News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

2023 forum banner

Started by Sim, February 15, 2023, 10:42:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Concavenator

Are we gonna ignore the fact that not a single Eofauna figure has ever been featured on any of our banners?  ::)

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Concavenator on February 19, 2023, 12:46:55 AMAre we gonna ignore the fact that not a single Eofauna figure has ever been featured on any of our banners?  ::)
You are right. I guess the diplodocus can be shown, but he is a long fellow.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Concavenator on February 19, 2023, 12:46:55 AMAre we gonna ignore the fact that not a single Eofauna figure has ever been featured on any of our banners?  ::)

Maybe next time. I tend to focus on the major players with the most expansive lines.

ceratopsian

Just looked at the banner properly on my desktop. I like it!  The time was right for a change of beasts. The Ruyangosaurus looks majestic!

Concavenator

Quote from: DinoToyForum on February 19, 2023, 11:26:24 AM

Maybe next time. I tend to focus on the major players with the most expansive lines.

If we're comparing, I'm not sure Wild Past, which is also represented, is more "major and expansive" than Eofauna, but ok. I simply thought it would make sense to have such an (apparently) relevant company represented instead of one of the 3 Mattel figures or one of the 6 CollectA figures (one of which recycled from the previous banner!)...

Likewise I think it would also have been interesting to have Haolonggood, TNG or a Rebor like their new Tyrannosaurus or Deinosuchus represented instead of so Many Mattel and CollectA stuff. I'd say the ideal forum banner in a collectors' forum like this would try to cover as much as possible the companies that forum fellow collectors collect, and in addition in this case, have the highest possible phylogenetic diversity represented too. The more heterogeneity and diversity, the more likely the bigger number of people is going to be pleased. I also miss when we used to vote for the banner...

But hey, at least we got a new banner up after 3 years!  :D That's something.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Concavenator on February 19, 2023, 02:20:09 PM
Quote from: DinoToyForum on February 19, 2023, 11:26:24 AM

If we're comparing, I'm not sure Wild Past, which is also represented, is more "major and expansive" than Eofauna, but ok. I simply thought it would make sense to have such an (apparently) relevant company represented instead of one of the 3 Mattel figures or one of the 6 CollectA figures (one of which recycled from the previous banner!)...

Likewise I think it would also have been interesting to have Haolonggood, TNG or a Rebor like their new Tyrannosaurus or Deinosuchus represented instead of so Many Mattel and CollectA stuff. I'd say the ideal forum banner in a collectors' forum like this would try to cover as much as possible the companies that forum fellow collectors collect, and in addition in this case, have the highest possible phylogenetic diversity represented too. The more heterogeneity and diversity, the more likely the bigger number of people is going to be pleased. I also miss when we used to vote for the banner...

But hey, at least we got a new banner up after 3 years!  :D That's something.

I said "tend". Sometimes I pick a figure simply because it fits a space nicely. Or because someone suggested it before I made the banner – nobody suggested any of those you mention. Or because it is a swimming or flying creature that works well at the top of the banner. Or because it is a small animal that works well at a small scale beneath larger animals. I realise it will never, ever, please everybody, nothing creative ever does.

postsaurischian

Quote from: DinoToyForum on February 19, 2023, 02:50:50 PMI said "tend". Sometimes I pick a figure simply because it fits a space nicely. .......

Room layout is one of the most, if not the most important criterion in visual art :) .

Libraraptor

What a cool new banner!

Over9K

IMO, the forum's top voted figure, or even the top 3, should automatically be included in the next year's banner, ie; '23 banner should maybe feature '22's top 3; EoFauna's Diplodocus, EF's Konobelodon and REBOR's Kiss.

But that's just me.

Over9K

Eatmycar

Quote from: Over9K on February 22, 2023, 01:19:37 AMIMO, the forum's top voted figure, or even the top 3, should automatically be included in the next year's banner, ie; '23 banner should maybe feature '22's top 3; EoFauna's Diplodocus, EF's Konobelodon and REBOR's Kiss.

But that's just me.

Absolutely agree with this!

Concavenator

If we're getting a new banner for next year as well, I think it would be a good idea to hold off on it until the middle part of the year, around June or so. As to why, it's because most companies have changed their new products announcement schedule, so as you know by now instead of we seeing next year's releases at the end of a year, we're seeing them randomly announced throughout the following year. This causes that at the beginning of a new year, we don't have many/any options to include a new (for that year) figure on the banner, since the time for announcements being made is little. If we wait till June or so, we can ensure there's a representative amount of figures released that we can actually debate which figures we want to see on the banner and not just pick the first figure we see announced (if any announcements are made so early on, that is).

Halichoeres

I actually like that this banner was just quickly put together and launched, without a lot of debate or deliberation. I don't know if everything needs to be put to a vote. As for figures that are released later in 2023, they can easily be included in a 2024 banner.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Concavenator

I mean, we went for about 3 years with the same banner, so the fact that this new banner went up is by itself sort of an achievement. But only including 2023 figures (and/or from previous years) in a banner for 2024 kills the meaning for it in my opinion. Even if we waited just a little there wouldn't be a lot of options for 2024 figures either, considering the current panorama. That's why I think that waiting at around June/July or thereabouts would be a good idea.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.