News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Recent Acquisitions

Started by DinoToyForum, July 28, 2018, 12:17:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueKrono

avatar_Roselaar @Roselaar Nice finds! Which coelacanth is that?
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Fenestra

^^
Coelecanth is from Mojo

Sim

Today I received the following:

1. CollectA Ceratosuchops.  It's mostly great but the lower jaw on the one I got was very loose.  I wonder if it was just the copy I received or if others also experience this with this figure?  In any case I've decided I won't keep it, which is fine for me as it leaves me with more room for other figures.

2. Beasts of the Mesozoic 1:18 Velociraptor osmolskae.  I love small BotM figures!  I like the shades of blue used on this figure and it's nice to have the other species of Velociraptor in addition to Velociraptor mongoliensis.  It goes well with my BotM 1:18 Linheraptor and Protoceratops hellenikorhinus.  Velociraptor is now the genus I have the most of in my collection with three figures, the other two are both mongoliensis though.

3. Beasts of the Mesozoic 1:18 Psittacosaurus.  Like I said before, I love small BotM figures!  As with the others I have, I'm very happy with this Psittacosaurus.

4. PNSO Pachycephalosaurus.  I got one that was painted well!

Ludodactylus

First new additions to my collection in a couple months - CollectA Brontosaurus and Ampelosaurus.

My wife says they look like they're telling each other terrible jokes and can't stop laughing.
"The most popular exhibits in any natural history museum are, without doubt, the dinosaurs. These creatures' popularity grows each year, partly because of the recent resurgence of dinosaur movies, but also because a skeleton of a full-sized Tyrannosaurus rex still has the ability, even 65 million years after its death, to chill us to the bone." - Ray Harryhausen

TooOldForDinosaurs

*Disclaimer: not diinosaur related* ;)

Finally...!  ^-^

After over 1.5 years of having numerous eBay-searches like "salamander", "salamander figure", "safari salamander" saved and on notification I got a positive hit recently and was able to score this lot of figures:

Yippie!  O:-)

Here is the lovely fella:

With his friends:

Skorpio V.

The last time I've posted to recent acquisitions was December of 2021 sooo...

• Captivz Stygimoloch - Been buying Captivz for this one specifically until I got hooked and kept getting them to get a huge set of them (not pictured lol)

• 2019 Mojo Fun Triceratops - Found her in a ToysRUs tucked deep into their little Mojo shelf a couple weeks before more of this model was put up. This appearance in 2023 was kinda weird to me, especially since the smaller 2020 version was on the shelf before it.

• SnapCo WWD3D Cup Topper Juniper - Random Value Village appearance, looking to get the two other Pachyrhinosaurus of this set since I had the Gorgosaurus from years before and repainted it.

• Battat Triceratops - HUGE SCORE found her on a FB Marketplace listing with some other old Safari Ltd. animals and the OG Carnegie Green Rex for $10

• Captivz Lystrosaurus - The second Captivz Mini I was on the lookout for. Really charming!

• Battat Edmontonia and Styracosaurus - Another FB Marketplace lot for $10! Came with some other chinasaurs.  The Styracosaurus is probably my favourite model in my collection.

• Schleich Parasaurolophus and Corythosaurus - FB Marketplace got me these at $20 for both. Love the Corythosaurus inexplicably!

• Schleich Tawa - Verrryy used condition but Vlad Constantinov's Schleich models are musts from Value Village.

• Carnegie V.1 10th Anniversary Tyrannosaurus - Referenced this site to find I got the original release of this bad boy based on the labels on his belly.

• Battat V.3 Tyrannosaurus - I got both this and the Carnegie rex for $15. Had to travel 60km away (the bus fees were about equal to what I was paying for them), but I think it was worth it!

So yeah. I would not consider half this list to be recent but that's what I got from the past 2 years ^-^
On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

CityRaptor

Quote from: Libraraptor on July 17, 2023, 09:59:45 PMBought myself that National Geographic issue, too. Unfortunately what I found was old articles lovelessly cobbled together. What do you think, avatar_CityRaptor @CityRaptor?

Well, I stopped buying single issue of NG and other scientific magazines for single articles a while ago, so for me that is less of a problem.

Mosasaurus Mayhem in the Dinosaur Sanctuary! It's gonna get wild with Prestosuchus!

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Roselaar

Finally expanded my Battat collection a bit with a good deal on this lot. They've got some scratches and white paint sploshes, but are otherwise just fine for 25 year old figures. I'm totally in love with the Ouranosaurus!

Ikessauro

Quote from: Roselaar on August 10, 2023, 03:34:21 PMFinally expanded my Battat collection a bit with a good deal on this lot. They've got some scratches and white paint sploshes, but are otherwise just fine for 25 year old figures. I'm totally in love with the Ouranosaurus!

Great find. The white paint splotches are easy  to remove. In my experience, the best way to safely remove overpaint without damaging the dinosaur original paint is to aply a really small amount of solvents with a cotton swab. I like to test first, the milder solvents and then work my way up to more aggressive ones. I dip the cotton swab in water and try that first, maybe with some dish soap. Sometimes tha paint is water soluble and a bit of water and friction removes it right off. If it doesn't help, next is alcohol. If that doesn't do it, I try acetone, same people use for removing nail polish. But I don't use large amounts and always keep a clean soft piece of fabric nearby to quickly remove the solvent and prevent it from affecting the paint I don't wanna remove. With the cotton swab you can have lots of control where you apply and how much. Also, the cotton absorbs the paint being disolved, cleaning the surface.   

Roselaar

Quote from: Ikessauro on August 10, 2023, 04:30:29 PMGreat find. The white paint splotches are easy  to remove. In my experience, the best way to safely remove overpaint without damaging the dinosaur original paint is to aply a really small amount of solvents with a cotton swab. I like to test first, the milder solvents and then work my way up to more aggressive ones. I dip the cotton swab in water and try that first, maybe with some dish soap. Sometimes tha paint is water soluble and a bit of water and friction removes it right off. If it doesn't help, next is alcohol. If that doesn't do it, I try acetone, same people use for removing nail polish. But I don't use large amounts and always keep a clean soft piece of fabric nearby to quickly remove the solvent and prevent it from affecting the paint I don't wanna remove. With the cotton swab you can have lots of control where you apply and how much. Also, the cotton absorbs the paint being disolved, cleaning the surface.   

Thanks for the tip! :)

ceratopsian

You are not the only one in love with the Battat Ouranosaurus avatar_Roselaar @Roselaar! I still find it intensely satisfying despite my Haolonggood models. And that is a great lot to have acquired.

Flaffy

While Battat doesn't have the most detailed of sculpts, many of them do make up for it in sheer elegance and execution. The Ouranosaurus and Styracosaurus comes to mind as particularly nice amongst the line-up.

SidB

Quote from: Roselaar on August 10, 2023, 03:34:21 PMFinally expanded my Battat collection a bit with a good deal on this lot. They've got some scratches and white paint sploshes, but are otherwise just fine for 25 year old figures. I'm totally in love with the Ouranosaurus!

A hearty congratulations, avatar_Roselaar @Roselaar , for this sterling acquisition. Yes, they are marvelous, the best for and at their time and some of them still are outstanding. Obviously today's detailing is better, but in a variety of other respects, the Battats are still worthy collectibles. By the way, that a very innovative way to get the T-rex to keep its balance!

SidB

I really can hardly believe that I've waited this long to snap up one of CollectA's premier releases, their Iguanodon. But I finally ordered this one from Dejankins, so I'll share a coupe of shots of it and some comparison pics.

It joins these fellows currently in my inventory. In order, top to bottom: CollectA, PNSO, Papo knockoff with non-articulated jaw (an improvement), Carnegie Safari, Favorite, Wild Safari, Schleich (an old Replicasaurus)

I wanted a figure with the more classic Iguanodon boxy head, but larger than the ones in my collection. The PNSO Iguanodon is a terrific piece, but its skull has more of a Mantellisaurus shape (which admittedly some genuine Iguanodon material possesses), so the CollectA provides the more 'traditional' look in a similar sized figure.

TooOldForDinosaurs

Iguanodone
Iguanod-two
Iguanod-three

Iguanod-seven! Congrats S @SidB ;)

SidB

Thanks avatar_TooOldForDinosaurs @TooOldForDinosaurs . Iguanodon is one genus that has lurked around my consciousness for decades, never at the top, nothing showy or spectacular, just solid. I think that this is my tribute to its staying power as a collectible figure. I definitely appreciate it now more than ever.

Roselaar

QuoteA hearty congratulations, avatar_Roselaar @Roselaar , for this sterling acquisition. Yes, they are marvelous, the best for and at their time and some of them still are outstanding. Obviously today's detailing is better, but in a variety of other respects, the Battats are still worthy collectibles. By the way, that a very innovative way to get the T-rex to keep its balance!

Thanks! Haha, the T-Rex is actually leaning on its tail. It's the Dilophosaurus and Utahraptor that are supported by her, rather than vice versa. ;)

SidB

Quote from: Roselaar on August 11, 2023, 01:00:31 PM
QuoteA hearty congratulations, avatar_Roselaar @Roselaar , for this sterling acquisition. Yes, they are marvelous, the best for and at their time and some of them still are outstanding. Obviously today's detailing is better, but in a variety of other respects, the Battats are still worthy collectibles. By the way, that a very innovative way to get the T-rex to keep its balance!

Thanks! Haha, the T-Rex is actually leaning on its tail. It's the Dilophosaurus and Utahraptor that are supported by her, rather than vice versa. ;)
Those freeloaders!!!

ceratopsian

In the post yesterday all the way from Brazil. My Patagotitan by Era Terra. Ademar did a wonderful job. A temporary resting place till I've decided if my original idea on display spot actually works! It's my treat to celebrate the Patagotitan exhibition (as the NHM had nothing I wanted).

postsaurischian

Quote from: ceratopsian on August 11, 2023, 01:09:01 PMIn the post yesterday all the way from Brazil. My Patagotitan by Era Terra. Ademar did a wonderful job. ....... It's my treat to celebrate the Patagotitan exhibition (as the NHM had nothing I wanted).

:o Wow! It's wonderful! Love the colours. The NHM should have made a deal with Ademar :) .

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: