News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mattel - New for 2023

Started by Faelrin, August 27, 2022, 10:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EmperorDinobot

The Dimetrodon looks bad lol

Gryposuchus?! Woah! I can't wait for Eoraptor and Stegouros. Megalosaurus? They might as well just rename Dryptosaurus, Orkoraptor, Pitanitzskysaurus, Xuanhanosaurus, all of them into Megalosaurus and get it over with hahaha oh and Metriacanthosaurus and Yangchuanosaurus. Push Dilophosaurus in, too.

I've preordered Spielberg, and Mamenchisaurus which should be here in October. I uh... I want dibs. My photography is bad, but my Jurassic Park Diorama, which will occupy most of my game room's floor will be finished. Plants, rivers, playsets, all kinds of stuff will be installed, and this is why I want to do the review. Speaking of which, um. Hang on.

Faelrin

avatar_Carnoking @Carnoking I think they looked better in the leaked images a bit back. They were much more straight to the point, no weird angled shots. Though that only goes for Eoraptor, Gryposuchus, and Stegorous of the batch of reveals here.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Carnoking on July 21, 2023, 05:25:07 PMI had to spring for 2. I'm a MIB collector for the most part with the Mattel line but I just had to have a little Steven Spielberg open and on my desk at all times. The fact that it comes with the now sought after HC Dilo helped assuage my compunctions.

I picked up two myself, I ordered one of the little Matchbox jeeps with Malcolm, probably never opening it. But it was the same price as the Spielberg set.

The other thing about doubles, is you never know if one will come with paint errors or damage.

Prehistory Resurrection

Faelrin

avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon Or in my case, the single Nedry I got back in 2020 had two of the same feet, lol. That's the kind of rare production error that goes for a lot from what I seen, but like all the same I don't want to sell it.

Man I'm so tempted to order that Triceratops now but I have like no space for it here and I need to keep saving my money right now. Hopefully I'll get it in due time.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Faelrin on July 22, 2023, 02:24:25 PMavatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon Or in my case, the single Nedry I got back in 2020 had two of the same feet, lol. That's the kind of rare production error that goes for a lot from what I seen, but like all the same I don't want to sell it.

Man I'm so tempted to order that Triceratops now but I have like no space for it here and I need to keep saving my money right now. Hopefully I'll get it in due time.

I did get one of those Nedry figures too. I can't bear to open it. If it had an error...I might be more tempted. IDK it's hard when it's so limited.

EE put the Habitat Defender up for preorder, date says September. So it might be a Fall/late summer release?

Faelrin

avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon It already came in stock on Amazon (out of stock atm), as numerous people have it in hand now, but you could be right that it could be a fall release overall. Amazon has definitely been a bit first to the punch in a lot of cases this year, especially compared to Target and EE.

I think I might try to get it in November, after the Cyberzoic kickstarter, and hopefully it will be in store then, as that's how I'd prefer to pick this one up. Still behind on a lot of others too, like the Elasmosaurus and whatnot.

Prehistory Resurrection

Well, that was fast!

Flaffy

Quote from: Carnoking on July 21, 2023, 05:25:07 PMThe fact that it comes with the now sought after HC Dilo helped assuage my compunctions.

It's funny how Dilophosaurus always becomes a sought after figure in the line. First it was the original FK Attack Pack, then it was the Amber Collection ver. and now the Hammond Collection ver.

I'm glad collectors get another opportunity to acquire this elusive figure, as aftermarket prices for both the AC and HC Dilophosaurus have risen to astronomical heights. I remember Toyopolis or some other online retailer claiming that a re-release/re-run of previously sold out HC figures is coming in the near future?

Also A @Andysdinosaurreviews of the Spielberg set. Still a damn shame they didn't fix the Dilophosaurus's paint but at least they improved the frill a bit:
- Errornous vertical pupils
- Lack of white outlines
- Lack of tail paint on 2/3 of the length

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Faelrin on July 22, 2023, 05:23:53 PMavatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon It already came in stock on Amazon (out of stock atm), as numerous people have it in hand now, but you could be right that it could be a fall release overall. Amazon has definitely been a bit first to the punch in a lot of cases this year, especially compared to Target and EE.

I think I might try to get it in November, after the Cyberzoic kickstarter, and hopefully it will be in store then, as that's how I'd prefer to pick this one up. Still behind on a lot of others too, like the Elasmosaurus and whatnot.

Right, I had it preordered then an issue with a relative's card caused me to lose it. But Amazon does get stock early, EE generally gets it last.  Retail stores are currently preparing for their next quarter clearing out old stock and preparing for new. It could be out in August?

I'd say Andy got it from Comic Con or they sent him one.

Carnoking

Coming up on two days later, still seems to be available for order.

Faelrin

Sounds like it had much better stock then the Gennaro set? Granted I'm still debating on it. I already got a HC Dilophosaurus, and not sure how I'd implement or display a figure of Spielberg. Though it's still a nice set for the 30th anniversary on a meta level. I might get it, if it'll still be there next week. Still waiting for the $70 payment on the one card to go through. I have enough on my other card with the lowest interest rate but I also want to save those funds for like one of my other pre-orders. This set is less of a priority for me.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Faelrin on July 23, 2023, 05:45:59 AMSounds like it had much better stock then the Gennaro set? Granted I'm still debating on it. I already got a HC Dilophosaurus, and not sure how I'd implement or display a figure of Spielberg. Though it's still a nice set for the 30th anniversary on a meta level. I might get it, if it'll still be there next week. Still waiting for the $70 payment on the one card to go through. I have enough on my other card with the lowest interest rate but I also want to save those funds for like one of my other pre-orders. This set is less of a priority for me.

I think Mattel learned their lesson about exclusives like this. The last Malcolm set still looks to be available too?

I think there a few few ways I can utilize a Spielberg figure, mostly it will just be neat to do "set" photos.  He is rocking that cool dino shirt from the 90's too.

Flaffy

Quote from: Faelrin on July 23, 2023, 05:45:59 AMSounds like it had much better stock then the Gennaro set? Granted I'm still debating on it. I already got a HC Dilophosaurus, and not sure how I'd implement or display a figure of Spielberg. Though it's still a nice set for the 30th anniversary on a meta level. I might get it, if it'll still be there next week. Still waiting for the $70 payment on the one card to go through. I have enough on my other card with the lowest interest rate but I also want to save those funds for like one of my other pre-orders. This set is less of a priority for me.

Just ordered mines. I debated about it for a while too, but ended up getting it for the following reasons:
- It's just a really cool set, and a perfect candidate to keep MIB with how well the packaging is designed/presented
- I didn't manage to snag one of the original run HC Dilos, so having the chance to acquire a (slightly) improved version is a bonus
- I don't imagine having much issue selling this set on in the future if I no longer want it

Maybe you could consider selling your original HC Dilo to generate funds for the Spielberg set? They're still going for a pretty penny on eBay.

Carnoking

IIRC, the Ray Arnold set was available for a good while too.

YesIAmaDinosaur

We're at the end of the line for the Gates crowdfund and it doesn't look likely. To say I'm disappointed is an understatement. The gates for me are one of the biggest wants and I had no problem shelling for the first tier. With that said I agree with everyone's criticisms and think they're for the most part all totally fair.

I wish it still happened, though. Would've been nice to even get the 6,000 backers tier with the Bull T-Rex since they switched it. But alas, it wasn't meant to be. If anyone sees any comparable or just as good fan offered gates, let me know!
@DramaticoRising on YouTube and Instagram

Carnoking

The gates certainly would have been a cool addition to the collection, as would that tricked out Buck rex. It's a shame that the Crowdfund was so weirdly handled and how that seemed to negatively affect the level of fan support.

That said, the greater tragedy in all this has been the finger pointing, backbiting, and holier than thou attitudes it's brought out. Makes being part of this fandom a lot less fun if you ask me.

I would have liked to see this crowdfund be successful despite my overall qualms with it, but I gotta say, seeing the feral nature its failure is bringing out in some of the more petulant fans who wanted it is a bit off-putting.

Carnoking

To add fuel to the fire, it would seem a rumor has started floating around that a standalone Buck rex release is now considered "not viable" by Mattel.* You can imagine the response to the possibility of never seeing the Buck again has caused  :P

*My subjective response to this is that it's a load meant to guilt trip those holding out to back the project at the 11th hour lest they risk losing out on the Buck indefinitely.

Shane

Quote from: Carnoking on July 26, 2023, 06:25:39 PMTo add fuel to the fire, it would seem a rumor has started floating around that a standalone Buck rex release is now considered "not viable" by Mattel.* You can imagine the response to the possibility of never seeing the Buck again has caused  :P

*My subjective response to this is that it's a load meant to guilt trip those holding out to back the project at the 11th hour lest they risk losing out on the Buck indefinitely.

It is absurd to think that a T-rex figure using 90% existing tooling would not be an easy sell for Mattel.

Rumors are just that, so I'm not assuming this is valid, but it is objectively silly to think that Mattel would not easily make money by releasing a desirable T-rex figure that only needs minor new tooling.

Mattel has released approximately 50 billion different T-Rex toys, but yes, THIS ONE is the one that just won't make the cut.

I'd be surprised if this is real word from Mattel. On the off chance it somehow is their official line, there's no reason for it beyond pettiness.

But again, I have a lot of doubts that this is Mattel's stance.

MLMjp

Quote from: Shane on July 26, 2023, 07:17:55 PM
Quote from: Carnoking on July 26, 2023, 06:25:39 PMTo add fuel to the fire, it would seem a rumor has started floating around that a standalone Buck rex release is now considered "not viable" by Mattel.* You can imagine the response to the possibility of never seeing the Buck again has caused  :P

It is absurd to think that a T-rex figure using 90% existing tooling would not be an easy sell for Mattel.

Rumors are just that, so I'm not assuming this is valid, but it is objectively silly to think that Mattel would not easily make money by releasing a desirable T-rex figure that only needs minor new tooling.

Mattel has released approximately 50 billion different T-Rex toys, but yes, THIS ONE is the one that just won't make the cut.
Not to mention there are still more T.rex variants that they can repaint (and slight retool) the mold into. For Doe they can just repaint the original mold, no retooling needed like the Buck, for the JW version of Rexy they just need to add the scars, JP3 is a bit tricky as they should downsize it, but if they don't, just repaint the Buck version. And if the HC makes Camp Cretaceous figures, you have two more repaints thanks to the two Eaties.

With minimal effort they can milk the mold and people will pay for all these variants, so this whole claim about it being "not viable" is complete BS. Specially since a bigger, riskier and more expensive figure as the HC Brachiosaurus was considered viable enough. But another version of an already popular mold than can be reused for more variants isn't?

They have reapainted and retooled the extreme chomping mold to death, do the same for the HC collection.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: