there are certainly other animals on your list I'd like to see figures of.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

I'd have to put Lambeosaurus on this list, TBH. The PNSO is absolutely gorgeous... but just a shade too gracile for me. The Bullyland one is okay, I guess, but there's something that feels... non-rigorous about the design. Other than that, I think we'd have to go all the way back to the Invicta for a truly great Lambeosaurus.

Eatmycar

I'm a Mattel/BoTM only collector but I'd totally bite for a good 1/18 (or even 1/35!) Mononykus. Before Prehistoric Planet I would've been fine with BoTM's but... that design was so good and so damn cute.

I need that design as a figure. I think MarcoMakes did one? But it's in a dead T-pose if I remember right. Oviraptor as well so another animal I want a definitive version of. The JW:Evolution one is also stupidly cute in game and I want something like that. It doesn't need to, and I'd prefer it not be the Jurassic design frankly. Just... cute.

postsaurischian

Quote from: Eatmycar on January 30, 2023, 05:40:24 AMI'm a Mattel/BoTM only collector but I'd totally bite for a good 1/18 (or even 1/35!) Mononykus. Before Prehistoric Planet I would've been fine with BoTM's but... that design was so good and so damn cute.

E @Eatmycar, there's a plushie :) :
https://www.palaeoplushies.com/leos-store/mononykus?rq=Mononykus

Sim

It's been fun going through this thread again and seeing many species listed getting made. :)

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on January 22, 2020, 01:43:37 AM
Quote from: Sim on January 20, 2020, 03:43:51 PMThe Wild Safari Rhamphorhynchus seems to sell well even though it's outdated, so I'm hoping Safari will make a new Rhamphorhynchus that's accurate.
A new and accurate Rhamphorynchus (or one of it's closest relatives) would be an excellent choice agree. It is one of the four main pterosaurs of my childhood, along with Pteranodon, Dimorphodon and Quetzalcoatlus which all have at least one decent figure unlike poor Rhamphorhynchus.
I don't remember replying to this so I'm going to do it now to say those four pterosaurs were the main ones in my childhood as well.  And yes, Rhamphorhynchus is the only one left without any good figure.

My updated list of what I'd like a definitive version of:
Rhamphorhynchus muensteri - I hope one day I will have a good figure of Rhamphorhynchus.
Dilophosaurus - For how famous this species is, it hasn't been treated very well by figure makers.  The only exceptions are the long retired versions by Dan LoRusso (Battat version 3) and Gregory Wenzel (Safari authentics).  PNSO, will you make the Dilophosaurus we need?
Herrerasaurus - This is probably the second most popular Triassic species, after Plateosaurus.  Surely someone can make a good figure of it?
Plateosaurus - It has a unique look, hands with large claws, a strong tail, is big and is known from very complete remains.  Yet no figure of it embodies all of its constituent features.  It's also currently the most requested species on this forum.
Ceratosaurus - I don't like any of the available versions.  The 2012 Wild Safari version would be satisfying to me if it didn't have feet that could kick an Allosaurus or Torvosaurus into another continent.  And it would benefit from a more muscular tail too.
Giganotosaurus - The Carnegie and PNSO are the best versions of it and set a high standard, but with Giganotosaurus's popularity I hope someone will make THE definitive version of it.
Chasmosaurus belli - It's ironic Centrosaurus got a good figure before Chasmosaurus.
Ornitholestes - A good, small one would go great with other Morrison Formation animals like Allosaurus, Stegosaurus and Diplodocus.
Utahraptor - The BotM version will be the definitive version, but it could share that position with a new one by Safari, CollectA or PNSO and I would get them both.
Kentrosaurus - None of the versions that exist I like.
Parasaurolophus walkeri - ...Yeah.
Shunosaurus - It would be great to have one that isn't botched.
Apatosaurus - In 1:40 scale.
Tyrannosaurus rex - Featherless and preferably based on Scotty, please.
Carnotaurus - The only version of it that I like is the Battat but I would like something better.

Sim

One more I'd like:

Plesiosaurus dolichodeirus - It's surprising how it doesn't have a good toy version yet!

Bowhead Whale

1- An ALLOSAURUS that looks like an Allosaurus and not a "smaller version of the Tyrannosaurus with more fingers".
2- A DIMORPHODON that does not look like a flying skeletton with bagged eyes and apparent holes in its snout.
3- A DIPLODOCUS with the actual shape of a Diplodocus, not a simply elongated version of the Apatosaurus.

Jose S.M.

I have some that have bee featured here but will share them anyway.

Shunosaurus: I don't hate the Safari one, it's just too small.

Iguanodon: I got the CollectA one and regret it. For some reason I don't like it. I have and love the look of the Safari one but is too small as well.

Dilophosaurus: shame about the bad timing for the Safari one, it's a good representation of the older reconstructions and I don't mind it being small. I actually like Safari's small and graceful theropods like the Coelophysis.

Ouranosaurus: the battat one needs replacement.

Ceratosaurus: as it was said before, the clown feet kill the look of the Safari version. It's been some time since it was released, an update would be welcomed.

TheCambrianCrusader

Besides the obvious Utahraptor, Chasmosaurus, Plateosaurus, and Herrerasaurus there's not a whole lot of dinosaur species that I'm really waiting for. Brachiosaurus is in need of a good figure that isn't just Giraffititan. But besides them and more obscure taxa, I feel like most somewhat notable dinos have figures that are perfectly fine and it usually just boils down to personal preference and minor anatomical details. Tyrannosaurus or Giganotosaurus for example are absolutely spoiled for choice for good definitive figures. Seriously at this point between pnso, botm, rebor, safari, battat and others there are so many candidates for a definitive rex.

I'm way more interested in all the other prehistoric weirdos that don't get attention. Like how are there no Tiktaalik figures out there. Or even Neanderthals, now that's a VERY recognizable species that doesn't really have any good models.

Paleo Flo

Giraffatitan
Dicraeosaurus
Wiehenvenator
Megalosaurus (despite I like the CollectA-Version & love the classic Invicta)
Archaeopteryx
Apatosaurus
Welcome to Florassic Park...my collection:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=10638.0

Sim

One more I'd like:

Cryolophosaurus - Fully feathered.

Kei

A proper Ceratosaurus would be nice  ::) One can dream.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: