News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd: New for 2023

Started by Renecito, January 23, 2023, 03:00:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Concavenator

Out of all the groups Safari represents, dromaeosaurids really are my favorite figures from them. As far as we've seen, their dromaeosaurids are the best on the market. Period. Bring on more, please! avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson

S @Shane mind if I ask when can we expect the next reveal?

Shane

Quote from: Concavenator on June 09, 2023, 08:48:20 PMS @Shane mind if I ask when can we expect the next reveal?

I don't have a finite date, but they might be done 'til July or so.

There probably will not be a Prehistoric World reveal for a while.

Concavenator

S @Shane Thanks, I see. In any case, looking forward to the next reveal.

Fembrogon

We've had three prehistoric reveals so far, plus multiple extant animals, so I'm very pleased for now. I patiently(ish...) await the arrival of product stock, and look forward to whatever comes next!

Flaffy

As far as I'm concerned, this is the best Safari year based on the latest reveal ;)

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Flaffy on June 10, 2023, 01:51:50 AMAs far as I'm concerned, this is the best Safari year based on the latest reveal ;)
ever?

SpartanSquat

So this year 3 prehistorics like last 2 years?

SidB

Quote from: SpartanSquat on June 10, 2023, 03:39:50 AMSo this year 3 prehistorics like last 2 years?
It's a strikeout for me so far because none of the three come even remotely close to fitting into my 1/35-1/40 ish scale Wild Safari /Carnegie Collection (I make an exception for the1/25 ceratopsids). I'm glad for those who feel otherwise, but I was hoping for some 1/35 scale dinosaurs or 1/20 mammals. The Estemmenosuchus may work if I were to ditch my CollectA one, but I have no plans to do that right now. I miss the Wild Safari glory days of five or so years ago, when all those great figures were poured out onto the market, but I guess that was unsustainable.

No complaints, though, because there's PNSO, Haolonggood, CollectA and an occasional gem like the newly available Mojo Wooly Rhino. All in all it's been a very good year so far and it ain't over by a long shot.

Flaffy

Quote from: SidB on June 10, 2023, 05:51:01 AM
Quote from: SpartanSquat on June 10, 2023, 03:39:50 AMSo this year 3 prehistorics like last 2 years?
It's a strikeout for me so far because none of the three come even remotely close to fitting into my 1/35-1/40 ish scale Wild Safari /Carnegie Collection (I make an exception for the1/25 ceratopsids). I'm glad for those who feel otherwise, but I was hoping for some 1/35 scale dinosaurs or 1/20 mammals. The Estemmenosuchus may work if I were to ditch my CollectA one, but I have no plans to do that right now. I miss the Wild Safari glory days of five or so years ago, when all those great figures were poured out onto the market, but I guess that was unsustainable.

If you're willing to use E. uralensis estimates at 4.5m, it turns the figure into a comfortable 1:40 scale ;) . I really don't think there's going to be an Estemmenosuchus figure that checks all of the following boxes:
- Size: Smaller figure size means it scales relatively well with most figures. High degree of flexibility within the genus if you're willing to cheat a bit too. I definitely don't do this often, but I'm willing to make an exception for obscure and rarely produced taxa such as this.
- Price: $12, cheap and affordable. Custom resin runs will certainly cost a lot more at the same size, not to mention painting and assembly fees.
- Colour: I know I know it's rather subjective, but it's definitely more naturalistic for a dinocephalian synapsid.
- Accuracy: Easily the most accurate option on the market. While I do have minor gripes with the teeth and lips, they are as Shane and Doug have explained artefacts of the toy production process, or can be easily explained by artistic choices of the sculpt. The CollectA sculpt sacrifices accuracy (I find the jaw musculature unconvincing) for poseability, which depending on who you ask is a good or a bad thing.

Flaffy

SidB

Quote from: Flaffy on June 10, 2023, 12:07:50 PM
Quote from: SidB on June 10, 2023, 05:51:01 AM

If you're willing to use E. uralensis estimates at 4.5m, it turns the figure into a comfortable 1:40 scale ;) . I really don't think there's going to be an Estemmenosuchus figure that checks all of the following boxes:
- Size: Smaller figure size means it scales relatively well with most figures. High degree of flexibility within the genus if you're willing to cheat a bit too. I definitely don't do this often, but I'm willing to make an exception for obscure and rarely produced taxa such as this.
- Price: $12, cheap and affordable. Custom resin runs will certainly cost a lot more at the same size, not to mention painting and assembly fees.
- Colour: I know I know it's rather subjective, but it's definitely more naturalistic for a dinocephalian synapsid.
- Accuracy: Easily the most accurate option on the market. While I do have minor gripes with the teeth and lips, they are as Shane and Doug have explained artefacts of the toy production process, or can be easily explained by artistic choices of the sculpt. The CollectA sculpt sacrifices accuracy (I find the jaw musculature unconvincing) for poseability, which depending on who you ask is a good or a bad thing.
Thanks, avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy , that's useful to know - changes my perspective on this figure. Probably will get it for my Safari 1/35 -1/40 exhibit.

Sim

But the Safari Estemmenosuchus isn't E. uralensis, so why use its size for it? ???

Flaffy

Quote from: Sim on June 10, 2023, 03:59:45 PMBut the Safari Estemmenosuchus isn't E. uralensis, so why use its size for it? ???

I've already explained in my post.
Is it cheating? Yes.
Is it an excuse to sneak another Estemmenosuchus into my 1/35-40 collection? Also yes.

Faelrin

I'm just glad it's close to scale with the retired Inostrancevia and Scutosaurus (which I have back on hand now after getting them out of storage yesterday). That's where I wanted it to be. The CollectA one was way too big for that, even though it's still a nice figure on its own.

It's good to see that it can sort of work in 1/35-1/40 scale as the other species though. Doubtful there will be another figure of this genus for a long time, so one can't really get too picky when it comes to the available options out there.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Flaffy

Quote from: Faelrin on June 10, 2023, 05:29:14 PMI'm just glad it's close to scale with the retired Inostrancevia and Scutosaurus (which I have back on hand now after getting them out of storage yesterday). That's where I wanted it to be. The CollectA one was way too big for that, even though it's still a nice figure on its own.

It's good to see that it can sort of work in 1/35-1/40 scale as the other species though. Doubtful there will be another figure of this genus for a long time, so one can't really get too picky when it comes to the available options out there.

Yeah. It really boils down to "Do you want something that is slightly out of scale? (Safari) Or do you want something that is wildly out of scale? (CollectA)". I don't imagine anyone rushing to add the Kenner version(s) to their displays either.

At 1/35 scale, the Safari Estemmenosuchus would represent a 4 meter long E. mirabilis individual. Strictly speaking that's pretty improbable, but hey, you work with what you have.

Shane

It's a little trickier this year as releases are happening continuously throughout the year. There are still Prehistoric World figurines in the pipeline, but they may or may not be announced for release before the end of the year.

Dinoxels

Quote from: Shane on June 12, 2023, 01:24:02 PM

It's a little trickier this year as releases are happening continuously throughout the year. There are still Prehistoric World figurines in the pipeline, but they may or may not be announced for release before the end of the year.
I really like the 3 models revealed thus far, excited to see what's next!
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

SpartanSquat

I notice there is no dino dana figures announced this year

TheCambrianCrusader

Quote from: SpartanSquat on June 12, 2023, 06:04:20 PMI notice there is no dino dana figures announced this year
Could be they just haven't been announced yet

Flaffy

I was playing around with the idea of making the Estemmenosuchus's head slightly more visually interesting via very minor repaints whilst still staying true to the original vision. Came up with the following (shoddy) edits.

Not sure about the white spots on the jugals however, any ideas to make them more striking?
Debating between red eyes vs blue eyes too. Any opinions on which looks better? Preferring the original brown sclera is a valid option too.

Red eye ver., only eye colour edit ver., original for comparison.

Spoiler

[close]

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: