News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Forum changes

Started by DinoToyForum, March 13, 2012, 02:26:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynx

There's no need to apologize! It's fine, I was just confused by the change
An oversized house cat.

Faelrin

If I'm being utmost honest, I find this sudden layout repositioning kind of jarring. I was just getting used to everything on the left side, but again I'm autistic and it is harder for folks like me to adjust to sudden changes. I think it's also harder on my bad eye as well (as far as the position of the recent topics goes), or at least feels that way so far, like I have to strain my eyes more to read things.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Pachyrhinosaurus

I agree, I'm not the biggest fan of the repositioning, either. I prefer having sidebars on both sides, myself, but in any case I'll get used to it.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

ceratopsian

Kapitaenosavrvs

Helo. I hope this is the right place for my Comment. Just a thought i had while looking at my own behavior.
I loved the "like" function a lot when it was introduced. It is possible to react positive on someones Post or Comment or whatnot. This is great for People that are a socially afraid. But here is my Problem. It is too "easy" for me now to react in a silent way without the Interaction. I saw myself almost completely stopping on commenting somewhere, because i could just give a like. This was a problem then for me. Because i felt that i am not the only one that stopped actual commenting on small threads and big Threads. Just a feeling.

Also, this is no "Please make it go away". It was just a thought i felt i wanted to share right now. Because i did not like my new, silent lurking in a place that only lives from interaction, not only reacting.

SidB

Quote from: Kapitaenosavrvs on February 24, 2023, 09:09:57 PMHelo. I hope this is the right place for my Comment. Just a thought i had while looking at my own behavior.
I loved the "like" function a lot when it was introduced. It is possible to react positive on someones Post or Comment or whatnot. This is great for People that are a socially afraid. But here is my Problem. It is too "easy" for me now to react in a silent way without the Interaction. I saw myself almost completely stopping on commenting somewhere, because i could just give a like. This was a problem then for me. Because i felt that i am not the only one that stopped actual commenting on small threads and big Threads. Just a feeling.

Also, this is no "Please make it go away". It was just a thought i felt i wanted to share right now. Because i did not like my new, silent lurking in a place that only lives from interaction, not only reacting.
Myself, I'm finding that I'm commenting as much as usual, if not more, but am using the like function a lot too. So, for me it's not a matter of either/ or, rather both/and. I'm all in favor of the 'like' function, in other words.

Kapitaenosavrvs

Quote from: SidB on February 24, 2023, 10:00:40 PMMyself, I'm finding that I'm commenting as much as usual, if not more, but am using the like function a lot too. So, for me it's not a matter of either/ or, rather both/and. I'm all in favor of the 'like' function, in other words.

Now that is great to hear!

SidB

Quote from: Kapitaenosavrvs on February 24, 2023, 11:26:56 PM
Quote from: SidB on February 24, 2023, 10:00:40 PMMyself, I'm finding that I'm commenting as much as usual, if not more, but am using the like function a lot too. So, for me it's not a matter of either/ or, rather both/and. I'm all in favor of the 'like' function, in other words.

Now that is great to hear!
Maybe you'll find that you eventually evolve your usage in that direction too, avatar_Kapitaenosavrvs @Kapitaenosavrvs ?!

DinoToyForum

I would be happy to remove the like button if, on balance, it's deemed detrimental to the way we interact here. I'm not precious about it. But I think, probably, most people, ahem, "like" the ability to give a post approval without having to give it much thought. Maybe a percentage of users, like avatar_Kapitaenosavrvs @Kapitaenosavrvs, sometimes use it as a replacement for a brief reply they might otherwise have made. But I think if someone has something substantial to say, they won't settle for the 'like' button instead, so it probably isn't too detrimental. Eyeballing the forum's stats page, the number of new posts per month since introducing the like button seems to be about the same.

suspsy

I like the like button. I think it's good to affirm support for opinions.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Eatmycar

I haven't been here long, so take my two cents for what they're worth. I don't mind the like button. I just wouldn't want to see a dislike button. I think that would be pretty passive aggressive though.

postsaurischian

I don't like the like button. In "social media" it has become kind of a measure of value, kind of a new currency.
 The DTF has always been exceptional and different. But maybe I'm just too old for that kind of sh..  :-[ , I mean stuff.

Halichoeres

Quote from: suspsy on February 25, 2023, 02:12:14 AMI like the like button. I think it's good to affirm support for opinions.

This is actually one reason I'm opposed to the like button. I think it creates an incentive to treat every conversation like a competition, which will tend to make interactions more adversarial and contentious on average.

Also, for frequent posters, it makes the alerts tab useless:
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

ceratopsian

The grab of your Alerts is instructive, avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres.  I hadn't thought of that aspect at all.  That will give me pause for thought in future before liking any of your posts!

Stegotyranno420

Perhaps there should be a vote?

Gwangi

Quote from: Halichoeres on February 25, 2023, 05:38:03 PM
Quote from: suspsy on February 25, 2023, 02:12:14 AMI like the like button. I think it's good to affirm support for opinions.

This is actually one reason I'm opposed to the like button. I think it creates an incentive to treat every conversation like a competition, which will tend to make interactions more adversarial and contentious on average.

Also, for frequent posters, it makes the alerts tab useless:

Well, it looks like you need to stop posting such likeable content.  ;D

Kidding, of course, but knowing that you don't like the feature I deliberately do not "like" your posts.

As for my opinion on the matter. I like the button in that I don't always have something meaningful to say but still want a poster to know that I like what they had to say. And in doing so it maybe replaces the need for simple posts like "I agree with the above" or whatever. I do not substitute the like button for meaningful conversation. I can see the cons of the feature as well and ultimately I'm mostly indifferent about it. I don't care that it's there and wouldn't miss it if it were gone.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Gwangi on February 25, 2023, 06:27:51 PMI'm mostly indifferent about it. I don't care that it's there and wouldn't miss it if it were gone.

Same.

bmathison1972

I don't see an adversarial connection to the 'like' button, but I also haven't been on social media since 2011. There are a couple good reasons to have such a button; one was spelled out nicely by avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi above. Another is that it could be easier and more comfortable for whom English isn't their native language and who might otherwise not feel comfortable writing a response.

That being said, also like Gwangi, I wouldn't miss it if it disappeared.

Fembrogon

I wouldn't miss the like button, either, but as previously mentioned I appreciate its presence for when I want to affirm a particular idea or comment even if I'm lacking words to expound on it.

Interestingly, I think having the "like" button around has also encouraged me to be a little MORE thoughtful about what and when I post. If I'm compelled to press "like", can I elaborate and contribute to the discussion more meaningfully as well?
That's how I personally have approached it, though. I fully understand why others would be opposed to it, given experience elsewhere online.

Gwangi

I should also mention that there are many instances where people don't leave a comment and the like button at least lets you know that your content was read and appreciated. Case in point, I've been trying to revive the nature photography thread. I posted 3 separate batches of pictures with nary any response. But, my posts have gotten a few likes, which means people are at least looking at the thread. Without that kind of confirmation that people are there I would have likely given up on the thread altogether, thinking it was a waste of time and effort.

Similarly, Blaine posts his daily museum posts on the ATF. I look at them every day and make sure to click like so he knows that his efforts are appreciated and that someone is interested in his content. I also comment, when I have something to say, but usually I literally just like the post so I just use the like button.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: