News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

The best figure of every species, according to Halichoeres

Started by Halichoeres, May 04, 2015, 05:29:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Lovely acquisitions, funny you should get the Suchomimus, Therizinosaurus and Gallimimus around the same time too. Haven't opened them yet but looking firearm to it.
You must have dozens of Spinosaurus now for all the fish.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

ceratopsian

bmathison1972

Nice! I have the PNSO Therizonosaurus too! It's the only 'large theropod' I have that isn't by Safari (I am sticking with my Safari Suchomimus, however).
Curious, what is the tan spinosaurid on the far right of the group pic? More just out of curiosity rather than interest in acquiring. Thank you.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Quote from: ceratopsian on February 26, 2023, 01:19:55 PM"Firearm" is an interesting example of autocorrect avatar_Gothmog the Baryonyx @Gothmog the Baryonyx!
Jesus, don't know how that happened, don't think I've ever used that word on my phone. Will have to proofread again
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Leyster

B @bmathison1972 it's the Dino Hazard Irritator plus Equinoxioudus set

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres such a sad thing that some documentaries more or less imprinted the Onchopristis=sawfish in people's mind
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

TooOldForDinosaurs

Quote from: Halichoeres on February 26, 2023, 06:40:50 AMSince PNSO is doing feathered stuff now, it wouldn't surprise me if they made a Gigantoraptor in the near future, or even a Gallimimus.

Technically they have a Gigantoraptor. I think it's even 1:35. The thing is, it's in bronze.  :))  :))

bmathison1972

ceratopsian

An excellent group of acquisitions.  My Therizinosaurus arrived Friday and I'm hugely impressed.  It's much more appealing in the hand.  Somehow none of the photos of it that I've yet seen manage to capture the variety of colour of its plumage and skin.  It looks quite flat in all the photos and the colours somehow get ironed out.  It's much more vivid in real life.  The beautiful greeny grey of its back never seems to show well.

Faelrin

Great batch there. The Spinosaurus was temping, but obviously too much for me at this time. I really do like the half submerged sunlit water idea. Rare to see something like that on models. Shame the fish wasn't more accurate though.

Definitely agree about wanting Safari Ltd or PNSO to tackle Gallimimus, but issues aside, I'll still commend Schleich for making it feathered decently (I think the wings could be bigger, but otherwise very nice), and an ornithomimid that's rarely represented (outside of Mattel's JW license these days). That said I can't help be curious how it looks next to the PNSO Deinocheirus and Kaiyodo Ornithomimus.

In the last pic with Therizinosaurus and Deinocheirus, they look as if they are about to drop their next hot album. Tarbosaurus better watch out.

I definitely think 2022 was one of PNSO's strongest years yet for me. It had a decent Acrocanthosaurus that I've waited quite a many years for, a decent Therizinosaurus I've waited a while for (prior I ended up getting my hands on the Bullyland one, which issues aside is still appealing to me), Lingwulong that I've wanted since it was initially described a few years ago, a new Suchomimus, and rather unexpectedly that beautiful Deinocheirus. I was satisfied with my Safari Ltd one from prior, but man I just couldn't resist this how beautiful the colors and sculpting were on this one too. Oh and I guess the Centrosaurus (and Styracosaurus) was also a nice surprise and goes nicely with their prior trio of Dinosaur Park hadrosaurids. If only they did a Chasmosaurus to go with the bunch.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

SenSx

Quote from: TooOldForDinosaurs on February 26, 2023, 02:16:10 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on February 26, 2023, 06:40:50 AMSince PNSO is doing feathered stuff now, it wouldn't surprise me if they made a Gigantoraptor in the near future, or even a Gallimimus.

Technically they have a Gigantoraptor. I think it's even 1:35. The thing is, it's in bronze.  :))  :))

Well I've been waiting for that Gigantoraptor for ages.
Same for Gallimimus, I haven't given in for the Schleich one yet.

I would not be surprise if they make a new T-rex, the last Wilson isn't as good as their previous releases.

I'd like smaller species, like Herrerasaurus, Megalosaurus, Ceratosaurus.

And of course much bigger: at least one big titanosaur :D

Halichoeres

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts, everyone!

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on February 26, 2023, 12:31:31 PMLovely acquisitions, funny you should get the Suchomimus, Therizinosaurus and Gallimimus around the same time too. Haven't opened them yet but looking firearm to it.
You must have dozens of Spinosaurus now for all the fish.
I only have two Spinosaurus officially in my collection, having sold off the majority. A couple are still waiting to be offloaded, though.

Quote from: bmathison1972 on February 26, 2023, 01:23:15 PMNice! I have the PNSO Therizonosaurus too! It's the only 'large theropod' I have that isn't by Safari (I am sticking with my Safari Suchomimus, however).
Curious, what is the tan spinosaurid on the far right of the group pic? More just out of curiosity rather than interest in acquiring. Thank you.
Yeah, when PNSO and Safari both do the same theropod, I usually prefer Safari's version. PNSO refuses to give theropods lips (construing the term broadly), but they do right by beaks. If you're interested in more angles on the Dino Hazard Irritator, I reviewed it for the blog: https://dinotoyblog.com/irritator-dino-hazard/

Quote from: Leyster on February 26, 2023, 02:07:34 PMavatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres such a sad thing that some documentaries more or less imprinted the Onchopristis=sawfish in people's mind
Is that what happened? I haven't seen these documentaries, but that would help explain the pervasiveness of the error.

Quote from: TooOldForDinosaurs on February 26, 2023, 02:16:10 PM

Ha, yes, and they have a very small version as well. I have faith there will be something more accessible and coherent with their other offerings eventually.

Quote from: ceratopsian on February 26, 2023, 03:11:16 PMAn excellent group of acquisitions.  My Therizinosaurus arrived Friday and I'm hugely impressed.  It's much more appealing in the hand.  Somehow none of the photos of it that I've yet seen manage to capture the variety of colour of its plumage and skin.  It looks quite flat in all the photos and the colours somehow get ironed out.  It's much more vivid in real life.  The beautiful greeny grey of its back never seems to show well.
Agreed, I took lots of photos and most of them looked even worse than the one I posted. The paint job resists capture!

Quote from: Faelrin on February 26, 2023, 04:18:44 PMGreat batch there. The Spinosaurus was temping, but obviously too much for me at this time. I really do like the half submerged sunlit water idea. Rare to see something like that on models. Shame the fish wasn't more accurate though.

Definitely agree about wanting Safari Ltd or PNSO to tackle Gallimimus, but issues aside, I'll still commend Schleich for making it feathered decently (I think the wings could be bigger, but otherwise very nice), and an ornithomimid that's rarely represented (outside of Mattel's JW license these days). That said I can't help be curious how it looks next to the PNSO Deinocheirus and Kaiyodo Ornithomimus.

In the last pic with Therizinosaurus and Deinocheirus, they look as if they are about to drop their next hot album. Tarbosaurus better watch out.

I definitely think 2022 was one of PNSO's strongest years yet for me. It had a decent Acrocanthosaurus that I've waited quite a many years for, a decent Therizinosaurus I've waited a while for (prior I ended up getting my hands on the Bullyland one, which issues aside is still appealing to me), Lingwulong that I've wanted since it was initially described a few years ago, a new Suchomimus, and rather unexpectedly that beautiful Deinocheirus. I was satisfied with my Safari Ltd one from prior, but man I just couldn't resist this how beautiful the colors and sculpting were on this one too. Oh and I guess the Centrosaurus (and Styracosaurus) was also a nice surprise and goes nicely with their prior trio of Dinosaur Park hadrosaurids. If only they did a Chasmosaurus to go with the bunch.

Glad you were pleased with their 2022 output and it ticked so many of your wishlist boxes! I found it a little too dinosaur-heavy for my taste, but hopefully the rumors of some marine animals on the way are true. As for the Galli compared to other ornithomimosaurs, your wish is my command:

Quote from: SenSx on February 26, 2023, 06:54:00 PMWell I've been waiting for that Gigantoraptor for ages.
Same for Gallimimus, I haven't given in for the Schleich one yet.

I would not be surprise if they make a new T-rex, the last Wilson isn't as good as their previous releases.

I'd like smaller species, like Herrerasaurus, Megalosaurus, Ceratosaurus.

And of course much bigger: at least one big titanosaur :D
They probably will make another T. rex, but of course I hope they choose something new rather than remaking old stuff. A Herrerasaurus would be great. A titanosaur could be cool too; I would hope for Dreadnoughtus so I can get rid of my Mattel one.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

bmathison1972

I might just have to get the Schleich Gallimimus  :o I don't have a single Schleich Dinosaur (excluding Dinogorgon), I just don't like their style, but this Gally is growing on me.

Sim

Quote from: Halichoeres on February 26, 2023, 06:40:50 AM
It's okay with me if manufacturers take a nice long break from spinosaurids now. We have plenty. (Also, this photo might look kind of dark on some devices, sorry, but I don't want to set it up again.)
What, no Baryonyx?! :P That Spinosaurus and Onchopristis model is very impressive!  I love how they've simulated water!  And you might not like to hear this, but it makes me want a new Spinosaurus figure from PNSO! :))

Safari or PNSO could definitely make a nicer companion to this Qianzhousaurus.
Yes, or CollectA too.  I hope someone will make a Gallimimus that's better than Schleich's.

Two animals famous for their hands on their way to get manicures. Since PNSO is doing feathered stuff now, it wouldn't surprise me if they made a Gigantoraptor in the near future, or even a Gallimimus.
Hmm, I'd like a Gallimimus from PNSO.  It would go well with the two figures in the photo above, as well as the PNSO Tarbosaurus, since they are all from the same ecosystem.  A Gallimimus would go well with Qianzhousaurus too if you consider the latter the adult of Alioramus.

Faelrin

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres Thanks for the group shot. Much appreciated. Nice to see there's a slow but growing selection for ornithomimosaurs. I may have to pick up that Gallimimus at some point. At least it could tide me over until something from the likes of Safari Ltd or PNSO anyways.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Lynx

An oversized house cat.

TheCambrianCrusader

Man Ornithomimosaurs really need more love.
And a lot of non Tyrannosaur and non Dromaeosaur Coelurosaurians for that matter.

SidB

Quote from: Lynx on February 27, 2023, 05:46:22 PMI love the Gallimimus but the head looks like a muppet
Who can say from where those Schleich artists draw their inspiriration? Or from what?

Halichoeres

Reference list on page 1 updated!

Quote from: bmathison1972 on February 27, 2023, 04:42:51 PMI might just have to get the Schleich Gallimimus  :o I don't have a single Schleich Dinosaur (excluding Dinogorgon), I just don't like their style, but this Gally is growing on me.
The Dinogorgon is among their best/most interesting prehistoric offerings. Even as a pretty diehard taxon completist, I only have a dozen Schleich figures.

Quote from: Sim on February 27, 2023, 05:36:41 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on February 26, 2023, 06:40:50 AMIt's okay with me if manufacturers take a nice long break from spinosaurids now. We have plenty. (Also, this photo might look kind of dark on some devices, sorry, but I don't want to set it up again.)
What, no Baryonyx?! :P That Spinosaurus and Onchopristis model is very impressive!  I love how they've simulated water!  And you might not like to hear this, but it makes me want a new Spinosaurus figure from PNSO! :))
What do you mean, the Ceratosuchops is right there! Just kidding, actually, these are all spinosaurids that I've bought since my last move, and I had the Favorite Baryonyx before that! I'm a little surprised you want a Spinosaurus, considering how uncertain its appearance is even in silhouette. I would consider buying it if they gave it a nice fish, but otherwise Spinosaurus stays on my no-buy list, along with Tyrannosaurus and Giganotosaurus.

Quote from: Sim on February 27, 2023, 05:36:41 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on February 26, 2023, 06:40:50 AMSafari or PNSO could definitely make a nicer companion to this Qianzhousaurus.
Yes, or CollectA too.  I hope someone will make a Gallimimus that's better than Schleich's.

Quote from: Halichoeres on February 26, 2023, 06:40:50 AMTwo animals famous for their hands on their way to get manicures. Since PNSO is doing feathered stuff now, it wouldn't surprise me if they made a Gigantoraptor in the near future, or even a Gallimimus.
Hmm, I'd like a Gallimimus from PNSO.  It would go well with the two figures in the photo above, as well as the PNSO Tarbosaurus, since they are all from the same ecosystem.  A Gallimimus would go well with Qianzhousaurus too if you consider the latter the adult of Alioramus.
I think there's a decent chance of one from PNSO. CollectA made a big batch of ornithomimosaurs and hasn't really revisited them, but I suppose that doesn't mean they won't. In my estimation, they're among their most competently executed theropods. The thighs are a bit skinny, but their proportions look a lot better than those on nearly all their other theropods. Anyway, I think the fact Schleich made one makes it likelier that someone else will down the line.

Quote from: Faelrin on February 27, 2023, 05:41:55 PMavatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres Thanks for the group shot. Much appreciated. Nice to see there's a slow but growing selection for ornithomimosaurs. I may have to pick up that Gallimimus at some point. At least it could tide me over until something from the likes of Safari Ltd or PNSO anyways.
No worries! And I would say, given your rather extensive wish list, that this one should be a very low priority!

Quote from: SidB on February 28, 2023, 04:40:12 PM
Quote from: Lynx on February 27, 2023, 05:46:22 PMI love the Gallimimus but the head looks like a muppet
Who can say from where those Schleich artists draw their inspiriration? Or from what?
It is a bit muppet-y from the hips up. The legs look like if The Thing from Fantastic Four had a pet ostrich. So this is a figure replete with sly, obviously intentional allusions to pop culture.  ;)

Quote from: TheCambrianCrusader on February 28, 2023, 03:18:33 AMMan Ornithomimosaurs really need more love.
And a lot of non Tyrannosaur and non Dromaeosaur Coelurosaurians for that matter.
True. Alvarezsaurs and hesperornitheans spring immediately to mind.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Primeval12

OK, IK this was updated a while ago. Regarding the best Cryo, I think Safari's is more accurate. Battat's is good but it has the crest split in half where it was one structure in real life.

I also think Safari's a better figure personally.

Sim

Quote from: Halichoeres on March 02, 2023, 08:26:04 PMI'm a little surprised you want a Spinosaurus, considering how uncertain its appearance is even in silhouette. I would consider buying it if they gave it a nice fish, but otherwise Spinosaurus stays on my no-buy list, along with Tyrannosaurus and Giganotosaurus.
Well, I used to not want a Spinosaurus, or Tyrannosaurus or allosauroids, because they were being made so often while animals I wanted weren't getting made.  But I'm mostly satisfied with what has been made now and I'm past those stages.  It's true that Spinosaurus's appearance is unknown, but like Cryolophosaurus it still has features that make it distinctive and that's enough for me to want it.  It's not among my most-wanted and neither is Tyrannosaurus, but I would like to have figures of them at some point.
Although with Spinosaurus, I don't want one with the M-shaped sail which is why I'm passing on the Mesozoic Life version.  If that means I have no Spinosaurus, I'm fine with it.  Similarly for Tyrannosaurus, I will only get a figure of it if it's featherless and suits me.

Following the post by avatar_Primeval12 @Primeval12, I think the PNSO Tarbosaurus is better than the Favorite museum exclusive version.  The scales on the PNSO are a more realistic size and the teeth are more appropriately sized than the Favorite's uniform teeth.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: