News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

TooOldForDinosaurs' Repaints

Started by TooOldForDinosaurs, July 18, 2022, 04:38:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TooOldForDinosaurs

Adalatherium update post:

I started on the feet yesterday. These things are giving me a headache... With a sculpt this size theres little room to hide smaller faults. Two feet fully done and the third is in the oven right now.  :)  I'll try to do the body in two halfs (right and left) when attaching the feet, adding the limbs and fur detail. I'm trying to keep the times of re-baking as low as possible to avoid the risk of discoloration or breakage on the clay. Last bake will be attaching the head and adding the tail.

Heres the progress photos:

TooOldForDinosaurs

Last update for today:

:)

postsaurischian

Stegotyranno420

TooOldForDinosaurs

Head + neck, tail and fur left to go! Getting close...  :)

TooOldForDinosaurs

It is DONE !  8)

Let me introduce you to the 1:1 (to fossil measurements) Subadult ADALATHERIUM. This fella is a whopping 35cm from head to tail, and weighs 1030 grams.  :o  I'm so happy with how this sculpt turned out. It's the first time where I can't find any major faults in the anatomy of a sculpt. This has been the most challenging but also rewarding project so far and it left me with pure joy.

I don't even know where I'm gonna put this guy.  ;D

postsaurischian

:D Wow! It turned out wonderful. You did a fantastic job!
 And the base is spectacular ;D - just joking - but it looks pretty good with the Adalatherium on it - like earthy ground.

ceratopsian

I hadn't realised it would be so big!  You are certainly entitled to feel joyful and proud to have achieved such an excellent result.  Now I'm looking forward to seeing him/her painted.

TooOldForDinosaurs

Quote from: postsaurischian on June 13, 2023, 06:27:40 PM:D Wow! It turned out wonderful. You did a fantastic job!
 And the base is spectacular ;D - just joking - but it looks pretty good with the Adalatherium on it - like earthy ground.

Thank you very much! Haha yeah a base is definitely something I'm considering to do in the near future. We'll see. :)

Quote from: ceratopsian on June 13, 2023, 06:42:33 PMI hadn't realised it would be so big!  You are certainly entitled to feel joyful and proud to have achieved such an excellent result.  Now I'm looking forward to seeing him/her painted.

I really appreciate the praise.  ^-^  I'm not sure you'll see that very soon unfortunately. I'm really worried I might ruin it by painting. I have a lot less confidence in my painting skills than my sculpting skills.  :-X I've even thought about getting it painted but the risk of breaking something during shipment is great.

Also not sure about the gender. I'm open for name suggestions for both and I'll choose the one I like best. :)

ceratopsian

I can completely understand your reluctance on painting.  I think it looks just fine in the pale colour, especially with the dark eye.  I would think it very fragile - unless you could deliver to an artist in person I don't think I'd risk that personally.

Dusty Wren

Holy crap, 35 cm? That's way bigger than I thought it was. No wonder you could get such good detail in the feet and the fur. Congrats on finishing!

You're right that polymer clay sculptures are vulnerable to breaking during shipping, unfortunately. I'll bet you could paint it yourself and do a good job, though. Acrylic paint is pretty forgiving, because you can build up layers slowly and paint over mistakes. The only tricky part would be painting inside the mouth.
Check out my customs thread!

TooOldForDinosaurs

Quote from: ceratopsian on June 13, 2023, 08:05:34 PMI can completely understand your reluctance on painting.  I think it looks just fine in the pale colour, especially with the dark eye.  I would think it very fragile - unless you could deliver to an artist in person I don't think I'd risk that personally.

Yeah, probably wont ship it anywhere. Maybe after I've done some more painting and built up more confidence I'll get back to painting my sculpts - who knows. :)

Quote from: Dusty Wren on June 13, 2023, 08:54:20 PMHoly crap, 35 cm? That's way bigger than I thought it was. No wonder you could get such good detail in the feet and the fur. Congrats on finishing!

You're right that polymer clay sculptures are vulnerable to breaking during shipping, unfortunately. I'll bet you could paint it yourself and do a good job, though. Acrylic paint is pretty forgiving, because you can build up layers slowly and paint over mistakes. The only tricky part would be painting inside the mouth.

Thank you! It is indeed. I'll see that I can post a size comparison picture tomorrow to some commonly known figure - or maybe you have a suggestion (if I own that one).

TooOldForDinosaurs

Here as promised a size comparison to Safaris Smilodon. Unfortunately I do not own any contemporary Madagascan fauna. ::)

Halichoeres

That turned out great! I'm sure it would look good with paint, but it looks plenty good without, especially with the contrasting eye.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

TooOldForDinosaurs

Quote from: Halichoeres on June 14, 2023, 03:06:45 PMThat turned out great! I'm sure it would look good with paint, but it looks plenty good without, especially with the contrasting eye.

Thank you! Thats kind of a ,,happy accident" since I had to use these kind of ,,pearls" (for making own jewelery - for kids) because needle heads would've been way too small.  :))

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.