You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Rebor Scientifically Accurate Tyrannosaurus rex "Kiss” and “Tusk”

Started by GojiraGuy1954, June 14, 2021, 08:28:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SenSx

Quote from: Bread on April 29, 2023, 01:39:26 PM
Quote from: SenSx on April 29, 2023, 11:35:00 AM
Quote from: SRF on April 28, 2023, 11:37:56 AMFor those who've missed it, Everythingdinosaur and other online stores now have Kiss back in stock again. 

Yes, I'm still hesitating to get it for the same reasons.
I'm afraid of the articulated jaw that does not close fully, and it would be a shame not to play with it a little...
I don't really want to count on luck for that, are there people who had one with a perfect articulated jaw ?
Are there people who got one whose jaw does not close fully but managed to fix that ?
I just ordered one from BigBadToyStore.
I am curious if there are any batch improvements with this second run. I'll let you know followed by images.

avatar_REBOR_STUDIO @REBOR_STUDIO any comments on this?

Ok thanks Bread !

It's been a problem on almost all Rebor products (except Deinosuchus for exemple)

Callophrys

Quote from: SRF on April 28, 2023, 11:37:56 AMFor those who've missed it, Everythingdinosaur and other online stores now have Kiss back in stock again. 

I've just ordered mine from Everythingdinosaur. I dithered when it first became available because of the issues with the tail joint & jaw articulation, then when I decided to get it, it was out of stock. Hopefully these issues have been corrected, but I'll see when it arrives next week.
Good communication by Everythingdinosaur BTW, informing me that it will be posted on Tuesday, after the Bank Holiday.

Over9K

I would think that if REBOR were going to spend the time and money to make changes to the production molds for Kiss/Tusk to improve tail joint and jaw articulation issues, they'd go ahead and say that pretty clearly, in the hopes that folks that already bought a flawed one might double-dip. They're not going to keep that secret.

If, and that's a big if, the restock actually means a second run, I would hope for quality to be maintained compared to the first run. How many times have we seen subsequent production runs of figures show a decline in quality, especially in the paint department? Papo's subsequent runs are notorious for having ropey paint.

SenSx

Quote from: Over9K on April 30, 2023, 04:16:16 AMI would think that if REBOR were going to spend the time and money to make changes to the production molds for Kiss/Tusk to improve tail joint and jaw articulation issues, they'd go ahead and say that pretty clearly, in the hopes that folks that already bought a flawed one might double-dip. They're not going to keep that secret.

If, and that's a big if, the restock actually means a second run, I would hope for quality to be maintained compared to the first run. How many times have we seen subsequent production runs of figures show a decline in quality, especially in the paint department? Papo's subsequent runs are notorious for having ropey paint.

Yes that is true, the decrease in paint quality happened with Rebor as well, Papo, Nanmu, PNSO...
Sometimes the change is not worse, just different: W-Dragon.

But I'm not accusing of anything considering this new Kiss batch, I just hope at lease the quality hasn't change, but I'm not holding my breath for improvements like the articulated jaw.

Bread

avatar_SenSx @SenSx Here is my Kiss that just arrived yesterday.

Now, I did open the jaw then closed it back together. So far, no teeth to be seen. But I have yet to do that again.

The tail inserted MUCH easier than the first batch. I want to note that I had 2 of the first batch, and both were a pain to insert the tail. This one from the second batch is a lot smoother, like actually noticeable. However, the seamline is still pretty noticeable and seems to sit the same way.

I don't notice any lack of quality or paint application being subpar to the first. If I were to hold up the original batch and this 2nd batch, I probably couldn't tell the slightest bit of difference.

Only issue I can see is the rubber end of the tail tip. Seems a little flimsy and I don't think it was that maneuverable.

I'll probably just end up getting this piece commissioned to have the jaw articulation sealed up, making the jaw seamless as well as the tail.

Note: I ordered this through BigBadToyStore, who are unfortunately sold out of Kiss.

Over9K

SenSx

Quote from: Bread on May 05, 2023, 04:33:35 PMavatar_SenSx @SenSx Here is my Kiss that just arrived yesterday.

Now, I did open the jaw then closed it back together. So far, no teeth to be seen. But I have yet to do that again.

The tail inserted MUCH easier than the first batch. I want to note that I had 2 of the first batch, and both were a pain to insert the tail. This one from the second batch is a lot smoother, like actually noticeable. However, the seamline is still pretty noticeable and seems to sit the same way.

I don't notice any lack of quality or paint application being subpar to the first. If I were to hold up the original batch and this 2nd batch, I probably couldn't tell the slightest bit of difference.

Only issue I can see is the rubber end of the tail tip. Seems a little flimsy and I don't think it was that maneuverable.

I'll probably just end up getting this piece commissioned to have the jaw articulation sealed up, making the jaw seamless as well as the tail.

Note: I ordered this through BigBadToyStore, who are unfortunately sold out of Kiss.

Thanks Bread, yours is absolutely perfect, you don't see the teeth even slightly from the front.
But I hope it's not just luck...

Callophrys

Quote from: Bread on May 05, 2023, 04:33:35 PMavatar_SenSx @SenSx Here is my Kiss that just arrived yesterday.

Mine arrived the same day, and I'm delighted with it! The tail went in very easily, and the seam is less obtrusive than I'd feared.

The lower jaw droops about half a millimetre when closed, and the teeth are just visible if I wear my reading glasses.

I was never a big fan of Rebor figures before this, but I may have been converted. I'm interested to see how the new Giga (lipped version) will look.

I love the amount of detail on this figure; please have a look at my Flickr page where you can see larger versions of my photos, and you can see this yourself.

Bread

Wondeful photos avatar_Callophrys @Callophrys!

Seems like you got a good copy as well. Even if the jaw drops down like yours, it is better than a majority of the communities experience with it.

Rain

'Kiss' has such a massive shelf presence, instantly catches my eye alongside PNSO's deinocheirus.

edu

Paleo Flo

Kiss is back in stock at https://modellpferdeversand.de/REBOR-160932-1-35-Tyrannosaurus-rex-KISS-Mountain-Ver-1

I'm hesitating to get it, because of EoFaunas Rex is still in the pipeline and the well-known tail- and jaw-issues
Welcome to Florassic Park...my collection:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=10638.0

edu

My copy doesn't show any sign of jaw-dropping for the moment, and the tail joint looks just fine. For the moment. I am really happy with it, it looks impressive.

Bread

Quote from: edu on May 17, 2023, 01:38:08 PMMy copy doesn't show any sign of jaw-dropping for the moment, and the tail joint looks just fine. For the moment. I am really happy with it, it looks impressive.
I can also add on that my copy is also holding up well. Seems like this second batch had some slight improvements.

I will say that the seamline is still visible but relatively fitting well on the model. My only gripe is the weird sudden color change from the hip to the tail. I wonder why this occurred?

Lynx

I've always wanted the Stegosaurus for many years, so I will likely pick it up or batch 2 of the Tyrannosaurus.
An oversized house cat.

postsaurischian

Maybe I missed this, but I didn't know REBOR's "Kiss" was based on a life-sized Tyrannosaurus model by Blue Rhino Studio.

Duna

Yes, it was. I don't like much the pose of that model, I prefer their Sue.
The sculpture ended in the Dinosauria Museum of Prague. It's pretty cool to have a figure inspired in a real figure from a museum. His name is Karl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuhcaM6Q4ew

postsaurischian

Thanks for the video avatar_Duna @Duna. I'm glad REBOR didn't use that pose and proportions :) .
 And they did a GREAT job with the head sculpt which is the icing on the cake of the figure to me.

Over9K

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: