News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Recent Acquisitions

Started by DinoToyForum, July 28, 2018, 12:17:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PrimevalRaptor

Randomly stumbled upon the new Herrerasaurus from Mattel, may honestly be one of their best sculpts. It's not a flawless representation of the species (but it IS a JP toy I suppose) but it's quite an upgrade from their first version (except for the digits), the sculpt and texture are amazing, the coloration is really good imo and honestly especially with the lips it looks pretty damn naturalistic.

Fembrogon

Another AAA arrival; I've been tempted by the Dilophosaurus before but I actually bit the bullet this time. It's quite the contrast to the other AAA figures I acquired.

SidB

Plant material rarely makes an appearance on this thread, at least as front stage center items, but here's an exception. Of course, we know that Safari, CollectA, Schleich and Marx have made plnts in the past, the distant past in the case of the latter. I've picked up some non-PVC trees in ceramic that I think will be cool in my dioramas of Cenzoic and Mesozoic life:

That one was a Value Village thrift shop pick-up; the one below is from Michaels:

This formidable palm was another Value Village acquisition. I believe that this was originally destined for an aquarium or terrarium:

Finally, from VV again, two of three autumnal trees behind the Safari Patagotitan:

CityRaptor

Need to post here more often. Got some hauls from months ago. :))

First up is Pierce! Also got Mystery Mini Blue! ( those seem to be sold out everyhwere for normal retail prices now ). Also pictured is the Micro Collection Atrociraptor.

Speaking of Micro Collection Ankylosaurus, Triceratops, Pyroraptor, Therizinosaurus, Giganotosaurus. Saw these at a Tedi store. Originally I only wanted the Theri and Pyro, but at 2 Euros a piece, as opposed to the ridicolous internet prices, I decided to take them all. Atrociraptor was part of the same haul, but the bubble of the packaging came off just before the picture was taken, so I put it with Blue and Pierce. Also happened to the Anklyosaurus just after the pic was taken.

And finally, I got Mesozoic Art for Christmas. Yep, those hauls are that old.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

EmperorDinobot

Those plants are great S @SidB

SidB

Quote from: EmperorDinobot on February 19, 2023, 12:39:33 AMThose plants are great S @SidB
Thanks, avatar_EmperorDinobot @EmperorDinobot , it's fun to find very usable items like these in unexpected places. The detailing is quite decent and they will work well in various dioramas. Maybe I need to do a new thread with them at some point. Not just yet, though!

EmperorDinobot

Quote from: SidB on February 19, 2023, 03:52:11 AM
Quote from: EmperorDinobot on February 19, 2023, 12:39:33 AMThose plants are great S @SidB
Thanks, avatar_EmperorDinobot @EmperorDinobot , it's fun to find very usable items like these in unexpected places. The detailing is quite decent and they will work well in various dioramas. Maybe I need to do a new thread with them at some point. Not just yet, though!

There's one already, and I made one in dioramas. Maybe we could ask someone to merge them? It's been a wealth of info for me. I now have an idea on how Jurassic Park will look. I found out that Target also has random shrubbery near the entrance.

SidB

It seems that I've been a bit occupied lately with searching for and acquiring proboscidians of one sort or another (more about that later). At any rate, here is the latest batch for me to share with you. The four 1/60-1/66 scale figures are the two classic Invictas, one factory painted and the other bichromatic. I removed the paint crudely slapped on previously), restoring it to its original appearance. They are good pieces - as others have said, it's hard to mess up a Wooly Mammoth! The orange figure is a Funrise and the green, slightly smaller than the others, a MPC, I'm assuming:

It's a privilege and a treat to have been able to get hold of these figures, memories from the past of the hobby and the precursors of the splendid successors that now adorn our collections. Once again, I'm indebted to the Value Village thrift chain for these , but any prehistorics of any description, except cheaposaurs, are now becoming very rare, with fewer and fewer available each year.

ceratopsian

Value Village sounds like a great resource S @SidB!

SidB

Quote from: ceratopsian on February 20, 2023, 09:26:12 AMValue Village sounds like a great resource S @SidB!
avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian, it certainly has been over the past 14-15 years, though very much less so in the past couple, unfortunately. I've noticed that the number of donations (where all the good stuff comes from) on the toy shelves has sharply plummeted, being replaced by bags of the cheapest of the cheap junk from goodness knows where. Prices have practically doubled and there have been accusations of them snapping up stuff from other discount outlets and boosting the price. The number of stores in our area (Greater Toronto Area) has tripled or quadrupled, as thrift has become big business, and I think that the very rapid expansion has diluted the aforementioned quality, at least in the toy department.

I used to be able to walk into any VV and have a 50-50 chance of picking up an Invicta, Schleich, Safari, Carnegie, or even a Papo or Battat. That's totally in the past. Even oldies such as AAA, UKRD, Marx, MPC, etc. are pretty much a thing of the past. Then, I suppose that collectors, like myself have grabbed all that has been available. It got to the point that I had doubles and triples of most of the more common stuff, virtually all of these extras which I have ended up giving away to local daycares or the children of my friends. But that's ended as the supply has dried up - inevitable, I suppose.

ceratopsian

Ah well - at least you were able to take advantage while the supply was good S @SidB. I can't imagine ever having picked up Invictas or Battats off a shelf where I live!

SidB

Quote from: ceratopsian on February 20, 2023, 05:09:14 PMAh well - at least you were able to take advantage while the supply was good S @SidB. I can't imagine ever having picked up Invictas or Battats off a shelf where I live!
Right, clearly I have been spoiled!

Libraraptor

Wow, that Funrise mammoth is a great one among the others all of which I luckily own, too.

SidB

Quote from: Libraraptor on February 20, 2023, 08:50:37 PMWow, that Funrise mammoth is a great one among the others all of which I luckily own, too.
I think that it is my one and only Funrise figure, presently, though I've had a couple of others in the past.

Kei

Well this one is an unusual purchase from me, but how could you resist this stinkin' cute little guy

As far as I know, this is from a Chinese brand called "Round Animal Studio"

SidB

I quite agree - irresistible.

ceratopsian

That really is remarkably cute! I don't generally in life go for cute - but cute baby dinosaurs seem always to pull me in.

Cretaceous Crab

Quote from: Kei on February 22, 2023, 01:44:25 PMWell this one is an unusual purchase from me, but how could you resist this stinkin' cute little guy

As far as I know, this is from a Chinese brand called "Round Animal Studio"

It's like PNSO made Snap Squad.

ceratopsian

Where did you find it avatar_Kei @Kei, if you don't mind my asking - I'm curious?!

Kei

avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian I got it from a local supplier where I live - but he told me there are plenty more on Aliexpress - all you have to search for is "Round Animal Studio Dinosaur" and they should pop up  :D

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: