News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

What would we like CollectA to make?

Started by Sim, June 01, 2023, 06:49:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Quote from: Concavenator on June 06, 2023, 08:27:33 PMavatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres an alvarezsaurid would be nice. Also, not sure we will be getting something like a troodontid, a scansoriopterygid or an anchiornithid anytime soon unfortunately, though hopefully I'm wrong.

Troodontids are a matter of time, and I'm personally happy with my Yi and Anchiornis but I can see why somebody might want something more widely available.

At any rate CollectA has never been very good at theropods so even if I did want some I would be requesting them from a different company.

Quote from: Sim on June 08, 2023, 01:10:40 PMavatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres, I tried looking up some of the names you listed but I didn't find anything about Gregorius being a prehistoric animal?  Also, can you please reduce the number of choices per category to 5?
Hmm, a very difficult rule when the overwhelming majority of prehistory is reduced to "other," but very well.

Gregorius rexi is a bizarre stem-ratfish from the Bear Gulch formation. Unfortunately the paper describing it was in a collected volume not readily available online:
Lund, R. & Grogan, E.D. (2004)
Five new euchondrocephalan Chondrichthyes from the Bear Gulch Limestone (Serpukhovian, Namurian E2b) of Montana, USA. In ARRATIA, G., WILSON, M. V. H. and CLOUTIER, R. (Eds.), Recent advances in the origin and early radiation of vertebrates. Honoring Hans–Peter Schultze: 505–531
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Sim

Quote from: Halichoeres on June 08, 2023, 09:30:04 PMTroodontids are a matter of time
I really REALLY hope so. :-\

Quote from: Halichoeres on June 08, 2023, 09:30:04 PMHmm, a very difficult rule when the overwhelming majority of prehistory is reduced to "other," but very well.
I think the way the companies think about the overwhelming majority of prehistoric animals is "other", when it comes to making figures of them.  Non-avian dinosaurs tend to be the most popular purchases.  This is reflected in the choices of animals companies make.

TheCambrianCrusader

I think you could probably split them up into things like pterosaurs, mammals, marine animals, and inverts. Collecta is pretty good with usually giving us one from one of these categories.

Gwangi

Quote from: Halichoeres on June 08, 2023, 09:30:04 PM
Quote from: Concavenator on June 06, 2023, 08:27:33 PMavatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres an alvarezsaurid would be nice. Also, not sure we will be getting something like a troodontid, a scansoriopterygid or an anchiornithid anytime soon unfortunately, though hopefully I'm wrong.

Troodontids are a matter of time, and I'm personally happy with my Yi and Anchiornis but I can see why somebody might want something more widely available.

At any rate CollectA has never been very good at theropods so even if I did want some I would be requesting them from a different company.

Quote from: Sim on June 08, 2023, 01:10:40 PMavatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres, I tried looking up some of the names you listed but I didn't find anything about Gregorius being a prehistoric animal?  Also, can you please reduce the number of choices per category to 5?
Hmm, a very difficult rule when the overwhelming majority of prehistory is reduced to "other," but very well.

Gregorius rexi is a bizarre stem-ratfish from the Bear Gulch formation. Unfortunately the paper describing it was in a collected volume not readily available online:
Lund, R. & Grogan, E.D. (2004)
Five new euchondrocephalan Chondrichthyes from the Bear Gulch Limestone (Serpukhovian, Namurian E2b) of Montana, USA. In ARRATIA, G., WILSON, M. V. H. and CLOUTIER, R. (Eds.), Recent advances in the origin and early radiation of vertebrates. Honoring Hans–Peter Schultze: 505–531

Especially since CollectA excels at "other" prehistoric animals. While I struggled to think of enough dinosaurs I would like to see from them I had the opposite problem when it came to the rest of prehistory.

CollectA dinosaurs aren't my favorite, most of my CollectA figures aren't dinosaurs.

suspsy

I am heartily tired of giant theropods. I would like to see CollectA return to doing more ornithomimosaurs, particularly Gallimimus. I would also like to see them tackle more megaraptorans, small sauropods, and protoceratopsids.

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Fembrogon

There are plenty of animals and groups I could pick from, but here are six of particular interest to me in this context:

Theropods - large theropods aren't one of Collecta's strengths, but I'd be interested in seeing them attempt more coelurosaurs and maniraptorans, since we don't have enough companies approaching those groups.
  • Ornitholestes
  • Gallimimus
  • Nothronykus
  • Yi
  • Mononykus

Sauropods - this group, on the other hand, has had some very good results from Collecta recently, so I'm game to see more.
  • Nigersaurus (resculpt)
  • Dreadnoughtus
  • Saltasaurus
  • Isisaurus
  • Magyarasaurus

Ornithopods - Collecta has DRASTICALLY improved the quality of their output for this group, so I definitely want more quantity to follow, even if it's just revisiting and revising prior releases.
  • Maiasaura
  • Ouranosaurus (resculpt)
  • Camptosaurus (resculpt)
  • Tenontosaurus (resculpt)
  • Muttaburasaurus (resculpt)

Thyreophorans - another group that's had some very good recent results.
  • Miragaia (resculpt)
  • Hesperosaurus
  • Tarchia
  • Liaoningosaurus
  • Edmontonia (resculpt)

Marine reptiles - Collecta is probably the leading toy brand for this "group", so I hope they don't plan on slowing down.
  • Metriorhynchus
  • Nothosaurus
  • Globidens
  • Tuarangisaurus
  • Kaikafilu

Amphibians - Koolasuchus was a LONG time coming, as far as I'm concerned; please give us more, Collecta!
  • Eryops
  • Beelzebufo
  • Crassigyrinus
  • Gerrothorax
  • Platyhistrix

As a general rule, if a genus is good enough to make it into a documentary program, it deserves at least one concurrent toy; naturally the likes of Prehistoric Planet and Walking With Dinosaurs have influenced  several of these choices.

Sim

Quote from: TheCambrianCrusader on June 09, 2023, 01:38:11 AMI think you could probably split them up into things like pterosaurs, mammals, marine animals, and inverts. Collecta is pretty good with usually giving us one from one of these categories.
Thanks for the suggestion.  It's too late to do it now but if I do this again in the future I might split up the remaining prehistoric animals.  Pterosaurs do have their own category though.  Also, I'm not interested in CollectA figures from most of these other groups so it feels more like work and less like something fun to make a poll for them.

avatar_Fembrogon @Fembrogon, nice lists!  I'm going to include marine reptiles and amphibians in one poll though for which only five votes can be cast.  Could you tell me which five animals you'd like in this poll?

Fembrogon

Thanks, avatar_Sim @Sim. If I have to narrow down the herps to five, I'll go with these:

• Eryops
  • Beelzebufo
  • Nothosaurus
  • Metriorhynchus
  • Globidens

Concavenator

Deleted; wrong thread.

Sim

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator, I think you meant to post that in the sauropodomorph thread?  I would like to reply further but I'll wait for you to decide whether you would like to move your post into the sauropodomorph thread.

Concavenator

Halichoeres

Quote from: Gwangi on June 09, 2023, 01:13:27 PMEspecially since CollectA excels at "other" prehistoric animals. While I struggled to think of enough dinosaurs I would like to see from them I had the opposite problem when it came to the rest of prehistory.

CollectA dinosaurs aren't my favorite, most of my CollectA figures aren't dinosaurs.

Yeah, that's a good point. Especially in the last five or six years, CollectA has really started to explore prehistory in a way nobody has since Starlux or maybe early 2000s Kaiyodo. I buy some of their dinosaurs too, but their dinosaurs are not the reason that CollectA is one of my favorite companies.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

marisaura

mentioned some of these in another thread but some of my dream collecta figures (or really just figures by anyone but i think these would all suit collecta's style well) would be:

maiasaura
lophorhothon
oryctodromeus
dryosaurus
any alvarezsaurid - mononykus maybe?
any of plateosaurus/massospondylus/lufengosaurus/etc.
brachytrachelopan
placerias
lystrosaurus
cotylorhynchus
cacops
any sebecid
odobenocetops
steller's sea cow
hyneria

Halichoeres

That's a good list! Some of those animals I think CollectA is the only company that might be remotely willing to try them.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.