News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mattel - New for 2023

Started by Faelrin, August 27, 2022, 10:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Surprised there is a review for the SC Indoraptor already, I never saw it in stock to order on Amazon and Target has no idea when it's releasing yet.

I had a major bummer, ordered something for a friend using my Amazon account for them back in March. They had fraudulent charges on their card and my account was put on hold for the one 20.00 charge. I had to pay for their order and they canceled every preorder I had.

andrewsaurus rex

I agree about Bist.  I like the torso/head sculpt, colours and quill idea.   If it had longer, more slender legs and appropriate sized feet it would be a great figure.

Eatmycar

I like the quills as some sort of display structure effect. I don't think its meant to hurt things with 'em. I'd say my biggest turn off with the figure is the eyes. They look like they just disappear in the color of the head, they don't pop nicely. Other than that, I quite like this gal's posture.

Can't wait tot get her.

Shane

Quote from: Lynx on May 18, 2023, 10:36:53 PMAs nicely as possible, the Hammond Collection just looks like a more expensive and poorer done version of the Legacy Edition, not much motivation to pick this guy up, despite how much I loved the first movie.

This is my thought. The price point is just a killer, unfortunately. I think this will be the one Hammond figure I don't get, unless it goes on major sale.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Eatmycar on May 22, 2023, 07:32:25 AMI like the quills as some sort of display structure effect. I don't think its meant to hurt things with 'em. I'd say my biggest turn off with the figure is the eyes. They look like they just disappear in the color of the head, they don't pop nicely. Other than that, I quite like this gal's posture.

Can't wait tot get her.

They do work for that and the movement is sort of the rattling/waving we've thought about in regard to Amargasaurus. To me I was just thinking about Kenner and boys toys in general, you have cool spikes your probably gonna impale something with them.. lol

I do agree on the eyes, they sort of blend in too much with the body color being a very lime/raptor like green.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I like the Nigerosaurus just wish the legs were all the same color.

Eatmycar

I keep flopping back and forth on Nigersaurus. On one hand I adore that it exists? On the other hand, I feel it easily has the most bland paint scheme out of its wavemates. The putrid Regaliceratops has more color allocated to it (again, hideous colors, but it has more) even. But I really find the sculpt to be charming.  It's not one I'm going to get for full price, that's for sure.

That said I'm glad Mattel put a ton into the Elasmosaur and Bisti's budget. Those are stellar.

Faelrin

Friend sent me this. Out of box pic of the HC Brachiosaurus. Looks fine, but would like to get a better look at the final product's head.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CsloK4MLr14/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

MLMjp

I like the Nigersaurus less and less every time I see it. Between the colors, the osteoderms and the head not looking the best, it has become unappealing to me, I wanted to add this species to the collection, but now I doubt it.

Gwangi

Quote from: Faelrin on May 23, 2023, 05:16:08 PMFriend sent me this. Out of box pic of the HC Brachiosaurus. Looks fine, but would like to get a better look at the final product's head.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CsloK4MLr14/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Skin is looking a bit loose and baggy there. Still not thrilled with it.

Faelrin

Checked my closest Best Buy while out on errands. No luck for Nothosaurus. Was told it was online only, which is a gamble. No dedicated section for any of that kind of stuff it seems. Man why is the distrubution for this one so terrible?

Is there anyone outside the US having better luck with finding one? Alternatively does anyone here have access to Fred Meyers? Not fully sure if they have it in stock online there, but they won't ship to me anyways, as I'm in PA.

I suppose it is also worth mentioning I found the Epic Attack Velociraptor and Dilophosaurus at Walmart last night. Thought they were a little better after seeing them in hand. Some of my initial criticisms are still there, but I think for what they are, electronic raptor and Dilophosaurus toys, they could have been worse (like Hasbro's 2015 attempts). I picked up both (alongside Atrociraptor Tiger) and might review them for the blog if no one else wants to do so. Both are out of scale, but not significantly so. Plus it's my birthday in 5 days and figured why not get myself a few cheap gifts.

Imgur isn't working for me atm, so I'll add the pics later.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

PrimevalRaptor

Things are not much better here in Germany, saw basically all of it's wavemates but Nothosaurus and Kronosaurus are nowhere to be found (even in a store where I got lucky and picked up Shringasaurus, Tanystropheus and Postosuchus in recent years)
Part of me feels like they got too much of the Dominion attack packs that are still on the shelves so they didn't really bother ordering much of the new ones.

Flaffy

Quote from: Faelrin on May 25, 2023, 10:58:28 PMIs there anyone outside the US having better luck with finding one? Alternatively does anyone here have access to Fred Meyers? Not fully sure if they have it in stock online there, but they won't ship to me anyways, as I'm in PA.

Took me quite a while to find the Nothosaurus as well. They were in stock briefly at local Smyths and Entertainer toy stores, but quickly went out of stock as demand was so high. Plenty of shelf warming Xuanhanosaurus and Piatnitzkysaurus though O:-) .

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Faelrin on May 23, 2023, 05:16:08 PMFriend sent me this. Out of box pic of the HC Brachiosaurus. Looks fine, but would like to get a better look at the final product's head.

Everyone is excited about how it can posed rearing up..I want to see it in that pose by itself without any support..I sorta doubt it's possible.

andrewsaurus rex

i'm looking forward to the HC Metriacanthosaurus.  Definitely picking it up after seeing out of the box pics.   Impressive looking figure.

Gwangi

I know they're not Mattel but I need to vent a little about how hard it is to find the Captivz eggs. I came across some Dominion ones recently at a Walgreens and Walmart, but their stock of them was almost gone and in the case of Walgreens once they were gone they didn't get more. I was hoping to find some JP30 or hatchling eggs so I decided to go on a dedicated egg hunt today.

I looked at the Captivz website and saw a list of places to find them. Target and Five Below were on the list but I've never seen them there and go to those stores often, so I didn't bother with those. I went to two different Family Dollars, Big Lots, and a Walmart I rarely visit. NOTHING! One Family Dollar had an empty Dominion Captivz box, and that was it. I'm frustrated and officially giving up on these damn eggs. And the Walmart also had the same tired old Mattel stuff. The only new stuff were the Epic Attack Velociraptor and Dilophosaurus. So tired of these wasted trips.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Gwangi on May 28, 2023, 01:59:55 AMI know they're not Mattel but I need to vent a little about how hard it is to find the Captivz eggs. I came across some Dominion ones recently at a Walgreens and Walmart, but their stock of them was almost gone and in the case of Walgreens once they were gone they didn't get more. I was hoping to find some JP30 or hatchling eggs so I decided to go on a dedicated egg hunt today.

I looked at the Captivz website and saw a list of places to find them. Target and Five Below were on the list but I've never seen them there and go to those stores often, so I didn't bother with those. I went to two different Family Dollars, Big Lots, and a Walmart I rarely visit. NOTHING! One Family Dollar had an empty Dominion Captivz box, and that was it. I'm frustrated and officially giving up on these damn eggs. And the Walmart also had the same tired old Mattel stuff. The only new stuff were the Epic Attack Velociraptor and Dilophosaurus. So tired of these wasted trips.

Five Below only ever had the Hatchling Captivz that I've seen. The 30th Ann. ones I've found only at Walmart and they seem to have dried up except for a few of the larger eggs. I haven't seen any of the Wave 2 pieces for that line that are turning up on eBay. 

Which Dominion ones were you looking for? I bought a quantity of the eggs but I'm about out of those. I do have a lot of open/loose figures though.

Gwangi

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 28, 2023, 05:34:55 AM
Quote from: Gwangi on May 28, 2023, 01:59:55 AMI know they're not Mattel but I need to vent a little about how hard it is to find the Captivz eggs. I came across some Dominion ones recently at a Walgreens and Walmart, but their stock of them was almost gone and in the case of Walgreens once they were gone they didn't get more. I was hoping to find some JP30 or hatchling eggs so I decided to go on a dedicated egg hunt today.

Five Below only ever had the Hatchling Captivz that I've seen. The 30th Ann. ones I've found only at Walmart and they seem to have dried up except for a few of the larger eggs. I haven't seen any of the Wave 2 pieces for that line that are turning up on eBay. 

Which Dominion ones were you looking for? I bought a quantity of the eggs but I'm about out of those. I do have a lot of open/loose figures though.

The Lystrosaurus is the only Dominion figure I really want. There are others I like too but I don't need them.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: