News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New For 2023

Started by vampiredesign, November 28, 2022, 07:00:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

I agree with Concavenator.  I think megaraptorans have received too much attention generally, each figure of them available being a fantasy theropod basically.  However, Megaraptor getting a figure such as the upcoming Haolonggood I think is good as there is a quite complete skull of it now, plus its forelimbs are known, it's enough for a good figure of it in my opinion.  But after that I too would prefer more complete and underrepresented species get made, e.g. basal sauropodomorphs, troodontids, unenlagiids, anchiornithines.  And for the record, I'm not interested in buying another Tyrannosaurus, but I would much rather buy a Stegosaurus ungulatus or a Triceratops prorsus (two species with distinctive appearances that lack a good figure) than generic theropod #6 aka non-Megaraptor megaraptorans.

Fembrogon

I'm sort of in agreement as as well - I DO like the notion of having a "museum-grade" Megaraptor figurine at last, but there are also plenty of other dinosaurs (theropod or otherwise) with better fossil material that deserve more toy attention than recieved so far. Just look how long it took for us to get a proper Utahraptor, for example.

Bread

Sale over on aliexpress! From Haolonggood's to PNSO's.

Concavenator

Quote from: Sim on August 20, 2023, 09:15:17 PMHowever, Megaraptor getting a figure such as the upcoming Haolonggood I think is good as there is a quite complete skull of it now, plus its forelimbs are known, it's enough for a good figure of it in my opinion.

That skull you mention is mostly the maxilla, and lacks the area of the lacrimal crests, which is frequently variable in theropods. Also, important to note that it belongs to a juvenile (Porfiri et al., 2014). Safe to assume Megaraptor might have undergone ontogenetic changes as it grew too, as can be observed in Gorgosaurus and Tyrannosaurus, for example (Voris et al., 2022). And that Megaraptor skull is the best preserved megaraptoran skull... so, in conclusion:

1) We don't know what an adult megaraptoran looked like.
2) All figures of megaraptorans are juvenile Megaraptor clones.
3) Which means, I can depict a generic megaraptoran and pretend it is whatever genus I feel like calling it.
4) Megaraptorans currently have such scrappy remains that any new discovery involving the description of decently-preserved fossil material is likely to have significative consequences of our understanding of the group, not only limited to morphology but possibly concerning their phylogeny too. Which means, more likely that current figures will turn out to be outdated (I know this happens with well-preserved animals too, it's just less likely).

Those 4 reasons summarize why making figures of megaraptorans isn't the best idea. However, like I said earlier, I'm still happy that we will be getting a Megaraptor figure and if it will be good (which I assume it will be, it's Haolonggood after all) I'll plan to get it.

Quote from: Fembrogon on August 21, 2023, 02:59:51 AMJust look how long it took for us to get a proper Utahraptor, for example.

Yeah, it's surprising. Hell, it took awfully long until we finally got a proper Deinonychus figure too (2020, Safari). Dromaeosaurids are very overlooked, relative to the quality of their fossil remains. Makes me wonder how long will it take until we get a good Austroraptor or Halszkaraptor figure, for example.

avatar_Bread @Bread Thank you for letting us know!  :)

Sim

I think it's important to note the juvenile Megaraptor skull includes the premaxilla as well, so its snout is completely known and it's different to any other known animal skull.  It's like Cryolophosaurus, whose snout is unknown and there are more than one possibilities for how it looked, yet it's still worth making figures of it due to its unique appearance.

No megaraptoran figure that is currently available is a juvenile Megaraptor clone as none of them are based on its skull.  The Haolonggood version looks to be the first that is based on the juvenile Megaraptor.

Halichoeres

Quote from: vampiredesign on August 19, 2023, 03:48:04 AM:) There are also collections of other species in the album. Many prototype designs are my friends, and I have also collected a lot of their works. I also participate and interact with some of the work in the studio.When the network is stable, I will upload more and add them to the album.
I will repaint most of my collections. Haolonggood,I will sell some of my repainted personal works on Amazon.
By the way, the next new product is also coming soon. Dilophosaurus and Megaraptor Currently optimizing. :)

Was this the first confirmation that it was Megaraptor specifically? That works for me, I think the best one going (outside of resin kits) is the JW action figure, so I'll buy that.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Concavenator

Quote from: Sim on August 21, 2023, 03:19:58 PMI think it's important to note the juvenile Megaraptor skull includes the premaxilla as well, so its snout is completely known and it's different to any other known animal skull.  It's like Cryolophosaurus, whose snout is unknown and there are more than one possibilities for how it looked, yet it's still worth making figures of it due to its unique appearance.

You're right, the premaxilla is preserved and its snout is known, but that still doesn't make the skull fully known. Again, the lacrimal bones are missing and that area tends to be variable in theropods. The uncertainty about how the adult looked like is also mentioned by Porfiri et al. (2014):

Quote"The nasals of Megaraptor lack the rugosities along the lateral edge of the bone that characteristically occur in allosauroids and other basal tetanurans (e.g., Torvosaurus, Baryonyx, Allosaurus, Carcharodontosaurus, Dilong; Holtz et al., 2004). However, it cannot be ruled out that the absence of such rugosities might be a result of the juvenile condition of MUCPv 595."

Quote from: Sim on August 21, 2023, 03:19:58 PMNo megaraptoran figure that is currently available is a juvenile Megaraptor clone as none of them are based on its skull.  The Haolonggood version looks to be the first that is based on the juvenile Megaraptor.

I don't think so. Look carefully at the snouts in the figures I previously mentioned. They all have a narrow and shallow snout similar to that of the juvenile Megaraptor specimen, I would say even the CollectA Australovenator to some degree, surprisingly, since that figure was released prior to the description of said juvenile Megaraptor specimen.

Quote from: Concavenator on August 20, 2023, 05:31:41 PMActually, as it is right now, I think they've received too much attention already (Kaiyodo Maip, DinoZoo Orkoraptor, AAoD and CollectA's Australovenator, several Fukuiraptor figures...), it's just that we haven't had a proper figure of the type genus of the group yet.

Compare their skulls to the ones from the average derived tyrannosauroid (Alioramini excluded) and allosauroid and you'll see what I mean. That's why I said that all those figures are juvenile Megaraptor clones. And not just those figures, every single paleoartistic depiction of a megaraptorid that's intended to be accurate is based on Megaraptor (hence, they're juvenile Megaraptor clones). This can be observed in T. K. Robinson's megaraptorid skeletal composite:

Notice how pretty much all paleoart of megaraptorids are very similar to the above skeletal, depictions of the head included (as well as those in the aforementioned figures, more or less).

Quote from: Halichoeres on August 21, 2023, 03:39:47 PMWas this the first confirmation that it was Megaraptor specifically?

I think so. Previously though, Paleofiguras shared some rumours about them planning to release a megaraptoran, and also recently showed an alleged W.I.P.

Sim

Quote from: Concavenator on August 21, 2023, 05:18:45 PMI don't think so. Look carefully at the snouts in the figures I previously mentioned. They all have a narrow and shallow snout similar to that of the juvenile Megaraptor specimen, I would say even the CollectA Australovenator to some degree, surprisingly, since that figure was released prior to the description of said juvenile Megaraptor specimen.
I didn't think of the DinoZoo Orkoraptor as I don't think about resin figures, so sorry about that.  However all the rest don't look like they have a juvenile Megaraptor skull to me, especially not the Australian Age of Dinosaurs Australovenator and CollectA Fukuiraptor which have generic allosauroid heads.  The one exception is, surprisingly as you said, the CollectA Australovenator and yes it is weird because it was released before the juvenile Megaraptor was published.  Looking at it now, I'm actually liking that figure more than the AAOD version.  The latter is a very impressive figure but it'a too allosauroid and crocodilian looking for my liking.

Samrukia

thomasw100

Quote from: Samrukia on August 22, 2023, 01:30:23 PMeverythingdinosaur announced partnership with Haolonggood officially!

This is very much unexpected after they basically stirred the pot with making these unfounded claims that Haolonggood products would not be CE certified. In any event, the fact that after such issues Haolonggood still makes a contract with Everything Dinosaur highlights the open-mindedness and professionality of Haolonggood as a company.

Bread

Excellent >:D Now, this does open the door for reveals by Everything Dinosaur.

Quote from: Samrukia on August 22, 2023, 01:30:23 PMeverythingdinosaur announced partnership with Haolonggood officially!

https://blog.everythingdinosaur.com/blog/_archives/2023/08/22/stocking-haolonggood-prehistoric-animal-models.html

ceratopsian

It should benefit Haolonggood's sales figures and brand recognition and hence corporate growth to have partnered with a well-known seller in Europe (in the broad sense of the term). I've been happy to buy from AliExpress sellers but that is probably a pretty niche manner of acquisition.

suspsy

This is indeed good news!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

thomasw100

For those people residing in continental Europe, the way to go would be Speelboer in the Netherlands, who also partnered with Haolonggood recently. I have placed some orders with them and was always pleased by their high quality customer service and fast delivery.

Pliosaurking

dragon53

Flaffy

A bit of a shame that the newer versions have less complex paint apps compared to their thumbless counterparts. Especially noticeable on the green ver with the reduced white stripes.

Nevertheless the inclusion of the thumb spike alone is worthy of praise. The video demonstrates the difference in manus anatomy as well.

Prehistory Resurrection

Prehistory Resurrection

Roar

Quote from: vampiredesign on August 19, 2023, 03:48:04 AM:) There are also collections of other species in the album. Many prototype designs are my friends, and I have also collected a lot of their works. I also participate and interact with some of the work in the studio.When the network is stable, I will upload more and add them to the album.
I will repaint most of my collections. Haolonggood,I will sell some of my repainted personal works on Amazon.
By the way, the next new product is also coming soon. Dilophosaurus and Megaraptor Currently optimizing. :)
Oh yeah!!! Woohoooo a Dilophosaurus. In how many colours will it come?? I will collect them all  >:D mwuhahahaha. Dilophosaurus!!! One of my favourites!
Onwards to adventure!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: