News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Schleich - New for 2023

Started by Flaffy, July 30, 2022, 05:04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynx

Quote from: SpartanSquat on May 23, 2023, 04:44:39 PMThis leak is suppose to be 2024 dinos.

Well using the theory of at least a half-decent figure a year, maybe we will have some goodies!

- Schleich usually makes very good sauropods, and while the recent Brontosaurus isn't great by any means, it is probably one of the best sculpts that year. Both the Mamenchisaurus and Apatosaurus should be somewhat decent I'd assume.

- With how amazing Schleichs old Shonisaurus is, I expect great results with the new one!

I'm more than optimistic about the figures next year  :))
An oversized house cat.

Halichoeres

The question on the Shonisaurus is, can they top themselves from 2005? Any other company, I would have no doubt, but with Schleich it's a toss-up.

Is it time for a "new for 2024" board?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Bread

Quote from: Halichoeres on June 14, 2023, 04:39:41 PMThe question on the Shonisaurus is, can they top themselves from 2005? Any other company, I would have no doubt, but with Schleich it's a toss-up.

Is it time for a "new for 2024" board?
My worries for the Shonisaurus would be the use of their pebbly skin texturing. It would ruin the model for me.

Takama

Deleted

PrimevalRaptor

So the Quetzalcoatlus popped up in stores here and I'm...a bit whelmed (sensing a pattern here).
First off...it's way smaller than expected, for a price of 23€ I'd have expected it to be at least bigger than their current Pteranodon.
I was very interested by the wing poseability and I think in itself using rubber for the patagium and letting you pose the pterosaur flying or sitting is very cool and I prefer that over those "cut" wings that Mattel has but I feel overall it suffered a bit for it since the wings and body are made of plastic and you can tell the difference between that and the head (where I almost wish they opted for a moveable jaw instead)

Didn't have too much time to take a good pic but you can kinda see the size and that material difference. Overall it is still definitely one of Schleichs better pterosaurs (thanks to being "inspired" by the Blue Rhino studio model I guess) but definitely feels a bit rough for the price (I guess the articulation factors into that a fair bit)

Lynx

As much as I love this company, I am not buying that with the price given. Roughly 23/24 dollars, plus shipping which could bring it to 30, is absurd for something like that.
An oversized house cat.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: PrimevalRaptor on July 06, 2023, 05:20:31 PMOverall it is still definitely one of Schleichs better pterosaurs (thanks to being "inspired" by the Blue Rhino studio model I guess)

Okay, I was trying to figure out if it reminded me of something or not, lol

Takama

stargatedalek

In before it's a point and click game for little kids that claims to be educational but pushes, well, Schleich designs.

Lynx

Hell yeah where do I get this

I just really need something to do
An oversized house cat.

CityRaptor

Quote from: stargatedalek on July 14, 2023, 03:54:45 AMIn before it's a point and click game for little kids that claims to be educational but pushes, well, Schleich designs.

Which in turn are rather Jurassic Park-esque. Especially the T.rex.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Ikessauro

Quote from: Halichoeres on July 22, 2023, 08:46:18 PMHas this Dakotaraptor set been posted?
https://www.schleich-s.com/en/US/dinosaurs/products/track-vehicle-42604.html

A mere $70 USD!
Common! How does Schleich keep existing with prices like this? Makes Mattel JW stuff seem cheap in comparison! I"d buy the raptor alone for 15, now, that set for 70? No Way!

Libraraptor

Schleich's target group are mostly parents and grandparents with too much money and too little time to spend with their children and grandchildren. They compensate their bad conscience buying stuff like this. Just my theory.

Lynx

Quote from: Libraraptor on July 22, 2023, 09:42:30 PMSchleich's target group are mostly parents and grandparents with too much money and too little time to spend with their children and grandchildren. They compensate their bad conscience buing stuff like this. Just my theory.

In all due respect, that seems to be going a little far.
An oversized house cat.

Libraraptor

Buying expensive toys to get rid of a bad conscience is common practice in capitalism. As I wrote, my assumption about Schleich's main target group is just a theory.Take it with a grain of salt.

CityRaptor

But the fabled Schleich Quality! ::) 

Didn't I post a link for this set before? Anyways,in typical Schleich fashion, one of their more decent figures ( bei Schleich standards, who have a long history of pretty terrible Raptors, so it is not saying much ) is of course bundled with a stupid vehicle and a Colby brother. 

I rather pick up Safari's Utahraptor or the HC JPIII male Velociraptor than this thing. Indeed I could pick up both and still have money left.
Oh no

PumperKrickel

I don't think the set or the price tag is all that offensive. Tons of play features and articulated parts on that vehicle and a rather nice dinosaur for Schleich standards. Could be worse.

CityRaptor

The main issue is obviously that one needs to get the set to get the Dakotaraptor. This would be less of an issue if the mold was not exclusive to the set, but was a repaint or a figure that is otherwise available as a stand alone piece, like those in most of the other big sets.
Oh no

Ikessauro

Quote from: PumperKrickel on July 23, 2023, 01:40:17 AMI don't think the set or the price tag is all that offensive. Tons of play features and articulated parts on that vehicle and a rather nice dinosaur for Schleich standards. Could be worse.
That vehicle gives me vibes of a cheap dollar store toy car not worth 10 bucks. So I find it kinda offensive. If you compare to products from other brands, that have way more complex parts and paint jobs, you actually realized how overpriced Schleichs are.

BOTM figures ranges from 40 to 80 (except the really large ones) and they are usually very complex action figures with 18 + points of articulation, extra feet, bases, collector cards, beautiful display box.

Mattel Hammond Collection Tyrannosaurus rex comes with realistic eyes, rubber parts that are poseable, several points of articulation too and is a lisensed product of a major IP franchise.

Rebor, Nanmu, PNSO, Haolonggood are making dinosaurs way better in detail and paint job (not to mention accuracy in some of them), some articulated with extra items, like bases, prey items or stands/skulls and also printed extras like cards, booklets, posters etc. And most of their items are equal or cheaper than this Schleich set.

To me the value isn't there in Schleich's product. Of course, I don't mean to force my view on others, each one spends their money as they wish, just like I sometimes shed a lot of cash for a rare item that most people would never pay anything for. I just wanted to explain my view and share my two cents.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: