News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mattel - New for 2023

Started by Faelrin, August 27, 2022, 10:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faelrin

I got a bunch of pictures for my HC Ankylosaurus review today, which I finally unboxed today, including a group shot of the Legacy Spinosaurus, HC Ceratosaurus, HC male raptor, and the AC Pteranodon. Will need to update it once the Corythosaurus is on hand though (pre-ordered through Entertainment Earth). Maybe I'll hold off on finishing and submitting the review until then.

Still debating if I want to pick up that JPIII female raptor set or not yet either, which of course would help complete the available JPIII selection. I wasn't particularly a fan of how the female raptor was handled, but that may be an easy fix (really it is just the inaccurate belly paint that bothers me most, other then the issues with the sculpt, but I'll get to that below). Grant and the included accessories are really nice though, but I don't particularly need them. Having them would complete the JPIII selection though, and would be great for a fuller comparison pic. What do folks here think? Yay or nay on picking that set up?

Debating if I'll do a review for the HC male JPIII raptor as well, but I did take some pics of it. I ordered it alongside the HC Concavenator on Entertainment Earth months back/early in the year (FOMO with that one was bad at the time), and it arrived like a week or two ago. Of course the sculpt still has wonky proportions (huge feet, short tail, quills, etc) of the previous HC figures, but in hand it's a not as bad as my first impressions of it from reviews and whatnot. I mean I was really disappointed, even angry, after some of the first in hand pics and video reviews came out of it, when it looked rather good in the promo pics to me. Some of those earlier samples had particularly bad QC in regards to how the yellow paint on the belly and tail connected, which didn't help matters with those first impressions, but on my sample it seems improved. Rest of the paint QC seems fine as well. Only the jaw is a bit wonky on the left side, similar to the older AC raptors, but it still closes for the most part. Somehow the squinty eyes don't look nearly as squinty in hand either, but well I know they still are. The quills are still disappointing, and the ones on the electronic raptor were done far better, if not the recent green and yellow mainline Atrociraptor, with actual rubber quills like on the older AC figure. I also think the way the paint was applied on the head of the electronic figure is much better too (aside from the inaccurate slit pupils). Here's some pics of what my sample is like (forgive the lighting, have to make do with interior only lighting as a result of my current living situation):

Didn't think to grab the original quilled jumping raptor sculpt out of storage when I was there the other day for comparisons. That said not in any particular rush for reviewing that figure with my backlog, and if anyone else wants to review it, then be my guest. I did grab a comparison today between it and the bigger electronic one, just in case if I do it, or if anyone else wants to do it, I can give them the pic. Come to think of it, I forgot to get a comparison between the original AC figure (which is on hand, though still in box), and this HC one. I can do that tomorrow or whenever.

Edit: Forgot to add this quick comparison between the HC Ankylosaurus and Bumpy too. I really hope we can get a HC Bumpy. The tail articulation on this one is really fun.

Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Faelrin

Well the Mattel Creations crowdfund set got revealed. Kind of disappointed to be honest. It seems to be the Jurassic Park Gate (maybe fences too?), the park signs, Tim, Lex, HC TLW buck T. rex, and a Ford Explorer. Maybe the goat too? Apparently all for $250. Gates and signs aside, not sure why this needed a crowdfund, other then all this stuff being crammed together at once? Surely this is stuff that could have been sold at retail (considering most of it already has)? Just feels out of touch tbh.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ct9-ieOLoTJ/

Also I'd much rather have had this stuff individually. I mean I've been wanting a detail accurate buck T. rex for years now. The signs are great too. I have no need for the rest though, when I already have the Legacy versions. Also $250? Nope, no way I can afford that much atm, not when trying to save up for the HC Brachiosaurus, and David Silva's next kickstarter (Cyberzoic), plus everything I just got recently. No doubt there's gonna be a SDCC exclusive on the way too.

Edit: Count down timer (00:15:52) on the Mattel Creations website, so I guess we'll find out more tomorrow.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Carnoking

Yeah... this seems a bit bloated to me. All cool stuff, but that's an inflated price tag to say the least.

TheCambrianCrusader

I reeeaaally hope the Buck isn't restricted to this set cuz that'd be really scummy if it is.
Also it looks like from the picture that the buck is just a simple repaint and not a retool which is definitely disappointing.
If they pull this with the Spinosaurus I think there would be riots on the streets lol

Pachyrhinosaurus

I would definitely buy all of those, but still it's weird that they'd be bundled together like this-- especially with the inclusion of a TLW rex. It's nice that they're branching out from just dinosaurs, humans, and vehicles, though, and we're getting more set pieces from the original film. I've also been hoping for a clean Lex figure.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Blade-of-the-Moon

I think 250.00 would be fine just for the gates in that size. If it lights up, the letters are actually sculpted not just a decal. I don't think any other company would risk selling them though. Same the rest, that's why they ended up here in this project?

These might be stretch goals? Every time a certain number over the goal is met they will add more product.  Look up how the ran the crowdfund for the WWE arena set or the Eternia playset. 

I admit the Buck Rex is an odd an inclusion and if doesn't at least feature a resculpted head that would be no good, especially when the next Rex/car set from the LW does. It was said the teeth are sharper and more detailed on facebook. The paint looks pretty good on it and the Explorer as well.

Prehistory Resurrection

I really like this new Bull T-Rex sculpt. It is obvious that more effort has been put into this one, with the retooled head and the more screen accurate paint job. It's definitely way better than the one  in the set with Malcolm and the Mercedes. However, as said, I don't get its inclusion in this set when it didn't appear in the very first movie. Why wasn't it a more screen accurate Rexy sculpt instead? I like the gates too. It would be neat if the letters and flames can be lit up. Lex and Tim, the goat and the paddock signs are cool extra pieces. Would be more appropriate if this new  Bull T-Rex sculpt came individually. I was hoping for a Visitor Centre Playset, but I guess this set is quite cool too. The price tag however is the main reason that leaves fans divisive on this set.

Dinoxels

I love this set-but $250 is just absurd.
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

MLMjp

First, I don't have 250 to spare. Technically I do, but it is reserved for other stuff.

On to the set, it feels like a bunch of stuff thrown in for the shake of it. Like what's the point of adding the Buck T.rex from TLW in a Jurassic Park set?  Also are the fences included or they are just a background prop?

The gate looks oversized to me. It may be accurate for the film but I feel like they could have made it smaller

In my opinion, this is not how they should have made this. Since this is a set that only collectors will get since is crowdfunded there is no need for humans and dinosaur to be added like with mainline ones. Just have the gates, some fences, the signs, the goat, add a feeder, and maybe keep the explorer and just sell it as a paddock with gates set that collectors can use to recreate scenes from the film or create their own dioramas with.

Bread

Quote from: TheCambrianCrusader on June 27, 2023, 01:03:44 AMI reeeaaally hope the Buck isn't restricted to this set cuz that'd be really scummy if it is.
Very scummy indeed since they know its been a highly requested figure.

Unfortunately it is an easy pass if it's $250 with other unnecessary items I don't want.

I've been only wanting a buck/bull Tyrannosaurus from Mattel. Why is there this rhetoric that companies need to put an absurd "paywall" between a highly desirable item followed with miscellaneous items to justify the price hike, when they're more likely to sell a larger amount when sold individually at a lower price? Absurd.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Dinoxels on June 27, 2023, 12:20:47 PMI love this set-but $250 is just absurd.

Epic Battle Set is 128.00 , only thing new in it was Ellie. https://www.target.com/p/jurassic-world-dominion-epic-battle-pack-figure-set-target-exclusive/-/A-84794397#lnk=sametab

Your paying for all those paint apps I'm guessing. We'll see more in a couple hours, but everyone is always complaining about paint, these are pretty well painted from what I can see. No cheaping out, but that costs money. If I and others had to paint one for sale it would be at least 200 for the one figure.

Quote from: MLMjp on June 27, 2023, 12:41:24 PMFirst, I don't have 250 to spare. Technically I do, but it is reserved for other stuff.

On to the set, it feels like a bunch of stuff thrown in for the shake of it. Like what's the point of adding the Buck T.rex from TLW in a Jurassic Park set?  Also are the fences included or they are just a background prop?

The gate looks oversized to me. It may be accurate for the film but I feel like they could have made it smaller

In my opinion, this is not how they should have made this. Since this is a set that only collectors will get since is crowdfunded there is no need for humans and dinosaur to be added like with mainline ones. Just have the gates, some fences, the signs, the goat, add a feeder, and maybe keep the explorer and just sell it as a paddock with gates set that collectors can use to recreate scenes from the film or create their own dioramas with.

Priorities I guess is what it comes down to.  The gates are the most iconic structure in Jurassic Park I just have to get them. Looking at the older Kenner ones I was so annoyed by how small and incorrect they were. Thin plastic, decals, I mean they worked, but those decals didn't last as I would have liked.   All these extras are probably stretch goals. We'll know more really soon.  I think it's just a way to give fans what they have asked for.  Gates, check.  better paint explorer. check, paddock signs. check HC Bull/Buck Rex. check.  The kids and goat maybe just bonuses.  For 250.00 that's a lot of stuff.

Quote from: Bread on June 27, 2023, 01:34:42 PM
Quote from: TheCambrianCrusader on June 27, 2023, 01:03:44 AMI reeeaaally hope the Buck isn't restricted to this set cuz that'd be really scummy if it is.
Very scummy indeed since they know its been a highly requested figure.

Unfortunately it is an easy pass if it's $250 with other unnecessary items I don't want.

I've been only wanting a buck/bull Tyrannosaurus from Mattel. Why is there this rhetoric that companies need to put an absurd "paywall" between a highly desirable item followed with miscellaneous items to justify the price hike, when they're more likely to sell a larger amount when sold individually at a lower price? Absurd.

They might make another mass release HC Bull/Buck Rex but it won't have these paint apps. If this is a new sculpt as it looks like ( pic is pretty blurry when blown up) then they have the sculpt already.  If you don't want the other items, sell em separately or you can wait for a general release. I think you have options.   

I look at like this. They are asking 250 for the Gates. They may need to sell say 5000 based on a previous crowdfund they did. Stores order a LOT more that. That's how the price goes down.  They want to sweeten the deal and so offer stretch goals like with any crowdfunded project.  From what I see your getting a lot for the price.  It may not be what you want but I'm sure someone will be piecing these out online. For how much I can't say, but you might be better off buying a set and keeping the rex and selling off the excess, someone will but it based on what I've seen in the past.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Crowdfund is live.  I have to say it looks pretty awesome! Should be a video out by Mattel on it tomorrow, sort of like Beyond the Gates I guess?

Details :

We're celebrating Jurassic Park's 30th Anniversary with an awe-inspiring crowdfund! It starts with the enormous fan-demanded motorized entry gates and a first-ever Ford Explorer #5. No expense has been spared on recreating the details, and the collector-level execution extends to all the extras you can unlock from each tier. Say the magic word, fund all the extras, and return with us to a time when dinosaurs ruled the earth!

Jurassic World Hammond Collection The Gates
Gates: H 20.7 inches x W 22.8 inches x D 12.1 inches
Gates require 4 AA batteries (not included)
Enclosure fences: H 9.0 inches x W 14.8 inches
Authentically scaled to all Hammond Collection figures
Accurately sculpted down to each crack and crevice
Motorized door gates with manual override to display the gates in any position
Flickering torch lights guide the way into the park
Gates also play the original movie theme music and ambient jungle sounds 
Comes with Ford Explorer #5 (the one that was left unscathed)
Action-figure scale Explorer features rubber tires and enhanced design details
Includes film-accurate hang tags, navigation screen, and antennas
Only available through this crowdfund
A minimum of 5,000 US-based backers are needed to start making this set come to life. Once the minimum is reached, international backers can join the campaign. With additional backers, everyone gets even more figures and accessories to recreate the excitement. 

At 5,000 backers, you unlock the Jurassic World motorized entrance gates and the Ford Explorer #5

At 6,000 backers, everyone receives a post-electrocution Tim figure and enclosure fences

At 8,000 backers, we'll add the Hammond Collection "Buck" T. rex featured in The Lost World: Jurassic Park

At 10,000 backers, the set is complete with a Lex figure and goat with removable hind leg

Early Funding Bonus: If we reach 5,000 US-based backers in the first two weeks (by July 11), everyone, including international fans, receives a set of six Jurassic Park Paddock Signs

This campaign ends July 26, 2023 at 11:59 PM PT, so join today and tell every Jurassic Park fan you know. Together, you can complete the ultimate collection!

Link: https://creations.mattel.com/products/jurassic-world-the-gates-crowdfund-htv56

Carnoking

I must admit, the Buck looks pretty good! And look at that, proportionate feet. So are we still saying big feet are a necessary evil or...?

Prehistory Resurrection

Dinoxels

Ok, time to rant!
First off, why on Earth are stretch goals unlocked via backer numbers and not money?!!?
Like, do they need to show the higher ups that enough people want them? Why not give backers a set goal of money to work towards, then people can just donate different amounts? Idk, this whole thing seems super scummy. I doubt we unlock that amazing Rex repaint.

Carnoking

Also, if I'm understanding this correctly, you pay 250 dollars (plus shipping) and best case scenario that gets you everything but if they only get around 5,000 backers you're out the same amount for just the fences and car? Seems a bit of a bum deal if they don't do as well as they hope on backers.

Dinoxels

Quote from: Carnoking on June 27, 2023, 05:51:52 PMAlso, if I'm understanding this correctly, you pay 250 dollars (plus shipping) and best case scenario that gets you everything but if they only get around 5,000 backers you're out the same amount for just the fences and car? Seems a bit of a bum deal if they don't do as well as they hope on backers.
Exactly.

andrewsaurus rex

i think it looks pretty good.  The price means I probably will not get it.  However I suspect, much like the Hasbro Jabba's Sail Barge, the price will skyrocket once production stops,....so it would be a good investment.  Maybe get 2, sell one in a couple of years and it will pay for the other one plus put cash in your pocket.

Flaffy

$250 is very steep for just the gate and car. The way they're going about this campaign is quite weird too. We need 5000 US Backers before international backers can join? Wouldn't that just be shooting yourself in the foot for the chances of the project taking off in the first place? ???

The smaller feet on Buck proves that these figures never needed those clown shoes in the first place. I really don't understand how there are still people that defend Mattel's awful design choices with poorly thought out strawman arguments.

Tons of print lines on the Buck rex head prototype... I wouldn't count on the final plastic release having this level of detail and/or teeth sharpness if that's the case.

Carnoking

Guess I'll wait to be backer 10,000 then. Definitely an all or nothing set at that price tag.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: