News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mattel - New for 2023

Started by Faelrin, August 27, 2022, 10:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eatmycar

For all of the effort McFarlane put into Avatar, they half ass other IPs. Doom has has an abysmal action figure range under them - a bunch of unnecessary Doom Slayer redecos/poses, no monsters, and only one fully new mold - the '93 Doom Marine.

No accessories other than the Doom Eternal shotgun, no monsters, no nothing. Just because one company does one IP well doesn't mean they'd do another justice. Again, see Hasbro's treatment of Jurassic versus GI Joe.

Carnoking

Quote from: Gwangi on May 03, 2023, 12:10:16 AMThat Junior T. rex is disappointing, and since I have Kenner's I may skip this one. The promotional images had me loving it.

There's nothing wrong with wanting a better product but just complaining about it on social media and still buying the thing won't do it. I see A LOT of people still buying these products that they're so disappointed in, which I really don't understand. I don't like the JP3 raptors so I'm not buying them. I don't like the baby Stegosaurus so I'm not buying it. Etcetera, etcetera.

FOMO is probably a big part of it for many collectors given the relatively truncated shelf life of these HC figures when compared to the likes of the mainline. It certainly is for me anyway!

Faelrin

avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi I do agree with you on that. In fact the only Mattel things I've bought this year is the new Herrersaurus resculpt, the HC Concavenator, and some minis. That's ignoring my current situation, and distribution issues, but I've also been feeling pretty indescive about a lot of their offerings this year. Or some of what I want I feel I can sit on, like the Diabloceratops, etc. Others like the Borealopelta and Corythosaurus are not out yet, but I do want them. In any case I've largely put my money where my mouth is.

But this baby T. rex and Stegosaurus I'm mixed on. Paint apps are looking worse on the baby T. rex from the prototype pics (no idea why, as most have been fairly consistent as of late), but the sculpt is still much better then the Legacy one (or even the Amber Collection one I think?). While it would be ideal for it to be more accurate in the first place, a repaint would fix that, and I did buy supplies for doing that a bit ago (in storage now but still). The baby Stegosaurus I want to wait for a review on. Not a fan of the sudden change from brown to that bright yellow, but maybe it will look better out of the box and/or in natural lighting. Will need to wait and see. The main body coloring is more accurate on the HC figure then the Legacy one, and the porportions look a bit better too (smaller head). That said not sure I need it either since I did buy the Legacy one last year (on sale, but still), and I do quite like it despite not being fully film accurate. It does pair well with Bumpy and the baby Brachiosaurus at least.

Anyways a big issue for folks is the lack of alternatives on the market, short of indie projects that sell out instantly like from Marco Makes. And FOMO as avatar_Carnoking @Carnoking pointed out. I'm trying not to be a victim to that anymore though. But it's why the JPIII raptors being poorly done frustrated me so much, as the only real altenatives are the too big in scale retired Rebor ones (which aren't action figures anyways), or the old Hasbro ones (like the female in my collection that was sold alongside the Raptor Attack playset I got on ebay years back). The JPIII male is tied for my favorite JP raptor design alongside the Tiger striped male (which I think the savage strike figure released in 2021 works nicely as) so it really bugs me there hasn't been a real good option for that one (and combined with waiting since 2018 after the Legacy one got canceled). The HC might be the closest we have for now, as far as scale and paint apps go (well much more simplified then the Amber Collection one, but smaller and half the price) but the iffy head sculpt (and oversized feet) still disappoints me and holds it back from being better. I can definitely see why people shelled out for those custom fanmade replacement parts, for a better end result, but that's not ideal for me or lots of other folks.

E @Eatmycar That's a good point. I wonder if it could be a matter of different teams too? No idea how it goes over there.

Edit: Hey I just found a review of the HC Corythosaurus, for anyone curious. No idea how they got this so early. Edit: They also have some videos with the other Wave 2 medium HC figures, the Super Colossal Indoraptor, and the new Legaacy buck T. rex. Figured I'd mention it for anyone curious.

It looks to have the correct number of digits on the feet compared with the earlier HC Parasaurolophus, at least from what I can tell. Hands still seem to be the same five digits as before though. The head looks to be a bit too wide, but not like the "just ate bees" look of the Parasaurolophus. Coloration is looking pretty nice too. Close enough for what it is. I mean for our first ever proper Jurassic Park Corythosaurus toy this is incredible. For all I gripe about the HC, I'll give them credit where its due for doing justice for this one at least.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Camzilla94

A couple targets near me finally got the HC Conca and Pachy. Took them up front and turns out they were already on clearance too.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Camzilla94 on May 03, 2023, 06:48:02 AMA couple targets near me finally got the HC Conca and Pachy. Took them up front and turns out they were already on clearance too.

The Anky and Geosternbergia are on sale as well and a lot of roaravores or whatever they go by now. You can also pick them up on Amazon.

DinoFan2010

Inbox photo of one of the Fierce Changer Eggs, called Hidden Hatchers.
Velociraptor "Blue"

Also, New JP30 Tubbz have been Announced and are up for preorder!
Robert Mulduck, Dilophoquacker, and Velocimallard
I love Mulduck's vacant expression

___🦕 🦕 🦖_________

Gwangi

I hate how much I like the Dilophosaurus duck.  :P

Blade-of-the-Moon

BBTS is about to ship their HC Irritator, Metri, and Corythosaurus according to the email I received.

MLMjp

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 04, 2023, 03:38:43 PMBBTS is about to ship their HC Irritator, Metri, and Corythosaurus according to the email I received.
But they just put them up for pre-order! I literally ordered the Corytho yesterday!

Pd: I also got that email...

Eocarcharia

Quote from: Camzilla94 on May 03, 2023, 06:48:02 AMA couple targets near me finally got the HC Conca and Pachy. Took them up front and turns out they were already on clearance too.
Thanks for the tip! Stopped by one of my local Targets today and snagged the only Pachycephalosaurus for 30% off ($10.49). They also had 4 Concavenators at the same discount ($15.39). Gonna wait and see if that one goes lower before buying.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: MLMjp on May 04, 2023, 04:19:03 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 04, 2023, 03:38:43 PMBBTS is about to ship their HC Irritator, Metri, and Corythosaurus according to the email I received.
But they just put them up for pre-order! I literally ordered the Corytho yesterday!

Pd: I also got that email...

EE also put all three up for preorder but they have a release date of July.  Of course you can get free shipping there if you can wait a couple months.  I prefer Amazon but they seem to always sell out too fast.

Amazon just canceled my preorder for the Edaphosaurus I ordered last year, and yet they are on there from others for 26.00..

Faelrin

I grabbed the Anky on sale the other day. I know I should be saving my money up on my cards (especially after just paying it), but a good deal like that wasn't something to pass up. Pretty much the only birthday present I'll get too other then the extra early BotM FC Medusaceratops my mother surprise gifted me with, which is fine honestly.

MLMjp

What is going on with BigBadToyStore these days? They put the HC medium sized dinos for preorder and then they had them in stock two days later. The smaller ones and the humans have an estimated arrival date of JULY, and I just got an email telling me I have been charged for the baby Stegosaurus (and its sitting on my pile of loot).

What happened with always getting the stuff late, BBTS?

PD: I know it sound weird to complain about getting stuff earlier, but I have my collecting expenses planned...thankfully this was a small one...

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: MLMjp on May 08, 2023, 01:55:11 PMWhat is going on with BigBadToyStore these days? They put the HC medium sized dinos for preorder and then they had them in stock two days later. The smaller ones and the humans have an estimated arrival date of JULY, and I just got an email telling me I have been charged for the baby Stegosaurus (and its sitting on my pile of loot).

PD: I know it sound weird to complain about getting stuff earlier, but I have my collecting expenses planned...thankfully this was a small one...

BBTS usually beats EE and Amazon ( usually) but they are the most expensive of the three. Not sure how they do it though.

Faelrin

avatar_MLMjp @MLMjp Entertainment Earth got the baby Stegosaurus in early too. I had to cancel the pre-order I made since it took me off guard and I didn't have the funds for it. Granted I kind of want to wait for an in hand review now anyways, since the in box version is different from the prototyoe pics.

I hope the Corythosaurus isn't available until July. I need time to save up, after giving what I had for my family to use for gas money.

avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon Wouldn't Entertainment Earth be more expensive overall because of the higher shipping rates? BBTS is typically $4 shipping.

MLMjp

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 08, 2023, 03:25:07 PM
Quote from: MLMjp on May 08, 2023, 01:55:11 PMWhat is going on with BigBadToyStore these days? They put the HC medium sized dinos for preorder and then they had them in stock two days later. The smaller ones and the humans have an estimated arrival date of JULY, and I just got an email telling me I have been charged for the baby Stegosaurus (and its sitting on my pile of loot).

BBTS usually beats EE and Amazon ( usually) but they are the most expensive of the three. Not sure how they do it though.
Quote from: Faelrin on May 08, 2023, 03:27:18 PMavatar_MLMjp @MLMjp Entertainment Earth got the baby Stegosaurus in early too. I had to cancel the pre-order I made since it took me off guard and I didn't have the funds for it. Granted I kind of want to wait for an in hand review now anyways, since the in box version is different from the prototyoe pics.

I hope the Corythosaurus isn't available until July. I need time to save up, after giving what I had for my family to use for gas money.

avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon Wouldn't Entertainment Earth be more expensive overall because of the higher shipping rates? BBTS is typically $4 shipping.
The international shipping costs of EE make BBTS a cheaper option in my case. My Corythosaurus is currently in my BBTS pile of loot, like I said, I preordered it and two days later it was in stock. Im waiting for later to ship it alongside the baby Stego.

DinoFan2010

I went to a WalMart in Milledgeville, GA and saw two of the Epic Attack Carnos. Everything else was Dominion crap, and my local WalMart doesn't even have any new stuff.

___🦕 🦕 🦖_________

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Faelrin on May 08, 2023, 03:27:18 PMavatar_MLMjp @MLMjp Entertainment Earth got the baby Stegosaurus in early too. I had to cancel the pre-order I made since it took me off guard and I didn't have the funds for it. Granted I kind of want to wait for an in hand review now anyways, since the in box version is different from the prototyoe pics.

avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon Wouldn't Entertainment Earth be more expensive overall because of the higher shipping rates? BBTS is typically $4 shipping.

EE has a new thing hey started last year, spend 59.00 on an order and get free super saver shipping. So nothing is better than 4.00 or BBTS's sometimes markups on items.  I shifted a lot of my preorders over to EE, take a bit longer but I save money.

Tecovas

Does anyone else find it strange how Mattel hasn't released any other Giganotosaurus figures? There's a million different rexes.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: