News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mattel - New for 2023

Started by Faelrin, August 27, 2022, 10:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

I'd say that's yet another reflection on how no other theropod will ever be able to match the popularity of Tyrannosaurus rex, no matter how hard the franchise tries to portray it as a loser.

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Faelrin

Probably because the other one just came out last year plus sold poorly I'd imagine. Not a lot of folks liked it because of that wonky feature. Pretty sure it could have been over stocked too, like the Indoraptor in 2018, at least in some areas. This year's focus also seems to be a mix of the Indominus rex and Indoraptor, which haven't had new figures since 2019, and 2018.

Suspsy also isn't wrong. Every year has had at least one or more new T. rex figures. That said I do wish for a proper one some day, such as HC, with a more film accurate head sculpt. Pyroraptor and Moros got done dirty too, the former based on earlier concept work, and no idea about the Moros but probably before ILM designed it. Might be like the Pachyrhinosaurus in 2018 that got renamed to Sinoceratops (the toy which was clearly designed before the film design was worked on, etc).

Worth noting that there is at least large fan support for Spinosaurus, and maybe even some for the Giganotosaurus now. I know there's been a lot of folks asking for a HC version for all three at least.

This year is probably the buck T. rex from TLW. Hopefully next year is the Spinosaurus, maybe Indominus and/or Giganotosaurus too. They did give us a fair share of JPIII animals this year (plus the HC Ceratosaurus from last year, and the AC Pteranodon from the year before).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Gwangi

Quote from: Tecovas on May 09, 2023, 02:55:52 PMDoes anyone else find it strange how Mattel hasn't released any other Giganotosaurus figures? There's a million different rexes.

I don't find it strange. In addition to being more popular the T. rex is also the literal poster child of the franchise and has appeared in every movie (even if not the same T. rex). At no point can you realistically expect Mattel to not have a T. rex on shelf. I think we'll get another Giga eventually though. I personally don't need one. Ugly design and a mediocre film. I don't feel the need to dedicate too much space to Dominion on my shelf. :P

Carnoking

Agreed. Nanmu's is the only Giga I really need barring an exceptional (and I do mean exceptional) HC release.
That said, I am the begrudging owner of at least one of Mattel's Gigas, but seeing as it came to me in a clearanced out Epic Battle play set, I'm not counting it as an actually purchased figure.

Gwangi

Quote from: Carnoking on May 09, 2023, 04:07:44 PMAgreed. Nanmu's is the only Giga I really need barring an exceptional (and I do mean exceptional) HC release.
That said, I am the begrudging owner of at least one of Mattel's Gigas, but seeing as it came to me in a clearanced out Epic Battle play set, I'm not counting it as an actually purchased figure.

I actually have a Giga too. The Captivz one. Thankfully it doesn't take up much space.  :P

Blade-of-the-Moon

The problem as I've seen it with making these contenders for the throne in JW is they stupidly killed the villain. Superman never kills Lex ( in most media) ditto for Batman/Joker. Villains' don't have to die, especially sympathetic ones. You just write plots to give them an out. Nothing wrong with that. In nature it happens all the time.  That's all I say on that to not get OT.

I have both Nanmu Gigas and they are the best currently. I did order the Prime 1 Giga too, the small one so far. I also have Spiral Studios huge one on order but that's it.  Mattel really made some bad versions. The SC was the first one of those I just didn't like at all.  That said kids do buy it from our shop, the SC , the regular figure with the wonky waist and even the smaller 6" line. It does have popularity.  I think if Mattel does another it needs a total resculpt. I would expect the HC one to appear eventually if the line continues. Although we need an Indominus and a Spino in that line too.

On another note, Target FINALLY shipped my Red Rex, supposed to be in Thursday. Of course this was right after it was on sale for 50% off.  I swear I feel like they are flipping off collectors some times.

Eatmycar

I want the Giga when it comes to Hammond Collection... but the design needs to be based on the final one, not the absolutely scuffed one based off of a model they didn't use in the film (those teeth in particular are disgusting).

That said, I would prefer a Dave Silva one as opposed to that kaiju. But on the other hand... BoTM may never get there. So I'll take some articulated "Giganotosaurus" over no articulated Giga.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Just got the Orkoraptor and Regaliceratops in today from Amazon. Pretty nice figures overall. Orko looks like it could be a film sculpt, fans of lips will that he has nicely done ones. Regali I thought the yellow wouldn't looks so good but I don't know..in hand it looks better?

Gwangi

Looking forward to getting the Regaliceratops, another fine ceratopsian from Mattel. The Orkoraptor mostly looks decent, the arms look really bizarre though.

Prehistory Resurrection

I've seen the comments about wanting a good screen-accurate Giganotosaurus, and yes Mattel's sculpts are a let-down. If you want a good, screen-accurate Giganotosaurus, apart from Nanmu's versions, I highly recommend this one by Wow! Stuff;
I think it's both a screen-accurate sculpt and looks like what a Hammond Collection version would look like with the articulated parts, although I don't think the Giganotosaurus has its place in the Hammond Collection line because it's cloned by Biosyn much later after the events of Jurassic Park.  It's a much better alternative than any of Mattel's offerings in my opinion.  I have it along with the T-Rex and Blue from the same line;

There's also this Wow! Pods Giganotosaurus, which from Wow! Stuff also which I highly recommend;

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Gwangi on May 10, 2023, 01:29:56 PMLooking forward to getting the Regaliceratops, another fine ceratopsian from Mattel. The Orkoraptor mostly looks decent, the arms look really bizarre though.

They are a bit oversized like the Dryptosaurus I think, then they added feathers which made them look even larger.  It's almost a Therizinosaurus look? That said I know nothing about this particular species. This toy is the first I've heard of it.  It does make a lot of nice JP Raptor noises.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Prehistory Resurrection on May 10, 2023, 01:51:57 PMI've seen the comments about wanting a good screen-accurate Giganotosaurus, and yes Mattel's sculpts are a let-down. If you want a good, screen-accurate Giganotosaurus, apart from Nanmu's version, I highly recommend this one by Wow! Stuff;
I think it's both a screen-accurate sculpt and looks like what a Hammond Collection version would look like with the articulations, although I don't think the Giganotosaurus has not it's place in the Hammond Collection line because it's cloned by Biosyn much later after the events of Jurassic Park.  It's a much better alternative to any of Mattel's offerings.  I have it along with the T-Rex and Blue from the same line;

There's also this Wow! Pods Giganotosaurus, which from Wow! Stuff also which I highly recommend;

My only real issue with these would be the size. Basically like the 6" or larger Captivz figures.

We bought some of the PODS for our shop and no one has bought them yet. Been around 2 months. I don't think people "get " them really.

Prehistory Resurrection

[/quote]

My only real issue with these would be the size. Basically like the 6" or larger Captivz figures.

We bought some of the PODS for our shop and no one has bought them yet. Been around 2 months. I don't think people "get " them really.
[/quote]
Yes, the size of these Movie Mates figures are a bugger for me; wish that they were bigger. But I think this may be due to packaging constraints, because they come with accessories to help you make your stop-motion film. But still; very nice, screen-accurate sculpts and paint job.

Quite stunned that the Pods didn't sell well at your shop. Both the Movie Mates figures and the Wow! Pods are at my local toy shop. Couldn't resist and got all three of the Movie Mates figures and a Wow! Pod T-Rex at my local toy shop. The situation is more or less the same at my local toy store with the Wow! Pods. It's quite a shame because they are very beautiful, screen accurate sculpts and make for a great piece in your collection. They look amazing when inter-locked together and make a great display.

Gwangi

Alright folks, no need to keep including all those videos in your quotes. My computer seized up because I scrolled by them faster than they could load.  ::)

Eocarcharia

Quote from: Prehistory Resurrection on May 10, 2023, 01:45:01 PM<video>
So the Metriacanthosaurus is definitively meant to represent the Jurassic Park embryo vial. The off-colors kind of make sense now; they probably made it more drab to better fit with the blander and mostly brown color schemes of the OG movie dinos (and leave open the possibility for a JW website-accurate redeco, no doubt.)

Eatmycar

The Metri seriously gives me Kenner Allosaurus vibes with the color palette in the best way possible. I'm really excited for these three and they're in the mail for me.

Faelrin

E @Eatmycar Now that you mention that, it does. That said I still do wonder what the coloration inspiration for it comes from, unless completely original. At least the Irritator coloration has basis from some JP related media.

After watching the video avatar_Prehistory Resurrection @Prehistory Resurrection shared above with the latest HC wave, I do think the baby Stegosaurus does look a tad bit better in that one out of the box/in hand pic, like the yellow looks slightly less gaudy then the promo in box pic? I do think the paint could have been blended or applied better though, but the rest of the figure still looks pretty nice to me. I'll need to see more images or reviews of this one, but I'm leaning towards getting it again (had it pre-ordered on EE but had to cancel it after it came in much earlier then expected).

I also did a bit more research and found some pics that both the final animatronic, and maquette looks like it has yellow on it, but on others it is more brown. Could definitely be lighting, etc? It will be interesting to compare it to the Legacy one, which does have brown, but the main color is too green, and the head is a bit too big proportionally. I am also surprised to see the claws on this one painted as well, which is strangely pretty hit or miss for some of the figures in this line (such as the JPIII Ankylosaurus, and JP Triceratops altogether, and the Corythosaurus, Gallimimus, Parasaurolophus, and baby T. rex hands).

Spoiler
Yellowish pics:

Brownish pics:

[close]
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Flaffy

I like how even Mattel can't justify the inclusion of Irritator in the Hammond Collection line, with it's descriptor at the back of the box being a generic excerpt.

I wish they hadn't done an articulated jaw for the juvenile Stegosaurus. They way they go about it is just so jarring and ugly. Same goes for the pachycephalosaurus.

Eatmycar

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin - those photos are a great example of why I don't get my hands twisted with Mattel using JWE as a reference for dinosaur decos as opposed to the films. Jurassic has this great (horrible) fate of having just crappy references all around of the original trilogy's animals. Depending on the color correction of the movie or the coloration of the photo, the dinosaurs look so different. It's honestly frustrating.

Sometimes people compare production statues to screenshots in the already color corrected movies or clear photos of rotting animatronics years and years later and it just seems like a foolish endeavor.

TBH I'm all for them throwing more non-canon species in at this point. God knows if/when BoTM will get to weird stuff like Irritator or Concavenator or if anyone will ever step up and do more articulated dinosaur figures.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: