News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO : New for 2023

Started by Renecito, February 08, 2023, 12:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidB

Quote from: Concavenator on April 22, 2023, 06:38:04 PM
Quote from: suspsy on April 22, 2023, 03:40:22 PMI'm sure Topaz the Tyrannotitan will be revealed any day now!
even extaordinary

Please don't tell me that.
While I definitely feel the same way, on the other hand, one has to admit that this run of carcharidontosaurids has been extraordinary. Hopefully the next one will really distinguish itself in some obvious way, such as color or pose, that still remains plausible.

Concavenator

Quote from: SidB on April 22, 2023, 08:10:46 PM
Quote from: suspsy on April 22, 2023, 03:40:22 PMI'm sure Topaz the Tyrannotitan will be revealed any day now!
even extaordinary

While I definitely feel the same way, on the other hand, one has to admit that this run of carcharidontosaurids has been extraordinary. Hopefully the next one will really distinguish itself in some obvious way, such as color or pose, that still remains plausible.

I said this back when the Siam*saurus was released, but I don't think we should be surprised by these new releases being good-looking figures. It's PNSO after all.

That said, is it really necessary for them to focus this much on a family that doesn't even have a lot of well-known members? The most remarkable carcharodontosaurids when judged on a fossil material completeness basis are Concavenator, Acrocanthosaurus and Meraxes. Giganotosaurus maybe, though current reconstructions consider Meraxes for it too... We've got all of those now except a (large) Concavenator. And the last 3 releases look so similar to each other because, aside from being very closely related animals, Giganotosaurus and Mapusaurus are based on Meraxes itself. So in summary, the Meraxes really is the highlight here (its colour indicates that too  ;) ), from my perspective anyways.

It would be nice if they started exploring other groups now, every single release since that spinosaurid back in August 2022 have been theropods. But hey, if they're still gonna be making theropods, let them be relevant ones at least! Hopefully some that don't have a good figure on the market yet. And if we're to choose, if they feel the urge to release yet another carcharodontosaurid, let it be a Concavenator instead of anything else, even if there are good options already, a feathered one would be way more worthy in my eyes than another fragmentary taxon. I actually expected them to release it right after the Meraxes, I didn't expect them to consider Mapusaurus. So with that one being released already, I predict we'll be seeing a Concavenator next.

But at the end of the day they're probably doing this because these are good sellers. If they make a Tyrannotitan, I bet some people will buy it just because of the (funny) name and without having a clue of what the creature is, like avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres previously said. But hey, carcharodontosaurid completists are surely overjoyed now, so there's that.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Jose S.M. on April 21, 2023, 02:43:39 PMI also wonder why they haven't made any dromeosaurs. Maybe it's the scale? Although the bigger ones like Utahraptor are almost as long as some species hey have made.

I think that's possible. The last two or three years or so they've made almost exclusively things around 1:30 or so. Some of the ceratopsians were a bit bigger, one of the hadrosaurs a bit smaller, but there hasn't been anything around the 1:10 or 1:15 where you'd expect most dromaeosaurids at the typical size of a PNSO Prehistoric Animals or Museum Line release.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

TheImmortalEye

Quote from: Halichoeres on April 23, 2023, 01:28:11 AM
Quote from: Jose S.M. on April 21, 2023, 02:43:39 PMI also wonder why they haven't made any dromeosaurs. Maybe it's the scale? Although the bigger ones like Utahraptor are almost as long as some species hey have made.

I think that's possible. The last two or three years or so they've made almost exclusively things around 1:30 or so. Some of the ceratopsians were a bit bigger, one of the hadrosaurs a bit smaller, but there hasn't been anything around the 1:10 or 1:15 where you'd expect most dromaeosaurids at the typical size of a PNSO Prehistoric Animals or Museum Line release.

i rly dont wanna be that guy , but they havent kept their scale perfectly .
Quanzhosaurus is a solid 1:25-26 def not 1: 35, with its scale animals like utahraptor are def possible ( even if then as small as nanotyrannus)
Therizinosaurus is debatable with fragmentary remains
new spino is 1:45-1:50
older ones were often " fit the box" ones like pachyrhinosaurus, recently they adopted and kept by 1:35

Halichoeres

Quote from: TheImmortalEye on April 24, 2023, 07:57:40 AM
Quote from: Halichoeres on April 23, 2023, 01:28:11 AM

i rly dont wanna be that guy , but they havent kept their scale perfectly .
Quanzhosaurus is a solid 1:25-26 def not 1: 35, with its scale animals like utahraptor are def possible ( even if then as small as nanotyrannus)
Therizinosaurus is debatable with fragmentary remains
new spino is 1:45-1:50
older ones were often " fit the box" ones like pachyrhinosaurus, recently they adopted and kept by 1:35

What I'm saying is that they've stayed in a relatively narrow range for the last few years. The Tsintaosaurus was one of the smallest-scale figures at about 1:40, and some of the ceratopsians were closer to 1:25, but we're talking about a 25% deviation in size in either direction. They used to occasionally drop in things like the Microraptor (1:6) or Atopodentatus (1:10), but that was like 40 releases ago. Like other companies, nearly all of their "1:35" figures are larger than that, but the last few dozen figures have been mostly close enough to 1:30 to not look wildly out of place together.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Quiversaurus

Quote from: Concavenator on April 22, 2023, 09:52:10 PM
Quote from: SidB on April 22, 2023, 08:10:46 PM
even extaordinary

I said this back when the Siam*saurus was released, but I don't think we should be surprised by these new releases being good-looking figures. It's PNSO after all.

That said, is it really necessary for them to focus this much on a family that doesn't even have a lot of well-known members? The most remarkable carcharodontosaurids when judged on a fossil material completeness basis are Concavenator, Acrocanthosaurus and Meraxes. Giganotosaurus maybe, though current reconstructions consider Meraxes for it too... We've got all of those now except a (large) Concavenator. And the last 3 releases look so similar to each other because, aside from being very closely related animals, Giganotosaurus and Mapusaurus are based on Meraxes itself. So in summary, the Meraxes really is the highlight here (its colour indicates that too  ;) ), from my perspective anyways.

It would be nice if they started exploring other groups now, every single release since that spinosaurid back in August 2022 have been theropods. But hey, if they're still gonna be making theropods, let them be relevant ones at least! Hopefully some that don't have a good figure on the market yet. And if we're to choose, if they feel the urge to release yet another carcharodontosaurid, let it be a Concavenator instead of anything else, even if there are good options already, a feathered one would be way more worthy in my eyes than another fragmentary taxon. I actually expected them to release it right after the Meraxes, I didn't expect them to consider Mapusaurus. So with that one being released already, I predict we'll be seeing a Concavenator next.

But at the end of the day they're probably doing this because these are good sellers. If they make a Tyrannotitan, I bet some people will buy it just because of the (funny) name and without having a clue of what the creature is, like avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres previously said. But hey, carcharodontosaurid completists are surely overjoyed now, so there's that.

I enjoyed reading this, especially the part about carcharo fossil material based on completeness. I never knew Concavenator was one of the more complete species! (Great breakdown coming from a user called Concavenator *wink*)

It would be nice to have a non-theropod species next though, looking forward to it. Time to step up PNSO, Haolonggood is hot on your heels.

Though I wonder what having a new CEO might mean - I hope nothing bad...

Flaffy

avatar_Everything_Dinosaur @Everything_Dinosaur has all 3 of the newest PNSO Carcharodontosaurids in stock!

I'm definitely getting the Meraxes, but I'm debating between the Mapusaurus and Giganotosaurus... Getting both is an option, but the two seem so similar that I feel getting both might be a bit excessive? Like is Lucas *really* that much better than his regular line counterparts that justifies the mark-up?

Sim

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy, I got the Giganotosaurus and Mapusaurus yesterday and I'm happy with both, although I prefer the Giganotosaurus.  The Mapusaurus is gnarlier than the Giganotosaurus and when its mouth is closed you can still see some of the pink connective tissue.  The Giganotosaurus is higher quality I feel, although the Mapusaurus is high quality too.

oscars_dinos

Although these times where PNSO takes their time to release any figures are good on the wallet and allow me to catch up on figures I don't have (still saving for the carcharodontosaurus) I must say... I miss waking up and seeing a new PNSO figure :(

Remko

Quote from: imnewhere on May 04, 2023, 06:41:27 PMAlthough these times where PNSO takes their time to release any figures are good on the wallet and allow me to catch up on figures I don't have (still saving for the carcharodontosaurus) I must say... I miss waking up and seeing a new PNSO figure :(

Was just about to say this as well. It has been way too long for another PNSO release...  :(

Flaffy

Quote from: Sim on May 04, 2023, 05:54:23 PMavatar_Flaffy @Flaffy, I got the Giganotosaurus and Mapusaurus yesterday and I'm happy with both, although I prefer the Giganotosaurus.  The Mapusaurus is gnarlier than the Giganotosaurus and when its mouth is closed you can still see some of the pink connective tissue.  The Giganotosaurus is higher quality I feel, although the Mapusaurus is high quality too.

Would you say the Giganotosaurus has better sharper details? Or better / more precise paint apps?

Flaffy

Quote from: Remko on May 04, 2023, 06:43:34 PM
Quote from: imnewhere on May 04, 2023, 06:41:27 PMAlthough these times where PNSO takes their time to release any figures are good on the wallet and allow me to catch up on figures I don't have (still saving for the carcharodontosaurus) I must say... I miss waking up and seeing a new PNSO figure :(

Was just about to say this as well. It has been way too long for another PNSO release...  :(

I'm perfectly fine with the break. My wallet certainly needs it! ;D

Sim

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy, the details tend to be better on the Giganotosaurus, although the Mapusaurus's details are good too.  The paintjob is good on both.

Leyster

I keep reading this better detailed Giganotosaurus thing, but honestly with both in hands I can't see it. Perhaps Giganotosaurus has better teeth paint app, that's all. But perhaps it's something I couldn't see (or my own Giganotosaurus is an unlucky model, it happens)
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Sim

Comparing my copies, the Giganotosaurus's scales tend to be "crisper" than the Mapusaurus's.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Flaffy on May 04, 2023, 05:24:11 PMavatar_Everything_Dinosaur @Everything_Dinosaur has all 3 of the newest PNSO Carcharodontosaurids in stock!

I'm definitely getting the Meraxes, but I'm debating between the Mapusaurus and Giganotosaurus... Getting both is an option, but the two seem so similar that I feel getting both might be a bit excessive? Like is Lucas *really* that much better than his regular line counterparts that justifies the
Quote from: Flaffy on May 04, 2023, 05:24:11 PMavatar_Everything_Dinosaur @Everything_Dinosaur has all 3 of the newest PNSO Carcharodontosaurids in stock!

I'm definitely getting the Meraxes, but I'm debating between the Mapusaurus and Giganotosaurus... Getting both is an option, but the two seem so similar that I feel getting both might be a bit excessive? Like is Lucas *really* that much better than his regular line counterparts that justifies the mark-up?

For me Meraxes is more than enough. I can't justify buying multiple carcharodontosaurids from a single company in a single year.

TheImmortalEye

Quote from: Flaffy on May 04, 2023, 06:46:29 PM
Quote from: Sim on May 04, 2023, 05:54:23 PMavatar_Flaffy @Flaffy, I got the Giganotosaurus and Mapusaurus yesterday and I'm happy with both, although I prefer the Giganotosaurus.  The Mapusaurus is gnarlier than the Giganotosaurus and when its mouth is closed you can still see some of the pink connective tissue.  The Giganotosaurus is higher quality I feel, although the Mapusaurus is high quality too.

Would you say the Giganotosaurus has better sharper details? Or better / more precise paint apps?

the giga has a bit more attention to detail, for example my meraxes and mapu has misspainted teeth , my giga is perfect. i do only hate how fragile they all are combined with being unstable, a single 10 cm fall and all the folds on the leg have paintchips and flaking, say what you want about wilson but he could take a beating with his scales.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: TheImmortalEye on May 05, 2023, 07:10:53 AM

the giga has a bit more attention to detail, for example my meraxes and mapu has misspainted teeth , my giga is perfect. i do only hate how fragile they all are combined with being unstable, a single 10 cm fall and all the folds on the leg have paintchips and flaking, say what you want about wilson but he could take a beating with his scales.

I have issues with the stands. I can't seem to find the sweet spot that allows both feet on the ground as well as using the stand as a tripod.  My Mapu just fell over on his side for no reason at all with the stand under him.   It does make one nervous about higher shelves.

ceratopsian

I had the same issue with the stand for my Meraxes.  He's not perfectly balanced - one foot is a little "off" - but I can't position the stand in such a way that it provides much support at all.

TheImmortalEye

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 05, 2023, 04:29:06 PM
Quote from: TheImmortalEye on May 05, 2023, 07:10:53 AM

I have issues with the stands. I can't seem to find the sweet spot that allows both feet on the ground as well as using the stand as a tripod.  My Mapu just fell over on his side for no reason at all with the stand under him.   It does make one nervous about higher shelves.

use sticky putty or double sided tape and put it on the standing foot ull thank me later otherwise urs will suffer falls like mine. the clear rods are cheap and barely fit between arms

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: