News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New For 2023

Started by vampiredesign, November 28, 2022, 07:00:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Over9K

Quote from: Gwangi on June 26, 2023, 11:59:32 PMProbably because there are 3 Nasutoceratops figurines and... how many Tyrannosaurus?

The more there are, the better they have to be?

One would think the opposite, if you're only getting one or a limited number, wouldn't you want it to be as good as possible?

Just funny to me that for the exact same reason, with the exact same skin, one gets applause, one gets jeers.

Collectors are funny.

Bread

Quote from: Gwangi on June 26, 2023, 11:59:32 PMProbably because there are 3 Nasutoceratops figurines and... how many Tyrannosaurus?
Exactly.

Plus the Nasutoceratops is much smaller.
And if I recall correctly that Haolonggood's Tyrannosaurus released some time ago got the same flack for over skin texturing, so this comparison is useless.

Over9K

Quote from: Bread on June 27, 2023, 12:13:23 AM
Exactly.

And if I recall correctly that Haolonggood's Tyrannosaurus released some time ago got the same flack for over skin texturing, so this comparison is useless.

So... something that got complaints previously, is ok now? Huh.

Faelrin

While I agree that Haolonggood's older works were over textured, similar to PNSO's 2020 figures (and this exact topic has been tried before too, with people comparing the highly praised Miragaia, etc, to the heavily criticized Wilson, etc), they have improved pretty quickly, at least since the release of the Apatosaurus it looks like (if ignoring previous year's releases). I think the attention should be drawn to that, rather then focusing what they did in the past, unless they were to go back to doing things in that manner again. That said I think both avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi and avatar_Over9K @Over9K have made good points about this subject.

Also linking my prior post here, so that it will hopefully be noticed and maybe a mod could use it to update the op of the thread.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Gwangi

Quote from: Over9K on June 27, 2023, 12:07:35 AM

The more there are, the better they have to be?

One would think the opposite, if you're only getting one or a limited number, wouldn't you want it to be as good as possible?

Just funny to me that for the exact same reason, with the exact same skin, one gets applause, one gets jeers.

Collectors are funny.

Ever hear the expression beggars can't be choosers? If you want a Nasutoceratops you have three to choose from. If you want a T. rex you have dozens upon dozens with the guarantee that there are more to come. You get as many T. rex options to choose from per year as exist for Nasutoceratops. You can be pickier, more critical. Don't like Wilson's corncob texture? Relax, another T. rex is around the corner (and his name is Cameron). Don't like the absence of lips? Relax, EoFauna is working on that. Get my point?

Anyway, I didn't applaud the Haolonggood Nasutoceratops and don't own it, I have Safari's and it is good enough for me. I don't like the corncob texture on it either but I do find it easier to stomach than on a theropod like T. rex. It just doesn't look as off on a ceratopsian, but that's my personal preferences.

Collectors are funny. In part because they make broad generalizations and assumptions about individuals based on the community reaction to different figures, by different companies, in different topics. How do you know that the same individuals that have an issue with Wilson don't have the same issue with the Haolonggood Nasutoceratops? Unless they explicitly stated so and you can remember who said what.

EDIT: And price is a factor too. I'm going to be more judgmental about a figure that cost $60 than I would be about one that costs $20. 

Bread

Quote from: Over9K on June 27, 2023, 12:25:34 AM
Quote from: Bread on June 27, 2023, 12:13:23 AM
Exactly.

So... something that got complaints previously, is ok now? Huh.

I am slightly confused by this response, but I'll do my best to throw some effort in my response for the slight confusion.

I think the lower amount of criticism for Haolonggood's Tyrannosaurus was due to how low of sales it received. It was still a Tyrannosaurus which sold numbers but fierce competitors like PNSO's Wilson just always outdid it. More sales, more owners of the model, brings more criticism unfortunately. And I do recall quite a bit of people expressing how they would avoid the Haolonggood Tyrannosaurus.

So again, I don't understand your argument here. Clearly, two different figures, the Haolonggood Nasutoceratops, and the PNSO Wilson the Tyrannosaurus. Two different price points, two different sizes.

Also, I'd argue I am more willing to let over textured models, not only at a smaller size, but followed with a comprehensive paint scheme to get a pass.

Samrukia

Paleofiguras posted on Facebook:

Ouranosaurus new edition:
"Apparently, based on these images, the figure has now been corrected and enlarged and the changes can be seen in the paint and the addition of the thumb pick."

Thialfi

If this is to replace the initial release that could be slightly disappointing for early adopters..

Good on them for fixing their error of course!

Gwangi

Well how about that? Good on them for fixing their mistake. I already have the red Ouranosaurus but if they're doing it to both it may convince me to eventually buy the green one too.

Samrukia

if it's official it feels a bit unfair

Bread

That is dedication right there.

I am not in a hurry to grab another, but in time I will. Even if I have the first rendition, I think they could work well as a pair.

Leyster

A brand releasing a figure with an issue? Nooo, it's wrong, I wouldn't buy it!

A brand correcting said issue? Nooo, it's unfair for those who bought it!

...what are they supposed to do? They're triying to amend their previous error, which in my opinion is very appreciable, considering thet other brands have received similar opinions about issues their model have and did absolutely nothing... and this is the norm, since they aren't supposed to do this. They should be praised to be willing to change the mold (dunno how much it costed them, but for sure it was pricier than doing nothing!) so quickly.

"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Samrukia

Quote from: Leyster on June 27, 2023, 04:14:10 PMA brand releasing a figure with an issue? Nooo, it's wrong, I wouldn't buy it!

...what are they supposed to do? They're triying to amend their previous error, which in my opinion is very appreciable, considering thet other brands have received similar opinions about issues their model have and did absolutely nothing... and this is the norm, since they aren't supposed to do this. They should be praised to be willing to change the mold (dunno how much it costed them, but for sure it was pricier than doing nothing!) so quickly.

I dunno but 3rd paint variant would be a solution that satisfies the most

you see, the reason why i am a bit upset is that i loved the figure even with its "inaccuracy" and bought it straight away

Carnoking

Good to see a corrected version though a little annoying since I just picked up both the older ones. I will say though, I still prefer the original color scheme. Feels a bit more natural in its application, so there's a win there.

Thialfi

Quote from: erlectric on June 27, 2023, 04:18:44 PM
Quote from: Leyster on June 27, 2023, 04:14:10 PMA brand releasing a figure with an issue? Nooo, it's wrong, I wouldn't buy it!

I dunno but 3rd paint variant would be a solution that satisfies the most

you see, the reason why i am a bit upset is that i loved the figure even with its "inaccuracy" and bought it straight away
That's my take as well, a 3rd 'deluxe' version would feel more logical. I am slightly confused however: is this version supposed to be larger as well? It's not immediately apparent from the images but the text says so.

Again, I definitely commend Haolonggood for fixing this so quickly, amazing work, and that is definitely what stands out here for me. And I will definitely consider buying a third with fixed inaccuracies, and gift the older one to a friend. I wish more companies would address issues this way.

thomasw100

Quote from: erlectric on June 27, 2023, 04:03:21 PMif it's official it feels a bit unfair

I would really disagree on that one. Do you think it is better to perpetuate errors rather than correcting them when brought to your attention? They made the original version of the figure based on the data / research they had and obviously had overlooked some important aspects in the process. Then reviews of that figure pointed these errors out. In response they subsequently corrected the errors. I really like this approach. The only issue is now that every serious collector would want the corrected version.

thomasw100

I could not agree more. It needs 1) real dedication to producing the best quality products, 2) a willingness to listen to their customers and reviewers, and 3) a real confidence that makes them accept that they made an error in the first place.

ceratopsian

How marvellous that a company cares enough about its product to correct an inaccuracy rather than just shrugging their shoulders!  (A definite inaccuracy, that is, rather than something on which there are a range of tenable views.) Full marks to Haolonggood on that score. Thank you for your commitment to improvement V @vampiredesign.

From my personal point of view, I bought both colours immediately on their release. But every time I see them I can remember how unusual (unique?) a step Haolonggood took. So I'm not at all unhappy.

Samrukia

Quote from: thomasw100 on June 27, 2023, 04:46:15 PM
Quote from: erlectric on June 27, 2023, 04:03:21 PMif it's official it feels a bit unfair

I would really disagree on that one. Do you think it is better to perpetuate errors rather than correcting them when brought to your attention? They made the original version of the figure based on the data / research they had and obviously had overlooked some important aspects in the process. Then reviews of that figure pointed these errors out. In response they subsequently corrected the errors. I really like this approach. The only issue is now that every serious collector would want the corrected version.

i praise Haolonggood for such a dedicated approach of producing their models, honestly. no other company is doing that. i just wish that the updated version would be more distinct at least colorwise

bmathison1972

Quote from: Gwangi on June 27, 2023, 04:03:04 PMWell how about that? Good on them for fixing their mistake. I already have the red Ouranosaurus but if they're doing it to both it may convince me to eventually buy the green one too.

I held out on buying one, but if this error is fixed, I'll get that species from them now too  ^-^

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: