News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd: New for 2023

Started by Renecito, January 23, 2023, 03:00:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saarlooswolfhound

Exciting! Not 100% sure that I like the yellow color, would have preferred something else for a color scheme... but that doesn't mean that it isn't exciting!

Flaffy

YES. YEAH BABY. MY PRAYERS HAVE BEEN ANSWERED! My CollectA Estemmenosuchus will finally have a friend after 5 long years! The Collecta version is a very sentimental figure for me personally as it's pretty much the only model I brought over to university from my original collection back home.

I really don't mean to nitpick, but I do wonder why both Estemmensuchus models on the market are stuck with these goofy colours :P . Hopefully the full reveal will help sell the colour scheme more. And are the horns on the Safari version unpainted? Would make the figure feel rather unfinished imo.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Saarlooswolfhound on May 30, 2023, 07:45:16 PMExciting! Not 100% sure that I like the yellow color, would have preferred something else for a color scheme... but that doesn't mean that it isn't exciting!

Estemustardsuchus???

Pliosaurking

That's an interesting species to choose. As I don't have collectas I will probably end up grabbing this guy instead.

Shane

I think the outdoor natural lighting is doing something to the colors here.

It's not yellow. Anyway, stay tuned for Thursday.

Pachyrhinosaurus

I was wrong, but it's still great to see more mammals or mammal-like offerings from Safari.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Flaffy

"brown weird rhino but with two horns on its head"

While I'm don't see how Estemmensocuhus fits the descriptor of a rhino, I do recall people mistaking Jurassic Park's Triceratops with a rhinoceros (somehow), so there's that. Regardless, it certainly is a weird fellow ;D

Also based on the teaser descriptor, I'm guessing the actual colours are more of a light tan-ish brown?

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Flaffy on May 30, 2023, 09:42:01 PM"brown weird rhino but with two horns on its head"

While I'm don't see how Estemmensocuhus fits the descriptor of a rhino, I do recall people mistaking Jurassic Park's Triceratops with a rhinoceros (somehow), so there's that. Regardless, it certainly is a weird fellow ;D

Also based on the teaser descriptor, I'm guessing the actual colours are more of a light tan-ish brown?
Just like every Safari model it seems
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Flaffy

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on May 30, 2023, 09:54:05 PM
Quote from: Flaffy on May 30, 2023, 09:42:01 PM"brown weird rhino but with two horns on its head"

Just like every Safari model it seems

I mean, while I am kind of tired of Safari's ol' reliable brown + tan combo, I wouldn't mind it on a synapsid since I generally prefer tamer colours for Therapsids and kin (hence why I still gripe about CollectA Estemmenosuchus's mouldy colour scheme). Anything more basal though? Go wild with the colours, particularly the sail-backed pelycosaurs.

Halichoeres

Excellent news!

Quote from: ceratopsian on May 30, 2023, 07:02:34 PMSome of us will already have the CollectA Estemmenosuchus.
This is a rare case where I might just keep both. I'm guessing they'll be different scales, so for me they can live on different shelves. Safari has not made many stem-mammals--the most recent were Dimetrodon in 2018 and Inostrancevia in 2011. I'm definitely going to throw money at them when they make something like this!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Faelrin

Looking forward to the full reveal. Glad to see an Estemmenosuchus from them. Not sure about the yellow yet either, but I don't want to judge it so soon, before it is fully revealed. In any case I'm still rather excited for it since this species has only ever had a few figures of it in the past (CollectA's being the most recent, from 2018, prior to that was Kenner's). Honestly this is the first non-dinosaur (most of which were theropods, including the two prior revealed this year) from them in years too, since 2020. An absolute shocker really.

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres To add to what you've said this is also only the fourth Permian species from them, discounting those in the toobs, two of which that have been retired for a few years now (Inostrancevia, and Scutosaurus).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Flaffy

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 30, 2023, 11:10:54 PM
Quote from: ceratopsian on May 30, 2023, 07:02:34 PMSome of us will already have the CollectA Estemmenosuchus.
This is a rare case where I might just keep both. I'm guessing they'll be different scales, so for me they can live on different shelves. Safari has not made many stem-mammals--the most recent were Dimetrodon in 2018 and Inostrancevia in 2011. I'm definitely going to throw money at them when they make something like this!

Likewise. The more Permian critters the better in my book ;) , plenty of weirdos from that era that are just begging to be made into figures!

SBell

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 30, 2023, 11:10:54 PMExcellent news!

I can now round out a trio including the awkward Hasbro JP one!
And the CollectA mini fig as well. Don't really expect to see more of this critter ever.
Maybe the horn apperance will reflect different species in the genus?

Flaffy

Quote from: SBell on May 30, 2023, 11:50:14 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on May 30, 2023, 11:10:54 PMExcellent news!

I can now round out a trio including the awkward Hasbro JP one!
And the CollectA mini fig as well. Don't really expect to see more of this critter ever.
Maybe the horn apperance will reflect different species in the genus?

Looks to be E. mirabilis. E. uralensis had much more reserved horns compared to its smaller more ornate cousin.

Gwangi

Although Estemmenosuchus is one of my favorite Permian critters I've been dragging my feet on getting CollectA's. I just don't like it. It's nice to have an alternative, or multiple options at all for such an obscure animal.

Don't forget to check the Dinosaur Toy Blog on Thursday folks.  ;)

ceratopsian

While I'd have preferred a Permian stem mammal not already represented in my collection (which leaves a huge choice!), I appreciate the logic of the sentiments about supporting the choice of anything from that group and period. I could still be tempted. But they wouldn't display well together for me as I had Martin repaint and base the CollectA offering.

Shane

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on May 30, 2023, 09:54:05 PMJust like every Safari model it seems

Exactly, just like the Albertosaurus, or the Majungasaurus, or the Utahraptor, or the Cryolophosaurus...oh, wait.

SidB

Quote from: Shane on May 31, 2023, 01:26:59 PM
Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on May 30, 2023, 09:54:05 PMJust like every Safari model it seems

Exactly, just like the Albertosaurus, or the Majungasaurus, or the Utahraptor, or the Cryolophosaurus...oh, wait.
I actually like the tanish-brown. Really. Though it's good to see the palette changing too.

Shane

Quote from: SidB on May 31, 2023, 02:02:58 PMI actually like the tanish-brown. Really. Though it's good to see the palette changing too.

I think it works well when utilized. I just think it's a bit disingenuous to say it applies to "every" Safari figure.

Particularly if you look at the more recent releases, 2 out of a dozen or so prehistoric figures feature a tan/brown coloration.

For the record, the upcoming reveal is neither yellow, nor is it the standard "tan/brown" combo. You'll find out tomorrow.

Flaffy

Quote from: ceratopsian on May 31, 2023, 08:57:08 AMWhile I'd have preferred a Permian stem mammal not already represented in my collection (which leaves a huge choice!), I appreciate the logic of the sentiments about supporting the choice of anything from that group and period. I could still be tempted. But they wouldn't display well together for me as I had Martin repaint and base the CollectA offering.

I think thats a sign to have Martin paint up the Safari one as well to get matching pair 8)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: