News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mattel - New for 2023

Started by Faelrin, August 27, 2022, 10:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimoAi

WT[redacted] did someone at Mattel fall asleep when thinking of the colour scheme of the rex and another JP raptor as if we don't have enough of those

DinoFan2010

The T.rex is... boring to say the least. I'll hold out for an HC variant.
I do enjoy the raptor cage, and I'm glad we get Muldoon and some park workers, but I don't get the glow in the dark eyes for the Raptor. Still getting, though. ::)

___🦕 🦕 🦖_________

EmperorDinobot

NGL, the Mercedes looks pretty nice. I'll probably end up paying full price just for it, and because the T.rex fills a void on my Legacy area, which was to be filled by the Extreme Damage Spinosaurus that remains unreleased, and it looks ugly.

Blade-of-the-Moon

It's about time we received JP workers and a proper Raptor Cage. I'm all over that.  I'll get one now, probably more when they clearance them or have a sale, Target ALWAYS has sales.

I do want the Mercedes and the older Malcolm figure..I think he's different from the past releases? The Rex is a waste to me. The older one looked better.  It says it has facial details to be accurate but I'm I blind or something? I can't tell any? The preorders for it sold out already anyway lol

Gwangi

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 17, 2023, 05:02:57 PMIt's about time we received JP workers and a proper Raptor Cage. I'm all over that.  I'll get one now, probably more when they clearance them or have a sale, Target ALWAYS has sales.

I do want the Mercedes and the older Malcolm figure..I think he's different from the past releases? The Rex is a waste to me. The older one looked better.  It says it has facial details to be accurate but I'm I blind or something? I can't tell any? The preorders for it sold out already anyway lol

It is a new Malcolm sculpt. And I can see a slight difference in the T. rex but nothing meaningful. And the paintapp is a let down of course. A bull T. rex in the HC line is inevitable anyway. This one is nothing to get excited about.

Funny that the preorders sold out already. I'm seeing a lot of people trash that set (and Mattel in general) but there they are, lining up with wallets at the ready.  Draining their bank accounts while bemoaning Mattel's drop in quality. ::)

EDIT: Not pointing fingers at anyone here, it's something I see a lot of in the social media groups I'm in.

MLMjp

It's funny, cause this figure does a lot of what people wanted for a buck T.rex figure.

They wanted Mattel to re-scuplt the head, Mattel did that.
They wanted the gular pouch, Mattel gave it.
They wanted the yellow markings, Mattel painted those.

But the resculpt looks worse and less accurate than the original and there's barely any paint so the yellow markings don't matter at all.

People should literally demand to only pay half the price of the set, cause that T.rex is worth nothing and should be sent back to Mattel.

Faelrin

Just hoping that rumored HC T. rex is the buck. While the paint apps for a lot of figures in the line are misses, a lot are pretty close. The first T. rex was one of those that came pretty close. Hopefully if they do the buck it can follow suit. Neither this, or their previous Legacy figure really hit the mark for me in that regard. The closest is really still the old school Kenner figure after all this time.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

suspsy

My big beef with this bull is the same one I have with most of Mattel's T. rexes: it's too damned scrawny. Would it kill them to craft an even slightly bigger, beefier torso next time around?
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Blade-of-the-Moon

Yeah the larger head really made the body look off. If anything they should combined the first Buck with this one and as said increase the body heft a bit.

I recall how nice the prototype of the SC Rex was :

It's back up for preorder btw if anyone is interested, I have a feeling it will be in stores first and on sale by Christmas. Just how these tend to go. They did increase the JP/JW items a bit last year and this year which doesn't help the value much either way. 

I'd get it for the car and the Malcolm figure..I actually saw someone complaining we have too many human figures..lol 

Prehistory Resurrection

A more closer look at the new Legacy Collection Velociraptor Containment Chaos  Pack and the  T-Rex Ambush Pack. Stand a chance to win either a free trip to Universal Studios or a Mattel toy prize pack and a $100 gift card for Target.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I'll certainly be buying more of the Raptor cage set when it goes on sale. I'll have plenty of workers then. I have a Raptor Pen set my grandfather made me, now I just need an in scale forklift..

TheHeavyWing

Amazon has updated my order for the Habitat Defender Triceratops, and now it says that they will send an email when they a get a new ETA (previously expected on 30 May). Hope it doesn't get cancelled.

Cpt Red 3eard

Same for me. They also postponed my HC metriacanthosaurus and corythosaurus the very morning they were supposed to be delivered.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: TheHeavyWing on May 18, 2023, 12:11:17 PMAmazon has updated my order for the Habitat Defender Triceratops, and now it says that they will send an email when they a get a new ETA (previously expected on 30 May). Hope it doesn't get cancelled.

Mine just updated to August. Sometimes I find even Amazon orders in store first so we'll see, I may not need it by then.

Quote from: Cpt Red 3eard on May 18, 2023, 02:11:48 PMSame for me. They also postponed my HC metriacanthosaurus and corythosaurus the very morning they were supposed to be delivered.

They do like waiting til the last minute..

Faelrin

Hammond Collection Brachiosaurus finally revealed. Seems like the rumored T. rex might just be a repack. Kind of disappointing tbh. Was hoping for the buck. I'm guessing if they still stick with one large dinosaur for it per year, then the Brachiosaurus would fulfill that role I think? Unless there is something else still on the way we haven't heard of yet.

Edit: Forgot to mention the neck is confirmed to be rubber with a bendy wire.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Pachyrhinosaurus

The Velociraptor Containment Set looks great! Perhaps with the inclusion of the park workers, we might see Gerry Harding or the Jeep drivers in the future? I'll probably pick up the TLW set as well for the vehicle alone.

I'm not as sold as the Hammond Collection Brachiosaurus. I'll have to see in-hand pictures first, but for now I prefer the original Legacy collection version. Though I noticed the paint is a lot more detailed after taking a closer look.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Remko

Quote from: Prehistory Resurrection on May 18, 2023, 06:26:05 AM
A more closer look at the new Legacy Collection Velociraptor Containment Chaos  Pack and the  T-Rex Ambush Pack. Stand a chance to win either a free trip to Universal Studios or a Mattel toy prize pack and a $100 gift card for Target.

I normally don't buy these toys anymore. But I will make an exception for this set!!

Lynx

As nicely as possible, the Hammond Collection just looks like a more expensive and poorer done version of the Legacy Edition, not much motivation to pick this guy up, despite how much I loved the first movie.
An oversized house cat.

stargatedalek

Leg articulation on the Brachiosaurus looks great! I don't really care for the bendable neck though.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: