News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO : New for 2023

Started by Renecito, February 08, 2023, 12:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faelrin

Nearly every comment in the instagram post is relieved and excited to see a theropod that finally has lips. So maybe this will help them consider continuing this trend going forward. Seems the tides are changing and that there is much more support for lipped theropods now then there was in the past.

That said it is another brown/orange/yellow theropod, but at least this one's coloration is similar to or consistant with the mini one. It also has lips like with the one from the set with the Chungkingosaurus, so hopefully this isn't a one off because of that.

At this point the only theropods I legitimately want to see from PNSO are oviraptorosaurs (Corythoraptor, Gigantoraptor, etc), potentially dromaeosaurids (strangely lacking, and something like Austroraptor would be good), and an updated Carnotaurus (with lips).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Stegotyranno420

I prefer the old one, the proportions here are not to my liking. Whu does it give me Dr.Seuss vibes?

Flaffy

What a damn shame they chose the subadult specimen for their reconstruction... Guess I'll have to wait for someone to make a proper Yangchuanosaurus. :-\

That said I appreciate the lips. Hopefully it's not a one & done deal, and it'll be an ongoing trend for the future. I do wonder if they will actually rerelease all their existing theropods with lips later down the line... I was on the fence about getting Cameron, but now I'm definitely hesitant. Don't want to be burnt again after getting Winter Wilson. O:-)

PrimevalRaptor

Another brown/orange theropod but at least there's FINALLY lips, some of their tyrannosaurs were pretty neat but the lack of those made me less interested in them. Pretty cool release especially since Yangchuanosaurus is kinda underrepresented despite being not even that obscure (imo)

Sim

Aah I hoped PNSO wouldn't remake Yangchuanosaurus as I'm happy with their museum series one.  I prefer the museum series one to this new one, so I will simply skip this new model.  I was hoping PNSO would continue with megalosauroids and release a new Spinosaurus...  That this new Yangchuanosaurus has lips is good, I'm curious about what PNSO's next lipped theropod will be.  Austroraptor perhaps?  If they release a new Spinosaurus I think I would prefer it to not have lips.

I understand the disappointment in another large theropod, but I don't get the complaints about its colouration as it has very similar colouration to PNSO's museum series Yangchuanosaurus.  PNSO is recycling that colour scheme for the same species, like they did for their new Giganotosaurus.  Also, there's nothing wrong with PNSO making a figure of the more complete subadult Yangchuanosaurus, it's still a "proper" Yangchuanosaurus, just like PNSO's most recent Spinosaurus is a "proper" Spinosaurus figure.  For that matter, I prefer companies released figures of the smaller, very complete Ceratosaurus nasicornis holotype than the larger Ceratosaurus dentisulcatus which doesn't preserve the horns.

thomasw100

Quote from: Sim on September 03, 2023, 04:16:25 PMAah I hoped PNSO wouldn't remake Yangchuanosaurus as I'm happy with their museum series one.  I prefer the museum series one to this new one, so I will simply skip this new model.  I was hoping PNSO would continue with megalosauroids and release a new Spinosaurus...  That this new Yangchuanosaurus has lips is good, I'm curious about what PNSO's next lipped theropod will be.  Austroraptor perhaps?  If they release a new Spinosaurus I think I would prefer it to not have lips.

I understand the disappointment in another large theropod, but I don't get the complaints about its colouration as it has very similar colouration to PNSO's museum series Yangchuanosaurus.  PNSO is recycling that colour scheme for the same species, like they did for their new Giganotosaurus.  Also, there's nothing wrong with PNSO making a figure of the more complete subadult Yangchuanosaurus, it's still a "proper" Yangchuanosaurus, just like PNSO's most recent Spinosaurus is a "proper" Spinosaurus figure.  For that matter, I prefer companies released figures of the smaller, very complete Ceratosaurus nasicornis holotype than the larger Ceratosaurus dentisulcatus which doesn't preserve the horns.

I would agree with all of that. The core of my frustration as mainly (but not exclusively) a collector of herbivores is that I simply do not believe that PNSO will ever issue such a line of species from other dinosaur groups like they are doing with standard theropods now. We are not far from the point where a full year of production is just theropods. And if this were not enough, not a single species from an unusual group like Spinosauroidea, Ornithomeimosauria, Oviraptorosauria or Maniraptora or even a feathered theropod. Maybe they want to frustrate people to the point where they will buy anything as long as it is not a standard theropod.

TheCambrianCrusader

So one hand another dang theropod..
On the other hand LIPS FINALLY!

I think the lips alone justify this guy's existence.

ceratopsian

I'd been thinking too that it must be close to a year since they made anything other than a theropod, T @thomasw100.  Of course I've bought a few, especially early on this streak, and I plan to get the Gorgosaurus and Megalosaurus when they reach Everything Dinosaur.  I'm not angry, as some members have suggested - that's not the right emotion at all - and they are handsome looking models.  But I do miss having my regular PNSO fix, so to speak.  Can't complain though - Haolonggood has produced some models to make my herbivorous heart sing.

Sim

Quote from: thomasw100 on September 03, 2023, 01:13:56 PMI worry that this is just the beginning of a wave of Methricantosauridae.
I would be surprised if it is.  There's only three members of that group known from good remains, the Yangchuanosaurus that is this new figure, Sinraptor hepingensis which PNSO has made last year, and Sinraptor dongi which I doubt PNSO would make as they already have a species of Sinraptor.  Also, the Megalosaurus didn't start a wave of megalosauroids, it seems to me PNSO has finished with the waves for now.

Quote from: thomasw100 on September 03, 2023, 04:41:09 PMThe core of my frustration as mainly (but not exclusively) a collector of herbivores is that I simply do not believe that PNSO will ever issue such a line of species from other dinosaur groups like they are doing with standard theropods now.
If I'm remembbering right, PNSO released Pachyrhinosaurus, Machairoceratops and Sinoceratops one after the other.  And Triceratops, Centrosaurus, Styracosaurus and Torosaurus were released by PNSO quite closely in time.

thomasw100

Quote from: Sim on September 03, 2023, 05:01:22 PM
Quote from: thomasw100 on September 03, 2023, 01:13:56 PMI worry that this is just the beginning of a wave of Methricantosauridae.
I would be surprised if it is.  There's only three members of that group known from good remains, the Yangchuanosaurus that is this new figure, Sinraptor hepingensis which PNSO has made last year, and Sinraptor dongi which I doubt PNSO would make as they already have a species of Sinraptor.  Also, the Megalosaurus didn't start a wave of megalosauroids, it seems to me PNSO has finished with the waves for now.

Quote from: thomasw100 on September 03, 2023, 04:41:09 PMThe core of my frustration as mainly (but not exclusively) a collector of herbivores is that I simply do not believe that PNSO will ever issue such a line of species from other dinosaur groups like they are doing with standard theropods now.
If I'm remembbering right, PNSO released Pachyrhinosaurus, Machairoceratops and Sinoceratops one after the other.  And Triceratops, Centrosaurus, Styracosaurus and Torosaurus were released by PNSO quite closely in time.

About the sequence of herbivores. Pachyrhinosaurus, Machairoceratops and Sinoceratops were in 2020, Triceratops was in 2021 and Centrosaurus, Styracosaurus and Torosaurus were in 2022. So no more than 3 ceratopsians in one year. And in these years there were always some theropods as well.

Lynx

I personally get excited when companies do not fully grown specimens to represent as figures, but I can understand the potential frustration
An oversized house cat.

Concavenator

I wouldn't be surprised if the next figure we see is a remade Ceratosaurus.

Quote from: ceratopsian on September 03, 2023, 04:59:28 PMI'd been thinking too that it must be close to a year since they made anything other than a theropod, T @thomasw100.

It actually has been more than a year now since their last non-theropod. Their last one was the Lingwulong (July 2022). Ever since, their releases have been like this:

Siamosaurus -> Deinocheirus -> Therizinosaurus -> Suchomimus -> Giganotosaurus -> Meraxes -> Mapusaurus -> Tyrannosaurus -> Daspletosaurus -> Lythronax -> Albertosaurus -> Gorgosaurus -> Megalosaurus -> Yangchuanosaurus.

So this Yangchuanosaurus is the 14th theropod in a row.

Quote from: Flaffy on September 03, 2023, 03:57:18 PMI do wonder if they will actually rerelease all their existing theropods with lips later down the line... I was on the fence about getting Cameron, but now I'm definitely hesitant. Don't want to be burnt again after getting Winter Wilson. O:-)

Not sure if all of their theropods, but no way PNSO isn't releasing an updated Tyrannosaurus, complete with lips, at some point...  ::)

thomasw100

Quote from: ceratopsian on September 03, 2023, 04:59:28 PMI'd been thinking too that it must be close to a year since they made anything other than a theropod, T @thomasw100.  Of course I've bought a few, especially early on this streak, and I plan to get the Gorgosaurus and Megalosaurus when they reach Everything Dinosaur.  I'm not angry, as some members have suggested - that's not the right emotion at all - and they are handsome looking models.  But I do miss having my regular PNSO fix, so to speak.  Can't complain though - Haolonggood has produced some models to make my herbivorous heart sing.

You express exactly my sentiment which is more disappointment and frustration rather than being angry. I like PNSO models but not so much these standard theropods. They are all nice models with great sculpt and paint application but honestly I am not so much into these groups. I got actually a few PNSO theropods which feel a bit special, like the Therizinosaurus, the Deinocheirus, the Yutyrannus and the Suchomimus. But now I am hooked up with Dinosauria Creatures and they fortunately have a rich selection of herbivores. They just finished a Camarasaurus in 1:35 scale and the have also a Kentrosaurus and a Tarchia in the making.

Faelrin

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator Okay I wouldn't be opposed to a Ceratosaurus if they do one. That one slipped my mind earlier. Definitely a Morrison formation theropod that needs an updated model.

Edit: Of those theropods you listed, at least Deinocheirus and Therizinosaurus were herbivorous, and weren't lipless carnivorous ones. The rest on the other hand are (new Yangchuanosaurus aside). I think that's the biggest problem. Aside from those two, they've been neglecting those that aren't strictly toothy carnivores, theropod and otherwise (edit 2: scaly as well now that I think about it). Like if they did an oviraptorosaur for example, I imagine many folks would feel some relief, even if it is yet again another theropod.

The lack of color diversity among many of these releases is another sore point for some. Like if they did another like the Suchomimus or Meraxes, it would also help go a long way to refreshing things up. And despite this Yangchuanosaurus having reason to be colored the way it is, it still unfortunately continues that trend.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

John

This new Yangchuanosaurus is a must have for me. ;D
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Quiversaurus

Oh wow, it actually has lips. This feels rather momentous, momentous enough to overshadow the brown paint scheme and the fact that it's another theropod.

I can't wait to see reviews of this, compared to the older Yangchuanosaurus. And it seems PNSO are in the business of updating their models, what with Biber the Stegosaurus, Cameron, Lucas, and now this guy. Wonder who'll be next... Maybe their Chungkingosaurus.

I don't particularly mind that it's a model of a subadult - it's still a highly accurate figure, and that brings variety!

Sim

I forgot to say, I like that PNSO is putting the full species name on the box now.  I hope they keep it up.  I also hope they don't remake Chungkingosaurus, I'm happy with the museum series one and would like something that appeals to me from PNSO.

SidB

Quote from: John on September 03, 2023, 05:28:19 PMThis new Yangchuanosaurus is a must have for me. ;D
You said it right!

SidB

Quote from: Quiversaurus on September 03, 2023, 05:53:43 PMOh wow, it actually has lips. This feels rather momentous, momentous enough to overshadow the brown paint scheme and the fact that it's another theropod.

I can't wait to see reviews of this, compared to the older Yangchuanosaurus. And it seems PNSO are in the business of updating their models, what with Biber the Stegosaurus, Cameron, Lucas, and now this guy. Wonder who'll be next... Maybe their Chungkingosaurus.

I don't particularly mind that it's a model of a subadult - it's still a highly accurate figure, and that brings variety!

Agreed. I'm very excited a lipped theropod from PNSO. Could this mean that we'll get an updated, lipped Cameron?

thomasw100

Quote from: Sim on September 03, 2023, 06:09:01 PMI forgot to say, I like that PNSO is putting the full species name on the box now.  I hope they keep it up.  I also hope they don't remake Chungkingosaurus, I'm happy with the museum series one and would like something that appeals to me from PNSO.

I have to strongly disagree on the last statement. I would very much like if they would remake the Chungkingosaurus, so that the totally ignored herbivore fans would also get some crumbs from the leftover. You theropod fans have been served very well. The way PNSO designs their sculpts nowadays is so much better now. So why should the herbivore species not deserve an upgrade? So far only two were ever updated, Triceratops and Stegosaurus.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: