News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd: New for 2023

Started by Renecito, January 23, 2023, 03:00:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

I have no interest in another Stegouros if the rumour is true. But it's good that people will have options between big and small versions.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

SpartanSquat

Well they pretty much confirmed

Gwangi

I would greatly prefer a smaller Stegouros than CollectA's. I consider this excellent news!

bmathison1972

I don't see that as confirmation. They are asking for suggestions and someone suggested Stegouros. That being said, I would LOVE it if Safari made one. CollectA's was WAY TOO BIG for me.

Besides, would a figure 'suggested' in 2022 be ready for 2023?

stargatedalek

Personally I'd like a toob sized one, or a size like the baby dinosaurs. As opposed to the standard size used for most figures lately.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: stargatedalek on July 21, 2023, 12:45:53 AMPersonally I'd like a toob sized one, or a size like the baby dinosaurs. As opposed to the standard size used for most figures lately.

Same, I want one that doesn't look of place next to my 1:35 / 1:40 dinos, regardless of whether it's technically in that range or not.

Shane

Sigh...Don't believe everything you read.

Obviously some of those in that list match what has already been teased/revealed.

But, if you're expecting everything on that list, you'll be disappointed.

I can't confirm or deny anything though. All I can say is that we'll be doing some heavy reveals in the next 3-4 weeks, so you'll know for sure soon enough.

Shane

Quote from: bmathison1972 on July 21, 2023, 12:26:30 AMI don't see that as confirmation. They are asking for suggestions and someone suggested Stegouros. That being said, I would LOVE it if Safari made one. CollectA's was WAY TOO BIG for me.

You're correct, that's exactly what that was.

That said, is it really hard to see why a number of toy companies are jumping on Stegouros? It's a newly discovered, unique looking dinosaur known from nearly complete remains.

Jose S.M.

Stegouros was recently discovered during pandemic times and since it's been said that Safari has figures bottled up in development due to the delays caused by the pandemic, I wouldn't be so sure about a figure of it coming this year specifically. But who really knows... Besides Shane haha just kidding!

Bread

Quote from: Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews) on July 21, 2023, 01:48:21 AM
Quote from: stargatedalek on July 21, 2023, 12:45:53 AMPersonally I'd like a toob sized one, or a size like the baby dinosaurs. As opposed to the standard size used for most figures lately.

Same, I want one that doesn't look of place next to my 1:35 / 1:40 dinos, regardless of whether it's technically in that range or not.
To put this into perspective, this model by PaleoKhris, funny enough the same maker of the image in that tweet with the Safari conversation, is true to be 1:35 scale

The Chris Pratt 1:35 Nanmu model to be 1:35 as well.

I too would prefer a mini tube model if this genus were to be true. Regardless, I think if you want a true 1:35 to 1:40 scale model, go with 3D printing.

Quote from: Shane on July 21, 2023, 04:12:54 PM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on July 21, 2023, 12:26:30 AMI don't see that as confirmation. They are asking for suggestions and someone suggested Stegouros. That being said, I would LOVE it if Safari made one. CollectA's was WAY TOO BIG for me.
That said, is it really hard to see why a number of toy companies are jumping on Stegouros? It's a newly discovered, unique looking dinosaur known from nearly complete remains.
I mean other newly discovered species have been found with decent remains but yet they're ignored. I am not against the genus, but why is it getting more attention than others?

Edit: The models in the image are sculpted and printed by Paleokhris, and the paint up is by dinosaur_models_artworks.

Sim

Quote from: Bread on July 21, 2023, 04:58:17 PM
Quote from: Shane on July 21, 2023, 04:12:54 PMThat said, is it really hard to see why a number of toy companies are jumping on Stegouros? It's a newly discovered, unique looking dinosaur known from nearly complete remains.
I mean other newly discovered species have been found with decent remains but yet they're ignored. I am not against the genus, but why is it getting more attention than others?
With regards to the bolded part, it is hard to see, since jumping on Stegouros looks as painful as jumping on some lego bricks.  Hehe, just joking!
In seriousness, I actually didn't understand why Stegouros has been getting so much attention until S @Shane explained.  The reason I didn't understand it is because there are some animals I, perhaps unfortunately, find underwhelming, and Stegouros is one of those.  It's a tiny ankylosaurian with a short tail that couldn't act as a defensive weapon, what exactly is it supposed to do?  I guess it just ate plants and its armour was sufficient protection against the coexisting megaraptorid.  It just strikes me as a boring animal, and this is coming from someone who generally likes thyreophorans a lot.

Chasmosaurus

Kayakasaurus has made one too. It's available in his etsy store in 3 different scales.
1/40; 1/20 and 1/12.
Man is only interested in what he invents while what surrounds him is made in a much more extraordinary and complex way

Primeval12

Quote from: Shane on July 21, 2023, 04:12:54 PM

You're correct, that's exactly what that was.

And for that matter, why not Jakapil?

Sim

I would prefer Jakapil to Stegouros, alternatively Scelidosaurus or Scutellosaurus.  Scelidosaurus has been known since the 1800's and still lacks a good figure despite looking unique and being known from nearly complete remains.  Imagine a bipedal one consistent with found footprints!

Shane

Quote from: Primeval12 on July 21, 2023, 06:29:08 PMAnd for that matter, why not Jakapil?

Jakapil is indeed a pretty cool dinosaur, but its remains are much more fragmentary than Stegouros.

Faelrin

Yeah I'm shocked neither Scelidosaurus and Scutellosaurus have recieved updated figures from anyone. A shame because they both had really good detailed looks at them in recent years.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

suspsy

I'd love a Scelidosaurus.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

TlatolophusJuanorum

Quote from: Sim on July 21, 2023, 05:51:33 PM
Quote from: Bread on July 21, 2023, 04:58:17 PM
Quote from: Shane on July 21, 2023, 04:12:54 PMThat said, is it really hard to see why a number of toy companies are jumping on Stegouros? It's a newly discovered, unique looking dinosaur known from nearly complete remains.
With regards to the bolded part, it is hard to see, since jumping on Stegouros looks as painful as jumping on some lego bricks.  Hehe, just joking!
In seriousness, I actually didn't understand why Stegouros has been getting so much attention until S @Shane explained.  The reason I didn't understand it is because there are some animals I, perhaps unfortunately, find underwhelming, and Stegouros is one of those.  It's a tiny ankylosaurian with a short tail that couldn't act as a defensive weapon, what exactly is it supposed to do?  I guess it just ate plants and its armour was sufficient protection against the coexisting megaraptorid.  It just strikes me as a boring animal, and this is coming from someone who generally likes thyreophorans a lot.
Well, I've recently ordered CollectA's and I love this curious tiny one because of two reasons:
1. Its tail resembles an ancient Aztec weapon ('Macuahuitl'), and as a ancient history lover, it truly amazes me.
2. I'm from Mexico, so I think Latin American dinos (excluding Argentina's well known species and figures) deserve more love. We have wonderful species from good remains, but they are a bit underestimated. I would love a nice Magnapaulia, an Antarctopelta, or any South American titanosaurid with good remains, for example.  :)
But well, that is only one opinion.

Halichoeres

Agreed, that doesn't sound like confirmation at all. Wouldn't be the first time Paleofiguras floated a completely unfounded rumor.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Thialfi

I don't expect there to be any prehistoric animals among these, but thought I'd share anyway.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: