News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO : New for 2023

Started by Renecito, February 08, 2023, 12:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CARN0TAURUS

I honestly just don't understand all the anti-PNSO stuff, just don't buy their figures...it's so frustrating to read some of this stuff because half the time people aren't even talking about the figures themselves... :-\

Eatmycar

I mean, this *is* the space on the internet to vent and complain and share opinions on dinosaur toys. It's seemingly fine to criticize other brands, why not this one when correct? (Tarbosaurus is very, very good though and I don't get the slander against it).

Carnoking

In all honesty, I would rather just commission an artist to add extra oral tissue to existing PNSO figures rather than buy a ton of redos*. The figures are excellent on their own and barring any substantial improvement in the paint or pose, it would feel redundant and unnecessary to me.

*with the possible exception being redos in the current style of their older theropods that have the overstated texture.

Medzo

Quote from: Carnoking on March 31, 2023, 08:50:14 AMIn all honesty, I would rather just commission an artist to add extra oral tissue to existing PNSO figures rather than buy a ton of redos*.

Pretty sure it can't be done without giving them an ugly plastic lipstick like feeling, these molds were simply not refined for that.

SRF

Quote from: Medzo on March 31, 2023, 09:48:56 AM
Quote from: Carnoking on March 31, 2023, 08:50:14 AMIn all honesty, I would rather just commission an artist to add extra oral tissue to existing PNSO figures rather than buy a ton of redos*.

Pretty sure it can't be done without giving them an ugly plastic lipstick like feeling, these molds were simply not refined for that.

You can look up numerous examples of customised lipped figures and they look great.
But today, I'm just being father

Dan

Use promo code "dtfmember" during checkout for
$8.00 off PNSO Mapusaurus
Offer expires 3/31/2023
Redeem here:
https://stores.dansdinosaurs.com/pnso/

Bread

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on March 31, 2023, 06:15:17 AMI honestly just don't understand all the anti-PNSO stuff, just don't buy their figures...it's so frustrating to read some of this stuff because half the time people aren't even talking about the figures themselves... :-\
There isn't a single company that doesn't receive criticism. It is then said choice of the company to take into consideration the criticism. Even David Silva for BOTM receives criticism and he keeps his models/creations up to scientific standards. Doug Watson for Safari Ltd., too.

There is nothing wrong with criticism. We can point out imperfections and things we may not like. I haven't seen "anti-PNSO" comments, I mean I pointed out the similarities of posture the two recent therapods have been, plus the new therapod lip paper, which PNSO should consider given how they are a company marketed with scientific standards. I am positive this is not "anti-PNSO" more so just criticism and hope for slight changes/improvements from PNSO.

Skorpio V.

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on March 30, 2023, 06:08:37 PM
Quote from: Sim on March 29, 2023, 10:49:34 PMIf I'm remembering right from posts in the controversial opinions thread, Andrea's leg is fine.  And the Tarbosaurus doesn't have feet that are too big.
the Tarbosaurus is genuinely PNSO's worst ever release

Finally, someone who agrees. Its skull is just so wrong and so ugly. Not even ugly in a cool way like the Sinraptor, ugly unnecessarily. I'm okay with its feet honestly it's just the skull and the gastralia being so angled. Wilson has a gut parallel to the ground, Chuanzi's stomach is at a 30-degree angle from its chest. It makes no sense. What's almost a shame is that the scale detail and paint is done so well on it. If only we had the same for figures like their Carnotaurus.

Anyway, more on topic, so glad they did Mapusaurus justice!! Found out about him through Dinosaur King like many others, and I have always thought their models of allosauroids were the most interesting (e.g. DK's Acrocanthosaurus, Allosaurus, Eocarcharia, etc.).
On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

Lynx

I've been pretty quiet on this thread so might as well state my opinion

The Mapusaurus looks great! I'll probably just use it as a Giganotosaurus though, as PNSOs Giga just isn't as pleasing as this one! The pose is a nice (but little) change from the "walking with head turned", I love the more active pose!

As for the Tarbosaurus, I have to agree. It just looks really iffy.
An oversized house cat.

Sim

Quote from: Bread on March 30, 2023, 10:50:21 PMNot as in lazy as just a copy and paste of some parts of the mold, lazy as in effort and creativity.

As others have been mentioning, another great example of a PNSO therapod is their Zhuchengtyrannus. The posture and lifted foot is different.

Why create an exact pose and posture of two similar looking types of therapods? I'd much prefer something more creative and different. This just gives us collectors a decision between the two models since they're similar enough to only have one, instead of acquiring both.
The poses of the Giga and Mapu ARE different.  There's only so many poses you can make and PNSO did good in the poses of these two theropods.  If you only want one that's fine, but others myself included intend to get both.

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on March 31, 2023, 12:00:39 AM
Quote from: Sim on March 30, 2023, 10:19:05 PMI noticed the Mapusaurus is coloured in a way that is reminiscent of earth.  It's a nice feature as Mapusaurus means "earth lizard".  I wonder if PNSO made an Erythrosuchus (meaning red crocodile) would they make it red?
That is why I am not a fan of naming animals after colors when we don't know them. Now I am only going to accept red Erythrosuchi
Hehe!  I would like a white Tsaagan from PNSO!

Quote from: Skorpio V. on March 31, 2023, 03:00:20 PMFinally, someone who agrees. Its skull is just so wrong and so ugly. Not even ugly in a cool way like the Sinraptor, ugly unnecessarily. I'm okay with its feet honestly it's just the skull and the gastralia being so angled. Wilson has a gut parallel to the ground, Chuanzi's stomach is at a 30-degree angle from its chest. It makes no sense. What's almost a shame is that the scale detail and paint is done so well on it. If only we had the same for figures like their Carnotaurus.
The Tarbosaurus's skull is fine and its gastralia could achieve that position during normal breathing.

Bread

Quote from: Sim on March 31, 2023, 04:10:16 PM
Quote from: Bread on March 30, 2023, 10:50:21 PMNot as in lazy as just a copy and paste of some parts of the mold, lazy as in effort and creativity.

As others have been mentioning, another great example of a PNSO therapod is their Zhuchengtyrannus. The posture and lifted foot is different.

Why create an exact pose and posture of two similar looking types of therapods? I'd much prefer something more creative and different. This just gives us collectors a decision between the two models since they're similar enough to only have one, instead of acquiring both.
The poses of the Giga and Mapu ARE different.  There's only so many poses you can make and PNSO did good in the poses of these two theropods.  If you only want one that's fine, but others myself included intend to get both.
Yes, they are different, very subtle differences; however, two therapod figures that merely can be mistaken as identical figures and in general the same genus in life. Again, never said it was a bad pose. I just dislike how PNSO gave said two therapods a very similar pose.

Yes there will be collectors like you who acquire both. However, there are those like myself who will notice these key similarities resulting in only purchasing one out of two. Less money for PNSO... Not only that but I've noticed others still refraining from having more than one of this family type already...

It is why I praise the Zhuchengtyrannus so high. Striking and unique pose...

Fembrogon

How about some more Mungo pics?
Hanging out with some theropod buddies:

Prehistory Resurrection

Sim

Quote from: Bread on March 31, 2023, 05:15:58 PM
Quote from: Sim on March 31, 2023, 04:10:16 PM

Yes, they are different, very subtle differences; however, two therapod figures that merely can be mistaken as identical figures and in general the same genus in life. Again, never said it was a bad pose. I just dislike how PNSO gave said two therapods a very similar pose.

Yes there will be collectors like you who acquire both. However, there are those like myself who will notice these key similarities resulting in only purchasing one out of two. Less money for PNSO... Not only that but I've noticed others still refraining from having more than one of this family type already...

It is why I praise the Zhuchengtyrannus so high. Striking and unique pose...

The differences are more than very subtle.  They are clearly different ambulating poses.  In the video posted above the reviewer even comments on how different the Mapu's pose is.
It's true the two can be mistaken as representing the same or either genus.  However they can clearly be seen as being different figures.

It's fine if you don't like the chosen pose, but not everyone feels the same way as you and PNSO didn't do anything wrong with the pose they chose.

stargatedalek

I for one would have rather they all had that lovely electric blue colourscheme, then they could optionally be used as different individuals of the same species like with the Rex's.

Faelrin

Honestly I'm impressed how the whole group stands out from one another. I think Meraxes might be my favorite other then the Acrocanthosaurus. Just because of that sweet blue striped coloration. They are all stunning figures though.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Bread

Quote from: Sim on March 31, 2023, 08:20:31 PMThe differences are more than very subtle.  They are clearly different ambulating poses.  In the video posted above the reviewer even comments on how different the Mapu's pose is.
It's true the two can be mistaken as representing the same or either genus.  However they can clearly be seen as being different figures.

It's fine if you don't like the chosen pose, but not everyone feels the same way as you and PNSO didn't do anything wrong with the pose they chose.
Seeing the review makes it more clear that they are different figures; however it still makes it clear to me that they're still too similar to purchase both.

I never said everyone or anyone agrees with my opinion? If anything I put a for instance regarding possible collector's purchases, whether or not they would purchase both. Nor did I say PNSO made a bad pose or choice for this figure. My only concern/issue were their similarities, in my opinion, and only for the hope of more uncommon poses.

Sim

I found that video by Dinosdragons enjoyable to watch.  It's a nice surprise that they pronounced Giganotosaurus correctly!  I also agree with them with regards to wanting PNSO to make Ceratosaurus, Dilophosaurus and especially eudromaeosaurs!

Quote from: Bread on March 30, 2023, 10:53:13 PMAlso, I am curious to PNSO's next direction with therapods. A paper on therapod lips has just been made public. Seems like a majority of these therapods now have a blatant issue.
That is interesting to think about.  Personally, I'd like to see PNSO make an updated Wilson and some dromaeosaurids/troodontids/unenlagiids.

Sim

Quote from: stargatedalek on March 31, 2023, 08:23:10 PMI for one would have rather they all had that lovely electric blue colourscheme, then they could optionally be used as different individuals of the same species like with the Rex's.
I guess one could always use two of them as a male and female of the same species.

Quote from: Bread on March 31, 2023, 08:58:09 PMSeeing the review makes it more clear that they are different figures; however it still makes it clear to me that they're still too similar to purchase both.

I never said everyone or anyone agrees with my opinion? If anything I put a for instance regarding possible collector's purchases, whether or not they would purchase both. Nor did I say PNSO made a bad pose or choice for this figure. My only concern/issue were their similarities, in my opinion, and only for the hope of more uncommon poses.

Well, you said PNSO was lazy in effort and creativity...  That is saying PNSO made a bad pose or choice.  Also I didn't see you say anything about "possible" collector purchases?

Eatmycar

Sad it lost the blue tint, not gonna lie. If I had to, I think I'd get the Mapusaurus to stand in for Giganotosaurus if anything. I much prefer the cooler color palette than the warm colors.

I do disagree with the idea that there is such a 'limited' range of poses for dinosaurs. PNSO's own minis are quite well posed and in dynamic positions (Mei, for instance?). I don't see that translate over to the bigger figures, especially the theropods. Look, I'm not saying they should be as bold as Papo's Giganotosaurus for instance, but at least Papo's figures all have very distinct silhouettes. It doesn't help that three Carcharodontosaurs in a row all look really similar to each other.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: