You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Controversial opinions on dinosaur toys

Started by Ravonium, May 21, 2018, 07:39:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Concavenator

avatar_Takama @Takama The Eofauna Diplodocus is also brilliant, I don't think it gets better than that. If PNSO does one, it would have exposed teeth and it would also be more expensive (disclaimer: for the western market).

Gwangi

Quote from: Concavenator on August 25, 2023, 09:28:37 PMavatar_Takama @Takama The Eofauna Diplodocus is also brilliant, I don't think it gets better than that. If PNSO does one, it would have exposed teeth and it would also be more expensive (disclaimer: for the western market).

A lot of folks seemed to forget about that model when Rebor released theirs but I still think Eofauna's is superior. It's more accurate and smaller, and I consider the smaller size a good thing. It' still a beast and a shelf hog at the size it is.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Bread on August 25, 2023, 03:50:33 PMI still think everyone would not be so over these therapods if they had lips. It's not just the issue of nothing but large therapods, it's the fact that they have anatomy issues.

That's possible. I would probably buy more of them if they had lips. That said, I'm willing to be proven wrong on lips. I think lips are much more likely, but there is room for uncertainty on that.

Quote from: Gwangi on August 25, 2023, 10:42:03 PM
Quote from: Concavenator on August 25, 2023, 09:28:37 PMavatar_Takama @Takama The Eofauna Diplodocus is also brilliant, I don't think it gets better than that. If PNSO does one, it would have exposed teeth and it would also be more expensive (disclaimer: for the western market).

A lot of folks seemed to forget about that model when Rebor released theirs but I still think Eofauna's is superior. It's more accurate and smaller, and I consider the smaller size a good thing. It' still a beast and a shelf hog at the size it is.

Yeah, I really like EoFauna's Diplodocus. The Rebor is too large if anything.

Quote from: Takama on August 25, 2023, 02:23:44 PMHowever, I have to say due to the multitude and price of all of PNSOs models.  If they insist on makeing Theropods costantly now, then why dont they make Dromeosaurs?  AKA the second famous dinosaurs from a certain franchise.    The only one in that Collection i said, over and over is that Microraptor, and my wish is for them to make a Utahraptor at the least.

I have a guess, but it is just a guess. There might be enough collectors who only buy the things that are around 1:30 scale that PNSO has stopped making anything at larger scales. That would exclude most dromaeosaurs (although Utahraptor they could still make fit.)
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

CityRaptor

There is also the fact that the Rebor one is bendable. So it probably will end up like their Titanoboa. Or like other bendable figures at least.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Bread

Quote from: CityRaptor on September 01, 2023, 08:54:18 PMThere is also the fact that the Rebor one is bendable. So it probably will end up like their Titanoboa. Or like other bendable figures at least.
I believe this has been fixed. The Titanoboa was confirmed to be of a cheaper  or malleable rubber-like material.

So other current and future models shouldn't have the same issue.
Also, I've had Rebor's Kiss repainted and the bendable tail has had no issues even with a repaint applied.

Cannot 100% confirm for Diplodocus as of yet as its not in my hands. It's been repainted and so far I've been told it doesn't show any signs of tear for the neck or tail.

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 01, 2023, 07:53:26 PM
Quote from: Bread on August 25, 2023, 03:50:33 PMI still think everyone would not be so over these therapods if they had lips. It's not just the issue of nothing but large therapods, it's the fact that they have anatomy issues.

That's possible. I would probably buy more of them if they had lips. That said, I'm willing to be proven wrong on lips. I think lips are much more likely, but there is room for uncertainty on that.
True. Though I still find PNSO's choice to not add lips an annoyance as their previous museum line models had them.

Bread

I saw the "Eofauna - New for 2023" thread appear in recent post and instead of adding a post there, I decided to come to the controversial opinions thread regarding dinosaur toys.

I don't think the Eofauna Tyrannosaurus is living up to the anticipation and/or hype it has brought to the community. A wait this long will bring upon in due time the criticism it will face.

They should really just focus on sauropods and Proboscideans.

Dusty Wren

Quote from: Bread on September 11, 2023, 12:46:16 PMI don't think the Eofauna Tyrannosaurus is living up to the anticipation and/or hype it has brought to the community.

That is a super weird thing to say when we haven't actually seen the figure yet.
Check out my customs thread!

Lynx

On the topic of that Tyrannosaurus, I never liked the shown sculpt for it. Always felt like the other options, lips or not, were better.
An oversized house cat.

Bread

Quote from: Dusty Wren on September 11, 2023, 01:39:18 PM
Quote from: Bread on September 11, 2023, 12:46:16 PMI don't think the Eofauna Tyrannosaurus is living up to the anticipation and/or hype it has brought to the community.

That is a super weird thing to say when we haven't actually seen the figure yet.

Dusty Wren

That's not the figure. It's a 3D rendering. It's entirely digital. A lot can change when you move from a digital blueprint to a physical, mass-produced object.

If you've built up crazy expectations for a figure that hasn't been made yet, that's on you, not Eofauna.
Check out my customs thread!

Bread

Quote from: Dusty Wren on September 11, 2023, 01:53:50 PMThat's not the figure. It's a 3D rendering. It's entirely digital. A lot can change when you move from a digital blueprint to a physical, mass-produced object.

If you've built up crazy expectations for a figure that hasn't been made yet, that's on you, not Eofauna.
If you follow Eofauna's instagram, or various other social media applications and/or pages such as Paleofigures on FB who post regarding Eofauna figures, they've had this exact trend to post their 3D renders of figures that turn out 99% of the time the same as the figure. The not exact 100% being coloration. They did this with their Diplodocus, Giganotosaurus, and Triceratops, the Triceratops being the one exception as the horns were elongated more.

And as I stated in my original post regarding this "3D render" I stated that the anticipation and/or hype will not live up to the community. This is purely based on the nitpicks it has already received plus the wait.

edu

"The community" is the key there. In that sense, you are probably right, the wait has been too long, and in the meantime Cameron came and dinosaur_models_artworks gave him lips...
But I really think the toy will look quite different from the render. First of all, there is something strange going on with the texture, that i am sure will change when physically produced. The area around the the eyes looks "undefined" in the render, and that's something that the paint application will probably solve. And then, there is the issue of the jaw, we still have to see how they solve the articulation. On the other hand, we are only seeing it in profile, losing its potential bulkiness.

Sim

I'm happy the Haolonggood Pachyrhinosaurus is P. lakustai.

Eatmycar

I really, really want a fluffy Pachyrhinosaurus to add to the Pachyrhino takes. There's so much good paleoart of this most likely impossible reconstruction and not one toy? Seriously?

I'd absolutely love a BoTM fuzzy Pachyrhinosaurus to just pop on the shelves.

Fossilized-Rubber

Here's my controversial dinotoy opinion: cheap knockoff monocolour toys with dramatic curves, textures and goofy features are superior to scientifically accurate highly painted toys.
Now showing: The Lost World (1925)

My collection is here

Lynx

Quote from: Lynx on January 12, 2021, 01:28:02 AMA few unpopular opinions I have:
-  Papo has not been very appealing. I feel like a lot of their models are quite shrink-wrapped and have bland colors. To me, a lot of their recent releases have been a little disappointing.

- Eofuana is also pretty overrated. While I do love their new triceratops, the rest of the stuff does not appeal to me. The giga is quite overrated when their are plenty of other excellent models that may not succeed in accuracy, but look better paint wise. Another thing is the sauropod they made, which also seems to be quite overrated as well. I do not actually own the figure, but from the reviews/pictures I have seen, the paint job looks a bit sloppy and the coloration is a little funky.

- Safari was disappointing this year. While the spino was alright, the rest of the stuff I was not a huge fan of. An armored T rex? Seriously? I hope they do not continue with the medieval dinos.

I'm gonna update one of my earliest posts because I am bored and have nothing better to do;

- After the 2 or so years since that, I really like Papo now, one of my favorite companies, and while the newer releases are eh (but getting better), I genuinely enjoy their figures and they are starting to make up most of my collection.

- Just like Papo, I like Eofauna a lot more now. I actually own the Giga now, and it is great! One of my favorite figures. I disagree with everything else stated, I would gladly take Eofauna over almost every brand. Most of their figures are on my wishlist, and I am trying to get the Altasaurus this Christmas!

- The armored dinosaurs have a lot of charm for me now, and I don't mind them. Despite everything I said, I got both the Baryonyx and am ordering the Daspletosaurus.

My opinions have generally become more positive since then
An oversized house cat.

Fembrogon

Quote from: Fossilized-Rubber on September 12, 2023, 11:20:27 AMHere's my controversial dinotoy opinion: cheap knockoff monocolour toys with dramatic curves, textures and goofy features are superior to scientifically accurate highly painted toys.
Ooh, I'll bite on this one: what makes them superior, fundamentally, in your eyes? I'm very fond of some vintage & knockoff figures in my possession - the Sinclair T. rex and Gosnell Dilophosaurus are among my favorite representations of those respective genera - but to say those kinds of toys are unanimously, objectively better than the likes of Safari Ltd., PSNO, etc, is a bolder claim than I would care to make.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Fossilized-Rubber on September 12, 2023, 11:20:27 AMHere's my controversial dinotoy opinion: cheap knockoff monocolour toys with dramatic curves, textures and goofy features are superior to scientifically accurate highly painted toys.
Is it because they are very expensive and its unfortunate when they break/get lost. Kind of like how I'd prefer to drive a regulsr car over some Ferrari

Fossilized-Rubber

Quote from: Lynx on January 12, 2021, 01:28:02 AM- Safari was disappointing this year. While the spino was alright, the rest of the stuff I was not a huge fan of. An armored T rex? Seriously? I hope they do not continue with the medieval dinos.

Yikes! I thought you were exaggerating. An armoured t-rex!

Quote from: Fembrogon on September 12, 2023, 08:10:26 PMOoh, I'll bite on this one: what makes them superior, fundamentally, in your eyes?
I should clarify that I present my opinions as objective truths sometimes :D.

The exaggerated shapes of non-scientifically accurate toys are opinionated in a way that scientific models cannot be. They exaggerate features or add new ones. In monocolours you can see all the sculpting details which would otherwise be hidden by paint. The art of cheaply produced toys must overcome the cheap mold limitations and material costs and the small scale. They are full of subtle character and charm - a dinosaur from a specific run will have technique in common with other toys of that run. The dinosaurs actively evolve as they are bootlegged and the mould is recast and flaws appear or new patterns are chiselled in.

Chinasaurs are to accurate models as young adult fiction is to the scientific journal. They're just more enjoyable for the average person.

The topic is "controversial opinions" but I aim to convert you all  >:D

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on September 12, 2023, 08:15:20 PMIs it because they are very expensive and its unfortunate when they break/get lost. Kind of like how I'd prefer to drive a regulsr car over some Ferrari

There's a benefit to having a toy you can wipe off and put back on the shelf after playing with it in the dirt.
Now showing: The Lost World (1925)

My collection is here

Over9K

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on September 12, 2023, 08:15:20 PMIs it because they are very expensive and its unfortunate when they break/get lost. Kind of like how I'd prefer to drive a regulsr car over some Ferrari

As someone that owns and drives an Italian sportscar, I can say that's not really a good analogy.

You buy a regular car because you want to go places, carry stuff and people.

You buy a Ferrari because you want to DRIVE. The experiences are very, very different.

If driving a regular car is collecting cheap chinasaurs, then driving a Ferrari is riding a live T.rex.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: