News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO : New for 2023

Started by Renecito, February 08, 2023, 12:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carnoking

Patiently waiting for November  ;)

SidB

Not rushing forward to buy Cameron. For the first time I'm going to investigate a lip transplant for the figure.

Stegotyranno420

it's just a test to see how desperate we are to buy it.

TheImmortalEye

Quote from: BlueKrono on May 23, 2023, 09:18:41 PM
Quote from: TheImmortalEye on May 22, 2023, 03:23:04 PM
Quote from: Remko on May 22, 2023, 02:57:21 PM
Quote from: TheImmortalEye on May 22, 2023, 12:04:35 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on May 22, 2023, 11:44:49 AMI see that this one is named Cameron, not Wilson.

Because the Lingwulong also has some kind of lips and even a beak.

the lingwulong ngl makes me loose sleep at night XD . cause ur right and wrong, it does have skincovering lips and also the pseudobeak, yet they decided to have the upper teeth stick out as if its lipless....while having the beak. so jeah im no blind defender idk wtf they sometimes thinking

I just got the Lingwulong this week, and I think it's phenomenal. I'm super pumped to get a never-before-produced dicraeosaurid, and PNSO really knocked it out of the park on the detail. One of my favorites they've ever done.
never said its bad, just has a goofy grin is all.

TheImmortalEye

Medzo

Quote from: Flaffy on May 24, 2023, 01:19:07 AMAre we still excusing the sloppy teeth then based on this information? O:-) There's literally no excuse not to have a more high quality paint job with this release, considering they did so well with the Carcharodontosaur trio.

I'm sorry, but again what information? You guys are STILL saying this by a zoomed in image.

I see enough sloppiness here on which these arguments would've started the same way. The figure is like half the size in real life. With enough zoom this could be a terrible release.

SRF

I agree with avatar_Medzo @Medzo here. Also, looking at video reviews of the Giga and Mapusaurus, their teeth seem to be painted in the same way as the ones on the new Rex. Cameron's teeth are bigger, so maybe they look less subtly painted, but I don't see a real decline in quality here. Looking at the new in hand photos of the model, the paint on the rest of the figure even seems very good to me.
But today, I'm just being father

Medzo

Naturally I'm not saying that there is no sloppiness in the paint application. Surely there's a ton of room for improvement, but PNSO is clearly striving to stay ahead of the game.

I reckon painting all the teeth one by one by hand with extra care would significantly increase the production costs, so they're kind of just brushed all over in a more robotic, hurried tempo.

Still, in-hand models most of the time are quite fine and these errors are not that noticeable from a normal distance.

Flaffy

Quote from: Medzo on May 24, 2023, 07:31:58 AM
Quote from: Flaffy on May 24, 2023, 01:19:07 AMAre we still excusing the sloppy teeth then based on this information? O:-) There's literally no excuse not to have a more high quality paint job with this release, considering they did so well with the Carcharodontosaur trio.

I'm sorry, but again what information? You guys are STILL saying this by a zoomed in image.

I see enough sloppiness here on which these arguments would've started the same way. The figure is like half the size in real life. With enough zoom this could be a terrible release.

My information? The fact that I have all 3 Carcharodontosaurs in hand, and by comparing it with the new out of the box pics of Cameron, I'm perplexed as to why Cameron's teeth paint is so globose, single-toned and seemingly lacking the weathering-wash.

And again, the Giganotsaurus is "only" $60, Meraxes and Mapusaurus are both even cheaper at $43. While Cameron is all the way up to a whopping $75. Is the new rex a bad figure? No, not by a long shot. Easily the best lipless Tyrannosaur on the market (I particularly appreciate the attention to detail on the buldging muscles on the dorsal skull). But is it worth the high asking price based on everything we've seen so far? That is the big question.

Finally, I have to emphasise the "sloppiness" is all relative. The paintwork on Cameron would be considered absolutely stellar if it were on say any of the cheaper major brands. PNSO has set the bar incredibly high for themselves, and with the prices they charge their work better be up to par. So when this monumental announcement of a big new release is made; a figure that's been requested by fans ever since the gamechanging release of Winter Wilson; people rightfully so have heightened expectations.

Close-up headshots of my copies of the 3 most recent Carcharodontosaurids:
Spoiler
[close]

In-hand pics of Cameron from Baidu, courtesy of our fellow collectors in China:

From the pictures, my current opinion is that Winter Wilson still has the better paint job of the two. Especially noticeable in the weathering and drybrushing of the head region.

Loads more detail shots and comparison pics:
Spoiler

[close]

Faelrin

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy Wow the teeth paint is very poorly done for a figure that costs this much. Hope this isn't a trend going forward.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

TheImmortalEye

Quote from: Flaffy on May 24, 2023, 01:21:12 PM
Quote from: Medzo on May 24, 2023, 07:31:58 AM
Quote from: Flaffy on May 24, 2023, 01:19:07 AMAre we still excusing the sloppy teeth then based on this information? O:-) There's
[/spoiler]

thx man those pics are dope and i do think it actually made the new rex better than at first glance XD, just not 75 dollars good.

Flaffy

Quote from: SRF on May 24, 2023, 07:56:53 AMI agree with avatar_Medzo @Medzo here. Also, looking at video reviews of the Giga and Mapusaurus, their teeth seem to be painted in the same way as the ones on the new Rex. Cameron's teeth are bigger, so maybe they look less subtly painted, but I don't see a real decline in quality here. Looking at the new in hand photos of the model, the paint on the rest of the figure even seems very good to me.

IDK man, price tag aside, it's precisely because Cameron has bigger teeth (i.e. more space to work with) that I expect higher quality & more detailed paint. The jaw and teeth are Tyrannosaurus's focal points afterall, no reason not to invest more in this crucial area.

Bread

With everything that avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy has said I agree with 100%

I actually like this new Tyrannosaurus despite the lack of lips. But when a company thinks they can charge $75 for sloppiness and poor quality control, it's an instant slap in the face to collectors. PNSO knows it will sell because well it's a Tyrannosaurus.

I mean this image right here just baffles me...

The bottom jaw if it isn't obvious enough has the teeth paint bleeding into the gums.

I am not trying to be so negative even when it's a good figure plus avoiding the uproar it creates when not liking a PNSO figure, but when the price is so high for such poor quality and execution with paint work, I begin to get rather negative.

TheImmortalEye

Quote from: Bread on May 24, 2023, 02:00:16 PMWith everything that avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy has said I agree with 100%

I actually like this new Tyrannosaurus despite the lack of lips. But when a company thinks they can charge $75 for sloppiness and poor quality control, it's an instant slap in the face to collectors. PNSO knows it will sell because well it's a Tyrannosaurus.

I mean this image right here just baffles me...

The bottom jaw if it isn't obvious enough has the teeth paint bleeding into the gums.

I am not trying to be so negative even when it's a good figure plus avoiding the uproar it creates when not liking a PNSO figure, but when the price is so high for such poor quality and execution with paint work, I begin to get rather negative.

price is a big factor even if many deny it, the zhuschentyrannus is a masterpiece for its 42 dollar pricetag - but would be sloppy and sorta weak paintjobwise as a 75 dollar specimen .

Flaffy

A couple more comparison shots with other PNSO theropods. Really impressed with the sheer girth of this new rex.

SidB

Quote from: Flaffy on May 24, 2023, 02:22:42 PMA couple more comparison shots with other PNSO theropods. Really impressed with the sheer girth of this new rex.

Agreed, the girth is impressive. No doubt, with that feature and the updated scallion, it's impressive. I am very interested in getting a 'lip transplant' for this piece. Currently looking for a surgeon to perform the operation. I'm sure that it will be expensive.

Medzo

I just don't see any problems with the teeth honestly. They are the same quality previous figures had.

Lynx

This figure is really growing on me, but for 75 bucks + likely 20 dollars of shipping I'd much rather stick with my better-painted Wilson or just get a 2021 figure, sculpt looks really, really good, but again a lack of lips after a decent paper make something that I would have excused a lot more major for me.
An oversized house cat.

SRF

The girth is indeed very impressive. In other top down pictures it shows that it's almost as wide as REBORs Tusk, while still being a 1:35 figure.

I also feel this figures price tag is massive, but seeing it next to Wilson I do understand that this figure is slightly more expensive than Wilson as well.
But today, I'm just being father

Blade-of-the-Moon

I like it's bigger and more red..I like red rexes..very JP novel.  but the loss of detail, the teeth and eye paint is just so bad..

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: