News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mattel - New for 2023

Started by Faelrin, August 27, 2022, 10:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwangi

I'm pretty content with my mainline Hammond and Nedry so those two will be passes. And I don't care about the Stegosaurus. I think the mainline baby Steg may have been better. That young T. rex looks great though. Not a big Lost World fan but I might get that one.

Pachyrhinosaurus

Those four look great! I was wondering if they would have Hammond in their Hammond Collection. The baby dinosaurs also look like an upgrade from their mainline counterparts, save for the cheeks on the stegosaurus. I'm really happy with the baby rex, though. The feet look much more in-proportion than those of their other theropods. Maybe this means we'll see an adult stegosaurus at some point. I could go for a baby triceratops, too.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Faelrin

Something about the coloration on the baby T. rex looks off to me. Gonna need other pics, or in hand pics to get a better idea of it. Atm I agree with avatar_Carnoking @Carnoking that the electronic Epic Attack figure is a bit better in that regard. Still an improvement in sculpt and coloration then the earlier Amber Collection one though. The coloration of the baby Stegosaurus looks slightly more in line with the SWS maquette and animatronic, then last year's Legacy release (which was a bit too green).

Some images of the SWS source material:
Spoiler

baby Stegosaurus maquette:

baby Stegosaurus animatronic:

baby T. rex maquette:

baby T. rex animatronic:

[close]

Edit: Okay so saw on JPToys a larger higher res image of the HC baby T. rex (which I added to the op). The coloration does appear to be off. The belly is too yellow. Should be more of a cream color (should be the same on the jaw and neck). The shade of green used for the body is too yellow. Again the Epic Attack one has the more accurate color palette, and the stripes were also done more faithfully too. They look too soft and scribbled on here. Still gonna need to wait for more pics of this one for a better idea. They tend to be better in those, in comparison to the promo pics, most of the time.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

andrewsaurus rex

glad to see the HC Nedry figure.  Now maybe the high prices of the Nedry Getaway pack will come way down.  The Nedry figure alone is going for $55.US.  I'll be getting the Hammond, Hammond figure.  He looks great.

Gwangi

Anyone else think the Nedry figure is too slim? That was my initial thought and my wife thought so too.

Pachyrhinosaurus

avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi I noticed that too after my initial reaction. The SDCC Nedry looked more in-proportion though it's probably a little smaller than he should be.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Flaffy

Quote from: Gwangi on February 27, 2023, 11:10:02 PMAnyone else think the Nedry figure is too slim? That was my initial thought and my wife thought so too.

Yes I've been saying this for a while now. All of Mattel's raincoat Nedrys have sculpts that are too slim, and not true to the actor's appearance in the film.

Hence why the only (and definitive) Nedry in my collection is the SDCC Barbasol can version. That sculpt is very faithful to the actor, and the accessories are a must have as opposed to a plastic stick.

ItsTwentyBelow

Boy, they just keep coming! More excellent additions. I'm not too sold on John Hammond's expression though, ha.

I've come close to picking up the Sarah Harding set but now I don't have to! I don't need two of the mainline adult Stegosaurus. I'll bet we get Sarah Harding in the HC before long to accompany this new baby Stego.

Eatmycar

I'm impressed by all of these... just not happy its raincoat Nedry, again.

Welp, guess I'll have to break down and go get the SDCC one at some point.

Eatmycar

Quote from: ItsTwentyBelow on February 27, 2023, 03:48:22 PMWell buckle up then, because Mattel is probably going to release many more obscure Hammond Collection figures without a focus on the films. I'm looking forward to this more than anything. They're going to do what they're going to do if their track record is any indication.

Honestly, I'm all for the filler species and odd call-backs to weird, obscure JP media. They'd be stupid to release all of the film animals as soon as possible and risk losing the attention of some of their collector audience.

Like it or not, Mattel is giving some of these animals their first and possibly only fully articulated action figures, and I find that much more important than every weird film dinosaur getting a figure. I'm also not holding out hope for Beasts of the Mesozoic to get some of these genera. Not when there's nonsense like Mammoths coming down the pipeline and Parasaurolophus is nowhere in sight.

Gwangi

Quote from: Flaffy on February 27, 2023, 11:40:25 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on February 27, 2023, 11:10:02 PMAnyone else think the Nedry figure is too slim? That was my initial thought and my wife thought so too.

Yes I've been saying this for a while now. All of Mattel's raincoat Nedrys have sculpts that are too slim, and not true to the actor's appearance in the film.

Hence why the only (and definitive) Nedry in my collection is the SDCC Barbasol can version. That sculpt is very faithful to the actor, and the accessories are a must have as opposed to a plastic stick.

I feel like the mainline Nedry that I have looks alright, and is fuller bodied than this HC one.

TheCambrianCrusader

Weird that they referenced jurassic park builder for the Irritator and not the JWE/website design for the Metriacanthosaurus.
That seems a little backwards...

Gotta say tho I'm not complaining with these guys, I've wanted a Corythosaurus for ages and it looks good! So do to the two babys and I REALLY hope this means we're getting a Stegosaurus soon. Rn a TLW Stegosaurus is probably the one dino I want the most from this line even moreso than a Spinosaurus (only slightly lol).

The original colors on the Metriacanthosaurus aren't bad either. Woulda preferred the website design, but this is a good look in its own right. Prob not gonna pick up it or the Irritator tho cuz I'm only really interested in the dinos from the first three movies.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I'm probably getting them all..the humans maybe on sale? I just don't know as they look that much better/different overall than what we already have.

MLMjp

I definitely need more pictures of the baby stego, maybe it will look better in a better pose, but that mouth is already an issue. If it's coloration is a tease of how a potential adult would look like then I like what I see.

Can't afford to upgrade figures that I already have, but the baby T.rex is kinda tempting, really like the more muted coloration here.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: MLMjp on February 28, 2023, 12:05:37 PMI definitely need more pictures of the baby stego, maybe it will look better in a better pose, but that mouth is already an issue. If it's coloration is a tease of how a potential adult would look like then I like what I see.

Can't afford to upgrade figures that I already have, but the baby T.rex is kinda tempting, really like the more muted coloration here.

The mouth doesn't work that way in the film, but I can always leave the mouth shut or resculpt it open.  It should be that expensive of a figure either.

The baby Rex might have some coloration issues but it's the best we have ever received as a toy, I'm excited for it. Also want to see the scale and if it can be "carried" lol

Flaffy

Quote from: Eatmycar on February 28, 2023, 12:19:22 AM
Quote from: ItsTwentyBelow on February 27, 2023, 03:48:22 PMWell buckle up then, because Mattel is probably going to release many more obscure Hammond Collection figures without a focus on the films. I'm looking forward to this more than anything. They're going to do what they're going to do if their track record is any indication.

Honestly, I'm all for the filler species and odd call-backs to weird, obscure JP media. They'd be stupid to release all of the film animals as soon as possible and risk losing the attention of some of their collector audience.

You seem to have missed that there's like 80 figures that can be produced just from the films and TV show. I don't see how dedicated collectors will be put off by this at all.

With a rate of 8 HC dinosaurs per year (based on 2022's release schedule), that'll already be almost 10 years worth of figures just waiting to be produced. This mythical "shortage" of hard cannon species is a narative based entirely on either misinformation or ignorance.

QuoteLike it or not, Mattel is giving some of these animals their first and possibly only fully articulated action figures, and I find that much more important than every weird film dinosaur getting a figure. I'm also not holding out hope for Beasts of the Mesozoic to get some of these genera. Not when there's nonsense like Mammoths coming down the pipeline and Parasaurolophus is nowhere in sight.

You really expect david not to exploit the parts-sharing goldmine that is the hadrosaurs? I reckon it'll be one of his most cost efficient yet diverse line-ups ever. rivalling that of the ceratopsians. Moreover, I recall David already stating that if (when) he does another dino-centric Kickstarter, it'll be a Hadrosaur/Ornithopod focused series.

Eatmycar

I'm not doubting David Silva. I'm doubting people giving a damn enough to buy into Hadrosaurs.

I recall the adult Triceratops not crossing the Kickstarter finish line when the KS initially finished. I sincerely, sincerely doubt that Ornithopods and most herbivores have the appeal needed to get a full Kickstarter with as much diversity as they deserve.

CityRaptor

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

DinoFan2010

Those colors are so random it's funny. I have to buy this Clown Bird! >:D

___🦕 🦕 🦖_________

Gwangi

I kind of like that paintjob but I refuse to buy a Mattel Pyro until we get a more screen accurate version. Hammond Collection maybe?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: