News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New For 2023

Started by vampiredesign, November 28, 2022, 07:00:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidB

For me, I do believe that Haolonggood has displaced Vitae as a source of collectibles, now that the latter seems to be defunct. Vitae produced some fine figures, but I think that Haolonggood will surpass it.

Samrukia

Quote from: ceratopsian on April 09, 2023, 03:52:27 PMI see that the Tianzhenosaurus is already being offered by Model Toy Center on AliExpress.  So I imagine the other stores will have it soon enough too.

My Online Toy Store has it already! :)

Bread

Quote from: Sim on April 09, 2023, 06:33:47 PM
Quote from: Fembrogon on April 08, 2023, 09:48:30 PMIt's also not guaranteed we WON'T see any of the genera (or similar animals) on the poster in the future. The year is still young; at this rate we might see 6-8 more releases for 2023.
I wish, but I think vampiredesign said they took care of 8 paint samples, so that would leave one more species to be revealed...  I hope it's a carnivore this time.  I think Austroraptor would come out very well with Haolonggood's style of painting.

Interesting. I honestly hope for another herbivore. If it ain't broke, don't fix it type of scenario in my opinion. We've seen their past therapods, their herbivores surpass them by miles.

With their reveals simultaneously close to one another, I'll simply wait for the fourth figure to revealed so they can be packed together. V @vampiredesign any comments regarding this to be true?

Lynx

We got a Ceratopsian, a Hadrosaur, and a Ankylosaur, I'm guessing a sauropod or stegosaurid.
An oversized house cat.

DinoFan2010

That Ourano is amazing despite the elephant (iguanodont?) in the room, and the Nasuto is incredible. Haolonggood is an excellent model company!

___🦕 🦕 🦖_________

postsaurischian

Quote from: Lynx on April 10, 2023, 01:52:15 PMWe got a Ceratopsian, a Hadrosaur, and a Ankylosaur, I'm guessing a sauropod or stegosaurid.

Well, if it was a hadrosaur then the hands would be correct :) .

Lynx

Quote from: postsaurischian on April 10, 2023, 03:16:54 PM
Quote from: Lynx on April 10, 2023, 01:52:15 PMWe got a Ceratopsian, a Hadrosaur, and a Ankylosaur, I'm guessing a sauropod or stegosaurid.

what does the hands have to due with the statement you quoted
An oversized house cat.

Samrukia

Quote from: erlectric on April 10, 2023, 01:08:38 PM
Quote from: ceratopsian on April 09, 2023, 03:52:27 PMI see that the Tianzhenosaurus is already being offered by Model Toy Center on AliExpress.  So I imagine the other stores will have it soon enough too.

acquired the green (cyan) version. diffirentiates from Sede and reminds me Prehistoric Planet Ankylosaurus

Flaffy

Quote from: Lynx on April 10, 2023, 03:21:09 PM

The fact that Ouranosaurus isn't a hadrosaur...?

Lynx

Quote from: Flaffy on April 10, 2023, 03:26:42 PM

oh yeah, I'm aware, just forgot how to spell the correct term.
An oversized house cat.

JimoAi

Quote from: erlectric on April 10, 2023, 03:23:18 PM

acquired the green (cyan) version. diffirentiates from Sede and reminds me Prehistoric Planet Ankylosaurus
there wasn't an Ankylosaurus?

Samrukia

Quote from: JimoAi on April 10, 2023, 03:28:58 PM
Quote from: erlectric on April 10, 2023, 03:23:18 PM

there wasn't an Ankylosaurus?

the one eating charcoal after the forest fire

postsaurischian

Quote from: Lynx on April 10, 2023, 03:27:19 PM

Sorry, I was just joking. The correct term might be ornithopod...?

Bread

Quote from: Lynx on April 10, 2023, 03:27:19 PM

The species is closely related to Iguanodon, given the thumb spike, which is missing from this model.

I understood your point enough to agree that there shouldn't be a Hadrosaur made due to the Ouranosaurus being produced, even though it isn't a hadrosaur.

ItsTwentyBelow

Received my red Ouranosaurus and am greatly impressed with it overall. My first from this company. The hands lacking the small (notably smaller than on Iguanodon) thumb spikes doesn't phase me, as the hands are otherwise hadrosauriform. The paint and finish on this thing are SO lifelike, I must have more! The colors appear as part of the figure rather than obvious layers of paint, much like the nice finish on most PNSO figures. This is one department where Vitae was lacking; their paint finishes, especially on the Tiantaosaurus, were more like Battat in quality. A little more crude looking and toy-ish.

Excellent to see that cool Tianzhenosaurus, and that it's already available. Probably going to get that green color, but was hoping they would price it a dollar or two less since it is a smaller figure than Ouranosaurus and Nasutoceratops. Oh well. I'm also fine displaying this as a 1:35 scale figure, since the holotype remains almost surely don't represent the largest attainable size for this animal. Haolonggood has certainly become one to watch!

Sim

Quote from: Bread on April 10, 2023, 01:50:15 PMInteresting. I honestly hope for another herbivore. If it ain't broke, don't fix it type of scenario in my opinion. We've seen their past therapods, their herbivores surpass them by miles.
I think Haolonggood's best figure is still their Carcharodontosaurus, a carnivore.  I think I would be very happy with a Kentrosaurus from Haolonggood though!

Fembrogon

I would agree that the Carcharodontosaurus is probably Haolonggood's best release so far, even if by a close margin; however, none of their other theropods so far seem to have matched it. The herbivores being released appear more consistent in quality. A Kentrosaurus would definitely be welcome, especially as a companion to the Dicraeosaurus.

I would still like to see more theropods, though, in addition to sauropods and ornithiscians. There are plenty of interesting theropods still wanting for more good figure options, and I have faith in Haolonggood to keep delivering better figures. How about some maniraptors or Triassic/Early Jurassic genera?

Halichoeres

The Carcharodontosaurus was when they were still collaborating with GR Toys. Certainly the theropods since then don't measure up. I'm sure they could improve them, but for now I'm happy to see them make ornithischians while other companies are so focused on theropods.

I also think we tend to grade herbivores on a curve; certainly I do. It's impossible to turn around on the forum without colliding with a disquisition on claw length, or tooth position, or quadrate angle, of a predatory theropod. Herbivores don't get nearly the same scrutiny, nor the same effort from manufacturers, so collectively we know more about the carnivores even if we're not really trying. I think that translates into being less forgiving on theropods, so that even with eleventy kajillion T. rex figures a whole bunch of people lament that there isn't a definitive one (there never will be, either).
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Sim

I don't know about that, I think Safari or PNSO could make a definitive Tyrannosaurus.

Dusty Wren

Quote from: Sim on April 10, 2023, 08:38:12 PMI don't know about that, I think Safari or PNSO could make a definitive Tyrannosaurus.

The point is that every person has a different definition of "definitive." A figure could be perfectly scientifically accurate (whatever that even means for an animal that no human has ever laid eyes on) and still not be "definitive" for someone if they don't like the color, or the pose, or the scale that it's in, or the articulated jaw, or whatever. It might not be definitive if it costs too much, or if it's made out of resin instead of PVC.

"Definitive" is not an objective measure. It's a combination of a lot of personal preferences.
Check out my customs thread!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: