News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd: New for 2023

Started by Renecito, January 23, 2023, 03:00:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

I just noticed that Safari is releasing their new Utahraptor 30 years after it was named.  I can't think of a better way to celebrate it. :)

suspsy

Safari just revealed a leopard gecko for the IC subline. I assume that is their only reveal for this month, though. :-\
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Shane

Quote from: suspsy on April 28, 2023, 01:44:58 PMSafari just revealed a leopard gecko for the IC subline. I assume that is their only reveal for this month, though. :-\

It's the only reveal for April, but I believe there will be multiple reveals in May..

Fembrogon

It's a pretty great-looking gecko, so no complaints here. Safari's new releases can't ALL be prehistoric anyway!

Thanks for the tip, S @Shane; I'll be looking forward to the coming month, then.

suspsy

I hope one of the reveals next month is a bull Asian elephant.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Saarlooswolfhound

Quote from: Shane on April 28, 2023, 02:11:24 PM
Quote from: suspsy on April 28, 2023, 01:44:58 PMSafari just revealed a leopard gecko for the IC subline. I assume that is their only reveal for this month, though. :-\

It's the only reveal for April, but I believe there will be multiple reveals in May..

That is exciting news!

Concavenator

Quote from: Shane on April 28, 2023, 02:11:24 PM

Hmm... does that include prehistorics?  ;)

Halichoeres

Quote from: Fembrogon on April 28, 2023, 05:22:44 PMSafari's new releases can't ALL be prehistoric anyway!

I don't see why not!  >:(  >:(  >:(
(kidding, of course. Sometimes I'll buy an extant fish...)

My birthday is in May, so naturally I expect a new release specifically for me.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Blade-of-the-Moon

I'll pickup one of the Leopard Geckos. I think these replicas are a great way to get kids a pet that they really don't need to have. Same goes for the bearded dragon. Would be cool to have a Savannah Monitor too, but quite a bit larger.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: Halichoeres on April 30, 2023, 08:02:57 PM
Quote from: Fembrogon on April 28, 2023, 05:22:44 PMSafari's new releases can't ALL be prehistoric anyway!

What about an extant "prehistoric" fish? It's about time Safari made a gar or a paddlefish.  ;)
I'd enjoy large figures of each, but some sort of freshwater fish toob that included those two would be even better.

Flaffy

Quote from: Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews) on May 01, 2023, 04:09:50 AM

What about an extant "prehistoric" fish? It's about time Safari made a gar or a paddlefish.  ;)
I'd enjoy large figures of each, but some sort of freshwater fish toob that included those two would be even better.

Been waiting on a good Paddlefish figure for AGES! Every since Kaiyodo announced (and cancelled) theirs, I've always wanted someone else to step up and make this incredibly unique fish. Bonus points if both Chinese and American Paddlefish are produced ;)

Fembrogon

I don't normally collect fish, but I would definitely consider a paddlefish. It's such a delightfully weird-looking animal I'd like to think it would be a good seller, too.

Thinking of other fish, I think I'd enjoy seeing Safari's take on a wobbegong shark or a cookiecutter shark. If we're talking extant prehistoric creatures on a broader scale, how about a tuatara?

Saarlooswolfhound

These are all great ideas! I had a species of paddlefish "local" to me in my home state of Idaho. I would love some sort of "prehistoric" themed extant fish fish toob OR series (whether it be their IC line proper, or a specialty line like their Marsh Education series). Maybe even a "recently" extinct series too with animals like the auk, thylacine, passenger pigeon, carolina parakeet, bluebuck, elephant bird... there would be lots of great possibilities.

BlueKrono

It's like the DTF and ATF have switched right now.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

SBell

Quote from: Saarlooswolfhound on May 01, 2023, 05:57:53 AMThese are all great ideas! I had a species of paddlefish "local" to me in my home state of Idaho. I would love some sort of "prehistoric" themed extant fish fish toob OR series (whether it be their IC line proper, or a specialty line like their Marsh Education series). Maybe even a "recently" extinct series too with animals like the auk, thylacine, passenger pigeon, carolina parakeet, bluebuck, elephant bird... there would be lots of great possibilities.
Quote from: Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews) on May 01, 2023, 04:09:50 AM

Twice now we've lost out on bowfin and paddlefish from ReplicaToyFish/ToyFishFactory. Never sure why they don't happen.
(Saying that, I have several of both myself).

Safari could do an excellent American river giants toob that would include most of these guys. But again, never happens.
Maybe someday Colorata will do a second 'fossil' fish box

Gwangi

I would prefer standard size "prehistoric" fish. Most of them are large species. But I would settle for a TOOB, beggars can't be choosers. It is somewhat bizarre that Safari has not been commissioned to tackled any of these uniquely American fish before.

Flaffy

Quote from: Gwangi on May 02, 2023, 10:40:34 PMI would prefer standard size "prehistoric" fish. Most of them are large species. But I would settle for a TOOB, beggars can't be choosers. It is somewhat bizarre that Safari has not been commissioned to tackled any of these uniquely American fish before.

Indeed. Like even IF you're not interested in fish (which I find completely ridiculous ;D ), I'm sure a Paddlefish would be plenty bizarre and unique enough to warrant a good amount of sales. I hear that it's a popular sport fish as well in the US.

Safari's already produced a "Great Lakes" Toob (even though it has fewer aquatic animals than I'd like), so why not a "Major Rivers" Toob as well? Plenty of cool creatures endemic to the Mississippi river ripe for the picking.

Gwangi

Lots of TOOB potential for American fishes; Rivers Monsters, Freshwater Sportfish, Darters, Prehistoric Fish. Since Safari is pretty much the only American toy animal company it kind of befalls them to do what companies like CollectA or Schelich won't. But they also have to make money. It's a sad fact that so many native animals are so unpopular. But Safari does an admirable job, as indicated by their Marsh Education set and the Tennessee Aquarium Salamander set.

SBell

Quote from: Gwangi on May 03, 2023, 12:02:45 AMLots of TOOB potential for American fishes; Rivers Monsters, Freshwater Sportfish, Darters, Prehistoric Fish. Since Safari is pretty much the only American toy animal company it kind of befalls them to do what companies like CollectA or Schelich won't. But they also have to make money. It's a sad fact that so many native animals are so unpopular. But Safari does an admirable job, as indicated by their Marsh Education set and the Tennessee Aquarium Salamander set.

The Marsh Education was commissioned using an outreach grant.

And based on what I know, the commissioned runs are not cheap and require large numbers

Shane

Quote from: SBell on May 03, 2023, 01:15:12 AMThe Marsh Education was commissioned using an outreach grant.

And based on what I know, the commissioned runs are not cheap and require large numbers

Correct, there are minimum qtys that need to be hit, and they typically reorder when they have the available funds.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: