News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mattel - New for 2023

Started by Faelrin, August 27, 2022, 10:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwangi

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 13, 2023, 03:14:27 PMI'm to agree and just say yeah I feel like I should be more impressed but I just sort of burned out on these Rexes. I expected a  new sculpt at least, I don't know why I did..but I did.  I might feel different in store especially if it comes in retro Kenner packaging. Might be one to get and leave in the box.  At this point I think I'd just like a novel based line from them which is basically what Kenner was working with.

If they do a retro style Kenner box then that might be enough to persuade me. I'm not an in-box collector but I might make an exception for something like that.

JPuggy

Quote from: Lynx on February 13, 2023, 03:20:05 PMWould it be possible for Mattel to ever make an Ultimasaurus, considering Kenner never actually released it? Or would they get a lawsuit for that?

I feel like they could get away with it, and if it did release that would be an instant buy from me

EmperorDinobot

To be honest with y'all, I would have preferred a HC T.rex painted in these colors rather than another retool of the same tired mold.

Pachyrhinosaurus

It's great to see such influence from the original Kenner line. If only they'd have given its feet the same proportions as the original. Also, it's a nitpick, but the original red rex had a green underside, not yellow. Not a fan of the pull-out/open door codes, either. Why couldn't they have kept them on the feet? Not sure if I'll  get this one or not since I have both the original red rex and the HC rex.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Eatmycar

Keep in mind colors in these renders are *always* off.'

This is close, but not correct.

Paleo Flo

I'll stay with my original red Rex. But it's a fine release. I'm looking forward for more 30th anniversary-items.
Welcome to Florassic Park...my collection:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=10638.0

EmperorDinobot

oh

my

god...

yes they are real

i want the car

Roselaar

Lynx

MATTEL YOU'VE DONE IT, YOU'VE BLOODY DONE IT MATTEL
Possibly the best releases since the 2019/2020 Mattel lines, I am plain amazed. Never did I think Mattel could get this close to perfection. They've done it. The packaging, the colors, the accessories, these last few 'mediocre' releases have been more than made up for. I can't even find words to express it. Wow.
An oversized house cat.

Gwangi

I'm at a loss for words. Feel a little bit like Grant and friends when they first see the Brachiosaurus. I want them all. But realistically the only one I NEED is the Track and Explore set (because of the Scutosaurus). I'm going to be hard pressed to turn down that rex now with packaging like that. The humans are tempting but I think I can show restraint there.

Shane

This is...neat, but I gotta say I don't have much nostalgia for the human figures in the old Kenner line. I never collected them, I was only interested in the dinosaurs, and the human figures looked nothing like the actors.

(Showing my age a bit as someone who rabidly collected the Kenner dinos back in '93)

But to each their own, and I think it's a clever move on Mattel's part.

I'd just rather see some tiger striped raptors if we're gonna go full '93.

Pliosaurking

Man this has so much potential! I never grew up with the Kenner line and unfortunately I only have one figure from the entire line, so I don't have much nostalgia from it. But I have always loved the line, and I will definitely be getting these! They look great!

Paleo Flo

Wow! Nice! Now I am the kid from 1993 again!
Welcome to Florassic Park...my collection:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=10638.0

Flaffy

While I have zero nostalgia for any of these (wasn't born yet), the JP01 Dilophosaurus was my first Kenner Jurassic Park toy, so I'm inclined to pick up the Ian Malcom set just for that.

The rest are cool homages too. Another Gallimimus never hurts, a new one to the flock.

It's a shame Mattel is skimping on the paint again even with such an event. Tail paint is basically nonexistant again, and the Scutosaurus lost a lot of vibrance from its original colour scheme. Though if they're willing to bring back the Scutosaurus in it's classic colours, this makes me incredibly hopeful for a Mattel Estemmenosuchus and Ornithosuchus.

Pachyrhinosaurus

Now this is great. I don't take back what I said about the rex, but it looks much better here than the white background stock photos. Not only will I finally be able to get the scutosaurus at a reasonable price, but it'll look even closer to the unreleased Kenner figure. I'll admit I'm not as thrilled about the human figures (I never really liked the oversized weapons), but I'll still pick them up for the dinosaurs. The dilophosaurus looks like a new sculpt, and from what I can tell is better than the existing mainline dilophosaurus. Nice to see that gallimimus mold is back, too. I was hoping for a film-accurate baby triceratops but what we're getting looks like it fits in more with the 1993 look. The boxart looks great, too, better than anything Mattel has come up with so far.
Save Dinoland USA!

Flaffy

Really wish they didn't just recycle the same Rex sculpt for the millionth time for this special release. Even Kenner had 3 distinct Rex sculpts in their mainline. As the base sculpt is based on the Jurassic World design, the Tyrannosaurus ended up being considerably thinner than it's original JP appearance. Marco made a good edit of how it's proportions should've been, along with proper feet size as well ofc.

The real-feel red rex is just a hair underwhelming to me. :-\ Not to mention the dumb DNA flap that unecessarily breaks up the sculpt.

PrimevalRaptor

Hope they make it outside of the US,not too big on vehicles and stuff but a better chance at the Scutosaurus would be neat, the Gallimimus is nice and FINALLY a great Dilophosaurus sculpt.

Pachyrhinosaurus

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy To be fair, the original red rex was thinner than the rex we see in the film, but I agree a new sculpt would have been ideal. Agreed on the code flap. They're needlessly distracting and take away from the toy. The foot decals were less obtrusive and serve the same purpose. Not to mention that the app could be gone someday, rendering the code useless in the future.
Save Dinoland USA!

Gwangi

I think the code flap is deliberately designed that way to look like the battle damage wounds on the old Kenner toys. 

Carnoking

Yeah that all looks pretty awesome! ;D

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: