You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Rebor Scientifically Accurate Tyrannosaurus rex "Kiss” and “Tusk”

Started by GojiraGuy1954, June 14, 2021, 08:28:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carnoking

avatar_SRF @SRF, thanks for watching! Tusk is certainly a great figure in its own right but if you were still keen on lips it might still be cheaper to have some extra oral tissue added and painted over on that figure than getting a total repair job on Kiss. Either way, I don't think a replacement in the form of Tusk would be a bad idea.

And as avatar_Over9K @Over9K said, I almost wish we had gotten variants between the two. It would have been really interesting to see these paint jobs switched, and it's almost weird that REBOR didn't go that route given how often they do multiple variants of their sculpts. Slight alterations to Tusk might make for one unique figure!

D @dragon53 Thanks for sharing the review here! Glad it can be useful to some.

SRF

Decided to purchase Tusk. Alongside with it, I also purchased the bases Rebor has released recentely. Looking forward to receiving them! :)
But today, I'm just being father

SRF

Today I received Tusk and the two bases. Comparing Tusk with Kiss in hand, I actually like Tusks coloration better than the coloration of Kiss. De sculpting details somehow look nicer on Tusk because of the lighter colors as well.

So I'm really happy with my purchase. It helps that my Tusk can stand on two legs.  ;)

need4swede

Someone in a FB group I follow has a Rebor Kiss for sale for $50

Not sure if anyone is still looking for a Kiss, but I figured I would share!

FB Post:
Spoiler
[close]

Very reputable seller; I vouch for him.
- Swede

Over9K

Is anyone here displaying either Kiss/Tusk without the chest brace?

How have the legs/feet held up?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Over9K on January 23, 2023, 06:56:54 AMIs anyone here displaying either Kiss/Tusk without the chest brace?

How have the legs/feet held up?

Both of mine have held up thus far.

SRF

I've my Tusk displayed on one of the bases from Rebor. Thus far it's standing perfectly fine.

SRF

After a closer look at my Kiss model, I actually figured I could glue the broken leg together after all. So now my Kiss is actually standing upright on one of the bases!

It's only missing some pieces of two claws on its foot, but after touching it up with some paint that's hardly noticeable when standing on the Winter Tears base. I'm happy to be able to display both Kiss and Tusk on those bases now.

Kei

I was a bit bummed out when I missed the opportunity to purchase Kiss- but Tusk will do just fine  ;)

Paleo Flo

Welcome to Florassic Park...my collection:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=10638.0

SenSx

Great shots, and I was thinking of doing the same.
Missed Kiss, but in the end, Tusk go along all the other accurate dinosaur figures that are often represented lipless (PNSO).

Also kiss suffers from Rebor bad articulated mouth, the purpose is to keep its mouth shut, and in many case, it can't...
I did not want to rely on luck for that.
On the other hand, Tusk has the opposite problem, and can't keep its mouth wide open...

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: SenSx on February 13, 2023, 03:02:29 PMGreat shots, and I was thinking of doing the same.
Missed Kiss, but in the end, Tusk go along all the other accurate dinosaur figures that are often represented lipless (PNSO).

Also kiss suffers from Rebor bad articulated mouth, the purpose is to keep its mouth shut, and in many case, it can't...
On the other hand, Tusk has the opposite problem, and can't keep its mouth wide open...

Closed is hard to fix, open though a tiny piece of clear rod inserted in the back of the mouth does well.

SenSx

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 13, 2023, 03:09:02 PM
Quote from: SenSx on February 13, 2023, 03:02:29 PMGreat shots, and I was thinking of doing the same.

Closed is hard to fix, open though a tiny piece of clear rod inserted in the back of the mouth does well.

I agree, exactly what I thought, open is easier to fix, even without the rod, it might open more with time.
I wonder if the rod fix might cause the opposite issue, yes it will open more, but it could have problem to be closed after.

SRF

Since Kiss sold so well, I'm wondering if Rebor really isn't going to do a second production run. The smart thing would be to release a version with a new color scheme and quite some people were already rooting for them to release a "Sue variant".

Since the Mountain version of Kiss was already inspired by the other Blue Rhino studios designs, it wouldn't be strange to do the Sue design as well. Also with Eofaunas upcoming Sue Tyrannosaurus, it would be a bold move on the side of Rebor to do so.

GojiraGuy1954

I think a Kiss with paint inspired by the Kenner Red Rex would be pretty cool
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Over9K

Quote from: SRF on March 07, 2023, 06:36:13 PMSince the Mountain version of Kiss was already inspired by the other Blue Rhino studios designs, it wouldn't be strange to do the Sue design as well. Also with Eofaunas upcoming Sue Tyrannosaurus, it would be a bold move on the side of Rebor to do so.

Other than the Smilodon, has REBOR ever revisited a figure with a new colorway after an initial run? They have shown new/different colorways for both RetroRex versions and the Carnotaurus rex, but they haven't actually released any of them.

I feel like REBOR looks forward after a release, rather than back. The Smilodon becomes the exception to the rule.

I'm anxious to see progress on the InvictaRex/Harryhausen Ceratosaurus, and the V2 Jurassic rexes 'Killer Queen Requiem' and 'Sheer Heart Attack'. Don't get me wrong, I'd really love another shot at Kiss, as I'm a bit underwhelmed by the original colorway. I just feel like I shouldn't expect REBOR to release one.

SRF

Quote from: Over9K on March 07, 2023, 10:35:55 PM
Quote from: SRF on March 07, 2023, 06:36:13 PMSince the Mountain version of Kiss was already inspired by the other Blue Rhino studios designs, it wouldn't be strange to do the Sue design as well. Also with Eofaunas upcoming Sue Tyrannosaurus, it would be a bold move on the side of Rebor to do so.

Other than the Smilodon, has REBOR ever revisited a figure with a new colorway after an initial run? They have shown new/different colorways for both RetroRex versions and the Carnotaurus rex, but they haven't actually released any of them.

I feel like REBOR looks forward after a release, rather than back. The Smilodon becomes the exception to the rule.

I'm anxious to see progress on the InvictaRex/Harryhausen Ceratosaurus, and the V2 Jurassic rexes 'Killer Queen Requiem' and 'Sheer Heart Attack'. Don't get me wrong, I'd really love another shot at Kiss, as I'm a bit underwhelmed by the original colorway. I just feel like I shouldn't expect REBOR to release one.

I'm aware that REBOR seldom releases a new variant of an excisting sculpt. I'm not sure how well the Smilodon did in terms of sales and I can imagine that plans to release color schemes for every extant big cat were always planned anyway. On the other hand I've never seen a REBOR model being sold out as quickly as Kiss, so from a business standpoint it would make sense to make an exception for this sculpt and make a second production run or a version with a new color scheme.

SenSx

I think Kiss would deserve another run.

But now that Eofuna is coming, I'll just wait and see.
I just don't trust Rebor an articulated jaw, and it's very important for a T-Rex with lips to be able to close its mouth fully.
Other than that, Rebor's figure is great.

Shadowknight1

Quote from: SenSx on February 13, 2023, 04:02:04 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 13, 2023, 03:09:02 PM

I agree, exactly what I thought, open is easier to fix, even without the rod, it might open more with time.
I wonder if the rod fix might cause the opposite issue, yes it will open more, but it could have problem to be closed after.
I have had decent success with both Kiss and a Nanmu T-rex in closing the mouths back by utilizing the clear rubber bands.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

need4swede

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on March 08, 2023, 01:10:48 PMI have had decent success with both Kiss and a Nanmu T-rex in closing the mouths back by utilizing the clear rubber bands.

I've been thinking of doing this, but can't find the perfect size band. They're either too tight or too loose. Any recommendations as to where I can get a proper sized one for this scale? I know some figures came with one (the Rebor did), but I must have thrown it out at some point.
- Swede

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: