News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New For 2023

Started by vampiredesign, November 28, 2022, 07:00:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

Quite a few people like the horizontal pupils actually, although some of us don't...  I feel like they would have worked better if they were only in the centre of the eye, rather than going from one end of the eye to the other and if the pupil line was thicker.  As it is to me it looks like the Pachyrhinosaurus is closing its eyes.

Also, I just don't like slit pupils...  I guess it is plausible for the animal, but what I've read about horizontal pupils is they increase visibility in the vertical plane, would that really be appropriate for Pachyrhinosaurus?

Samrukia

Quote from: Sim on June 17, 2023, 08:42:10 PMQuite a few people like the horizontal pupils actually, although some of us don't...  I feel like they would have worked better if they were only in the centre of the eye, rather than going from one end of the eye to the other and if the pupil line was thicker.  As it is to me it looks like the Pachyrhinosaurus is closing its eyes.

Also, I just don't like slit pupils...  I guess it is plausible for the animal, but what I've read about horizontal pupils is they increase visibility in the vertical plane, would that really be appropriate for Pachyrhinosaurus?

i believe it's the opposite, rectangular pupil helps with panoramic vision. also, goats' eyes work such way that the pupil is always parallel to the ground

Georassic

Do we know the species for the Apatosaurus, Pachyrhinosaurus and Edmontonia?

Leyster

Pachyrhinosaurus is cleary P.lakustai. Edmontonia, judging by the big shoulder spikes and head shape, should be rugosidens, but don't quote me on that, I have to check it better.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

bmathison1972

I just ordered Tianzhenosaurus and Wuerhosaurus, and put Edmontonia on my wish list!

Georassic

Quote from: Leyster on June 18, 2023, 05:17:25 PMPachyrhinosaurus is cleary P.lakustai. Edmontonia, judging by the big shoulder spikes and head shape, should be rugosidens, but don't quote me on that, I have to check it better.
Thanks!

Concavenator

I don't think I'd get a Sinraptor. I only need one metriacanthosaurid for my collection, so it'd be either Sinraptor or Yangchuanosaurus, and I prefer the latter. So I guess I will be holding out for a new Yangchuanosaurus. On another hand, I would get a good Megaraptor though.

Looking forward to seeing more of the Edmontonia (and further releases)! We were overdue for a good one, and as avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi said, Haolonggood has a great "instinct" when it comes to detecting desidered species for collectors.

Stegotyranno420

avatar_Sim @Sim i checked the name possibilities again, and Meraxes seems to be a possibility as the name fits in the black box.
Personally I am not interested in a Meraxes though.
So far the possibilities are now
Meraxes
Rugops
Kryptops
Sinraptor

Maybe
Maip
Siats
Megaraptor

Bread

Quote from: Concavenator on June 16, 2023, 07:56:42 AM

I'm guessing this might be the megaraptorid they were hinting at.
avatar_Stegotyranno420 @Stegotyranno420 unless Haolonggood forgot the important long toe claw for Meraxes, I wouldn't count on it. I would also hope not as I already have PNSO's.

I do like your guesses, very helpful! Hoping for a megaraptorid!

TheImmortalEye

Quote from: Bread on June 19, 2023, 10:44:40 PM

avatar_Stegotyranno420 @Stegotyranno420 unless Haolonggood forgot the important long toe claw for Meraxes, I wouldn't count on it. I would also hope not as I already have PNSO's.

Also hope since we have enough theropods in general of common genera, but barely anyone ever does megaraptorids

Carnoking

Quote from: Bread on June 19, 2023, 10:44:40 PM

Wouldn't be the first oversight I'm afraid

Stegotyranno420

avatar_Bread @Bread my best guess is Sinraptor. 
Keep in mind the blocked out names may or may not be the theropod we seen.
For all we know the next could be a Miragaia or Minmi, albeit the description of the chinese novel characters lead me towards theropod

Skorpio V.

Is it possible for Haolonggood to produce a second wave of their GR Toys collaborations? The blue Carcharodontosaurus in particular has soared in value over the orange one in shops where it is available, and entirely vanished everywhere else. For Lanatimeshop, for example, it's $95USD in comparison to the $65USD price tag of the orange one
On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: postsaurischian on June 16, 2023, 11:10:32 AM
Quote from: vampiredesign on June 16, 2023, 10:32:37 AM

My favourite HAOLONGGOOD pic so far ;D . Just beautiful! Great lighting.

I for one have always had absolutely no doubt about HAOLONGGOOD's integrity.
 ..... and I still feel a bit embarrassed for a few people (Everything Dinosaur included) who tried to slander your business.

UUUGGGHHH IT LOOKS SO GOOD!!!!

Quiversaurus

I can't remember if it was mentioned already or announced somewhere - do we have the measurements for the Pachy and Wuerhosaurus yet?

ceratopsian

avatar_Quiversaurus @quiversaurus
The Pachyrhinosaurus is listed as 18 x 8.5 cm
Wuerhosaurus: 18 x 6.5 cm

Quote from: quiversaurus on June 20, 2023, 02:15:35 PMI can't remember if it was mentioned already or announced somewhere - do we have the measurements for the Pachy and Wuerhosaurus yet?

thomasw100

Quote from: ceratopsian on June 20, 2023, 04:53:56 PMavatar_Quiversaurus @quiversaurus

Quote from: quiversaurus on June 20, 2023, 02:15:35 PMI can't remember if it was mentioned already or announced somewhere - do we have the measurements for the Pachy and Wuerhosaurus yet?

That would put Pachyrhinosaurus at 1:44 scale and Wuerhosaurus at 1:39 if I base that on the lengths given at: http://www.prehistoric-wildlife.com

TheImmortalEye

Quote from: thomasw100 on June 20, 2023, 06:24:43 PM
Quote from: ceratopsian on June 20, 2023, 04:53:56 PMavatar_Quiversaurus @quiversaurus

That would put Pachyrhinosaurus at 1:44 scale and Wuerhosaurus at 1:39 if I base that on the lengths given at: http://www.prehistoric-wildlife.com

it can literally range from anywhere theres no point in trying to pinpoint the scale of these animals to double diggets. <lakustai varies from 5 up to freaking 8 metres XD and fossils are a 0.00001 percent estimate of the live animals, which even now vary massively (northern rats as tiny as mice or as big as a cat) https://carnivora.net/pachyrhinosaurus-lakustai-v-albertosaurus-sarcopha-t11599.html

ceratopsian

Also those measurements will be straight-line length, not measured along the curve of the spine. You also need to remember with a model that the different parts are not always manufactured to the same scale - for instance the head might be large in proportion to the legs etc.

But I agree in general on the problems associated with being over-precise about an exact scale for any animal model or toy. If the model is based on a particular fossil specimen you are on firmer ground. That would give you a precise scale for the model - but a scale for its relationship to that fossil, not to the species as a whole. It's important to remember that living animals grow. Their growth is affected by a variety of factors, both genetic, ontological and environmental. Real animals do not roll off a factory production line, all precisely the same size and build. Nor are they like, for instance, model railways or aeroplanes, where the size of the original is fixed - and fully known.

Leyster

avatar_TheImmortalEye @TheImmortalEye there is no thing as 8m lakustai. Biggest Pachyrhinosaurus (and biggest Centrosaurine, with perhaps Sinoceratops rivaling it) is the Pachyrhinosaurus canadensis Drumheller specimen, which is extimated to be more or less seven meters long (source: Dan Folkes). P.lakustai is smaller, around 5-6 meters. In general, Carnivora is a REALLY bad source.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: