You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Eofauna Scientific Research - New for 2023

Started by GojiraGuy1954, November 08, 2022, 07:27:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Remko

Quote from: Leyster on May 30, 2023, 07:37:41 PMR @Remko Paraceratherium's shoulder height is not 550 cm. AMNH 26168/75, which is considered to be the biggest Paraceratherium specimen (other supposed specimens have been casted in doubt by the vary same people which purposed them), has a shoulder height of 470 cm (Larramendi, 2014).

I see where I went wrong. I searched for the animal and found the Dutch Wikipedia page which states "estimated shoulder height of 5,5 meter". The original English page, which is much more elaborate, and gives the shoulder height of 4,8 meters.

So that means the figure is anywhere between 1:20 and 1:24.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Remko on May 30, 2023, 08:26:15 PM
Quote from: Leyster on May 30, 2023, 07:37:41 PMR @Remko Paraceratherium's shoulder height is not 550 cm. AMNH 26168/75, which is considered to be the biggest Paraceratherium specimen (other supposed specimens have been casted in doubt by the vary same people which purposed them), has a shoulder height of 470 cm (Larramendi, 2014).

I see where I went wrong. I searched for the animal and found the Dutch Wikipedia page which states "estimated shoulder height of 5,5 meter". The original English page, which is much more elaborate, and gives the shoulder height of 4,8 meters.

The Dinosdragons guy says the figure scales out to 1/21 so it's close to the advertised 1/20

Renecito

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on May 31, 2023, 12:24:24 AM

The Dinosdragons guy says the figure scales out to 1/21 so it's close to the advertised 1/20

However, the official scale by Itoy is 1/35.
Favorite Brands:              Favorite Dinosaurs:
1 - PNSO                        1 - Carnotaurus
2 - Vitae                         2 - Spinosaurus/Suchomimus
3 - Eofauna                     3 - Therizinosaurus
4 - Carnegie Line             4 - Deinocheirus
5 - CollectA                     5 - Gigantoraptor

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Renecito on May 31, 2023, 12:50:09 AM
Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on May 31, 2023, 12:24:24 AM

However, the official scale by Itoy is 1/35.
Hilarious :)

dinofelid

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on May 30, 2023, 06:16:02 PM
Quote from: Remko on May 30, 2023, 05:51:12 PMCorrect.

The Paraceratherium isn't 1:20th though. More like 1:25th to 1:27th scale.

Paraceratherium had a shoulder height of about 550 cm. The elephant about 400 to 420 cm. Compare these to the model sizes.

Paraceratherium: 20 cm = 700 cm for a 1:35th figure (they were large, but not THAT large) or 500 cm for a 1:25th figure or 540 cm for a 1:27th figure.
In 1:35th it would had to be about 15 cm at the shoulders.

Palaeoloxodon: 11,5 cm = 402,5 cm for a 1:35th figure

It's a beautiful figure, but I'm still hoping on a proper 1:35th.

It would love to display a 1/35th paraceratherium next to my altasaurus on the shelf!

The CollectA Paraceratherium works at 1/35 scale.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: dinofelid on May 31, 2023, 02:45:56 AM
Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on May 30, 2023, 06:16:02 PM
Quote from: Remko on May 30, 2023, 05:51:12 PMCorrect.

The Paraceratherium isn't 1:20th though. More like 1:25th to 1:27th scale.

Paraceratherium had a shoulder height of about 550 cm. The elephant about 400 to 420 cm. Compare these to the model sizes.

Paraceratherium: 20 cm = 700 cm for a 1:35th figure (they were large, but not THAT large) or 500 cm for a 1:25th figure or 540 cm for a 1:27th figure.
In 1:35th it would had to be about 15 cm at the shoulders.

Palaeoloxodon: 11,5 cm = 402,5 cm for a 1:35th figure

It's a beautiful figure, but I'm still hoping on a proper 1:35th.

It would love to display a 1/35th paraceratherium next to my altasaurus on the shelf!

The CollectA Paraceratherium works at 1/35 scale.

I never bought the CollectA because I don't like that type of reconstruction.  I prefer the classic Rhino reconstruction with the big upper lip and the thick grey skin folds. 

CARN0TAURUS

In regards to the pending T-rex release.  Is Eofauna going to model the battle scars that "Sue" had on this new figure?  To me that would put the figure on a higher level.  Talk about "Museum Caliber" it would literally be the perfect figure to sell in the gift shop as it would have replicated the actual fossil remains on display at the museum. 

Paleo Flo

Bring it on Eofauna. It's a tough wait
Welcome to Florassic Park...my collection:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=10638.0

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Paleo Flo on May 31, 2023, 05:13:16 PMBring it on Eofauna. It's a tough wait

I think it's been a full year now that they announced they were working on this figure.

SRF

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on May 31, 2023, 04:33:24 PMIn regards to the pending T-rex release.  Is Eofauna going to model the battle scars that "Sue" had on this new figure?  To me that would put the figure on a higher level.  Talk about "Museum Caliber" it would literally be the perfect figure to sell in the gift shop as it would have replicated the actual fossil remains on display at the museum. 

The only answer right now is: we don't know. Those scars don't show on the images we've seen so far.

For me the main question regarding Eofaunas Tyrannosaurus is: will it even be released this year?
But today, I'm just being father

SidB

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on May 31, 2023, 05:38:43 PM
Quote from: Paleo Flo on May 31, 2023, 05:13:16 PMBring it on Eofauna. It's a tough wait

I think it's been a full year now that they announced they were working on this figure.
I think that they are doing well to be very deliberate in the entire process. Looking at the levels of hyper-criticism of every T-rex to hit the market, as opposed to virtually every other taxon, most of which are judged rather less harshly, unless this figure is astonishingly well conceived and executed, they are going to be met with deep disappointment. Look at the record across the board.

Medzo

Quote from: SidB on June 01, 2023, 01:35:39 AMI think that they are doing well to be very deliberate in the entire process. Looking at the levels of hyper-criticism of every T-rex to hit the market, as opposed to virtually every other taxon, most of which are judged rather less harshly, unless this figure is astonishingly well conceived and executed, they are going to be met with deep disappointment. Look at the record across the board.

I agree. I mean the pose is already a turn off for me.

So what can I say, do I really care about scars at this point? Not that I have any relations to some real life specimen that was dug up. Last time I read there could had been two billion of T-rexes through the genus's existing before the extinction event. I can imagine countless different, realistic scars.

GojiraGuy1954

I wonder if they're altering the figure due to criticism
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

suspsy

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on June 01, 2023, 04:58:08 PMI wonder if they're altering the figure due to criticism

Highly unlikely at this stage.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Concavenator

Quote from: SRF on May 31, 2023, 06:23:39 PMFor me the main question regarding Eofaunas Tyrannosaurus is: will it even be released this year?

At this moment, it doesn't seem too likely. Guess we will just have to wait and see. That's exactly why I think these preview teasers of the Tyrannosaurus should've been discussed in the Eofauna general thread instead, as we don't know whether it will come out this year or not.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: SidB on June 01, 2023, 01:35:39 AM
Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on May 31, 2023, 05:38:43 PM

I think that they are doing well to be very deliberate in the entire process. Looking at the levels of hyper-criticism of every T-rex to hit the market, as opposed to virtually every other taxon, most of which are judged rather less harshly, unless this figure is astonishingly well conceived and executed, they are going to be met with deep disappointment. Look at the record across the board.

That makes sense, with T-rex being so popular and with so much fossil material being available for reference, the stakes are always going to be high to get it right.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Medzo on June 01, 2023, 10:37:53 AM
Quote from: SidB on June 01, 2023, 01:35:39 AMI think that they are doing well to be very deliberate in the entire process. Looking at the levels of hyper-criticism of every T-rex to hit the market, as opposed to virtually every other taxon, most of which are judged rather less harshly, unless this figure is astonishingly well conceived and executed, they are going to be met with deep disappointment. Look at the record across the board.

I agree. I mean the pose is already a turn off for me.

So what can I say, do I really care about scars at this point? Not that I have any relations to some real life specimen that was dug up. Last time I read there could had been two billion of T-rexes through the genus's existing before the extinction event. I can imagine countless different, realistic scars.

No need to imagine battle scars that may or may not have actually killed the animal.  With Sue you don't have to wonder if she survived.  We have concrete evidence of some pretty gruesome health issues that the animal overcame to lead a life on the longer end of the T-rex range.  It blows my mind that toy companies haven't jumped on board.  These animals were incredibly resilient and lead ridiculously dangerous lives.  Sue's scars prove that to perfection.

What's wrong with the pose?  We already have tons theropods with their heads in the ground. I like upright heads on theropods.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on June 01, 2023, 04:58:08 PMI wonder if they're altering the figure due to criticism

If I was gambling man, I would bet that the engineering around the movable jaw with lips is the most likely culprit for the delays :(

SidB

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on June 01, 2023, 06:00:14 PM

If I was gambling man, I would bet that the engineering around the movable jaw with lips is the most likely culprit for the delays :(

I wish that they'd taken Safari's approach and done a simple fixed jaw, either open or closed.

Over9K

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on June 01, 2023, 05:57:43 PMNo need to imagine battle scars that may or may not have actually killed the animal.  With Sue you don't have to wonder if she survived.  We have concrete evidence of some pretty gruesome health issues that the animal overcame to lead a life on the longer end of the T-rex range.  It blows my mind that toy companies haven't jumped on board.  These animals were incredibly resilient and lead ridiculously dangerous lives.  Sue's scars prove that to perfection.

What's wrong with the pose?  We already have tons theropods with their heads in the ground. I like upright heads on theropods.

Battle scars, healing wounds, parasite infestations are all things that it would be very nice to see included in these figures, but not really feasible, financially.

Such things would require a level of paint application skill and process beyond the current price point. You think Museum line figures are spicy? Wait until there's 2X the time and skill involved in painting them to look halfway decent.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: