News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mattel - New for 2023

Started by Faelrin, August 27, 2022, 10:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faelrin

Yeah it is pretty weird that it's had three distinct sculpts, and two in the same year. I think I'm definitely gonna go for this one though. It looks so nice, although wish it had the head sculpt of the mainline remake, or at least a more paleo accurate notched jaw.

Curious if this will be revealed in a Beyond the Gates video. Would like to know for sure if that game was the inspiration (since that game was one of the few things I have fond memories of from my childhood) or something else. A lot of other folks on instagram also seem to think that's the case too though, so least it isn't just me.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Lynx

Quote from: Lynx on February 27, 2023, 12:18:23 AMehhh
I really, really don't like it

Never mind what I just said, I passionately don't like this thing.
An oversized house cat.

Carnoking

What's weird is that it's showing up on Walmart? Have they ever carried the Hammond Collection?

Flaffy

Quote from: Faelrin on February 27, 2023, 12:21:47 AMYeah it is pretty weird that it's had three distinct sculpts, and two in the same year. I think I'm definitely gonna go for this one though. It looks so nice, although wish it had the head sculpt of the mainline remake, or at least a more paleo accurate notched jaw.

Curious if this will be revealed in a Beyond the Gates video. Would like to know for sure if that game was the inspiration (since that game was one of the few things I have fond memories of from my childhood) or something else. A lot of other folks on instagram also seem to think that's the case too though, so least it isn't just me.

I'm curious, do you plan to pick up the orange mainline re-release as well? Seems kinda redunant now with the HC version coming along.

The HC version has the nicer overall headsculpt I feel without the goofy buck teeth, but lacks in the notch department. While the mainline version has far superior arms and claws (spindly digits and puny claws on a spinosaurid ??? ), the over-exaggerated paddletail is a "you either love it or hate it" situation.

Faelrin

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy I wasn't intending on it honestly, though I'm fine with the sculpt. The colors on the other hand don't quite appeal to me, but it might be better in the in package or in hand pics.

avatar_Carnoking @Carnoking Third party sellers do on their website, but not directly, so no idea why this is on their website already. Not even for sale yet (least that I can see).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Pliosaurking

avatar_Carnoking @Carnoking they do where I live, as I don't have target. ToysRus also carries them. I've personally only seen the Rex and Parasaurolophus.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I think, given how fragmentary this dinosaur is and how this is a JP/JW toy line it's not bad at all.

BoneHead98

As someone who only cared about this because of the rumors it'd be the Jurassic World website Baryonyx, color me pleasantly surprised.

Might have to pick this up. The lack of the main line's tail fin and notch is a bummer but otherwise, digging this.

Flaffy

I wonder why we haven't seen the Nigersaurus yet. Its wave-mates were all revealed a while back so... :-\

I hope it didn't get silently cancelled. Mattel's certainly done it before.

Fembrogon

Mattel makes some baffling decisions, don't they?
I do admit, though, I'll be tempted to get this one. I'm mostly weaned off of Mattel and JW already, but the HC Irritator (for whatever reasons) looks like it'll be one of the best-executed dinos Mattel has done in a while.

EmperorDinobot

Is that...is that based off of...the one in...

I want uh... I call dibs. For a review.

Blade-of-the-Moon

interesting seeing them all side by side

ItsTwentyBelow

What?! WoW! The HC Irritator is an awesome surprise!

I'm a little mixed because I really liked the new sculpt for the mainline version of Irritator, but if it is between the two I will only have space for one, and the HC version will get my pick. I just wish it had the maxillary notch but that can be overlooked. What an excellent figure. Glad I don't have the old one because if that were the case I would not be as excited.

I don't understand how Irritator not being a film species generates any kind of negativity. If the HC had been intended just for that, and I don't think it specifically was (more of a deluxe line that they thought to make 3 and 3/4 inch and therefore nicely compatible with everything else), then we'd quickly run out of new species for Mattel to release. I think padding the Hammond Collection with extra non-film creatures adds some diversity and longevity to the series that could be kept up for years. That's my take at least.

I'm sure we will get a HC Carnotaurus, tiger-striped raptor, and a Spinosaurus, just to name a few, in due time. Heck I bet they release the Baryonyx squad from CC eventually, since they have the HC sculpt locked in already. Maybe even in some big 3-pack with a HC Sammy or something.

The Hammond Collection is so exciting to me. I can't wait to find the JP III Grant/Raptor set.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: ItsTwentyBelow on February 27, 2023, 06:34:40 AMWhat?! WoW! The HC Irritator is an awesome surprise!

I'm a little mixed because I really liked the new sculpt for the mainline version of Irritator, but if it is between the two I will only have space for one, and the HC version will get my pick. I just wish it had the maxillary notch but that can be overlooked. What an excellent figure. Glad I don't have the old one because if that were the case I would not be as excited.

I don't understand how Irritator not being a film species generates any kind of negativity. If the HC had been intended just for that, and I don't think it specifically was (more of a deluxe line that they thought to make 3 and 3/4 inch and therefore nicely compatible with everything else), then we'd quickly run out of new species for Mattel to release. I think padding the Hammond Collection with extra non-film creatures adds some diversity and longevity to the series that could be kept up for years. That's my take at least.

I'm sure we will get a HC Carnotaurus, tiger-striped raptor, and a Spinosaurus, just to name a few, in due time. Heck I bet they release the Baryonyx squad from CC eventually, since they have the HC sculpt locked in already. Maybe even in some big 3-pack with a HC Sammy or something.

The Hammond Collection is so exciting to me. I can't wait to find the JP III Grant/Raptor set.

I sold my old recently, thankfully it will pay for the mainline version and HC version and then some.. had no idea it was so rare.

I think they just want all the film species first or to not have to buy as much if they are completists ?

Figured we would have the Carno this year to be honest.  While I would love more CC toys i have a feeling thats done unless we get another series?

PrimevalRaptor

For a JP figure this is pretty damn good and I won't lie, the JPIII Park Builder color scheme is both really neat looking and a pretty good selling point, hoping to see this one here down the line.

Flaffy

Quote from: ItsTwentyBelow on February 27, 2023, 06:34:40 AMI don't understand how Irritator not being a film species generates any kind of negativity. If the HC had been intended just for that, and I don't think it specifically was (more of a deluxe line that they thought to make 3 and 3/4 inch and therefore nicely compatible with everything else), then we'd quickly run out of new species for Mattel to release. I think padding the Hammond Collection with extra non-film creatures adds some diversity and longevity to the series that could be kept up for years. That's my take at least.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect Mattel to priorities species with film appearances rather than pump out more "filler" species (a purpose the mainline fills perfectly well). Things like the Irritator, Metriacanthosaurus, Geosternbergia, and I'd argue the Concavenator could've and should've been done AFTER the film species were exhausted. We're still waiting on some fan favourites like the Spinosaurus and Carnotaurus.

Quotethen we'd quickly run out of new species for Mattel to release

Have you actually counted how extensive that list is? Especially considering the World films now. This is the list from Dominion ALONE (not shown: Oviraptor, Iguanodon). Moreover, all the film specific variants / repaints they could do would allow Mattel to keep the line running for a long time. So I really don't see how the argument that "Mattel will run out of species to produce" holds any ground.

suspsy

I think there's definitely too many theropods in the HC as it stands. They should do a Stegosaurus.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Gwangi

The Irritator doesn't excite me much but it's good enough to give me high hopes for the alleged Metriacanthosaurus. I love the look of that dinosaur in Jurassic World: Evolution.

JPuggy

Quote from: Flaffy on February 27, 2023, 12:06:08 AM
Quote from: Faelrin on February 26, 2023, 11:28:51 PMIt's very nice, but kind of perplexed on its inclusion in a line like this when it's not been in any of the films, and those species should take precedence. I'll add it to the op, and guess to the DTC as well. In any case guess I might pick this one up later.

Edit: Come to think of it, it almost looks like the old JPIII GBA park builder one:

Likewise. Very perplexed of it's inclusion in a movie line. Regardless, this is the quality we SHOULD be expecting from the mainline. Good call on the JPIII GBA park builder homage avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin , I wouldn't have caught such an obscure reference otherwise.

Now I'm debating if I should bother getting the upcoming orange mainline Irritator... Since it actually has a signature spinosaurid notch. Another part of me is wondering why Irritator of all things got 3 distinct sculpts...? Must've been some Mattel employee's favourite dinosaur.

Seeing all three together... wow that original did not age well for me, I remember it being my most wanted figure

Blade-of-the-Moon

The first one is still pretty desirable with collectors it must have been rare? After I bought one I didn't pay a lot of attention to how much it was around.

When it comes to HC line it feels like they are being pretty cautious, mainly small to medium species with the Rex being the only one currently, though the Brachio is supposedly coming. Maybe we get one big one a year and they need a lot of small/medium ones in between, in terms of desirability that does limit things a little I guess.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: