News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mattel - New for 2023

Started by Faelrin, August 27, 2022, 10:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwangi

This shows that in some instances Mattel is indeed improving. The original Irritator was one of my favorites the year it came out but both of the 2023 versions are far better. The new mainline Irritator has some thing that I like better than the HC one, like the tail, but aside from that I think the HC version is the best of the three overall.

Carnoking

Collect Jurassic has posted images of the Metriacanthosaurus and Corythosaurus!

Lynx

I think the figure is really ugly. I am surprised by the mostly positive response.
An oversized house cat.

Nyrorosaurus

JPuggy

Carnoking

Thank you avatar_Nyrorosaurus @Nyrorosaurus

It only took 22 years but we finally have the JP3 Corythosaurus! I'm a little worried it will suffer from the same abhorrent bee hive cheeks of the para but I'll find a way to cope for this one.

Oh, and the Metriacanthosaurus is nice as well, although I'm not crazy about the fleshy base tone

ItsTwentyBelow

Quote from: Flaffy on February 27, 2023, 12:46:31 PMI don't think it's unreasonable to expect Mattel to priorities species with film appearances rather than pump out more "filler" species

Well buckle up then, because Mattel is probably going to release many more obscure Hammond Collection figures without a focus on the films. I'm looking forward to this more than anything. They're going to do what they're going to do if their track record is any indication.

Quote from: Flaffy on February 27, 2023, 12:46:31 PMHave you actually counted how extensive that list is?

No, I haven't, because I'm not that concerned about it. No count is required for me to realize that the HC would be limited overall if they restricted themselves just to the films. I just want some cool dinosaurs and other prehistoric critters, but film stuff here and there is cool to. This line could potentially still be going in ten years. Now, that's not likely, but is possible.

Quote from: Flaffy on February 27, 2023, 12:46:31 PMSo I really don't see how the argument that "Mattel will run out of species to produce" holds any ground.
To be clear, I'm not arguing with anyone, nor am I seeking to begin one. I very clearly said "that's my take" regarding what I had posted. Please learn how to not turn every discussion into an argument, man.

ItsTwentyBelow

Aaaaaaagh! That Metricanthosaurus and Corythosaurus are AWESOME!

Once again very happy that I never bought any previous Metricanthosaurus...guess I knew I was waiting for this one!!  :))

I figured the Corythosaurus would be a mostly repaint of Parasaurolophus, but that's ok; we finally got one. Bring it on!

Sorry for the double post!

Gwangi

Well the Metriacanthosaurus isn't exactly what I wanted but it's still decent enough, I'll probably get that one. It looks like the Corythosaurus suffers from the same jaw articulation and puffy cheeks as the Para, and although I was able to look past it with the Para I don't think I can do it again here. That face is hideous and I was never a fan of the JP Corythosaurus paint job either, so that one is a pass for me. But it is a long overdue figure and I'm happy for the fans of JP3.

Faelrin

A little bummed Mattel didn't do the JW soft canon design for the Metriacanthosaurus. Not even sure if this is based on anything in particular? Missed opportunity there.

Hoping the Corythosaurus doesn't have a mouthful of bees. They really should have listened and addressed that with this one, since this is the first figure of it. Limbs look the same as on the Parasaurolophus too. At least the coloration is pretty accurate and we have one after all this time though. I'll add these to the op in a bit.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

MLMjp

Corythosaurus! It does kinda look like a Para retool, but so was the CGI model from JP3 so who cares!

The Metriacanthosaurus is so disappointing, why did they made that when they just had to copy what was already perfection?

Money saved...but damn.

andrewsaurus rex

I actually kind of like the metriacanthosaurus.  Depending on its size I may get it; should be close to actual 1/18 scale since it wasn't an overly large animal.

The colours of the Corythosaurus are similar to the one on Dino Dana.  Shame it will be under scale by a wide margin.  I'm jones-n for a 1/18 hadrosaur.

Pachyrhinosaurus

I actually prefer this metriacanthosaurus to the JW:E design. The website design doesn't really fit in with the Jurassic Park style. I'll be getting it. My only criticism is that it should probably be a yangchuanosaurus since from what I understand, it's inclusion was inspired by the cover of Predatory Dinosaurs of the World which Crichton referenced for the novel.

I'll probably pick up the corythosaurus, too. It looks like it has the wide jaw again, though. I don't think the jaw articulation is worth it, myself.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Nyrorosaurus

HC Nedry, Hammond, baby Stegosaurus and baby Tyrannosaurus. Credit to Collect Jurassic for the combined image

Flaffy

Quote from: ItsTwentyBelow on February 27, 2023, 03:48:22 PMNo, I haven't, because I'm not that concerned about it. No count is required for me to realize that the HC would be limited overall if they restricted themselves just to the films. I just want some cool dinosaurs and other prehistoric critters, but film stuff here and there is cool to. This line could potentially still be going in ten years. Now, that's not likely, but is possible.

Then why do you say "I don't understand how Irritator not being a film species generates any kind of negativity." when you have no intention of trying to understand the other side?

It feels like you are blatantly disregarding the evidence (i.e. sheer number of film species) right in front of you to paint a picture that people who just want film species to take priority are being unreasonably negative. Moreover, no one is saying that Mattel should exclusively produce film species? There's a big difference in wanting something to take priority compared to outright rejection. Again, making obscure non-film, extended universe, or soft-cannon species is perfectly fine. But those that actually DO appear on screen should always take presedence over those that don't. Afterall like you've said, who knows how long this line will last. Who knows whether the Hammond Collection will get unceremoniously cancelled like the Amber Collection? Leaving collectors out in the cold with an incomplete collection.

Since you aren't willing, I've gone and counted 39 unique species in total that appeared in the films (alive). That alone should be plenty to make figures of. The number bloats even further with the inclusion of dead/taxidermy species, regional/morphological/temporal variants, sexual dimorphism, specific named characters and distinct phenotypes [clones from INGEN, Masrani and Biosyn]. (+40 or so potential figures give or take on top of the 39.)

The Hammond Collection currently has only 10 unique film species released, so barely scratching the surface of the 6 films + TV show's combined potential. I really don't see how you think that this is a restrictive scope in any way shape or form.

Flaffy

Quote from: Faelrin on February 27, 2023, 04:27:25 PMA little bummed Mattel didn't do the JW soft canon design for the Metriacanthosaurus. Not even sure if this is based on anything in particular? Missed opportunity there.

Hoping the Corythosaurus doesn't have a mouthful of bees. They really should have listened and addressed that with this one, since this is the first figure of it. Limbs look the same as on the Parasaurolophus too. At least the coloration is pretty accurate and we have one after all this time though. I'll add these to the op in a bit.

Agreed on both counts. The Metriacanthosaurus is a vast improvement over their mainline sculpt... but incredibly huge missed opportunity to utilise the JW website colour scheme. Not sure if it's due to licensing issues or just Mattel being lazy again. A very striking colour scheme they missed out on unfortunately.

Even IF the Corythosaurus has those bee-stung chimpmunk cheeks, I might just have to get it. Been waiting forever for a proper JP3 Corythosaurus toy and Mattel (somewhat) delivers.

Flaffy

Quote from: Nyrorosaurus on February 27, 2023, 07:21:53 PM
HC Nedry, Hammond, baby Stegosaurus and baby Tyrannosaurus. Credit to Collect Jurassic for the combined image

The young rex has a much better sculpt than it's Amber Collection counterpart imo. Ditching the radioactive neon green for more muted tones is a smart choice too. It's funny that the smaller figure ends up surpassing the larger one, usually it's the other way around. ;D

I'm sure we all remember this disappointing release...

The juvenile Stegosaurus looks rough though. Really not a fan of that jaw hinge, very uncanny like their Miragaia sculpt. Would've vasty preferred it having a closed mouth like it's Legacy Collection counterpart. I don't see how a team of dedicated artists couldn't have come up with a better solution to the jaw articulation on these HC herbivores.

Carnoking

Guess I can part with my Nedry getaway set too now!

I gotta say though, I don't think either of those HC juveniles are stronger than their counterparts. I still think the extreme damage juvenile rex that comes with the pachy is weirdly the stronger offering...

Pliosaurking

Ok the humans are great, as is that beautiful Metriacanthosaurus! The Corythosaurus is alright from this angle but I'm waiting to see it from a better perspective. The juveniles...well they aren't their worst, aren't really good in my books.

Takama

Unpopular Opinion time

The Metriacanthosaurus should of been a JWFK Allosaurus

And the Irritator should of been a bigger release

Spinosaurus

just saying

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: