News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mattel - New for 2023

Started by Faelrin, August 27, 2022, 10:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

With Walmart who knows..they could decide not to carry it at all. It's impossible to figure them given their track record.

MLMjp

CityRaptor

Are we supposed to see something?

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 26, 2023, 04:39:55 AMWith Walmart who knows..they could decide not to carry it at all. It's impossible to figure them given their track record.

Walmart seems to be rather fickle to deal with.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: CityRaptor on February 26, 2023, 03:45:17 PMAre we supposed to see something?

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 26, 2023, 04:39:55 AMWith Walmart who knows..they could decide not to carry it at all. It's impossible to figure them given their track record.

Walmart seems to be rather fickle to deal with.

They really are, they keep so much old stock, don't clearance items out, and will get new stock last if at all.  That's how a lot of the battle damage line which is supposed to be a walmart exclusive ended up in other countries but never here. You can't ever tell what they are doing but they don't follow plans that's for sure.

andrewsaurus rex

the explorer isn't as nice in the epic attack set.  The t rex escape explorer is nicer.  sigh.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: andrewsaurus rex on February 26, 2023, 05:56:09 PMthe explorer isn't as nice in the epic attack set.  The t rex escape explorer is nicer.  sigh.

I can't tell a lot of difference. I just like the idea of having a damaged explorer to pose with my Rex without breaking out the heat gun and tools to trash one.

andrewsaurus rex

the red on the roof appears to be a darker shade and there are no lime green paint accents on it.  Makes it look far more toy like.....compare the two side by side and you'll see Mattel cheaped out on this one.    As far as damage, the only damage i'm aware of on this release is that the hood breaks in half.  Which did not happen at all in the movie.  A major dent in the door, a squished roof, chewable tires (by rex), a smashed sunroof......those would have been useful damage features.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: andrewsaurus rex on February 26, 2023, 06:39:23 PMthe red on the roof appears to be a darker shade and there are no lime green paint accents on it.  Makes it look far more toy like.....compare the two side by side and you'll see Mattel cheaped out on this one.    As far as damage, the only damage i'm aware of on this release is that the hood breaks in half.  Which did not happen at all in the movie.  A major dent in the door, a squished roof, chewable tires (by rex), a smashed sunroof......those would have been useful damage features.

The roof does collapse.

Paint apps aside, I think it's fine.  You can't just blame Mattel, Walmart is probably only paying 5.00 for this if that much.  If I ever do one myself it will take a lot more time and maybe money ( paint and brushes ) to do it right. I also like the nostalgia of the old Kenner comparison one.

Eatmycar

Quote from: andrewsaurus rex on February 26, 2023, 06:39:23 PMthe red on the roof appears to be a darker shade and there are no lime green paint accents on it.  Makes it look far more toy like.....compare the two side by side and you'll see Mattel cheaped out on this one.    As far as damage, the only damage i'm aware of on this release is that the hood breaks in half.  Which did not happen at all in the movie.  A major dent in the door, a squished roof, chewable tires (by rex), a smashed sunroof......those would have been useful damage features.

The hood damage is from the old Kenner one, that's absolutely a retro homage and for me the ticket of admission alone. The car I never had without the derpy cannon? Lets go!

The rest, really? They're not going to put that much money into building such a unique vehicle. I imagine the one that came with Tim (and the T. rex) got more attention to it because the whole set cost more to produce.They have to cut costs somewhere, sadly. And no, the raptor can't go because unfortunately vehicles just shelf warm without dinosaurs.

andrewsaurus rex

i see, I guess that explains things a bit..  I also just noticed there's no clear plastic in any of the windows except the windshield.    There's no nostalgia factor for me with Kenner stuff, so i'll be giving this one a pass.

Edit:  actually, now that i think about it, i could flip this one over, fill it with fake mud and put Tim and Lex in it that would solve most of the problems i have with it.  However, i bet the underside has almost no detail......nothing for Rex to chomp on.

Nyrorosaurus

Hammond Collection Irritator

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Jurassic-World-Hammond-Collection-Dinosaur-Figure-Irritator/2679656872
Edit: credit to Andy for reporting in this video:

Dynomikegojira

Wow didn't see that coming that Irritator is fantastic.

Stegotyranno420

That irritator is almost BOTM level mattels absolute best
avatar_Nyrorosaurus @Nyrorosaurus I recognize that guy in the video at 6:54 ;)

Faelrin

It's very nice, but kind of perplexed on its inclusion in a line like this when it's not been in any of the films, and those species should take precedence. I'll add it to the op, and guess to the DTC as well. In any case guess I might pick this one up later.

Edit: Come to think of it, it almost looks like the old JPIII GBA park builder one:

Edit 2: Here's a quick ai upscale done with waifu2x. Might help give a better idea:

Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

MLMjp

Yeah, great figure, but again, what is this doing in the Hammond Collection? At least the Concavenator was based on something from the films.

Flaffy

Quote from: Faelrin on February 26, 2023, 11:28:51 PMIt's very nice, but kind of perplexed on its inclusion in a line like this when it's not been in any of the films, and those species should take precedence. I'll add it to the op, and guess to the DTC as well. In any case guess I might pick this one up later.

Edit: Come to think of it, it almost looks like the old JPIII GBA park builder one:

Likewise. Very perplexed of it's inclusion in a movie line. Regardless, this is the quality we SHOULD be expecting from the mainline. Good call on the JPIII GBA park builder homage avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin , I wouldn't have caught such an obscure reference otherwise.

Now I'm debating if I should bother getting the upcoming orange mainline Irritator... Since it actually has a signature spinosaurid notch. Another part of me is wondering why Irritator of all things got 3 distinct sculpts...? Must've been some Mattel employee's favourite dinosaur.

Pliosaurking

Film or not, that is irrelevant to me if this is what the results are, it's gorgeous! Definitely getting this one over the other Irritator, which I thought was a fairly decent figure but this is way better!

Eatmycar

I don't remember them ever explicitly limiting HC to film designs, did they?

What a weird, well done, addition. Can't imagine this animal will be in BoTM any time... ever? so I don't mind.

Lynx

ehhh
I really, really don't like it
An oversized house cat.

Carnoking

Definitely no point in the re-release now

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: