News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mattel - New for 2023

Started by Faelrin, August 27, 2022, 10:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwangi

Quote from: ItsTwentyBelow on July 06, 2023, 03:48:28 PMI've been finding the Prestosuchus and Borealopelta waves on Fred Meyer store shelves for weeks now in both western and eastern Washington state. Herrerasaurus and Edaphosaurus showed up there months ago, as well as at Oregon Fred Meyer stores.

The distribution for these toys makes no sense if a traditional big box retailer in one region is able to somehow beat even Amazon to the punch with items by a month or more, so consistently.

I'm on the east coast and Walmart is still carrying Dominion toys and stuff from last fall/winter. Target hasn't stocked any of the Attack Pack or similar small sized toys for what feels like years now, and Best Buy (which other people have luck with) isn't carrying Jurassic World at all. So for a lot of the smaller figures, Amazon is it, assuming they have them at all and for retail price.

Faelrin

I'm in the same boat as avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi. East coast (PA) and my retailers for this stuff are always late, or bust. Been that way for years. Only things that seem to have no problem being found are the medium electronic toys, and the yearly large theropods. Had no luck at Best Buy the last time I checked too. Last time I visited they restructured the store, and it seems electronic focused only now. They used to have a pretty sizable section for Jurassic and other figures in the back, as well as amiibo, in previous years. Kind of dumb that they sell them online, but yet you can't pick what you order.

It's such a shame the distribution for these smaller figures (last year with Dominion was the only exception) has been consistently and largely terrible here in the US (at least my area) since 2020. It's especially problematic as some of their smaller figures are generally some of their better offerings, like this year's Nothosaurus and Borealopelta. My friend in Germany managed to find a Nothosaurus for me, but hoping he can find a Borealopelta (maybe Dakosaurus too), before I request shipping from him.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

MLMjp

Now that you guys are talking about distribution. My country's main department store has decided to stock legacy collection sets again after completely ignoring the ones that came out during the dominion toyline (Still mad that I had to give up getting the Roland Tembo set because of it) It's just the Ellie with Jeep set for now but hopefully the SHOOT HER! set arrives.

I though they were done with them because the previous ones (Dennis Nedry and Ford Explorer) shelf warmed for a while.

Faelrin

avatar_MLMjp @MLMjp I think that Tembo set is still available here in the US. Let me know if you need help with it. Pretty sure I spotted it in stock the last time I visited Target and picked up my JP 30th sets.

MLMjp

Quote from: Faelrin on July 06, 2023, 10:47:52 PMavatar_MLMjp @MLMjp I think that Tembo set is still available here in the US. Let me know if you need help with it. Pretty sure I spotted it in stock the last time I visited Target and picked up my JP 30th sets.
Thanks for the offer avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin, but my budget is tight right now and I don't want to add too much extra acquisitions currently.

ItsTwentyBelow

Quote from: PrimevalRaptor on July 06, 2023, 05:18:06 PMDistribution is a total mess here, still haven't seen a Nothosaurus in stores and the local Smyths still got the Dominion attack packs on the shelves, meanwhile another store started getting in the wave with Irritator/Orkoraptor but none of the new smaller figures which are the ones I'm most interested in.
Waiting for a sale maybe cause the Orkoraptor does look pretty cool in hand (the Irritator as well) but I usually don't go that ham on the larger figures.

Cool that you found the Orkoraptor! That's a wave I haven't seen anywhere yet, and I think I'll pick up the Orko.

Target stores around here seem to stock stuff in waves. Nothing new has come at Target since the JP30 stuff and the Geosternbergia HC wave. Terrible upkeep with the Danger Pack assortment there. I haven't seen the Ankylosaurus either. Best Buys here do have a modest JW section, but the Fred Meyers just keep on cranking them out. Might get that neat Macaw color Pyropraptor, even though I am not a huge fan of that sculpt.

Faelrin

avatar_ItsTwentyBelow @ItsTwentyBelow

Amazon did get the Orkoraptor/Regaliceratops wave in a bit ago, but they seem out of stock now. Not sure if Entertainment Earth or Big Bad Toy Store got any of those in, or has them in stock still. Will need to check. BBTS is the more ideal option with $4 flat shipping if both of those were to have them.

By the way, if you have the time, or next time you can check, and if any are in stock then, could you please pick me up a Borealopelta? Will gladly compensate you for it (including shipping). Debating if I still want to bother with the Dakosaurus and Pyroraptor, or at least for now though. I mean I guess it would make sense to go for them too, but I'm also trying to limit my spending, and the Borealopelta is one I would like to review for the blog here. It would be much cheaper to go for those here in the US then in Germany (where my friend got the Nothosaurus for me, and ultimately cut down on the shipping from there), avoiding the conversion rates and (higher) international shipping.

If I recall right avatar_EmperorDinobot @EmperorDinobot offered to help me with the Borelopelta, but I'm not sure if he's had the time or luck with that at all lately.

Edit: May as well share this image of the upcoming Epic Attack Atrociraptor and Dimetrodon. Not sure if it is a two pack, or these are sold separately yet. Hoping they use their film canon sounds from Dominion.

EmperorDinobot

So you still need Borealopelta and Parrot Pyroraptor? I don't know when I'll be outside of the house again, but they showed up at Walmart at last, so I'll get you those if I go out. No promises though, avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin , the situation at home has become very VERY bad. It's why I stopped posting reviews. If anybody else can help you out, go with them lol.

I feel like these are some of Mattel's best, maybe not in terms of accuracy, but so far, only 8 have been reppaints/remold/retools. The rest have all been new dinosaurs.

Blade-of-the-Moon

If someone finds a Borealopelta I'll be happy to pay for it or do trade. Checked my walmart today and nada. My Best Buys have nothing and of course we don't even have a Fred Meyer.

MLMjp

Quote from: Faelrin on July 07, 2023, 12:45:12 AMEdit: May as well share this image of the upcoming Epic Attack Atrociraptor and Dimetrodon. Not sure if it is a two pack, or these are sold separately yet. Hoping they use their film canon sounds from Dominion.

You should know by now that unless it is a Velociraptor, a Dilophosaurus, a Carnotaurus, or one of the big bad theropods, Mattel will never give the figures the correct sounds.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: MLMjp on July 07, 2023, 10:58:00 AM
Quote from: Faelrin on July 07, 2023, 12:45:12 AMEdit: May as well share this image of the upcoming Epic Attack Atrociraptor and Dimetrodon. Not sure if it is a two pack, or these are sold separately yet. Hoping they use their film canon sounds from Dominion.

You should know by now that unless it is a Velociraptor, a Dilophosaurus, a Carnotaurus, or one of the big bad theropods, Mattel will never give the figures the correct sounds.

I saw JW:D several times and I can't even recall what they sounded like. I guess as long as it's not a Rex,Raptor, Dilo, any of the main ones or Godzilla lol we should be ok?   

Faelrin

I play a lot of JWE2 with those species (more so the Dimetrodon), so I'm familiar with its cute grunts and hisses. The Atrociraptor I fully expect recycled raptor sounds, but they did have some unique sounds in the film (and game). Overall not a big deal, since no idea when these will release, and if I would pick them up or not this year with everything else. On occasions they have given some of the other species film canon sounds, like with both the CC Bumpy and Pierce figures, which was shocking.

So I also checked the crowdfund again out of curiosity. Still hasn't even reached 25% yet (with 19 days remaining, or less then 3 weeks). Tangent below:
Spoiler
I'm starting to think they not only put off people that would have backed it (over priced cost, poorly structured stretch goals & contents, etc) like myself and others, but they probably way overshot the demand there would be for something like this to begin with. Definitely not 5,000 people, let alone 10,000. Maybe 2,000 could have been more feasible, if it was structured better and cost less. By having a bit over 1,000 backers though, that should tell them there is at least still some interest for something like this. albeit perhaps the bare minimum needed to make production worth it. That was roughly the amount of Lockwood Battle Damage sets out there, if I recall correctly (I think the number originated from the 2018 SDCC Mattel thing). Honestly though I still don't think they should have gotten their hands into doing crowdfunding period, and that alone has obviously turned people away too (such as can be seen in various instagram comments). They are a multi billion dollar company, and one of the most successful toy companies in the world period (that have been around since my father was a child, who was born in 1960!). That's something the little man has to rely on to make their dreams reality. An alternative would have been to just have a limit needed (such as 1,000 minimum) to guarantee production. None of this asking for over 1 million USD up front nonsense.
[close]

Edit: Honestly if they had just started with just the film accurate gate, fences, and paddock signs initially (edit: maybe the goat too) this might have been doing a lot better (but still a lot of the above still stands). I would have totally considered shelling out $250 for all that initially. All of that is fresh stuff that isn't retools either, which hasn't been done since the Kenner days. I, and many others have no real need for Explorer number 5, like it's nice and all, but just number 4 was good enough for me, or either or. I imagine the demand and interest for both is not from the majority of folks. In any case I left two comments on one of the instagram posts. I doubt it will be read, but who knows.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Faelrin on July 07, 2023, 05:07:34 PMI play a lot of JWE2 with those species (more so the Dimetrodon), so I'm familiar with its cute grunts and hisses. The Atrociraptor I fully expect recycled raptor sounds, but they did have some unique sounds in the film (and game). Overall not a big deal, since no idea when these will release, and if I would pick them up or not this year with everything else. On occasions they have given some of the other species film canon sounds, like with both the CC Bumpy and Pierce figures, which was shocking.

So I also checked the crowdfund again out of curiosity. Still hasn't even reached 25% yet (with 19 days remaining, or less then 3 weeks). Tangent below:
Spoiler
I'm starting to think they not only put off people that would have backed it (over priced cost, poorly structured stretch goals & contents, etc) like myself and others, but they probably way overshot the demand there would be for something like this to begin with. Definitely not 5,000 people, let alone 10,000. Maybe 2,000 could have been more feasible, if it was structured better and cost less. By having a bit over 1,000 backers though, that should tell them there is at least still some interest for something like this. albeit perhaps the bare minimum needed to make production worth it. That was roughly the amount of Lockwood Battle Damage sets out there, if I recall correctly (I think the number originated from the 2018 SDCC Mattel thing). Honestly though I still don't think they should have gotten their hands into doing crowdfunding period, and that alone has obviously turned people away too (such as can be seen in various instagram comments). They are a multi billion dollar company, and one of the most successful toy companies in the world period (that have been around since my father was a child, who was born in 1960!). That's something the little man has to rely on to make their dreams reality. An alternative would have been to just have a limit needed (such as 1,000 minimum) to guarantee production. None of this asking for over 1 million USD up front nonsense.
[close]

Edit: Honestly if they had just started with just the film accurate gate, fences, and paddock signs initially (edit: maybe the goat too) this might have been doing a lot better (but still a lot of the above still stands). I would have totally considered shelling out $250 for all that initially. All of that is fresh stuff that isn't retools either, which hasn't been done since the Kenner days. I, and many others have no real need for Explorer number 5, like it's nice and all, but just number 4 was good enough for me, or either or. I imagine the demand and interest for both is not from the majority of folks. In any case I left two comments on one of the instagram posts. I doubt it will be read, but who knows.

In regards to the crowdfund, I've seen a lot of confusion about it. I thought by now most people were familiar with them? Like Kickstarter has been around awhile?  But I keep seeing people having to help others, explain things and even do faqs because fans don't understand how it works. 

I'm also hearing people say they are pulling back from big purchases everywhere. A sort of economic panic? So it may not have been the best time to try this.

Faelrin

I mean look with the BotM Tyrannosaur series thread. I had to help explain how it worked for a lot of people (and even made a FAQ for the op, but not everyone looked at it, or knew to check there right away). There's always going to be first timers coming across stuff like this that will need help, both young and old. I didn't think of that earlier, and people not familiar with or understanding how any of this works may have been turned away as well.

I see it in a lot of places, like reddit, and such, and a lot of people are living paycheck to paycheck, and are barely lucky to be able to spend on anything except bills and other necessities, if at all. Wages are stagnant overall in a lot of places, and are way behind the current cost of living in a lot of places, and it doesn't help corporations just keep rising prices on things just for even more profit, yeah cutting costs on overall product quality in many cases (like Mattel's mainline for something relevant). Add on things like the awful healthcare system, student loans, etc, it makes it a lot harder for many folks, and this is just the US, anything goes for outside which could be better or worse. If anyone can shell out $250 on a whim in this day and age, and not need to save up for it first, they are probably very lucky with their current circumstances, and ought to not take them for granted. Like it's nuts that we can barely afford our circumstances despite income from at least four of us, above minimum wage, and that was before the motel living we got thrown into. Back when my parents where younger they could afford to have a house just between the two of them. Things are definitely way worse now.

Shane

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on July 07, 2023, 06:10:16 PMIn regards to the crowdfund, I've seen a lot of confusion about it. I thought by now most people were familiar with them? Like Kickstarter has been around awhile?  But I keep seeing people having to help others, explain things and even do faqs because fans don't understand how it works. 

I'm also hearing people say they are pulling back from big purchases everywhere. A sort of economic panic? So it may not have been the best time to try this.

I'm surprised at how many folks are aware of this project who seem not only unfamiliar with the overall idea of crowdfunding, but also are holding it against a big company like Mattel doing a crowdfund, as if they're only something that small independent folks should be utilizing.

This isn't the first crowdfund from a large toy company, and it's not even Mattel's first crowdfund. In fact they have several going on right now.

It's a way to get big idea products made that likely wouldn't survive at retail by guaranteeing a customer base. For all the issues I have with this project, the fact that it exists as a crowdfund isn't one of them.

But yeah, it's strange to see how many people are just not at all familiar with the concept. I guess I overestimated how "common knowledge" it was.

Also, as someone who has participated in several HasLab crowdfunds, it definitely gets to a point of oversaturation. When big toy companies have one big crowdfund after another, or multiple going at the same time..there's only so much your average toy buyer, even an adult collector with disposable income, can spend on these triple digit concept projects.

suspsy

I never participated in any crowdfund prior to the BotM Ceratopsian Series. And I've only participated in that one and the Tyrannosaur one.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

GojiraGuy1954

Big companies can crowdfund all they want, just don't invade Kickstarter, set up your own thing
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

andrewsaurus rex

it would have been helpful if Mattel had given a fair bit of advanced notice about this crowdfund project.  The fact is the post Covid world economy is tough right now due to high inflation that we have seen from the supply chain issues.   The Ukraine war has been another big factor in fueling inflation and large corporations jumping on the bandwagon with price gouging the third.  Fortunately inflation is calming down somewhat but for many, 'fun money' is at a premium.

To expect that thousands of people can fork out $250 on a moment's notice, for a toy that won't be in hand for many months, without any fore warning so they could save up, is poor planning, in my view. 

I also think the thing is overpriced.  The gates are cool, but in reality they ain't that big.  20 inches tall and about the same in width, including the bit of fencing....that's not big.    $150 is a lot more realistic for that.....and lose the Explorer.  Most people that are going to buy into this thing will already have the Explorer...it's not an incentive to buy, it's an unnecessary expense.   If they can't make 'em for that price then so be it.....try again down the road when the economy improves.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: andrewsaurus rex on July 07, 2023, 10:39:53 PMit would have been helpful if Mattel had given a fair bit of advanced notice about this crowdfund project.  The fact is the post Covid world economy is tough right now due to high inflation that we have seen from the supply chain issues.   The Ukraine war has been another big factor in fueling inflation and large corporations jumping on the bandwagon with price gouging the third.  Fortunately inflation is calming down somewhat but for many, 'fun money' is at a premium.

To expect that thousands of people can fork out $250 on a moment's notice, for a toy that won't be in hand for many months, without any fore warning so they could save up, is poor planning, in my view. 

I also think the thing is overpriced.  The gates are cool, but in reality they ain't that big.  20 inches tall and about the same in width, including the bit of fencing....that's not big.    $150 is a lot more realistic for that.....and lose the Explorer.  Most people that are going to buy into this thing will already have the Explorer...it's not an incentive to buy, it's an unnecessary expense.   If they can't make 'em for that price then so be it.....try again down the road when the economy improves.

Lord knows I've listed why I think the value is there, it's more than size..they said with the fence it takes up around 5'? And the Explorer has a lot added as well as paint. I digress though.

andrewsaurus rex

https://bleedingcool.com/collectibles/mattel-announces-jurassic-park-the-gates-crowdfunding-campaign/

according to this site, the gates are 23" by 21" high.  The (I assume 2?) fences are each 14" long by 9" high.  So the length works out to almost 51 inches, just over 4 feet, unless there are more fences included.   Are the fences included at the basic level or are they a stretch goal?  Anyway, that is bigger than I thought.

It's up to each person to decide whether it's a good deal or not.  But I still say several weeks/months advanced notice before starting the crowdfunding campaign would have been wise.   I sometimes think corporate execs, with their huge pay, are totally out of touch with the rest of the world; if they think thousands of people can just come up with $250USD on a moments notice, for a toy.   

Another idea might have been to offer everything, all the stretch goal items from the outset, for $250, but require 10,000 or 12,000 backers to get the project going..  I think that would have a much better chance.  And give the project 3 months to get those backers instead of 30 days.

Anyway, this is an exciting project for most die hard Jurassic fans, I would think....we'll see if it gets enough backers in time.   Would Mattel extend the sign up period if it doesn't?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: