News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mattel - New for 2023

Started by Faelrin, August 27, 2022, 10:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faelrin

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy Tbh I feel bad about forgetting what Poposaurus was. I thought it was a theropod for a hot minute. Probably because they made the legs digitigrade like the Postosuchus, etc in the past. I also agree it looks really similar to the HC Concavenator from what we see here. Enough to have it stand in as like a juvenile for it.

So from what I can tell we have in total, either coming later this year, or next year:

-Allosaurus
-Avaceratops
-Carnotaurus (HC)
-Craterosaurus
-Dimetrodon (HC)
-Eoraptor
-Gryposuchus (I think, had to ai upscale the image, and can vaguely make out something that looks like that, so I think avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy was right to call it as this one)
-Kaprosuchus
-Kileskus
-Plesiosaurus
-Poposaurus
-Stegouros
-Suchosaurus or Szechuanosaurus (not sure which, green one above the Kaprosuchus)
-Tuojiangosaurus
-Velociraptor (repack of 2022 Legacy Collection, and 2022 Danger Pack, HC Blue)

That leaves three with names too blurry/pixelated that even ai upscaling doesn't help much. Best guess for the stegosaur is Wuerhosaurus or Hesperosaurus. There's also pretty clearly an abelisaur of some kind.

Edit: Added and correct a few.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Lynx

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on June 28, 2023, 05:59:00 PM
Quote from: Shane on June 28, 2023, 04:47:49 PM
Quote from: stargatedalek on June 28, 2023, 04:11:55 PMYou'd think that, but no retailer would ever be willing to stock this set, and larger companies like Mattel are a lot more reliant on them. It's easy to forget that as large as they are, Mattel currently still sits far smaller than Hasbro, and are largely at the mercy of big box stores.

For the most part, I agree with you. However, Mattel's JP/JW lines seem to be one of the most consistent current franchises that bucks the trend that big box stores don't want large items. Usually, big items take up too much shelf real estate, but Mattel has shown that big box stores are willing to take on multiple Colossal scale dinos (7 if I'm not mistaken?), multiple large sauropods (3 so far), plus large figures like various Rexes, Spinosaurs, and Indos that are larger than most other available toys that share the same aisle. The upcoming HC Brachio as well, it's close in size to the Legacy Brachio but much more expensive, complex, and geared toward the collector rather than the child.

The gate would have been a bit of a step up, but I think Mattel could have made a case for it. I think if they could have sold it disassembled to conserve as much packaging space as possible, priced it at something reasonable, it could for sure have had a place amongst the other large sized Jurassic offerings.

All those big pieces your talking about are dinosaurs though, not playsets with just buildings or cars. The large dinosaurs are also pretty limited too. My Targets only have two Dreadnoghtus sitting on the shelf now, no Brachs, Apatos, ect.. that are in the main scale line. Mattel has tried in the past to get them to offer playsets, there was a Nedry set and another we saw concept art of that just never made it due to Target not wanting it.  From what I understand it took a real push to get them to carry the brachiosaurus, Mattel Universal and Target had to figure it out. Once it showed a demand they approved more.  If this crowdfund showed them demand then maybe Target would approve more similar projects?

Quote from: Gwangi on June 28, 2023, 05:11:15 PMThat Allosaurus looks to be Mattel's best so far but I'm sure there's a Hammond Collection one coming eventually.

Yeah and it's probably next what with the new size of the Carnotaurus. I can't tell exactly but this Allo seems to have Rex teeth?

Quote from: andrewsaurus rex on June 28, 2023, 05:15:57 PMOnce again Mattel produces dinos I've never heard of.

Anyway, back to the Gates, this may be old news but this site has some nice close up pics.  I like the post electrocution Tim figure and the removable leg on the goat.  :)

https://www.superherohype.com/geek-culture/538719-mattel-crowdfunding-jurassic-park-the-gates-playset

So, how does this work, do ONLY the crowdfunders get the set,  or once it's funded, will Mattel produce extras to sell over time to new people that want one?

If you want it, you need to pledge for it. Usually there aren't extra pieces made unless it's a handful to cover damage in shipping or something.

Quote from: Flaffy on June 28, 2023, 09:48:01 AMavatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon

Sure, for the mainline. The excuses falls apart when you apply them to the supposed premium collector's line though... Last I checked the HC was marketed towards adult collectors, and having them sold on store shelves is not a valid excuse just because a kid might ask for it. Moreover, it's been proven time and time again that oversized feet are not strictly necessary for stability (see Marco's customs and the most recent HC releases with more proportionate feet). People who still find ways to justify clown feet are choosing to willingly ignore this major point.

I'm not ignoring anything, just looking at it from a retailer perspective. Retailers don't want parents coming in returning a 50.00 item because the " this stupid thing doesn't even stand up" . They do test these with all sort ages, yes it's a "collector's line " but if it were for sale when I was a kid I would have mowed a few yards to get it. I know all about Marco's customs and the like. I have seen a lot of kids play with a lot of dinosaur toys over the years. They don't have as much coordination. Some of us as kids were more delicate with our toys, we carefully set them up made dioramas, ect..other kids are brutes with toys. If it doesn't stand up kids get frustrated, parents hear it.  Mattel made larger feet for stability, that's it. They applied this reasoning to their current products at the time, so we have larger feet on mass market collectors toys. Now it looks like they are trying something new and improving, but we complain about how we didn't get progress sooner? I simply don't understand.

Quote from: Shane on June 28, 2023, 02:59:34 PM
Quote from: Flaffy on June 28, 2023, 09:48:01 AMavatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon

Sure, for the mainline. The excuses falls apart when you apply them to the supposed premium collector's line though... Last I checked the HC was marketed towards adult collectors, and having them sold on store shelves is not a valid excuse just because a kid might ask for it. Moreover, it's been proven time and time again that oversized feet are not strictly necessary for stability (see Marco's customs and the most recent HC releases with more proportionate feet). People who still find ways to justify clown feet are choosing to willingly ignore this major point.

Re: Bull rex
I highly doubt the final production piece is going to look this good. It's a printed and hand painted prototype after all. I fully expect the following downgrades IF it were actually produced for this crowdfunder:
- blunted teeth
- simpler paint
- less sharp detail

Additionally, I don't really buy that Target wouldn't sell this. Target has shown time and again that they will devote large shelf real estate to JP items. You've got Colossal scale figures, large sauropods, big T-rexes from the main line to HC.

The HC Brachio pretty much sinks that whole theory - it's an expensive, complicated item, very large, geared to adults, and Target is selling it.

I just do not see $250 of value in the gates and Explorer alone, even with the lights, sounds and other electronics. It's just not a $250 piece.

The way they went about it is just, really, not the way to get people on board. Locking so much of what many will deem essential behind stretch goals just kills any incentive for me.

I would much rather, honestly, see the gate, fencing, and paddock markers as the main thing. Maybe with a dinosaur (not necessarily the buck rex, but something), and maybe one figure, Tim or Lex. Then stretch goals could be Explorer, the other human, the goat, little bells and whistles that make the purchase that much more palatable. But if all you're giving is the gate and car and expecting people to risk getting only that for $250...it's a no from me.

I tried to get a quote once for a set of static in scale gates made for my dioramas. Artist quote me 500.00 If I built it myself the materials would be close to 300.00 not counting the time, I can't see how this isn't a deal?

Quote from: Lynx on June 28, 2023, 03:30:31 PMI feel like this is a huge miss. Nobody wants to pay 2,000+ (just from what I'm hearing) for a single Rex that you can get customized for cheaper, except the most dedicated collectors

Not sure where you heard that..it's 250.00 to pledge for all of it if the goals are met.

So sorry for the huge quote, but I'm on a tiny mobile device and select isn't working. I heard it on Instagram under a post announcing it, probably not the best source
An oversized house cat.

PrimevalRaptor

I think that green theropod may be Suchosaurus and not Szechuansaurus which fits Mattels "let's make a fragmentary species" bill (and given that it's a spinosaurid IIRC this doesnt look too on the mark)

MLMjp

Literally a bunch of genus I could care less about with some exceptions:

The Eoraptor vs Stegouros double pack.
The Kaprosuchus
The Tuojiangosaurus that is way too small, why it isnĀ“t a medium size dinosaur? Are you telling me Kentrosaurus will tower over it when it should be the other way?

Mattel, please, stop with the obscure species, there still quite a decent amount of recognizable species you have not made toys of....

I have to make a separate comment for the Allosaurus, while the greater movie accuracy is a good thing in itself, I personally find the JW adult Allosaurus design to be kinda ugly (dare I say, I like the Baryonyx and Giganotosaurus designs better than the adult Allo) The extreme damage Allosaurus softens that ugliness while still resembling the one seen on the film, this one...

Shane

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on June 28, 2023, 05:59:00 PMI tried to get a quote once for a set of static in scale gates made for my dioramas. Artist quote me 500.00 If I built it myself the materials would be close to 300.00 not counting the time, I can't see how this isn't a deal?

Because of economies of scale? You absolutely cannot compare a one-off custom piece to a mass produced item that Mattel is making 5,000 of, at minimum.

An artist quoting you a price to presumably hand-make a unique one-of-a-kind piece is vastly different from Mattel creating molds and making thousands or even tens of thousands of these. They are worlds apart.

You can find artists on Instagram that 3D sculpt and print their own JP-inspired highly articulated dinosaur figurines, and they'll frequently cost hundreds or thousands of dollars for ONE. Meanwhile an HC rex is $50 at Target. They are not the same.

If Mattel wanted to "test the waters" with a playset like this, they royally fumbled the ball.

There's a reason the backer count is at a snail's pace. People want this, they just don't want to risk pledging $250 for ONLY a gate and Explorer if this thing manages to get between 5k and 6k backers. Which, if it gets funded at all, is by far the most likely outcome.

If someone wants to pledge and is satisfied with the gate and Explorer at that price, that's fine. I buy things all the time that I think are worth it, but I'm sure others would scoff at.

But you won't get too far trying to convince others it's a good deal. The backer count shows what the majority of the fandom thinks about this.

Faelrin

avatar_PrimevalRaptor @PrimevalRaptor Good point about that. I'll make an edit above, since it could be either or atm. Hard to tell.

By the way, haven't seen it mentioned yet, but Collect Jurassic mentioned that there will be a HC Dimetrodon, Owen, and Blue coming next year, alongside the HC Carnotaurus. So it seems these leaks are for next year. Gonna be a bit of a wait since we are only halfway through the year now. I think this was about the time the leaks for this year's Wave 1 releases popped up though.

Gwangi

Quote from: Faelrin on June 28, 2023, 08:16:39 PMavatar_PrimevalRaptor @PrimevalRaptor Good point about that. I'll make an edit above, since it could be either or atm. Hard to tell.

By the way, haven't seen it mentioned yet, but Collect Jurassic mentioned that there will be a HC Dimetrodon, Owen, and Blue coming next year, alongside the HC Carnotaurus. So it seems these leaks are for next year. Gonna be a bit of a wait since we are only halfway through the year now. I think this was about the time the leaks for this year's Wave 1 releases popped up though.

I don't own a Blue yet so I might buy one in the HC line. Really hope they fix the proportions though.

I would consider an HC Owen and Clare but only if they're Jurassic World figures, not FK or Dominion.

Dimetrodon is an exciting prospect. Never crossed mind that there should be one for some reason.

stargatedalek

Gotta get me a pack of those little Eoraptor.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Shane on June 28, 2023, 08:12:51 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on June 28, 2023, 05:59:00 PMI tried to get a quote once for a set of static in scale gates made for my dioramas. Artist quote me 500.00 If I built it myself the materials would be close to 300.00 not counting the time, I can't see how this isn't a deal?

Because of economies of scale? You absolutely cannot compare a one-off custom piece to a mass produced item that Mattel is making 5,000 of, at minimum.

An artist quoting you a price to presumably hand-make a unique one-of-a-kind piece is vastly different from Mattel creating molds and making thousands or even tens of thousands of these. They are worlds apart.

You can find artists on Instagram that 3D sculpt and print their own JP-inspired highly articulated dinosaur figurines, and they'll frequently cost hundreds or thousands of dollars for ONE. Meanwhile an HC rex is $50 at Target. They are not the same.

If Mattel wanted to "test the waters" with a playset like this, they royally fumbled the ball.

There's a reason the backer count is at a snail's pace. People want this, they just don't want to risk pledging $250 for ONLY a gate and Explorer if this thing manages to get between 5k and 6k backers. Which, if it gets funded at all, is by far the most likely outcome.

If someone wants to pledge and is satisfied with the gate and Explorer at that price, that's fine. I buy things all the time that I think are worth it, but I'm sure others would scoff at.

But you won't get too far trying to convince others it's a good deal. The backer count shows what the majority of the fandom thinks about this.

I can't see why not? My options are do it myself or pay someone else. It's a lot cheaper for me to pay 250.00 no matter who is making it or how many.

Your sort of making my case for me. Take this Buck Rex, you'll pay 250 or more to an artist to repaint one much less for the parts needed to make it film accurate.  Here your getting one ( if it reaches 8k ) for that price plus more items. It's a much better deal in the end.

The backer count shows how many don't understand the specifics. I've spent all day trying to explain how it works. The majority of these fans have never participated in a crowdfund before.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Gwangi on June 28, 2023, 08:46:33 PM
Quote from: Faelrin on June 28, 2023, 08:16:39 PMavatar_PrimevalRaptor @PrimevalRaptor Good point about that. I'll make an edit above, since it could be either or atm. Hard to tell.

I don't own a Blue yet so I might buy one in the HC line. Really hope they fix the proportions though.

I would consider an HC Owen and Clare but only if they're Jurassic World figures, not FK or Dominion.

Dimetrodon is an exciting prospect. Never crossed mind that there should be one for some reason.

I can't figure why we don't have a JW version of Claire yet?

According to Target's Beyond the Gates schedule there area few more HC releases for this year still.

Carnoking

Did they ever do a Beyond the Gates for the Infant rex, Stego, Nedry, and Hammond? I'm wondering if those might eat up a reveal or two despite already being available elsewhere.

Carnoking

And I gotta say, based on what I've seen from that live stream, the Buck rex looks incredible. I could be swayed to shell out early for that if it gets unlocked...

Carnoking

In more immediate news, my Walmart actually had some pretty decent new stock for once with multiple Borealopelta and Macaw Pyroraptors (although I can do without that thing). Only one Dakosaurus though, and unfortunately both eyes were misprints. Still, I know better than to pass on these smaller figures these days. Odds are, I won't see them again.

Bread

If anyone is curious, there is approximately 800 backers so far with 27 days left.

Shane

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on June 29, 2023, 05:53:38 AMI can't see why not? My options are do it myself or pay someone else. It's a lot cheaper for me to pay 250.00 no matter who is making it or how many.

Your sort of making my case for me. Take this Buck Rex, you'll pay 250 or more to an artist to repaint one much less for the parts needed to make it film accurate.  Here your getting one ( if it reaches 8k ) for that price plus more items. It's a much better deal in the end.

The backer count shows how many don't understand the specifics. I've spent all day trying to explain how it works. The majority of these fans have never participated in a crowdfund before.

What I was saying about the comparison is that while $250 is indeed cheaper than $500 (and like I said, if you want to pay that, it's fine) it doesn't mean that's what it justifiably SHOULD cost.

Regarding the Buck rex...IF it gets to 8k. That's a HUGE if.

I've participated in several crowdfunds, including crowdfunds by major companies, and this is 100% NOT how to do it. The reason this is going so slow is precisely because Mattel doesn't seem to get how a crowdfunding project works in order to entice backers. It's been laid out many times how other companies and individuals have successfully done it, such as Hasbro and BOTM, and how they have also UNsuccessfully done it, and what went wrong.

Like I said, if you want to pay that much for this, I don't begrudge you. It does look great, and if it's worth it to you, then that's perfectly okay.

But the way this crowdfund is going, it seems quite clear that it's not worth it to a lot of people. If they would've put more in the initial offering, maybe increased the backer ceiling from 5K to 8k or 10k if they needed to, I think it would've rubbed less people the wrong way.

As it is, a lot of people are not willing to roll the dice for the gate alone at that price. The sentiment is pretty unanimous in the communities I've been discussing it in, and folks have definitely participated in crowdfunds before.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Carnoking on June 29, 2023, 11:45:01 AMDid they ever do a Beyond the Gates for the Infant rex, Stego, Nedry, and Hammond? I'm wondering if those might eat up a reveal or two despite already being available elsewhere.

I'm not sure..I think they did? I recall Hammond with his ice cream being discussed somewhere? But it could have just been a review?

Faelrin

Probably going slower, despite the huge Jurassic collector base (probably a lot more then BotM), because:

• Likely people waiting to see if a SDCC exclusive is revealed first since $250 (or more for inernational folks) is a lot up front. In other words terrible timing, and there are folks like myself who can (possibly) only choose one.
  • Lower income brackets cut off. Can't afford $250 up front? Can't contribute until payment plans are unlocked. A lot of folks are struggling in today's economy with all the price gouging going on and can't afford to shell out that much on a whim. I certainly don't have $250 up front atm, and typically wouldn't spend that kind of money at once except with David's campaigns anyways (which I'm trying to save up for his next right now).
  • International support blocked until over 5,000 backers or over $1 million is raised. Might have even cost them support overall by putting a bad taste in their mouth.
  • Paywalling the highly desired buck T. rex between a $2 million stretch goal. That's a turn off for many folks who will not feel this is financially worth it (see point above again), unless the last funding goal is reached, and includes absolutely everything, or at least up to the T. rex. When many people do not feel they are getting their initial value's worth from your initial goal's offerings (gate and explorer), you screwed up. There's also people who only want the buck T. rex and nothing else, costing them support (until it unlocks).
  • The fact a multi billion company is doing a crowdfund (never mind the corporate greed going on here) at all is a turn off for some people (which I've seen mentioned on social media).

Eatmycar

I'm disappointed this seems to be going nowhere. I'm disappointed in Mattel and the fandom, frankly. But, I feel we've all seen the same points over and over again, so I can't say I really care to belabor them.

I do hope we get the T. rex on shelves if this dies, frankly. I also can't understand why Brachiosaurus wasn't put in this instead. That seems like a much higher-risk item and would quell complaints that the male rex wasn't in Jurassic Park as well.

I also am baffled at why this wasn't advertised months ago and teased months ago. Then again, Jurassic Park 30 has been half-assed by Universal so I'm not exactly surprised.

Carnoking

CollectJurassic says that international backing is now open. Mattel must have realized what an oopsie it was to hold off on that till getting 5,000 US backers

Faelrin

The campaign page for it still says otherwise though:

QuoteA minimum of 5,000 US-based backers are needed to start making this set come to life. Once the minimum is reached, international backers can join the campaign. With additional backers, everyone gets even more figures and accessories to recreate the excitement.

But the FAQ says this:

QuoteI live outside the U.S. Can I participate in this crowdfund campaign?
Pre-orders will open for international shoppers beginning June 30, 2023. We'll ship to any country listed in the "Country" field that appears on the Shipping page of your checkout process. See the current list of countries and restrictions at https://creations.mattel.com/pages/shipping-rates-policy.  

If they truly did allow international backers to join now, then they need to correct the campaign page to say such, since the FAQ is at the bottom of the page and out of the way.

Looks like payment plans are available now as well?

QuoteDo you offer a financing option?
In addition to pre-orders placed via credit card (MasterCard, Visa), you have the option to finance your pre-order beginning June 30, 2023. Through Shop Pay, you can split your purchase into installment payments with no additional, hidden, or late fees. Learn more about this option at Paypal. Learn more about this option at Shop Pay.

It previously stated this:

QuoteDo you offer a financing option?
The first 5,000 U.S.-based pre-orders can only be placed via credit card (American Express, Discover, MasterCard, Visa). Once the project has been funded by 5,000 U.S.-based backers, all subsequent backers of the project will have the option to finance their pre-orders. Through Paypal or Shop Pay you can split your purchase into installment payments with no additional, hidden, or late fees. Learn more about this option at Paypal. Learn more about this option at Shop Pay.

I appreciate Mattel listening to feedback and criticism, and trying to change things up so the ball can get moving (and hopefully gets far enough to get the buck unlocked).

I'll see if I can qualify for a financing option sometime later today or throughout this funding period.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: