News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mattel - New for 2023

Started by Faelrin, August 27, 2022, 10:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Shane on February 03, 2023, 01:59:18 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 02, 2023, 09:08:45 PMOur funds haven't grown much vs the selection we are offered.

This is the biggest takeaway to me.

There's so much new stuff, the sheer amount of things we are offered and the pace at which it comes has increased exponentially, but it's not like most people are suddenly making exponentially more money.

Exactly. It's incredibly overwhelming. 

There was a time I bought every dinosaur related thing I came across because it was so rare to find, plastic toys, soap, comics, ect.. now it's everywhere a hundred fold. There isn't much to do but limit yourself.  I collect, but often resale to keep changing things up in my collection. Only the nostalgia pieces really stick around. I'll never sell my Kenner Red Rex, but I've let go of five different Mattel ones already.

It's also not like prices haven't gone up either.  So what money you do make doesn't go as far.

I hope we've managed to explain this whole situation a bit, it's not really a collectors fault or one company entirely, it's an industry issue and it's world wide but is there really any blame to place? We  want things, they are provided but at a cost. All we can do is get what we can and skip the rest.  I'm not even sure if brand loyalty is a thing anymore?

andrewsaurus rex

star wars collectors have been facing that issue for years.  Some manage it fine, others go crazy.  :)

TheCambrianCrusader

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 03, 2023, 06:28:33 PM
Quote from: Shane on February 03, 2023, 01:59:18 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 02, 2023, 09:08:45 PMOur funds haven't grown much vs the selection we are offered.

This is the biggest takeaway to me.

There's so much new stuff, the sheer amount of things we are offered and the pace at which it comes has increased exponentially, but it's not like most people are suddenly making exponentially more money.

Exactly. It's incredibly overwhelming. 

There was a time I bought every dinosaur related thing I came across because it was so rare to find, plastic toys, soap, comics, ect.. now it's everywhere a hundred fold. There isn't much to do but limit yourself.  I collect, but often resale to keep changing things up in my collection. Only the nostalgia pieces really stick around. I'll never sell my Kenner Red Rex, but I've let go of five different Mattel ones already.

It's also not like prices haven't gone up either.  So what money you do make doesn't go as far.

I hope we've managed to explain this whole situation a bit, it's not really a collectors fault or one company entirely, it's an industry issue and it's world wide but is there really any blame to place? We  want things, they are provided but at a cost. All we can do is get what we can and skip the rest.  I'm not even sure if brand loyalty is a thing anymore?
I think brand loyalty does still exist with smaller brands. I feel like more niche brands like Safari, Collecta, PNSO, Rebor, etc rely a lot more on devoted fans than a mega corporation like Mattel does. Mattel can churn out hundreds of products under multiple different lines and not suffer any major losses. Safari or even PNSO don't have that luxury. Its pretty evident that they listen to fan input a lot more than Mattel or Hasbro ever would

Eatmycar

Mattel has my heart... to an extent.

Good product that fits my parameters (is it in the films? is it unique? is it made well)? I buy. Bad product? Nope

But I'm also not sitting here expecting every product to be worth having on my shelf. I'm baffled to see people giving things like the mediocre Dilophosaurus a few pages ago more than an ounce of their attention. Some of these are clearly just filler meant to meet a quota with a retailer they've got a contract with that literally decides if these lines live or die.

The dilo is shit, I'm moving on. It isn't a hotly awaited figure or a new genera. It's a stale genera we've seen a lot of anyway.

Gwangi

I feel pity for anyone who is a Mattel completist. That is something I NEVER strived to be, I've always just gotten the toys that appeal to me the most. A few lesser ones have snuck in there, but by-and-large I've stuck by my strict Mattel guidelines since 2018. Unless I love it, I don't need it. Even then, I've grown somewhat tired of the Mattel rat-race. Having to budget for Mattel toys and sideline the other stuff I want (because of their limited shelf life), having to visit my Walmart and Target every couple weeks or months. I've been doing this for FIVE YEARS!

Right now I'm prioritizing the Hammond Collection, but I still won't be a completist there either. I want every character from the first Jurassic Park, I don't care about the rest. If I already have the mainline version of the character then I won't get their HC counterpart. So, no HC Ellie, Hammond, the kids, etc. I have one of the Ford Explorer and one Jeep...that's enough. Do I want the new Jeep? Absolutely yes, but I don't need it. If I find it on clearance then that's another story. As for the mainline dinosaurs, I'm getting more and more picky about what I get. I recently picked up the Diabloceratops because I love Mattel's ceratopsians. But that's the only mainline toy from the current wave that I have and it might be the only one that I get. I like the Kronosaurus, but the Mosasaurus is superior so I don't need it. I like the Dryosaurus and Siamotyrannus, but how many Mattel theropods do I really need? Again, if I can get them on clearance I might, but I'm not going to pay full retail price. The onslaught of these toys is relentless and the prices are only going up, time to take a step back or two. Really soul search about what I do or do not need. Plus, you're gonna see a ton of these in thrift stores and yard sales in the coming years.

Eocarcharia

I'm very happy to have given up total Mattel JW completion, and then at-least-one-of-every-species completion, to now only getting stuff from the movies. I've sold pretty much all of my non-film Mattel collection, with just a few minor exceptions. Thanks to the Hammond Collection, I have almost no interest in the mainline anymore, except for things unlikely to be in the HC (at least anytime soon) like vehicles/accessories and non-JP human characters.

I also wait for pretty much everything to go on clearance/a decent sale price now. I suppose that's a privilege of living somewhere with (usually) well-stocked big box stores like Target.

Dyscrasia

I only have the first colossal Tyrannosaurus rex and I'm somewhat relieved that I decided against on collecting these figures although I can see their appeal. There are still a few products I would love to get down the line (i.e. HC T. rex and Dreadnoughtus, but both are insanely expensive in my country) if the opportunity arrives.

The only line I have attempted to become a completist was the Sideshow Dinosauria line (minues the repaints), but I've failed at that as I couldn't get the elusive Euoplocephalus egg maquette.

andrewsaurus rex

wow, your Sideshow collection must be worth a small fortune by now...

Eatmycar

Quote from: Gwangi on February 03, 2023, 09:21:14 PMI feel pity for anyone who is a Mattel completist. That is something I NEVER strived to be, I've always just gotten the toys that appeal to me the most. A few lesser ones have snuck in there, but by-and-large I've stuck by my strict Mattel guidelines since 2018. Unless I love it, I don't need it. Even then, I've grown somewhat tired of the Mattel rat-race. Having to budget for Mattel toys and sideline the other stuff I want (because of their limited shelf life), having to visit my Walmart and Target every couple weeks or months. I've been doing this for FIVE YEARS!

Right now I'm prioritizing the Hammond Collection, but I still won't be a completist there either. I want every character from the first Jurassic Park, I don't care about the rest. If I already have the mainline version of the character then I won't get their HC counterpart. So, no HC Ellie, Hammond, the kids, etc. I have one of the Ford Explorer and one Jeep...that's enough. Do I want the new Jeep? Absolutely yes, but I don't need it. If I find it on clearance then that's another story. As for the mainline dinosaurs, I'm getting more and more picky about what I get. I recently picked up the Diabloceratops because I love Mattel's ceratopsians. But that's the only mainline toy from the current wave that I have and it might be the only one that I get. I like the Kronosaurus, but the Mosasaurus is superior so I don't need it. I like the Dryosaurus and Siamotyrannus, but how many Mattel theropods do I really need? Again, if I can get them on clearance I might, but I'm not going to pay full retail price. The onslaught of these toys is relentless and the prices are only going up, time to take a step back or two. Really soul search about what I do or do not need. Plus, you're gonna see a ton of these in thrift stores and yard sales in the coming years.

Agreed. I kind of want the Yangchuanosaurus for instance... but I just can't *justify it*. If that figure came out in 2018 I wouldn't have balked at it, but now? With the Hammond figures here? Please.

At this point its the Hammond collection, the humans (I also collect some other 1/18 humans)/some vehicles, and the truly stand-out releases in the main line. Siamosaurus? Easy purchase. It's the closest I imagine Mattel will ever get to a quadrupedal spinosaur and it looks like the Ark one, no way was I skipping that.

But... Piatzinskisaurus? The sad Miragaia they did? Nah, I'm good. I imagine one year from now I'll find someone who is looking for a Miragaia on here because they had one in their childhood or something, but it's not for me.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: andrewsaurus rex on February 04, 2023, 04:32:08 AMwow, your Sideshow collection must be worth a small fortune by now...

Less than one might think..I have all of them myself, recently tried to sell the Spinosaurus and..no offers even yet.

andrewsaurus rex

well the Spinosaurus I can sort of see not being a big seller.  It never really was all that hot of a seller and with the new info on Spinosaurus, the sculpt is now very out of date.  But many others like the Apatosaurus, Camarasaurus/Allosaurus, Triceratops & T Rex must be worth a bundle by now.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: andrewsaurus rex on February 04, 2023, 04:18:02 PMwell the Spinosaurus I can sort of see not being a big seller.  It never really was all that hot of a seller and with the new info on Spinosaurus, the sculpt is now very out of date.  But many others like the Apatosaurus, Camarasaurus/Allosaurus, Triceratops & T Rex must be worth a bundle by now.

It was created by THE Tony Mcvey who is a master artist, out of date yes but no less in impressive in terms of art and detail. It's just too big for where I have it located lol  Actually an Asian located seller/shop on Facebook has been selling a lot of them too dropping the demand quite a bit..no idea where he has found so much stock.

EmperorDinobot

I must have them all avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi I must I muuust!

E @Eatmycar The Miragaia wasn't so bad...I just wish it was bigger.

What bothers me is the distribution, and how some animals just can't be found, like the Legacy Geosternbergia and female velociraptor.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: EmperorDinobot on February 04, 2023, 06:59:09 PMI must have them all avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi I must I muuust!

What bothers me is the distribution, and how some animals just can't be found, like the Legacy Geosternbergia and female velociraptor.

Or that darn Scutosaurus..but it looks like it might be getting reissued.

EmperorDinobot

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 05, 2023, 02:30:43 AM
Quote from: EmperorDinobot on February 04, 2023, 06:59:09 PMI must have them all avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi I must I muuust!

Oh, I have one. There's harder animals to find like the Battle Damage Proceratosaurus.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: EmperorDinobot on February 05, 2023, 11:59:51 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 05, 2023, 02:30:43 AM

Oh, I have one. There's harder animals to find like the Battle Damage Proceratosaurus.

That was rare? I think I skipped it a couple times.

EmperorDinobot

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: EmperorDinobot on February 06, 2023, 02:09:51 AMIt was not released in the US avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon .

I swear I've seen it, possibly online. I've ordered from the Japanese sites before and bought a few from Mexico. Just doesn't look that unique to me. Though I recently decided to sell my Postosuchus too, just cutting back a lot.

Faelrin

I got mine from my friend in Germany. They never had it in stores here (unless a surprisingly few did?). It was part of the wave with the Battle Damage Herrerasaurus (green), and Monolophosaurus (blue), in late 2019. There have been a dozen other Proceratosaurus toys though. I do know the BD Pteranodon (black and yellow) and Plesiosaurus eventually went up for sale a few limited times on their website, but were not carried in stores. Instead the first wave (and occasional wave 2) shelf warmed and clogged shelves, quite possibly because it was the only wave Walmart cared to carry.

Also going to mention that the first wave of the smaller figures (such as the Austroraptor, Nothosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Edaphosaurus, etc) has been apparently found in Best Buy stores from some folks. So might be worth a look. Not sure why Target and Walmart aren't already carrying them? Just the usual distribution issues I guess.

Edit: In fact have any of the new mainline figures been found in major retailers yet? I think I've heard of Target getting the new Legacy pack and some of the HC figures, but like nothing else?
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Blade-of-the-Moon

It took awhile but I found a lot of the Tanystropheus and really boxes of that entire wave slated for retail that ended up at a wholesale/retail auction house. I expect either TARGET or Walmart just dumped and sold it off.

I have that wave preordered from EE.com thankfully, I'm not often near a Best Buy to search them and the few times I have been they had little. Walmart is getting ready for Spring so it might be a month or two before we see them stock anything new.

Target had some of the new Trackers, the white stegosaurus, Siamosaurus, and the Roarivore type figures. They are really behind on the new HC figures, even with preorders, I haven't heard anything about the Ankylosaurus or Pachycephalosaurus yet.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: